• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Poltergeists

I had a poltergeist. Or rather, our house had a poltergeist when I was a teenager. It stayed after I moved out when I was 19, and seemed to gradually fade rather than stopping right away. This would be late 1990's.

I had a poltergeist. Or rather, our house had a poltergeist when I was a teenager. It stayed after I moved out when I was 19, and seemed to gradually fade rather than stopping right away. This would be late 1990's.
Have you posted the story on this message board? Because I think we'd all be interested. If you haven't, this is the very thread to do so.:)

Have you posted the story on this message board? Because I think we'd all be interested. If you haven't, this is the very thread to do so.:)
Yes, please give us a full account.

Going off on a tangent a bit sorry but does anyone else remember the Little House On The Prairie epsisode that showed one of the young daughters as the epicentre of polt attacks? .. I've tried to find it on you tube without any success so far.

Going off on a tangent a bit sorry but does anyone else remember the Little House On The Prairie epsisode that showed one of the young daughters as the epicentre of polt attacks? .. I've tried to find it on you tube without any success so far.

Crikey, you have some memory? Yes, I have a memory of that. I remember thinking how silly it was at the time.
Can't remember the year but believe it was the 70's. The Enfield Poltergeist was in the public imagination at the time.
That particular episode may have been made for the British market, as it was a popular series here at the time.
Should like to view that one again. I have a feeling that people complained, as it went against the grain regarding the programs' 'wholesome' image of small-town America.

Crikey, you have some memory? Yes, I have a memory of that. I remember thinking how silly it was at the time.
Can't remember the year but believe it was the 70's. The Enfield Poltergeist was in the public imagination at the time.
That particular episode may have been made for the British market, as it was a popular series here at the time.
Should like to view that one again. I have a feeling that people complained, as it went against the grain regarding the programs' 'wholesome' image of small-town America.
Yes they did and yes it does exist! thank you Stuart! .. if anyone's getting bored of looking for that elusive Thunderbird pic that's supposed to be nailed against a barn, can I have a hand finding at least info on this episode instead please ? ..

Could it have been:

The Waltons Season 7 Episode “The Changeling”
...when Elizabeth hit puberty and all hell broke loose on Walton mountain. Clinging desperately to her youth and unwilling to accept the inevitability of her oncoming decrepitude, the no longer adorable gingerfrau Elizabeth inadvertently invites a poltergeist to terrorize her family with sub-par piano playing, and the smashing of worthless heirlooms.
http://www.kindertrauma.com/?p=20

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0743707/

Could it have been:

...when Elizabeth hit puberty and all hell broke loose on Walton mountain. Clinging desperately to her youth and unwilling to accept the inevitability of her oncoming decrepitude, the no longer adorable gingerfrau Elizabeth inadvertently invites a poltergeist to terrorize her family with sub-par piano playing, and the smashing of worthless heirlooms.

Thank you very much ! :)

The Waltons. Well known for having a lead actress with a man's name.
And all that 'g'night Jon-Boy' business.

Could it have been:

Yes, thank you ramonmercado. When I've watched the episode I'll let you know if its the same one I was thinking of.

Hello everyone.

No pressure!

My experience is difficult to describe in some ways though. This happened in a 1950s council house on a run down estate in the north of England. Very un-spooky. The least atmospheric place I have ever lived in fact!

Ok so when I was around 14 - 15 my family was under a lot of pressure, with a death, coupled with parental divorce, and my father's alcoholism and breakdown.

After my dad left, as a family, my mother, younger brother and I began to experience a range of phenomena in the house. These could generally be divided into:

Disappearances
Small but essential items would vanish. Not in the sense of being mislaid really, but more like here-one-minute-and-gone-another. Keys, shoes, and umbrellas were favourite. They would go from right under your nose and could be gone for minutes, hours, days or weeks.

Appearances
They would come back again. When they came back, they would be in very unlikely places - a pair of shoes in the middle of a made bed, for example. A set of keys half way up the stairs. An umbrella on its own in the middle of the living room carpet. When you touched them then, they would be ice cold as if they had been left outside on a frosty day.

Sound
There was a recurring sound - not connected to things coming and going - that sounded like a heavy thing like a sturdy book being dropped onto a soft surface like a sofa. It always sounded close by, as if in the same room, but I never caught a glimpse of anything that could cause it.

Lights
Regularly, the lightbulbs would blow in the midst of a particularly stressful situation. Sometimes in more than one room simultaneously (maybe fuse-related?).

There was also a night when my mother dreamt that my father was walking round the house. I had had nightmares that night that someone was trying to get into my room. In the morning my dad phoned to say that he had dreamt of us all and that he missed us.

These things, however small and silly sounding, went on for years. We were miserable about them, though we were all, I think, ambivalent about the cause. We didn't talk about it really. I left home at 19, in 1998. Things tailed off slowly, but not immediately.

I remember talking to my mum on the phone about 6 months or maybe a year after I had left. It was the first time she had really spoken about what happened (to me, at least). She told it in the style of 'a funny story', but said that her shoes (I think it was) had disappeared just as she was going to work. In frustration she stood in the living room and shouted
'All right! I'll believe in you if you bring my bloody shoes back RIGHT NOW!' She turned around and they were sitting in a pair on the carpet.
'So I suppose I owe you an apology' she told me. 'I always thought you were doing it, but I suppose now that you weren't.' I wasn't doing it, by the way. Consciously at least. Who knows what we do unconsciously? And can we do it at a distance?

Anyway, happy to answer questions, though I may not have answers. That's all for now I think. This post is already very long! Apologies.

Hello everyone.

No pressure!

My experience is difficult to describe in some ways though. This happened in a 1950s council house on a run down estate in the north of England. Very un-spooky. The least atmospheric place I have ever lived in fact!

Ok so when I was around 14 - 15 my family was under a lot of pressure, with a death, coupled with parental divorce, and my father's alcoholism and breakdown.

After my dad left, as a family, my mother, younger brother and I began to experience a range of phenomena in the house. These could generally be divided into:

Disappearances
Small but essential items would vanish. Not in the sense of being mislaid really, but more like here-one-minute-and-gone-another. Keys, shoes, and umbrellas were favourite. They would go from right under your nose and could be gone for minutes, hours, days or weeks.

Appearances
They would come back again. When they came back, they would be in very unlikely places - a pair of shoes in the middle of a made bed, for example. A set of keys half way up the stairs. An umbrella on its own in the middle of the living room carpet. When you touched them then, they would be ice cold as if they had been left outside on a frosty day.

Sound
There was a recurring sound - not connected to things coming and going - that sounded like a heavy thing like a sturdy book being dropped onto a soft surface like a sofa. It always sounded close by, as if in the same room, but I never caught a glimpse of anything that could cause it.

Lights
Regularly, the lightbulbs would blow in the midst of a particularly stressful situation. Sometimes in more than one room simultaneously (maybe fuse-related?).

There was also a night when my mother dreamt that my father was walking round the house. I had had nightmares that night that someone was trying to get into my room. In the morning my dad phoned to say that he had dreamt of us all and that he missed us.

These things, however small and silly sounding, went on for years. We were miserable about them, though we were all, I think, ambivalent about the cause. We didn't talk about it really. I left home at 19, in 1998. Things tailed off slowly, but not immediately.

I remember talking to my mum on the phone about 6 months or maybe a year after I had left. It was the first time she had really spoken about what happened (to me, at least). She told it in the style of 'a funny story', but said that her shoes (I think it was) had disappeared just as she was going to work. In frustration she stood in the living room and shouted
'All right! I'll believe in you if you bring my bloody shoes back RIGHT NOW!' She turned around and they were sitting in a pair on the carpet.
'So I suppose I owe you an apology' she told me. 'I always thought you were doing it, but I suppose now that you weren't.' I wasn't doing it, by the way. Consciously at least. Who knows what we do unconsciously? And can we do it at a distance?

Anyway, happy to answer questions, though I may not have answers. That's all for now I think. This post is already very long! Apologies.
Great post! I wasn't too long at all, I could have read much more.

Thanks PeteByrdie. And to the Likers. It's not something I've disclosed very often actually, and I found it quite difficult to 'confess'!

I'd be very happy to hear about others' first hand accounts, or of any pet theories or explanations that people have.

Personally I lean more towards a kind of 'energy' (sorry to be so vague) that can extend from the body in moments of crisis, enough to manifest externally. I think at some point in the future physics may even be able to explain it.

Hello everyone.

No pressure!

Disappearances

Appearances

Sound

Lights

When did this happen?

Hello everyone.

No pressure!

Disappearances

Appearances

Sound

Lights

Hello everyone.

No pressure!

Disappearances

Appearances

Sound

Lights

Hello everyone.

No pressure!

Disappearances

Appearances

Sound

Lights

Do you have any recollection of strange/unexplained movement in the curtains? The main curtains or nets? A sort of twisting movement?

I've been looking for news footage of the Society for Psychical Research's investigation into my aunts house in Bournemouth back in 1983 but can only seem to find one or two news photos and they're from Arthur C. Clarke's World of Strange Powers.

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/01/17/jspr-volume-52-1983-the-bournemouth-poltergeist/

12510324_10153273556111994_6003527282396920633_n.jpg

12400576_10153273556301994_2358375037480191379_n.jpg

Last edited:
I've been looking for news footage of the Society for Psychical Research's investigation into my aunts house in Bournemouth back in 1983 but can only seem to find one or two news photos and they're from Arthur C. Clarke's World of Strange Powers.

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/01/17/jspr-volume-52-1983-the-bournemouth-poltergeist/

12510324_10153273556111994_6003527282396920633_n.jpg

12400576_10153273556301994_2358375037480191379_n.jpg

Is it in one of these episodes?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-yUD-FK9S6mIyW2VSvGY0w7NJtriAcaP

A Bournemouth poltergeist case from 83-84 is briefly mentioned just over half way down the page on this link ...

http://monkeywah.typepad.com/paranormalia/poltergeists.html

Last edited:
A Bournemouth poltergeist is mentioned in the book of the series. It is on page 34 in my edition. No pictures.

It gives the date as August 1981, the family name and Abbott Road as the location.

"In August 1981, the B----- family of Abbott Road in the select English holiday resort of Bournemouth fled their home, resolving never to return, after the house was apparantly ransacked by a poltergeist. The pictures splashed over the newspapers showed broken crockery and food strewn all over the kitchen floor, and the accompanying articles told of furniture which suddenly took to the air before crashing to the ground."

A Bournemouth poltergeist is mentioned in the book of the series. It is on page 34 in my edition. No pictures.

It gives the date as August 1981, the family name and Abbott Road as the location.

"In August 1981, the B----- family of Abbott Road in the select English holiday resort of Bournemouth fled their home, resolving never to return, after the house was apparantly ransacked by a poltergeist. The pictures splashed over the newspapers showed broken crockery and food strewn all over the kitchen floor, and the accompanying articles told of furniture which suddenly took to the air before crashing to the ground."
Thanks for that finding, I've only got the Mysterious World book.

My aunt was about 14 at the time and refuses to talk about it.

No, sorry Stuart. Why do you ask?

The unusual twisting of curtains would be evidence of a Vortex, which in turn would suggest the presence of a 'dimensional portal.'(D.P) This is not the same as a 'dimensional bubble,'(D.B). These D.B's tend to sit over a particular area for a period of time. Those that experience Ghostly apparitions normally wander (unknowingly) into these D.B's, though it could be that the D.B formed over those beneath and thereby 'Enchanted' them. This happens when a period of Re-Enchantment is taking place. Re-Enchantment is a process of repair to our own dimension, which has become damaged. If it were not for this repair, then our dimension would descend into Chaos.
The issue of D.P's is different in that they are linked by two locations. Some of the evidence you give would suggest this was the cause of your own experience. Maybe, you just didn't notice the curtains? That would hardly be surprising as the twisting movement is usually quite a gentle process and would suggest the strength of the Vortex. These Vortex's can, I believe, vary in strength. I have no knowledge of how far these D.P's can stretch, but the process is as follows: At one end of the vortex, activity is taking place and that activity is carried along the 'plane' of the vortex and reproduces itself at the other end. This doesn't have to be enchanted activity. In fact, I would suggest that mostly, it is mundane in nature. That is because it could be a reflection of someone else's activity at the other end of the vortex.
This can work both ways. You may drop a book on the floor and someone at the other end hears a sound as if it had happened right next to them, and Vice-versa. This process can be rather hit and miss as the activity between the two portals can react much like an out of tune radio. Briefly, that is the reason why I asked.

Yes, you are correct. The Enfield case has particular intere as st for me.
I enjoyed watching the series The Enfield Haunting based on the case, with Timothy Spall as Maurice Grosse. Thought it was brilliantly done.

Also thought When the Lights Went Out (2012) was very good, I recommend watching it if you haven't seen it yet. It's based on the ''The Black Monk of Pontefract'' case and set in 1974 in West Yorkshire.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Lights_Went_Out

Back