• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Poltergeists

That is fucking weird. Pardon my language but it really is. Certainly, looking at my own glasses, there's no way the right arm could fix on and act as a left, and it totally looks like you have two arms exactly the same.

It's a prime "trade-in" according to Mary Rose Barrington's 'Jott' theory (link below)! But bordering on the extreme end. I mean if this has genuinely happened (and you've been here a long time, I'm not thinking you would lie... promise you're not lying :) then it is mind boggling. You never had two pairs of those glasses did you? We have to ask you know.
https://www.spr.ac.uk/book-review/j...-relocate-and-why-it-really-happens-mary-rose

(Expect the glasses and the photo to disappear once the matrix-glitch fixers find out).

I assure you all is posted as my legit understanding of things.

I have only ever had one pair of these glasses. I mean, to apply rational logic, I have to assume at some point the right arm became detached and instead of just reattaching it they put a brand new arm on and thus I have been left with a stray right arm that I did not throw out. Meaning, there must be a broken left arm in one of the boxes from when we moved. I even looked at the broken right arm to figure out if somehow it could have been bent out of shape but, there is just no way it can be made in any way, shape or form to be a left arm. Until I find the actual left arm though I cannot confirm that theory.

Yet, the other possibility is just too utterly bizarre to contemplate. Whether it is some poltergeist jape or not, in the three months we have been living here more bizarre, weird and random things have occurred that I can recall in nine years in our last place. I guess maybe because of this we are more heightened to look at every occurrence more closely, and thus self-perpetuating the idea that something is going on that is untoward and connected.

Have you thought about setting up a camera or two? .. one on the paintings once you've hung them with nails instead would be a good start ..

We discussed this after the coke can incident, with my thought that it might show a mouse running about at night. I've a GoPro, a tripod and a couple of old but fairly decent camera phones around the apartment, but after discussion with my wife - who is usually the super sceptical one – she suggested it wasn't wise as we would only scare ourselves further watching it back...

We discussed this after the coke can incident, with my thought that it might show a mouse running about at night. I've a GoPro, a tripod and a couple of old but fairly decent camera phones around the apartment, but after discussion with my wife - who is usually the super sceptical one – she suggested it wasn't wise as we would only scare ourselves further watching it back...
Fair enough. It's a beautiful looking building btw.

An update on my 'hauntings', while the above was solved as I alluded to there have been numerous things that are just a little bit odd in my new place.

We put a picture up on the wall when we moved in using double-sided fixing tape. We used the same process on this picture in our old apartment and it held up for six years. Here, it fell off the wall within two days. I've only just got around to looking into reinstalling the picture today, with this on my mind while I was in the bathroom I looked at a metal sign we have on the door which I had put up using the same tape. It has been up since we came in and is firmly fixed. I absentmindedly though to myself "Strange how this one has remained secure but the other didn't".

An hour or so ago I heard a crashing noise, not unusual, I'm kind of used now to hearing noises from the kitchen and then investigating to find no sign of anything having moved. Just now I went back to the bathroom and there on the floor, the metal sign that had been so firmly stuck for the past two months.

Of course, coincidence, just happened that the tape on the metal sign gave out the exact afternoon I thought how firmly it was holding...

:oops:
I'm almost kinda envious of where you live!!

My husband seems to cause paranormal events wherever he lives. We suspect something follows him and then causes other things to happen. When we had our first flat together we used to get loud banging on the windows. My husband told me it was birds flying into the window, but these were internal windows, in an enclosed balcony! Definitely wasn't the windows on the external wall. He hadn't told me anything about the stuff which happens around him and it wasn't until I saw (glimpsed) a woman standing in the doorway of the flat that he told me about it. His brother, father and friends have independently corroborated the strange events which have always happened around him.

In fact, that's why I joined here, to see if other people had experienced similar and , guess what, they have!

In our old house, when my oldest son was a teenager, things used to happen all the time and it was quite scary, particularly for the boys, they would not go into our room because they said they could see things flying about in there. Over several nights I just kept saying to whatever it was to go away as it was scaring us. Anyway, just before our neighbours moved, we asked them, tentatively, if they had experienced anything strange in their house. They said that they were moving because they were no longer happy in the house as it had felt like something dark and oppressive had come over them and despite havng the house blessed, they felt unable to live there any longer. The feeling of oppression started in the April of the year before, coinciding with when I had been trying to mentally banish what ever it was that was causing the weird things to happen.

We have often had things happen in our current house; things disappearing and found in unusual places, or where you have already looked. We experience noises, strange draughts, the smell of a roast lamb dinner cooking and the odd glimpses of shadows, sounds of people moving about when no-one is there etc.

When we first moved here, I saw an an ill looking man standing at the window (old, very thin,tall, balding man,with a large nose, wearing beige chinos with a maroon coloured baggy cardigan) and he 'said' (gave me the impression?) that he was waiting for his wife to come home and what were we doing in his house? These events become more frequent when we have disruption happening in the house, such as decorating or when my oldest son came back to live with us. It was worse when each of the boys got into their teens for a time. I often say when I think the red cardigan man is about that 'we live here now. When you lived here, you tried to make this a comfortable home and we are doing the same'. It makes me feel better anyway.

One of the weirdest events was hearing what sounded like a small herd of dogs coming up the stairs when I was with my youngest son in his room reading a bed time story. We checked the stairs and nothing was there. My eldest was downstairs and couldn't have got down and back on his PC in so quick a time, so wasn't a practical joke. Later on we found a framed photo in the loft of 3 Cavalier Spaniels - I wonder if we heard an echo of them? We have heard this a couple of times since, but it is faded compared to the first time.

Another thing we have heard is the noise of the gate in our previous house opening and closing with a bang - the noise came from where in our old house the gate would be, to the right of the front window, but no gate exists in the current house.

We've been doing some work on the house in the last few weeks and some odd things have happened. Husband was working on the walls above the kitchen cupboards when he felt something invisible kind of 'wrap' round him and he couldn't actually move without a lot of effort. He carried on trying to sand down the wall but kept almost dropping the sander. He also felt strange and when he tried to explain to me what happened, he couldn't really describe it, or remember it, just the wrapping round part. He was scared, but because he has had so many weird things happen to him all his life he just carried on trying to do what he was doing. My husband remembered what I used to say and repeated this about us living here now and trying to make a nice home and he was 'let go' and able to carry on. The bangs on the windows has also started up again. I will keep you posted if anything else happens.
That's awesome!!

Morning eponastill just read your thread on jotts very interesting.
Do you think that’s where the Fortean times mug I ordered is. Haven’t had a trade in for it yet.
It seems to be a more common occurrence than I thought. I thought it happened with a (haunting) and not as wildly as obviously occurs.Might treat my self to the book :bthumbup:

Morning eponastill just read your thread on jotts very interesting.
Morning! You might be right about the mug. Perhaps if you're lucky two will turn up in the end.

Yes I quite like the book (ironically I can't find it right now... but I do have a lot of books and quite untidy :) The first part is basically like 'It happened to me' and a long sequence of reported experiences. Some of them you think 'ooh' but some of them you do think 'yeah well that's just looking for meaning in a coincidence'. A mixed bag.

The final bit of the book is a bit harder going. She sort of drags a lot of things in to discuss it, as I recall. Difficult things about consciousness and so on. That's why I should search for the book, to have another go at the end. But it's not like one would expect a definitive simple answer is it. And you'd not want one from such an eminent researcher.
So I would recommend, and it's not too expensive.

I spotted this podcast as a result of seeing your post. The cheesy introduction doesn't bode well :) but she is being interviewed in person so I have hope it might be interesting
https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/shattered-reality-podcast/e/66271662?autoplay=true

Cheers mate I will have a listen tonight when the missus is out so I don’t get interrupted.
Listened to first six minutes or so! Now having to go on a bloody bike ride :dunno:

Cheers mate I will have a listen tonight when the missus is out so I don’t get interrupted.
Listened to first six minutes or so! Now having to go on a bloody bike ride :dunno:
The joys of being in a relationship, huh?

Morning all ohh man you never never go in the cellar alone that’s when the nastys get you

Ps i never got to listen to it last night because I got dragged to the pub kicking and screaming of course.
And when I got back I couldn’t focus properly AND then started watching the old grey whistle test programme.
Then remembered I had left the pint of milk in the pub which is all I went out for in the first place.

Ps i never got to listen to it last night because I got dragged to the pub kicking and screaming of course.
And when I got back I couldn’t focus properly AND then started watching the old grey whistle test programme.
Then remembered I had left the pint of milk in the pub which is all I went out for in the first place.

Did you pop back to grab the pint, and then stay for 6 more..?

Hi DT went round this morning and picked it up wouldn’t let me have a pint though.
After all the money he takes of me

I don't have a basement. And my attic is a big, open friendly space.

My only conclusion is that the nasty things must live under my bed.
I don't have either a cellar/basement or attic so I'm envious of those of you who have them!

I did grow up in a huge victorian house in Edinburgh and we had 2 cellars and an attic and a maids room up a very creepy staircase.

All 4 used to scare the hell out of me but I was very wee.

The only monsters I have now exist in my head and to be honest I think it's the living who scare me more! :cool:

Hi WSL I’m envious of you living in the big house in Edinburgh.Been a couple of times to that great city loved everything about it.And did Mary king’s close etc when we were there.:hapdan:

Hi WSL I’m envious of you living in the big house in Edinburgh.Been a couple of times to that great city loved everything about it.And did Mary king’s close etc when we were there.:hapdan:
It was a long time ago now!

I just remember being shit scared of all the wee nooks and crannies but nowadays would totally have done some proper ghost hunting!!

I actually never did Mary Kings close despite living there for 20 or so years but I wish I had.

I did do a ghost hunting tour a few years ago as my dad carried on living there til a few years ago (passed in December) and one of the guys on the tour fainted in one of the torture rooms :omg:

It was hilarious!! He was huge and just came crashing down with such a thud and shook the whole place!

He was so embarrassed poor guy.

Blimey! Poor guy never felt saw heard anything when we did it.Very atmospheric though but it can’t be that bad cos we saw some of the the people who worked there wandering about by themselves.
I don’t think I would personally though. OR DID THEY WORK THERE:cskull:

Blimey! Poor guy never felt saw heard anything when we did it.Very atmospheric though but it can’t be that bad cos we saw some of the the people who worked there wandering about by themselves.
I don’t think I would personally though. OR DID THEY WORK THERE:cskull:
He was mortified but it was so funny that I couldn't stop laughing for ages afterwards!! Lol!!

A friend of mine worked at Mary's close and said that they would throw pebbles where people were to deliberately scare them on purpose!

I thought it was a bit mean and unfair but she said it added to their experience and also additionally found it hilarious to see their reactions of them screaming :dunno:

I actually never did Mary Kings close despite living there for 20 or so years but I wish I had.

A little off-topic, but this reminds me of a radio programme I heard recently about a seaside town in Cornwall where the locals don't use the beach. They think it's for the tourists and not them.

I did do a ghost hunting tour a few years ago as my dad carried on living there til a few years ago (passed in December) and one of the guys on the tour fainted in one of the torture rooms :omg: It was hilarious!! He was huge and just came crashing down with such a thud and shook the whole place! He was so embarrassed poor guy.
So, either a ghost kicked him in the ectoplasmic bollocks, or it was a press gang from the ghost navy. These are my guesses.

On the matter of poltergeist activity, I found this account fascinating (starts at 16:59):

(Bedtime Stories is a great channel if you like accounts of historic supernatural events, weird occurrences, etc, there's also some very nice artwork with each story). The guy recounting his personal story in the above video also narrates the other stories on the channel).

Last edited:
Back