Poltergeists

salt-man

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
I would caution that one personal example is not a fair basis to make a VERY sweeping generalization loaded with culturally-derived assumptions.

From what I've gleaned across the board, from historical to recent, poltergeist episodes could be centered around pre-pubescent girls but this concept never been clearly elucidated and CERTAINLY never has been established. In fact, some researchers have suggested the entire troubled family contributed (in whatever way - normal or paranormal).

Well no, which is unsurprising, as the whole phenomena has not been 'established'. Before we worry about anecdotal evidence of prepubescent girls being the most common focus (and why that should be problematic I can't understand) perhaps we need to establish what is actually happening. If anything.

As for culturally derived assumptions....my own experience supports the stereotype of adolescent boys tending towards horny and aggressive and adolescent girls tending towards hysterical and very susceptible to group pressure.,,,make of that what you will.

Perhaps young males can release their energies with fits of agression or destruction, whereas young females require the opportunity to group in public places in order to be annoying.

TL;DR Teenagers - deeply troubled, wildly annoying and a general affliction on society.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Might the following, historical, newspaper accounts be of interest?

They are the two earliest I can find and would gladly search for others, if worthwhile.

Simply not sure if these are already well known and therefore probably all which I would find.

From the 'North Star', Vermont in 1825 and the 'Guardian' published in 1868:

www.forteanmedia.com/p_001.jpg

www.forteanmedia.com/p_002.jpg

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The mayor of Armenia, Colombia is being haunted by a poltergeist. Take a look at the terrifying footage he has posted to YT:

He asks for our prayers to combat it. No matter how much it looks like a man falling over, it was a real polt attack, dammit!

Eponastill

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Might the following, historical, newspaper accounts be of interest?
excellent

The Muchelney case is cool - the noises were very loud it seems. And when the noises are that loud, you can't really put it down to people mucking about (not if you know where they are). I've got other newspaper reports on it somewhere. (I should put something together really). People visited to debunk it, but their theories seem more outlandish than if you were to believe it was just a good old common or garden poltergeist. Such is often the way with forteana I think :)

It's interesting that similar things come up through the years like 'the stones are invisible until they strike', that the phenomena 'followed the family wherever they went' from the first one. And from the second, that the noises were considered to sound weird 'with no reverberation'.

I mean you might think 'it's all guff' and that people knew stories so when they're hoaxing they copy what's gone before. But I think I like to believe in some of them. There's more meat to a poltergeist than a ghost, so to speak, because everyone present experiences (presumably) the same physical things. The cynic thinks all ghosts are hallucinations, but they have to put poltergeists down to hoaxing.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
It's interesting that similar things come up through the years like 'the stones are invisible until they strike', that the phenomena 'followed the family wherever they went' from the first one. And from the second, that the noises were considered to sound weird 'with no reverberation'.
Was it the Enfield case where lego bricks were appearing in mid-air with velocity? I'd never associated that with the stone throwing common to poltergeist reports before, but I suppose it's just an updating of that.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It is a mistake to think that poltergeist equals wild and crazy stuff.

It’s the small stuff, like items missing or out of place, noise in walls and crooked pictures, and screws unscrewed out of your furniture.

If something crazy has been videotaped, it is probably a set up and not true.

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Reaction score
Poltergeist caught on Ghost Adventures camera. Scaring the shit out of one of the investigators(Nick Groff?).
You can barely see a brick being trown in the low light condition.

WeirdExeter

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Was it the Enfield case where lego bricks were appearing in mid-air with velocity? I'd never associated that with the stone throwing common to poltergeist reports before, but I suppose it's just an updating of that.
Re: I read or heard somewhere lately* that either the photographer who got hit with the lego brick or one of the witnesses to that happening absolutely believes what happened BUT found the whole issue with the 'man' speaking through the girl to be, quote, "childish". Have to say I have watched a video of her apparently channelling his voice and she is grinning and not the slightest bit perturbed by what is supposedly happening to her.

*Think it was Danny Robins (Battersea Poltergeist researcher) on the Mysteries and Monsters podcast.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
Re: I read or heard somewhere lately* that either the photographer who got hit with the lego brick or one of the witnesses to that happening absolutely believes what happened BUT found the whole issue with the 'man' speaking through the girl to be, quote, "childish". Have to say I have watched a video of her apparently channelling his voice and she is grinning and not the slightest bit perturbed by what is supposedly happening to her.

*Think it was Danny Robins (Battersea Poltergeist researcher) on the Mysteries and Monsters podcast.
The voice being channelled by Janet never really felt part of the overall phenomenon. Not to me, anyway.

EDIT: Are there any other cases of poltergeist speaking through people that way?

Lb8535

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Poltergeist caught on Ghost Adventures camera. Scaring the shit out of one of the investigators(Nick Groff?).
You can barely see a brick being trown in the low light condition.

This particular program has always irritated me. Bunch of drama queens. They go looking for paranormal experiences and when they have one they run screaming and have an anxiety attack and talk about their feelings endlessly. Apparently whoever owns the program is getting very wealthy. All of this makes me very dubious. I prefer the plumbers.

Okarin

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
The voice being channelled by Janet never really felt part of the overall phenomenon. Not to me, anyway.

EDIT: Are there any other cases of poltergeist speaking through people that way?
I agree and in his book Playfair did concede that the girls did make some of the phenomena up to play to the legend, but he did accept that the voice was real at that point I have to say that he lost me a bit.

WeirdExeter

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I agree and in his book Playfair did concede that the girls did make some of the phenomena up to play to the legend, but he did accept that the voice was real at that point I have to say that he lost me a bit.

Also the information she provides about how the man died was most probably local knowledge, especially at that time when communities were closer. In fact, she was probably told it by other children in the street.

But yeah, it's the fact she is grinning and almost laughing whilst "channeling his voice" that makes it unbelievable for me. She also has an overbite which makes it harder to see her lower mouth and larynx etc.