Political Correctness Rides Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Throwing a milkshake over someone isn't the same as physically attacking someone because of their religion or race.

But I would agree that democratically elected politicians like Farage and veterans should not be targets.

Someone like Tommy Robinson who goes into areas looking for trouble and actually assaulting people is another story though. But only if it's done by locals.

View attachment 17798
We're not just talking about elected politicians though Ramon.

This elderly gentleman had a milkshake thrown over him simply for wearing a Brexit rosette.

Whilst I'm a Remainer and would never contemplate voting for Farage's party, I was utterly disgusted by the actions of the yob who threw the milkshake. It's people like that who give Remain a bad name.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ilkshake-outside-polling-station-wearing/amp/

We're not just talking about elected politicians though Ramon.

This elderly gentleman had a milkshake thrown over him simply for wearing a Brexit rosette.

Whilst I'm a Remainer and would never contemplate voting for Farage's party, I was utterly disgusted by the actions of the yob who threw the milkshake. It's people like that who give Remain a bad name.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ilkshake-outside-polling-station-wearing/amp/
I also mentioned that gentleman. I'm equally disgusted.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Misuse of the word "satire" is fast approaching misuse of the word "fascist". Recently Jess Phillips MP had to deal with rape threats from men saying they were merely being satirical. There's a difference between making parodic and pointed jokes on current themes and being a total arsehole. We've all met people who say awful things to us and when challenged about it claim they were only joking. Don't blame us for you having a shit sense of humour.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Misuse of the word "satire" is fast approaching misuse of the word "fascist". Recently Jess Phillips MP had to deal with rape threats from men saying they were merely being satirical.
To be accurate, it was an 'un-rape' comment (i.e. the opposite of a rape threat). But yes, he really shouldn't have said it.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
I also mentioned that gentleman. I'm equally disgusted.
Just read in today's Metro that a Trump supporter in London yesterday was surrounded by a dozen or so protesters screaming "Nazi scum" whilst pelting him with milkshakes.

I guess the irony of the rent-a-mob bullies acting like cowardly fascist thugs, whilst calling their victim a "Nazi" would be lost on them.
Just hope the left-wing thugs don't disrupt the D-Day commemorations in Portsmouth today.

Just read in today's Metro that a Trump supporter in London yesterday was surrounded by a dozen or so protesters screaming "Nazi scum" whilst pelting him with milkshakes.

I guess the irony of the rent-a-mob bullies acting like cowardly fascist thugs, whilst calling their victim a "Nazi" would be lost on them.
Just hope the left-wing thugs don't disrupt the D-Day commemorations in Portsmouth today.
I condemn the attack on the Trump supporter. I wish people would be even handed in their condemnation of such acts though. When Corbyn was not just egged but punched recently some here thought it was jolly good fun and that the assailant should not be prosecuted.

I haven't seen any suggestions (other than yours) that there will be left wing protests against the D-Day Commemorations, as distinct protests against Trump . It's much more likely that Hitler fans would protest at the idea of commemorating the D-Day Landings. Ones who have a history of violence far worse than throwing milkshakes.

Tommy Robinson supporters perform Nazi salutes at violent London protest, amid warnings of return to racist street movements
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-police-arrests-attacks-prison-a8393566.html

Judge lays into Tommy Robinson fan who graffitied 'Hitler was right' around city for ignorance of Nazis
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-robinson-fan-graffitied-hitler-right-around/

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Gentle reminder to remain free of political stuff....

Frides
Fair enough. Hopefully we can all agree that throwing eggs, flour or milkshakes over people is unacceptable behavior.

To move things back to a theme of political correctness, I see that Doctor Who author and scriptwriter Gareth Roberts, himself a gay man, has been dropped by BBC Books due to quips he made a couple of years ago about transgender people's choice of names:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...logy-writer-transgender-tweets-gareth-roberts

Fair enough. Hopefully we can all agree that throwing eggs, flour or milkshakes over people is unacceptable behavior.

To move things back to a theme of political correctness, I see that Doctor Who author and scriptwriter Gareth Roberts, himself a gay man, has been dropped by BBC Books due to quips he made a couple of years ago about transgender people's choice of names:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...logy-writer-transgender-tweets-gareth-roberts
That is appalling. He deserves our support.

Contact the BBC to protest: http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
That is appalling. He deserves our support.

Contact the BBC to protest: http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/
Articles focusing on the "funny names" bit are rather missing the point. Two tweets, one of which uses what would now be a bullying word, the other saying that he doesn't accept the basic premise.

As usual, media twisting and manipulating.

TRAs strike again.

On 5th June 2019, feminist campaigner, activist, journalist and author Julie Bindel was attacked after appearing and speaking at a panel at Edinburgh University on women’s rights and protections.

As she was leaving the event, a transactivist who goes by the Twitter handle “TownTattle” (I won’t link to either the account nor reference by the assumed name, more on that later) attempted to push through security to presumably physically attack Bindel for her daring to talk about women’s sex-based rights as a biological class; as opposed to advocating for the absolutely facile, redundant and offensive argument that “woman” is just an identity that can be embraced or disregarded on a whim.

He was shouting and ranting and raving, ‘you’re a fucking cunt, you’re a fucking bitch, a fucking Terf” and the rest of it. We were trying to walk to the cab to take us to the airport, and then he just lunged at me and almost punched me in the face, but a security guard pulled him away.
I got my phone out to film him to get evidence and he went for me again. It took three security guys at the stage to deal with him.

https://medium.com/@tom_farr/male-silence-and-male-violence-a-marriage-of-complicity-ad669b87c800

Vardoger

Like To Roam The Land
TRAs strike again.

On 5th June 2019, feminist campaigner, activist, journalist and author Julie Bindel was attacked after appearing and speaking at a panel at Edinburgh University on women’s rights and protections.

As she was leaving the event, a transactivist who goes by the Twitter handle “TownTattle” (I won’t link to either the account nor reference by the assumed name, more on that later) attempted to push through security to presumably physically attack Bindel for her daring to talk about women’s sex-based rights as a biological class; as opposed to advocating for the absolutely facile, redundant and offensive argument that “woman” is just an identity that can be embraced or disregarded on a whim.

He was shouting and ranting and raving, ‘you’re a fucking cunt, you’re a fucking bitch, a fucking Terf” and the rest of it. We were trying to walk to the cab to take us to the airport, and then he just lunged at me and almost punched me in the face, but a security guard pulled him away.
I got my phone out to film him to get evidence and he went for me again. It took three security guys at the stage to deal with him.

https://medium.com/@tom_farr/male-silence-and-male-violence-a-marriage-of-complicity-ad669b87c800
Those crazed trans activists make all trans persons look bad, as they in a way are representing them in the media.

Frideswide

Staff member
Those crazed trans activists make all trans persons look bad, as they in a way are representing them in the media.
People who can't tell the difference between an outlier non-representative subset and the main group need to examine their critical skills. Are these idiots anything more than the usual "oooooooh it's different it's nasty/ungodly/unnatural" people?

Amongst people who are capable of, at least, a more nuanced reaction, are any taken in or unable to see it for what it is?

People who can't tell the difference between an outlier non-representative subset and the main group need to examine their critical skills. Are these idiots anything more than the usual "oooooooh it's different it's nasty/ungodly/unnatural" people?

Amongst people who are capable of, at least, a more nuanced reaction, are any taken in or unable to see it for what it is?
It's incredible the amount of puwer the TRAs have. They are destroying careers.

Frideswide

Staff member
Not the point I am making.

However, it is possible to be a TRA without being any of the things you object to.

Labelling the behaviour as typical of a group when it is not doesn't help in any way that I can see. Happy to be educated though :)

However, it is possible to be a TRA without being any of the things you object to.

Labelling the behaviour as typical of a group when it is not doesn't help in any way that I can see. Happy to be educated though :)

I don't believe that Trans Rights Activists are representative of those campaigning for Trans-Sexual rights.

The behaviour is typical of "Trans Rights Activists" though. The ones who carry out the attacks.

Plenty of info here: https://womansplaceuk.org/

Ogdred Weary

Sooner than expected.

I mostly, if not entirely agree. However, trans people have become far more visible/prominent/vocal etc in recent years and this has seems to have coincided with the increase in frankly arsehole behaviour among some trans people.

I don't think the vocal, arsehole minority represent trans people in general, anymore than I think the nuttier conspiracy theorists (indeed) or other believer types represent Forteans but I can see why people conflate the two. All this is happening whilst many other arsehole extremist groups gain popularity in all political spheres. I don't want to single out trans people - there are wankers in every group.

God* help us all.

* who may or mat not exist, personally I worship Cthulhu, he increasingly, is the least of all evils.

Status
Not open for further replies.