• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

POLL: Favourite Fortean Subject?

What's your favourite Fortean subject?

• Ghosts

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Cryptozoology

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Urban legends / folklore

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Ufology

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Magic(k) and the occult

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Earth science

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New science/strange science

• Religon & cults

• Conspiracies

• Parapsychology

• Other

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
For me it's ghosts. Earth science and New science/strange science hold little interest to me, though if pressed to make a second choice, it could have been any of the others. I have seen a number of unexplained lights in the sky, the most recent and most visually exciting was 3 days before Christmas last year and the idea of alien visitation has always intrigued me. I like the thought of yet to be discovered beasts roaming the Earth and it's oceans plus most facets of the paranormal and occult hold my attention.

Probably Cryptozoology but I've become less interested the more sceptical I've become. I'm interested at least a little in all Forteana, especially from a psycho-social perspective. UFOs/aliens have always been my least favourite, not sure why.

Wow, that was a really hard choice. I eventually went with Cryptozoology after a lot of soul-searching.

I still secretly hope that someday I can call the police and say "Hello, is this 9-1-1 Emergency? Police Please... Officer, there is a very tall man in a monkey suit busting up my house. I think he's on drugs. Send a SWAT team, he's really big."

Cryptozoology, no surprises there. Folklore and ghosts are interesting too and the odd uncatagorizable stuff.

It Happened to Me (IHTM) started me off on Forteana, not least because it not only covered a range of topics, but it happened to me .. or you or us. Won't cry if the tales get poo-pooed, wasn't trying to convert anyone, just looking for a possible explanation or a glint of recognition from some-one with a similar experience. Which box was that again ?

It Happened to Me (IHTM) started me off on Forteana, not least because it not only covered a range of topics, but it happened to me .. or you or us. Won't cry if the tales get poo-pooed, wasn't trying to convert anyone, just looking for a possible explanation or a glint of recognition from some-one with a similar experience. Which box was that again ?

I may be misinterpreting your intent, but ...

There is no check-box for IHTM.

IHTM isn't a Fortean subject per se - it's simply a category for first-person reports (which could be in the context of any Fortean subject).

NOTE: As time goes on, we're going to pay more attention to limiting IHTM items to first-person reports. Other reports (second- / third-person; FOAF; etc.) will get progressively weeded out of the IHTM section and transferred elsewhere.

Another comment ... The often-overlooked and under-utilized Notes & Queries section is intended to be the place to post items of general Fortean interest and / or to post questions or requests for info, clarification, or help.

I voted for Ufology. I feel it's possibly the topic that we're most likely to eventually learn some concrete facts about, most likely through some Wikileaks type of exposure...

It's all so interesting. Hard to choose. Might be more useful to rank everything in the list.
I voted for ghosts. I do feel a lot of overlapping interest in Urban Legends and in Folklore. To me, the are often closely related--I've known all my life that the Vanishing Hitchhiker lived, er, prowled, at White Rock Lake, near my Aunt's house. How can anyone refute the slumber-party talk of my childhood?
I'm for anything that provides a shiver and goosebumps. :freak:

I voted ufology, but cryptozoology is another favorite, but aren't these all part and parcel to conspiracies? Very hard to vote for just one.

Back