Political Correctness Rides Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from an actual review, not a parody.

“The Secret Life of Pets 2,” on the other hand, for which both Renaud and Lynch reprise their roles, effectively acts as an animated ode to heteronormativity, toxic masculinity and patriarchal worldviews, passed off as harmless plot points to entertain young audiences.

Making matters worse, Harrison Ford is cast as Rooster, a hyper-masculine shepherd dog brazenly teaching Max how to toughen up. Rooster shames Max for going to therapy and wearing a medical collar to prevent him from scratching himself out of stress. Ford’s character essentially stigmatizes mental illness and dismisses treatment as a made-up sign of weakness.

https://www.thewrap.com/the-secret-life-of-pets-2-film-review-patton-oswalt-harrison-ford/

Vardoger

Like To Roam The Land
This is from an actual review, not a parody.

“The Secret Life of Pets 2,” on the other hand, for which both Renaud and Lynch reprise their roles, effectively acts as an animated ode to heteronormativity, toxic masculinity and patriarchal worldviews, passed off as harmless plot points to entertain young audiences.

Making matters worse, Harrison Ford is cast as Rooster, a hyper-masculine shepherd dog brazenly teaching Max how to toughen up. Rooster shames Max for going to therapy and wearing a medical collar to prevent him from scratching himself out of stress. Ford’s character essentially stigmatizes mental illness and dismisses treatment as a made-up sign of weakness.

https://www.thewrap.com/the-secret-life-of-pets-2-film-review-patton-oswalt-harrison-ford/
How dare they portray the dogs as straight in this day and age? That's LGBTQ-ofobic.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
And sometimes I think people just want to get their mediocre articles read, so they make absurd comments about a mediocre movie.
Some writers are just bitter they've never been quoted on a poster.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Making matters worse, Harrison Ford is cast as Rooster, a hyper-masculine shepherd dog
'Rooster' is the American term for what Brits call a cockerel or a cock. 'Cock' is considered a very rude word over the pond*.
So yeah, maybe Rooster is supposed to embody toxic masculinity. Or he's just a prick.

*Brits love how the word 'cock' has extra meanings. At work recently someone complained about their neighbours' noisy chickens. We all waited eagerly for him to get to the bit where we could reply 'Oh, so you're always being woken up by a cock? Lucky you!'

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48492619
A band criticised for calling on members of the Conservative Party to be killed have had their Glastonbury Festival booking cancelled.
Killdren were invited to appear at Glastonbury's Shangri-Hell International TV stage on 28 June.
One of their songs is called Kill Tory Scum - which the Jo Cox Foundation said has "completely abhorrent" language.
In a statement, Shangri-La said it was "incredibly saddened" at the attention the Killdren booking received.
It added: "We in no way condone violence and will not allow this matter to overshadow the incredibly inclusive spirit of Glastonbury.
"As a result we have taken the decision to withdraw the booking".

Ah the sjws doing the old I'm offended on every ones else's behalf for god sake people it's satire but no they've got there way and the band gets pulled.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48492619
A band criticised for calling on members of the Conservative Party to be killed have had their Glastonbury Festival booking cancelled.
Killdren were invited to appear at Glastonbury's Shangri-Hell International TV stage on 28 June.
One of their songs is called Kill Tory Scum - which the Jo Cox Foundation said has "completely abhorrent" language.
In a statement, Shangri-La said it was "incredibly saddened" at the attention the Killdren booking received.
It added: "We in no way condone violence and will not allow this matter to overshadow the incredibly inclusive spirit of Glastonbury.
"As a result we have taken the decision to withdraw the booking".

Ah the sjws doing the old I'm offended on every ones else's behalf for god sake people it's satire but no they've got there way and the band gets pulled.
There was a big spread on this band's material and apparent ethos in yesterday's Sunday Telegraph, which seemed to take it all very seriously.
Satire is lost on elderly rich people.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
There was a big spread on this band's material and apparent ethos in yesterday's Sunday Telegraph, which seemed to take it all very seriously.
Satire is lost on elderly rich people.
Doesn't really qualify as satire though does it?

Using wit, irony or sarcasm as tools of ridicule doesn't generally extend to calls to kill.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Doesn't really qualify as satire though does it?

Using wit, irony or sarcasm as tools of ridicule doesn't generally extend to calls to kill.
Satire, properly put, ironically deconstructs the words and actions of the target.

This is just tribal grunting.

Glastonbury clearly ceased to be Glastonbury a long time ago.

AlDqGHzCEAAahSN.jpg

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Oh come on if it was a serious threats to kill the police would be involved and the bands music banned from being sold.
The police seem to have other priorities (and rightly too) these days, but this case isn't unique. Rap and "Drill' acts have been banned for promoting misogynist, homophobic and inter-gang violence.
I don't recall anyone arguing that they were merely being satirical.

Ogdred Weary

Sooner than expected.
The police seem to have other priorities (and rightly too) these days, but this case isn't unique. Rap and "Drill' acts have been banned for promoting misogynist, homophobic and inter-gang violence.
I don't recall anyone arguing that they were merely being satirical.
A key difference there though is that many of those bands have convictions or at least charges for actually carrying out some of the things they rap about, I very much doubt that Killdren (HURR) have killed any Tories, be they scum or otherwise.

We're living in times where someone found himself in trouble for teaching his dog to do a Nazi salute. And you think a band like this should be able to spew out this kind of shit with impunity?

Jo Cox was killed by an extremist (or so we are led to believe). Look it up. The left have recently been slowly inching from throwing milkshakes to those they call 'fascists' and now they are testing what else they can get away with.

No doubt I'll be in trouble for bringing politics up but fuck it, Megadeth's idiotic post started this. Unlike these fucking plastic punk mouth breathers I was actually part of the late punk scene and I well remember the forerunners of antifa-'Class War'. What a wonderful bunch they were.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
"the forerunners of antifa"

Misuse and gross overuse of the term "fascist" is a particular bugbear of mine.

Who better to define it than the " Father of (modern) Fascism" Benito Mussolini.

All within the state.

Nothing outside the state

Nothing against the state.

Thus, the best way to oppose fascism is never to vote for any party seeking to grow the state and to curtail individual liberty.

That has to be more effective than throwing milkshakes over war veterans.

With their lyrics ostensibly advocating violence against people whose politics they disagree with, the likes of 'Killdren" are, arguably, far closer to fascism than those they rant against.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
@Megadeth1977 , @drbastard in particular but said generally :)

* If the reasonable responses to a post can only be political then one has to wonder why that post is being made here.

* Whatever the provocation, please do not descend into politics.

There are many many places we can flex our political muscles. This isn't one of them and hasn't been for some time!

Frides

"the forerunners of antifa"

Misuse and gross overuse of the term "fascist" is a particular bugbear of mine.

Who better to define it than the " Father of (modern) Fascism" Benito Mussolini.

All within the state.

Nothing outside the state

Nothing against the state.

Thus, the best way to oppose fascism is never to vote for any party seeking to grow the state and to curtail individual liberty.

That has to be more effective than throwing milkshakes over war veterans.

With their lyrics ostensibly advocating violence against people whose politics they disagree with, the likes of 'Killdren" are, arguably, far closer to fascism than those they rant against.
Throwing a milkshake over someone isn't the same as physically attacking someone because of their religion or race.

But I would agree that democratically elected politicians like Farage and veterans should not be targets.

Someone like Tommy Robinson who goes into areas looking for trouble and actually assaulting people is another story though. But only if it's done by locals.

redmilkshake.jpg

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
@Megadeth1977 , @drbastard in particular but said generally :)

* If the reasonable responses to a post can only be political then one has to wonder why that post is being made here.

* Whatever the provocation, please do not descend into politics.

There are many many places we can flex our political muscles. This isn't one of them and hasn't been for some time!

Frides
i was not making this political.

Megadeth1977

Justified & Ancient
We're living in times where someone found himself in trouble for teaching his dog to do a Nazi salute. And you think a band like this should be able to spew out this kind of shit with impunity?

Jo Cox was killed by an extremist (or so we are led to believe). Look it up. The left have recently been slowly inching from throwing milkshakes to those they call 'fascists' and now they are testing what else they can get away with.

No doubt I'll be in trouble for bringing politics up but fuck it, Megadeth's idiotic post started this. Unlike these fucking plastic punk mouth breathers I was actually part of the late punk scene and I well remember the forerunners of antifa-'Class War'. What a wonderful bunch they were.
pm me next time or now.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
“The word Fascism has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies "something not desirable”.

George Orwell, Essays

maximus otter

Fair point. Certain states, even today though, tick pretty well all the fascist boxes - North Korea, China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Syria spring immediately to mind.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Throwing a milkshake over someone isn't the same as physically attacking someone because of their religion or race.
A) The difference between throwing a milkshake and a punch is one of degree, not type--they are both assault.

B) Religion is just another set of beliefs. The fact that a person may feel like these beliefs are core components of his identity is neither here nor there; other people hold non-religious beliefs that are similarly fundamental to their senses of self. The fact that religious beliefs may have been passed on for a number of centuries (or millennia) and have picked up a veneer of ritual and respectability on the way makes no real difference, and neither does the number of adherents.

If you can legitimately milkshake somebody for their political beliefs, you can legitimately milkshake them for their religious beliefs.

Race is something you cannot change, that ought to be off-limits, but culture, religion and politics are fair game. I would encourage anybody who would listen to show respect for others out of good manners and a need for us all to get along together, but there ought not be any legal sanction if good manners are forgotten.

C) I think it's better all round if nobody punches or milkshakes anybody. I haven't considered my personal threshold for assaulting somebody, but it's pretty limited and would not include any of the current bogeymen. I'll challenge words with words, not fists or beverages.

And, no, words are never violence--that's just silly talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.