• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Poltergeists

She may well have been suspected by others - and the flip side of that is that she may have felt responsible. Both reasons not to make a big deal.
Just found this little article from the Bournemouth Daily Echo, it says she was 17 rather than 14 like I thought.

The first sign that not all was well in that house at Abbott Road, Winton, was the eerie howling of the family’s pet Labrador.
Living at the house was a window cleaner, his wife, 17-year-old adopted daughter and foster son, eight.
After ornaments and furniture began moving of their own accord, police were called in – only to witness a kitchen cabinet falling to the ground.
They advised that a priest be sent for, but when he sprinkled holy water in the house, it was thrown back in his face.
Eventually, the family was forced to move house.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/features/4744647.Eerie_howling____and_a_train_ride_to_terror/

At the time I think the belief was that something was going on with the foster son, who would talk to his invisible friend before the manifestations kicked off. I think my aunt left much earlier than her parents and possibly lived with a friend during the whole case.

The unusual twisting of curtains would be evidence of a Vortex, which in turn would suggest the presence of a 'dimensional portal.'(D.P) This is not the same as a 'dimensional bubble,'(D.B). These D.B's tend to sit over a particular area for a period of time. Those that experience Ghostly apparitions normally wander (unknowingly) into these D.B's, though it could be that the D.B formed over those beneath and thereby 'Enchanted' them. This happens when a period of Re-Enchantment is taking place. Re-Enchantment is a process of repair to our own dimension, which has become damaged. If it were not for this repair, then our dimension would descend into Chaos.
The issue of D.P's is different in that they are linked by two locations. Some of the evidence you give would suggest this was the cause of your own experience. Maybe, you just didn't notice the curtains? That would hardly be surprising as the twisting movement is usually quite a gentle process and would suggest the strength of the Vortex. These Vortex's can, I believe, vary in strength. I have no knowledge of how far these D.P's can stretch, but the process is as follows: At one end of the vortex, activity is taking place and that activity is carried along the 'plane' of the vortex and reproduces itself at the other end. This doesn't have to be enchanted activity. In fact, I would suggest that mostly, it is mundane in nature. That is because it could be a reflection of someone else's activity at the other end of the vortex.
This can work both ways. You may drop a book on the floor and someone at the other end hears a sound as if it had happened right next to them, and Vice-versa. This process can be rather hit and miss as the activity between the two portals can react much like an out of tune radio. Briefly, that is the reason why I asked.

Thanks Stuart. That's a very comprehensive proposal. Can I ask - please don't take this the wrong way - is your view based on a philosophical position, or scientific one? Is there any data to suggest your hypothesis? In just curious.

I feel like one of us would probably have noticed twisty curtains but you never know. I'm a little bit wary of circular evidence though (i.e. Of saying 'you probably saw x, because x ought to have been there'). No offence meant, obviously!

Thanks Stuart. That's a very comprehensive proposal. Can I ask - please don't take this the wrong way - is your view based on a philosophical position, or scientific one? Is there any data to suggest your hypothesis? In just curious.

I feel like one of us would probably have noticed twisty curtains but you never know. I'm a little bit wary of circular evidence though (i.e. Of saying 'you probably saw x, because x ought to have been there'). No offence meant, obviously!

That's OK Its a fair question. I am not a scientist and have no scientific grounding. My thoughts are my own and I suppose you could say that they are philosophical. I also call on experience. Dr Leo Ruickbie is an expert on Re-Enchantment. You may be able converse with him on that matter. He is the current editor of the Psychic Review, a quarterly publication of the SPR.

That's OK Its a fair question. I am not a scientist and have no scientific grounding. My thoughts are my own and I suppose you could say that they are philosophical. I also call on experience. Dr Leo Ruickbie is an expert on Re-Enchantment. You may be able converse with him on that matter. He is the current editor of the Psychic Review, a quarterly publication of the SPR.

Isn't his theories on re-enchantment to do with sociology? Challenging Weber's disenchantment theory that in a modern society spiritual institutions get "disenchanted" or rationalized away? Ruickbie argues that groups such as the Wiccans unhappy with this spiritual gap in their lives attempt to "re-enchant" life.

I see he has done a book on ghost hunting perhaps he talks about poltergeists there? Stuart can you point me somewhere where I can read about the good doctors opinions about re-enchanting our dimension?

Thanks

Last edited:
Isn't his theories on re-enchantment to do with sociology? Challenging Weber's disenchantment theory that in a modern society spiritual institutions get "disenchanted" or rationalized away? Ruickbie argues that groups such as the Wiccans unhappy with this spiritual gap in their lives attempt to "re-enchant" life.

I see he has done a book on ghost hunting perhaps he talks about poltergeists there? Stuart can you point me somewhere where I can read about the good doctors opinions about re-enchanting our dimension?

Thanks
Naughty Felid, Yes, you are correct regarding Dr Ruickies theories. As he is a member of the SPR, then I am assuming that he is interested, if not specializing, in all aspects of Paranormal Activity. I haven't spoken to him on this matter, but assumed that the question of Disenchantment, if accepted, should be able to be expanded upon. Therefore, I admit that I have taken his basic theory and appropriated it to my own theory regarding shifting Dimensions. I do not claim that this is his own viewpoint, but as the general idea chimed with my own thoughts, I assumed that should be OK.
I am not attempting to mislead anyone over this. It is more my wish to point people in the right direction and to obtain a solid grounding, so to speak. I should have explained myself more clearly, that is obvious to me now. I shall be more careful with my comments in future.

Naughty Felid, Yes, you are correct regarding Dr Ruickies theories. As he is a member of the SPR, then I am assuming that he is interested, if not specializing, in all aspects of Paranormal Activity. I haven't spoken to him on this matter, but assumed that the question of Disenchantment, if accepted, should be able to be expanded upon. Therefore, I admit that I have taken his basic theory and appropriated it to my own theory regarding shifting Dimensions. I do not claim that this is his own viewpoint, but as the general idea chimed with my own thoughts, I assumed that should be OK.

Thanks

I'm going to stick my oar in here - apologies if it's not wanted. I have come across Weber's work on disenchantment in a totally different context and (I think via Freidrich Schiller - does that sound plausible?) have read a tiny bit about re-enchantment. I'm afraid I didn't immediately make the link to your vortex theory Stuart as they seem like quite different fields.

There is potentially something quite interesting here that I haven't come across before. It's leading my on a very speculative train of thought that runs something like this:

Might there be a link between poltergeist activity and a sense of frustrated or undirected meta- or para-physical 'yearning'? Could we hypothesise that, in cultures or subcultures that have experienced something akin to Schiller/Weber's 'disenchantment', there is a human longing for something beyond the physical that - given particular triggers or conditions - might manifest itself in what we call 'poltergeist' activity? For example, in a household with a teenager who is undergoing great personal stress, but who finds herself within a secular (demystified) society that cannot adequately provide an experiential or emotional vocabulary for that pressure. Poltergeists then become some kind of para-physical metaphor for a social condition.

Gah. Apologies. It's been a long day! I think my brain is festering.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to stick my oar in here - apologies if it's not wanted. I have come across Weber's work on disenchantment in a totally different context and (I think via Freidrich Schiller - does that sound plausible?) have read a tiny bit about re-enchantment. I'm afraid I didn't immediately make the link to your vortex theory Stuart as they seem like quite different fields.

There is potentially something quite interesting here that I haven't come across before. It's leading my on a very speculative train of thought that runs something like this:

Might there be a link between poltergeist activity and a sense of frustrated or undirected meta- or para-physical 'yearning'? Could we hypothesise that, in cultures or subcultures that have experienced something akin to Schiller/Weber's 'disenchantment', there is a human longing for something beyond the physical that - given particular triggers or conditions - might manifest itself in what we call 'poltergeist' activity? For example, in a household with a teenager who is undergoing great personal stress, but who finds herself within a secular (demystified) society that cannot adequately provide an experiential or emotional vocabulary for that pressure. Poltergeists then become some kind of para-physical metaphor for a social condition.

Gah. Apologies. It's been a long day! I think my brain is festering.
[/QUOTE]

No it's a good point and explains the success of Twilight, Potter, Star Trek, etc, people are speaking klingon and putting their religion as Jedi as established spiritual institutions are considered tarnished, unfashionable and out of touch. It's a post modernist world after all. Or have we moved on from that? :)

On a slight tangent I wonder if Poltergeist activity is linked in with Mass Hysteria?

There are many similarities, isolated often young, possibly powerless individuals experiencing things that could be considered supernatural but as you say the manifestation may be some sort of unconscious emotional release.

Gah. Apologies. It's been a long day! I think my brain is festering.
[/QUOTE]

UnknownUnknown, no need for apologies. I've taken the issue of disenchantment and appropriated it to my own theory. In doing so, I've expanded the original context and applied it with a 'broad brush.' Maybe I should use another metaphor to explain my thoughts? I'm quite loathe to do so, as the general idea fits my own theory quite well. I don't feel that I'm taking away or diminishing another's, (original) meaning. Its rather pointless quoting Schiller or Weber's works to me. I have no knowledge of either. I'm not that erudite I'm afraid. I don't read much and have no personal library. As I said, somewhere else; my thoughts are my own.
Sorry, getting back to the Poltergeist phenomena, yes I am convinced that you have something. I believe that the 'stress factor' is the primary cause in setting the scene for Poltergeist activity. This doe's not only apply to the female child. The stress within a male child could equally be effective at causing a Dimensional 'rent' to occur.
From then on, the Elemental Forces (E.F) of nature take over and rush to repair the damage. In doing so, these E.F take from the past, the present and indeed, the future, and will use anyone and everything in order to achieve healing. This can result in weird and wonderful scenarios, experienced by those effected.
This is a short, personal, explanation of my theory. I am wary of saying too much on this subject. My own experience of this phenomena concerns the Enfield case and I have to tread carefully regarding those involved.

I don't recall reading about this one before, looks interesting.

Possibly one of Northern Ireland’s most famous poltergeist accounts, The Cooneen Poltergeist continues to intrigue, drawing paranormal investigators into the rambling forestry and ramshackle cottage in which it is said to reside. JANET QUINLIVAN tells us why.

http://www.spookyisles.com/2016/01/the-cooneen-poltergeist/

"No it's a good point and explains the success of Twilight, Potter, Star Trek, etc, people are speaking klingon and putting their religion as Jedi as established spiritual institutions are considered tarnished, unfashionable and out of touch. It's a post modernist world after all. Or have we moved on from that? :)

On a slight tangent I wonder if Poltergeist activity is linked in with Mass Hysteria?

There are many similarities, isolated often young, possibly powerless individuals experiencing things that could be considered supernatural but as you say the manifestation may be some sort of unconscious emotional release." - Naughty Felid

The mass hysteria link is a good one! I wonder also about stigmata? Not sure if there are any 'spontaneous' cases (as opposed to self harm) as it's not something I know a lot about, but if it were to happen then I can imagine it being caused by a similar release of emotional pressure.

Although, of course, in that case the phenomena is explicitly given a form by established religious doctrine, which rather blows the disenchantment link out of the water! Unless it's all part of the same thing: limited recourse to other forms of release / articulation.

Maybe this is a bit off topic though.

(sorry - tried to edit to put Naughty Felid's contribution in quotes, but it doesn't seem to format for some reason. I've put it in italics instead to try and make it clear what's going on!)

Last edited:
"No it's a good point and explains the success of Twilight, Potter, Star Trek, etc, people are speaking klingon and putting their religion as Jedi as established spiritual institutions are considered tarnished, unfashionable and out of touch. It's a post modernist world after all. Or have we moved on from that? :)

There are many similarities, isolated often young, possibly powerless individuals experiencing things that could be considered supernatural but as you say the manifestation may be some sort of unconscious emotional release." - Naughty Felid

The mass hysteria link is a good one! I wonder also about stigmata? Not sure if there are any 'spontaneous' cases (as opposed to self harm) as it's not something I know a lot about, but if it were to happen then I can imagine it being caused by a similar release of emotional pressure.

Although, of course, in that case the phenomena is explicitly given a form by established religious doctrine, which rather blows the disenchantment link out of the water! Unless it's all part of the same thing: limited recourse to other forms of release / articulation.

Maybe this is a bit off topic though.

(sorry - tried to edit to put Naughty Felid's contribution in quotes, but it doesn't seem to format for some reason. I've put it in italics instead to try and make it clear what's going on!)

Personally, I do not see how stigmata, being recognized by the established religious doctrine, blows the disenchantment theory out of the water. An excess of enchantment, can cause problems too. And, of course, the established religious infrastructure is itself a vehicle for Enchantment. The thing to bear in mind is that the process of enchantment is an ongoing, continuous process and adjusts itself continually! We,for obvious reasons, only get to hear about the most extreme cases. Yet, I have little doubt that this process can be confined to the individual concerned. The medical profession will, no-doubt, label such incidents as psychosomatic in nature.
Of course, I am using the term Enchantment in my broader interpretation of the issue, and do not claim that anyone else supports my opinion.

And arguably this forum and the folk on it (including me).

They're he - yah .. come back into the light Stuart this house is clean :cool: (I've just done the hoovering)

Last edited:
They're he - yah .. come back into the light Stuart this house is clean :cool: (I've just done the hoovering)

You called?
I am here.
Yes, the juxtaposition of soft, sweet music with horror films, can work well I think. In a way, it can make the horror
seem more horrific. The same can also be said of comedy. Hammer films would often use this to good effect.
Peter Cushing was well known to add-lib to this end. In one film, (it may have been the Horror of Frankenstein, I'm not quite sure?) and after a particularly horrible brain-removing scene; the next scene has him looking forward to his breakfast of soft-boiled eggs! I believe that it was he that suggested that scenario. He definitely had a sense of the macabre!

Last edited:
You called?
I am here.
And now you're gone. (Sock puppet of a banned member - yes we did twig a little while back, but were frankly interested to see where you'd go with it. No such indulgence of any future attempt at rejoining.)

Goodbye, Carmilla K.

And now you're gone. (Sock puppet of a banned member - yes we did twig a little while back, but were frankly interested to see where you'd go with it. No such indulgence of any future attempt at rejoining.)

Goodbye, Carmilla K.

Can we get a gold fish now ? :)

Carol-Anne-poltergeist-21747601-200-200.jpg

Goodbye, Carmilla K.

Excellent work. Sock it to 'em!

Having a night in with Mr Nightmare. His channel is addictive. You've been warned.

This series of ten videos shows some obvious shams, but the kitchen scene in the penultimate video is quite trippy.

I have no explanation at all for some of those. Perhaps they could be genuine?
There is one that can be explained - one of the first shows a ghostly 'arm' waving in front of the camera. It's a spider.
The last one, in the office...to me, it looks fake. There's something about it, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Last edited:
The last one, in the office...to me, it looks fake. There's something about it, I can't quite put my finger on it.

The soundtrack has clearly been mixed for effect. Do security cameras even have sound? The dramatic reveal that what sounds like a machine is the agitation of a noisy door-handle . . . the heart-stopping thought of what might step into the frame . . .

I have seen most of those before. There is usually so little background information that we can only view them as entertainment.

The shop-based ones seem to come thick and fast. Am I right in thinking a lot come from earthquake zones? :confused:

I recently posted a link to a 1996 Ghost Hunters video on the subject of The Gorton Poltergeist.

It seems to have been forgotten apart from the links to that video.

Even more obscure - so far as the web is concerned - are
The Handsworth Poltergeist of 1976-77.
The Reading Poltergeist of 1979 - said to be particularly violent.
The Tydd St. Mary, Lincolnshire Poltergeist of 1957.

I can find only stray references to these, so far.

They feature in the Bords' Modern Mysteries of Britain, 1987 and it would be interesting to see if anything since has cast light on the cases. :confused:

Poltergeist and 'ghost' caught on camera at museum
By CGAlex | Posted: October 24, 2016
Video

CCTV footage of books and leaflets 'flying off the shelves' - and a photo of a ghostly apparition - are believed to show paranormal activity at this museum.

On Thursday, October 20, CCTV footage captured the moment a stack of leaflets flew off a shelf in Torquay Museum's shop, and on top of a member of staff.
The footage shows two members of staff in the shop at the time. On the other side of the shop, a number of leaflets are shown to fly off the bookshelves.
Museum researcher David Wills, heads over to investigate, but when he bends down to pick up the leaflets, another stack flies off, hitting him in the head.

The day after the incident a book also flew off the same bookcase, and there have been reports of similar occurrences in the past.

Carl Smith, the museum's visitor services manager, said: "When my colleague David told me about the incident, I have to say that I was sceptical.

"But when we watched the CCTV footage back there was something very unnatural about how the leaflets came off the shelf. They literally appear to have flown off on top of David in a concertina fashion, similar to when someone squeezes together a pack of playing cards and they shoot forward rapidly one-by-one.

More on page...

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/proof-o...tv-at-museum/story-29835604-detail/story.html

"When my colleague David told me about the incident, I have to say that I was sceptical.

It's the time of year for these sort of reports. Sure enough, I think I can see a pumpkin in the video, though the newspaper does not - as I half-expected - include any reference to seasonal events at the museum.

The physics of falling papers may be worth careful and rather dull study but I'm sure I have witnessed many a pile of papers I have been carrying spread itself across an implausible amount of floorspace without any need for me to shuffle and fan them first! :cry:

An odd thing happened with the video. It played OK, but when I returned to the page to post the story, I found the following message:

"The video is bad or in a format that cannot be played on your browser
Error Code: MEDIA_ERR_DECODE

Technical details :
The media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser did not support."

But I refreshed the page, and was able to replay the video, right to the end! Most odd!

It's a shame isn't it. Because that's what one really wants the Torquay Museum video to look like (in fairness, it's not soooo bad, whatever falls out does look like it's spraying like a pack of cards a bit. Though you can't tell if they were squashed onto the shelf and built up a bit of springiness).

But if the Torquay Museum video did look a bit more like an earthquake, then you'd think it was too extreme to be real and decry it.

What a position these poor poltergeists are put into.

Back