• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

POLL: Have Your Experiences Confirmed Your Beliefs Or Not?

Have your experiences confirmed, modified, or challenged your beliefs?

• Confirmed - my experience(s) fit perfectly with what I already believed

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Altered - my experience(s) almost fit with my beliefs, but led me to change my beliefs a little

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Challenged - my experience(s) clashed with my worldview, so I had to change my beliefs

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Contradicted - my experience(s) clashed with my worldview, but I'm fine with it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please post)

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

decipheringscars

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
For those who have had fortean / paranormal experiences, have your experiences tended to confirm, challenge, or modify beliefs you held at the time? Or maybe your experience was in an area you had not considered before, and so had no beliefs already formed.

For example, the few experiences I've had didn't fit in with the version of Christianity I was raised with (Pentecostal, which is quasi-fundamentalist), but do fit in with my chosen tradition, Anglicanism (in the Catholic tradition). If I had a different religious persuasion, I probably could fit them into that.

I don't mean to limit this to religious beliefs, though. There's a similar thread in the Ghosts forum that asks whether people have had their beliefs changed, but I'm looking for something perhaps a little more specific - whether fortean or paranormal experiences have changed your beliefs, or tended to conform to your beliefs, etc.

Even if you answer the poll, please post with details if you can!

For example, if you've experienced communication from a deceased loved one, did it fit with what you already believed about death, challenge it, slightly modify it in some way?

I didn't used to believe in reincarnation because I didn't see how it was possible (scientifically) but I had a memory of a previous life when i was 17. It caused me to give up christianity for buddhism (because that acknowledges past lives). Many years on I remember more and more lives - the experiences of this don't even tie in with most things that have been written about reincarnation frankly - although it depends. I would rather trust my experiences.

I found out recently that there are references to reincarnation in the bible and this has made me interested in christinanity again (well a bit, at least I don't completely dismiss it out of hand like i used to). To the gnostic christians a belief in reincarnation in central but this is stamped out in mainstream christinanity. Its the same with other religions - the jews don't really believe in reincarnation as such but the kabbalists do; islam doesn't believe in reincarnation but the sufis do. You've got to wonder why this pattern is there.

So i supposed i'm saying that i have come to realise that this is actually a widespread belief but you're told its not your told you're a freak or something. So I would say my experience confirms beliefs that are widespread and are out therebut its not the same as the mainstream beliefs you grow up immersed in.

This one is a little difficult to answer, but the best way I can try and put it (I put 'other' in the poll) is that I had such a good number of excellent fortean/paranormal experiences by the time I was 12 that they firmly embedded themselves into my evolving belief systems.

So I suppose I'd say that all further anomalies I've experienced since then, would be an outcome I'd fully expect of life.

At that time, the experiences did stand out to me as being "not normal", but then again being young and inexperienced I took it in my stride.

In that way as I've matured I suppose this central kernal of forteanism, to give it a name now, has kept me from 'believing too much'. For example: when going through school I took a keen interest in physics (wanted to know how the universe worked) and I took it all the way to PhD level. But, to take a terrible analogy, the belief and use of modern physics was like a fine set of clothes - great to have on and keep out the cold of irrationality, but I always knew that it was only a particular set of clothes and something that I could take off and replace (ok put them nicely and neatly folded up in a drawer so that I could take them out and use them when I needed them!)

That doesn't mean to say I would be blase about seeing a ghost/UFO etc.., To this day anomolous/fortean/paranormal events I find fascinating and very powerful.

I've not been so much convinced by my own experiences, which have been few and far between, but by other peoples', collated and studied.

My most significant Fortean thing was of the "religious experience" variety (described here) and it very much contradicted my understanding of the nature of life, the universe, and everything. However, the experience was not exactly "religious" - i.e. does not align with any set of religious beliefs I know of, did not reveal the existence or non-existence of God or an afterlife - and I can't really say that it has led me to any new "understanding" of things. Except to make me see most all belief frameworks - traditional church-style religion, anti-religion/atheism, fuzzy New Age spirituality, whatever - as being completely banal and insufficient. It totally convinced me that there's a huge hidden other layer of reality, and that things matter, somehow, but beyond that I have no clue.

So I guess in my case, it made me aware of the fact that things really are really really mysterious without providing much in the way of concrete answers.

I've had a few borderline odd things happen to, and around, me. But my beliefs seem firmly unencumbered by my experiences, or those of others, which is a shame as I'd like to believe (or suspect!) that there's more magic in the world than is obvious to me personally!

For instance, the other day something whistled in my ear when I was home alone in a quiet house, on a quiet street, on a quiet day, etc. Within seconds I'd decided it was an auditory hallucination, though.

In my heart I'm openminded but in my gut I'm a hard-wired sceptical atheist. I still consider myself a Fortean, though, of course.

Although this post by Again6 did take me out of this for a while, and to date it's one of my favourite theories :)

Quote below:

again6 said:
There's really no concrete evidence that 'we' are grounded in our physical bodies. Certainly, it's been shown that if specific areas of the brain are stimulated by researchers, specific emotions and memories result, but this may be similar to tuning a radio in to different stations.

None of us believes that news and weather, music, discussions, commercials, etc are contained within the radio itself. We realise that what we hear is accessed by means of the radio's tuning device/knob/dial. We appreciate that the news, weather, music etc. emerges from various radio stations/channels, which in turn may be located two miles away or ten thousand miles away, depending on the quality and type of radio.

Similarly (imo) our brains may 'tune into' a variety of stations/channels. Some of us may have limited-range type brains --- whilst others (similar to short-wave radios) are able to tune into distant and even exotic stations/channels. This may account for the fact some people are able to access information (clairvoyance or precognition for example) which seems impossible to others.

Our memories (and consciousness/subconscious/superconscious) may not be stored within the physical brain at all, but may be 'offshore' or 'out there somewhere', i.e., 'Mind'. It may be that the brain handles physical funtion ... and also acts as radio-tuner for access of emotion, memory, thought, etc.

When people suffer loss of short or long-term memory as the result of injury to the brain, it may be that the brain's tuning-mechanism has become damaged, resulting in its inability to any longer 'tune into' short or long term memory which is located in Mind.

In this way, our 'minds' could be regarded as the 'real us' ... with the brain (and body) being merely the physical/temporary embodiment of 'us' on earth. In other words, 'you' (the person you are right now, this moment) may actually be an outpost of a much larger, more complex you. 'You' may have lived many times, may have sent many 'yous' to reside on earth for a 'lifetime'. Each earth-you would have experienced and learned many things, all of which were/are relayed to the larger Mind via the physical brain. Bodies wear out and have a limited life, so it's imperative that the information gained by 'you' be transferred to your Mind, for filing, dissemination, storage, etc. This may explain why some people seem so much more 'advanced' than others, in terms of ability, etc. Some Minds may have simply learned more, or have more lives/experience in storage. This might account for child prodigies, geniuses, etc. It may explain what used to be termed 'idiot savants' (sorry, can't remember the current term right now).

It seems to me that our Minds may be the central storage/transmittors for several physical bodies simultaneously. If so, it would mean that several physical bodies (on this planet and elsewhere) are all tranmitting-to and tuning-into the same Mind at the same time. It could be seen as a 'cluster', all connected to the same Mind. Members of 'your cluster' could contain you, a grey alien, a Redwood tree, an old farmer in Africa, a dolphin -- not to mention people who lived 200 years ago or who will 'liive' 200 years into the future. This theory could explain how some people are able to see into the past, into the future (although they're probably all one) etc. I suspect our sleep-time is involved in all this.

And, if we pursue it further, who's to know if our Minds are not themselves part of a cluster connected to something larger? If pursued further again, we can see that eventually, all the Minds and Larger Minds merge/feed back into what ? ... the Universal Consciousness ... God ?

They say each of us is related to every 33rd person on the planet. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that we *are* actually all One. But like cells in a body or stars in a sky, we see and sometimes feel ourselves to be separate. The wise ones say separateness/individuality is just an illusion. Our egos support that illusion. Perhaps on this planet, in this lifetime, we are required to believe we are separate ... only to coalesce, rejoin, share, combine ... at the end of this life. Certainly, those who've astral travelled or experienced NDE's, speak of being freed from the ego, speak rapturously of joining pure love, acceptance, joy.

We're not 'born equal'. Some of us are dealt much easier/harder cards at birth. It makes sense (I'm sure we all deeply intuit this) that at some point there must be balance, fairness, release. In the meantime, we all struggle with our individual burdens, here in this lifetime, possibly all, from our different vantage points, contributing to something much more -- via our brains which transmit to our Minds which in turn relay it all to ...?

All of the above, depending on the situation(s) ...

learning all the time.
having seen "fairies" that I could not rationalise away really made me re think my "every thing is explicable" outlook. Then I discovered this website which was full of people who have experienced similar moments of doubt.

In a way it is quite reassuring to know I am not the only one.

Voted for "Changed my beliefs a little" based on the experience I had at Waverley Abbey ruins.
Where I had previously thought of ghosts as possibly being disembodied spirits, hearing something inexplicable, like a recording switching on and off, made me consider the "Stone Tape" theory as a more likely explanation.

Or do your beliefs shape and generate your experiences?

Or do your beliefs shape and generate your experiences?

Good point, although I think it's a dialectic, I feel that the majority of the time our beliefs do far to shape our perceptions of our experiences than the other way around. The classic psychological example is fundamentalist Christians dismissing dinosaurs because it interferes with their belief in a way "young Earth".

I can't believe that only 6 people have voted in this poll since 2007.

I just voted 'Other' since I have had anomalous experiences that seemingly contradict accepted norms but I've not changed my views (I would not say "beliefs") since I lacked adequate evidence to change my views. I base my views on evidence, as far as possible.

My own eye witness experiences are informative but do not necessarily, on their own, provide me with enough evidence to know what to make of what I have seen (or think I have seen).

Mine have changed over my life.

As a kid, like most, psychic powers, ghosts, ufos, mysteries occupied the same appealing space as comic books, superheros, scifi, and magic. They appealed because they filled your imagination. .

In my later teens however i went the opposite way.. i got a book by James Randi in which he gave dismissive,debunking explanations for all kinds of things, and I accepted every word of it with the self satisfied glee of being in on the magician's secret.

Ultimately i became - and in many ways remain - a complete contrarian. If the believer or experiencer was talking on TV I'd poke holes in their silly story, but if the professional sceptic popped up I'd be shouting "hold on a minute..what you've just said doesn't explain what we just heard ."

Over the years, with my own experiences, I've become much more certain of the reality of certain things (namely that the mind is more than the brain) and consequently - certainly on here - ive become much more of the anti-sceptic. Or rather, sceptical about much scepticism.

Voted 'Other'. Because the main 'paranormal' experiences I've had were before I had any concept of the things that I now believe in. Those experiences made me believe in those things, once I was older and able to read about things and find out what it was that I'd experienced those years earlier.

I'd grown up without any preconceptions about... well, anything, I don't think. So when 'odd' things happened* I just took them for what they were at the time.

*I've just realised that the majority of the 'odd things' all happened when I was living in one particular house (not all inside that house, but all at that period of my life). Aside from my very first strange experience, which happened on several occasions but was when we lived in a different town.

"Convictions make convicts" - Robert Anton Wilson. I get what he means (I think) - don't have beliefs and avoid them if you can, but it's better by far to merely have suspicions.

Or suspect, anyway...

Back