• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Poltergeists On Native Burial Lands

macqdor

Junior Acolyte
"...This is a story I have been meaning to write about for quite some time, but somehow other stories always showed up and distracted my focus away from this particular poltergeist. I cannot say whether or not this poltergeist, which is of a local nature, still exists today, in fact, there is a possibility the building has long since been torn down. What I can say is that I came upon a very intriguing story online about an old haunted farmhouse on Headquarters Road in Courtenay, B.C. The paranormal experience occurred in the early 1970’s when The Comox Valley was still a small, relatively undeveloped town that was riddled with small mom and pop stores and locally run businesses. Here is a tale of a young woman via 1970’s as she reported to"

https://thecuriousfortean.com/2017/05/30/poltergeists-on-native-burial-lands/#comments

I thought the notion of poltergeists in ancient burial grounds started with the movie of The Amityville Horror in 1979 (was it in the book?) and was popularised in the blockbuster Poltergeist in 1982?

Key word is "popularized". Many people don't understand that a Poltergeist is by definition an "angry or noisy" ghost. There really not ghosts perse'. More like energy, pure raw emotion gone amonk. Some can be demons or minions. There's a lot we don't know about them. The common belief now, the theory talked about the most if Poltergeist origins can be traced back to some adolescent female e.g. teenager, etc.

I think thats wrong based on my own experience with Poltergeist.

So if poltergeists are traced to adolescent females, what would this have to do with ancient burial grounds? Where did the association derive from outside of the movies and pop culture?

Well Native Americans were the traditional Spirit Guides from way-back. Something to do with Spiritualism's American roots.

English mediums were struggling to do "Red Indian" voices at seances well into the 20th Century. :rolleyes:

That's right, there's a Native spirit guide for Jim Morrison in The Doors (movie), memorably spoofed in Wayne's World 2. Don't know how much of that was based in truth either.

Please understand not all Poltergeist phenomena is tied to adolescent children (girls) Hollywood over simplifys alot of what "Giest" are known for. ₩e know so little about Poltergeist in general that alot of guesses and theories have become accepted fact. More attention and study needs done. The phenomena is real. It's elusive and it happens way more than people realize.

Back