Political Correctness Rides Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Seeing as how she immediately said it was a bad idea and she hated the whole milkshake phenomenon, Farage is coming across as quite the "snowflake", to use his term. VCM makes a very good point, with many anti-PC mouthpieces it's one rule for them, another rule for everyone else.
So you support the milkshake attacks?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
So you support the milkshake attacks?
No, I don't like them either, not sure how you got there from what I said. It's sad that political discourse from all sides has been reduced to flinging insults when nothing constructive ever gets done. But this is getting a bit political, I don't know how much further we can go with this on here.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
The BBC, in its infinite and not at all hypocritical wisdom, leapt to the defense of Ms Brand, following her bizarre comments on BBC Radio 4.
This is the same BBC that dropped Danny Baker faster than an angry tarantula for poking gentle fun at the media frenzy surrounding the royal baby by comparing it to a chimp in a posh suit.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
View attachment 17996
Video:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-london-48126998/my-passport-gender-should-be-non-binary

I think Jamie has missed the point of a passport. Since their inception passports have been about the government classifying you, not you classifying yourself to the government. The government would have to be mad to allow applicants to choose their own sexual and gender identities on official documents and systems, because they would very soon have an unsustainable number of permutations that would prevent intelligent record keeping, and their ability to make projections and estimates would likely be significantly impaired.

Had to include the picture. Jamie clearly would have wanted us to see it.
Spotify seem to have come up with a reasonabe solution - you can be Male, Female, or Non-Binary.

Doesn't solve the problem of people self-identifying (with no medical input) as the opposite gender without actually doing anything about it.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Well, the point of Heresy is that the guests speak controversially, so it's in the format of the show. Danny Baker was never a guest on Heresy.
I don’t think it was a live show and given that Have I Got News For You has lawyers going over the proceedings, I reckon it would have taken about an hour for the legal department to review this before being aired. In which case, I’m sure the comment would have been pulled. We can’t have people, however hilarious they think they are as a way of making a living, advocating throwing battery acid over people in public life. And then ask me to pay for that.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I don’t think it was a live show and given that Have I Got News For You has lawyers going over the proceedings, I reckon it would have taken about an hour for the legal department to review this before being aired. In which case, I’m sure the comment would have been pulled. We can’t have people, however hilarious they think they are as a way of making a living, advocating throwing battery acid over people in public life. And then ask me to pay for that.
I seem to recall that the BBC didn't give Julian Clary any work for a long time after his salacious comments about Norman Lamont.
Yet, for some reason, they are defending Jo Brand for making a far worse comment.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
At least Jo Brand has a second joke now. “Ooh, look how fat l am. Men are shits!” was wearing a bit thin.

maximus otter
Generalizing a bit? She does working-class humour about being married, anyone who has been married for years can find it quite funny. She isn't much different from Les Dawson, (not as good), etc. I think she is part of a great traditional working-class humour.

I don't think she's ever built her act on the "men are shits" schtick - she's just taken the piss out of us and women too, which is fine. I laugh about stuff that happens in my marriage with other people because it's normal and they share their experiences too.

This has been going on since Chaucer.

what comedy do you watch then?

Ogdred Weary

Sooner than expected.
Generalizing a bit? She does working-class humour about being married, anyone who has been married for years can find it quite funny. She isn't much different from Les Dawson, (not as good), etc. I think she is part of a great traditional working-class humour.

I don't think she's ever built her act on the "men are shits" schtick - she's just taken the piss out of us and women too, which is fine. I laugh about stuff that happens in my marriage with other people because it's normal and they share their experiences too.

This has been going on since Chaucer.

what comedy do you watch then?
Many comedians end up with a schtick, I've not seen her on anything for many years but I do recall that almost every other joke was about how fat she is. I don't recall her slagging off men much, no more than she slagged off women as you say, and far less than she slagged off herself.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Many comedians end up with a schtick, I've not seen her on anything for many years but I do recall that almost every other joke was about how fat she is. I don't recall her slagging off men much, no more than she slagged off women as you say, and far less than she slagged off herself.
She's only made me laugh once with the quality..:

"Women sometimes ask me what's the way to a man's heart? ... it's four ribs up and three inches to the left."

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting

I wonder why she did the fat jokes? Ex-psych nurse? I wonder why? Helped make it ok that women don't fucking starve themselves to death? Or puke up meals because they hate themselves? Or just go through life ashamed about how they look?

Yep, she's old hat, that Jo Brand.

Last edited:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
The BBC, in its infinite and not at all hypocritical wisdom, leapt to the defense of Ms Brand, following her bizarre comments on BBC Radio 4.
This is the same BBC that dropped Danny Baker faster than an angry tarantula for poking gentle fun at the media frenzy surrounding the royal baby by comparing it to a chimp in a posh suit.
It's also the same BBC that dropped Carol Thatcher when, after a glass of wine, off-air and in the privacy of the Green Room, she referred to a black tennis player as a "cuddly golliwog". She was ratted out by Adrian Chiles and - drum roll! - Jo Brand!

Let's see if the BBC has any standards apart from "double".

maximus otter

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
It's also the same BBC that dropped Carol Thatcher when, after a glass of wine, off-air and in the privacy of the Green Room, she referred to a black tennis player as a "cuddly golliwog". She was ratted out by Adrian Chiles and - drum roll! - Jo Brand!

Let's see if the BBC has any standards apart from "double".

maximus otter

ffs - really?

Ogdred Weary

Sooner than expected.
I wonder why she did the fat jokes? Ex-psych nurse? I wonder why? Helped make it ok that women don't fucking starve themselves to death? Or puke up meals because they hate themselves? Or just go through life ashamed about how they look?

Yep, she's old hat, that Jo Brand.
I wasn't slagging her off, just making an observation. She's a big woman or was, and society automatically sees fat people as targets for abuse, women in particular; so it's understandable as a comedian she'd pre-empt the hecklers. I used to find her funny - and still might if I saw her again but would often eye-roll at the preponderance of "I'm fat" jokes.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
I wasn't slagging her off, just making an observation. She's a big woman or was, and society automatically sees fat people as targets for abuse, women in particular; so it's understandable as a comedian she'd pre-empt the hecklers. I used to find her funny - and still might if I saw her again but would often eye-roll at the preponderance of "I'm fat" jokes.

Not having a go at you OW.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Thing is, there are double standards in this and that is what I find perhaps most unpleasant about it.

Say something about throwing battery acid on Farage, or Trump, or anyone else who "the powers that be" have deemed to be worthy of ridicule, and it is, by some standards, (e.g. BBC), acceptable. "Just a joke", and all that.

But say the same thing about... say, trans gender people, or Asians, and suddenly there is lots of sucking in of breath and "ooh you can't say that" and Jo Brand would likely be sacked forthwith from the BBC, never to work there again.

There shouldn't be a difference.

For the record, I disagree with throwing anything at people as a form of protest, be it milkshakes, eggs, and certainly not battery acid.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
She was ratted out by Adrian Chiles and - drum roll! - Jo Brand!
She assumed QTCV. Maybe she was relying on them not wanting to rock the boat even if they didn't agree.

She called their bluff, they decided not to play her game.

That's not "ratting out".

Neither is a schoolkid who won't accept having their sweeties nicked. Or a family which decides to give evidence against the drug dealers next door.

Double standards?

The BBC went the wrong way on this, as did she.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
It is an, 'If ya face fits' thing
Thing is, she's working class white. Same as the working class white groups who are very vocal that they are disenfanchised, BBC is rubbish etc etc etc. According to the stereotypes that's an unusual person for the BBC!

Status
Not open for further replies.