• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Poltergeists

painy2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Posted by Brendan Kilmartin

Poltergeist activity is a mischievous spirit or form which shows itself in a number of unusual ways. These can range from strange noises, objects moving or even disappearing or even the presence of a strange odour. The word Poltergeist literally means, "Noisy Spirit". Reports of Poltergeist activity date back hundreds of years. there are even reports of poltergeist activity in medieval China. The reports describe similar activities as those of today, with reports of strange apparitions, objects being thrown around, and the peculiar odours associated with this kind of phenomenon.

Why this occurs has been debated for years, with several explanations put forward. Of all the explanations put forward, the one most widely accepted is that the Poltergeist activity is directed at a particular source. That is to say that the activity is normally directed at a particular person, and that the usual occurrences are with younger adults or children, with the most reported cases being directed at women.

Why it is that a poltergeist should single out a particular person for its attentions is not clear. The theory is that the Poltergeist draws on the emotions of the person. Studies have shown that in a vast majority of reported cases, the subjects are usually suffering from some physical or mental problem. That's not to say they are mentally or physically disabled, merely that they may be suffering from a stress related illness, feeling angry or they may have a phobia which draws on there anxiety levels. This, in a word, means that they are almost responsible for the phenomenon. That in some way they are creating or attracting the activity with there subconscious minds - more commonly known as Psycho kinesis. However, not all reports involve a single subject. There a lot of reports which center round a whole family, with no member suffering from any possible cause for the activity.

The phenomenon occurs with no warning, and can last for several hours, never to return, or it can last for several years. In these cases the disturbances are of a more severe nature. Whether the activity is down to paranormal forces, or is an energy generated by a human is not known. Some researchers even blame demonic forces for the phenomenon.

THE ENFIELD POLTERGEIST

This case became known as a perfect example of a poltergeist haunting which began as genuine... and devolved into trickery, thanks to media attention and the imagination of two little girls.

The case began in Enfield, in North London, in a perfectly ordinary suburban townhouse. It was occupied by a woman named Peggy Harper and her four children; Rose, age 13; Janet, age 11; Pete, age 10; and Jimmy, age 7. The disturbances which would make this house famous began on the night of August 30, 1977, shortly after Janet and Pete retired to the bedroom they shared. The other children slept with their mother in another room of the small home.

The activity was first reported by Janet to her mother. She stated that their beds began bouncing up and down and "going all funny". By the time that Peggy got to the room, the movements had stopped, leading her to believe that perhaps the children were making it all up. All remained quiet for the rest of the night, but the following evening, the events began in earnest. Around 9:30 the following night, Peggy was called to Janet and Pete’s room by their excited laughter. This time, they claimed to hear noises coming from the floor. Janet said that it sounded like a chair moving, so Peggy took the only chair with her out of the room and downstairs. She believed this would calm the children down and get them settled for the night. Then, from downstairs, she too heard something odd. It was the same shuffling sound that Janet had mentioned. She hurried up to their room but found both children lying in their beds asleep. Then, four distinct knocks were heard from the wall which adjoined the neighboring house.

This prompted Peggy to turn the lights on once more, but she saw nothing out of the ordinary. Then, a heavy chest of drawers moved out away from the wall about a foot and a half. Peggy shoved it back again, but the chest moved back to its former position. The next time she tried to shove it into place, the chest refused to budge! Shaking with fear, the family left the house and went next door to the neighbor’s house.

The neighbors investigated, as did the police. The officers also reported hearing the knocking sounds, now coming from all different walls. One of the officers was in the living room when a chair suddenly slid several feet across the floor. He examined it closely, but could find no explanation as to how it had moved. The next day brought more phenomena, like flying toys. The police were unable to help, so the Harpers and their neighbors turned to the press. The Daily Mirror sent out a photographer and a reporter, who stayed in the house for several hours. Nothing happened during their stay, until just as they got ready to leave. Suddenly, both men were assaulted with flying marbles and Lego bricks. A piece of a Lego flew across the room and hit the photographer so hard that it left a bruise which lasted over a week. The newspaper contacted the Society for Psychical Research about the case and they in turn, contacted Maurice Grosse, a resident of North London and an investigator.

Grosse arrived at the Harper house on September 5, exactly one week after the disturbances began. His presence seemed to have a calming effect on the family and for a few days, nothing out of the ordinary occurred. Then, on the night of September 8, Grosse and three reporters were keeping watch when they heard a crash in Janet’s bedroom. Investigation showed that her bedside chair had been thrown about four feet across the room. Janet was asleep at the time and no one had seen the chair move. However, it did happen again an hour later... and this time one of the photographers captured the event on film! Shortly after this, Grosse was joined in the investigation by author Guy Lyon Playfair and the two men spent the next two years studying the case.

The case had a couple of aspects in common with standard poltergeist cases, including the involvement of two adolescent girls. In this case, one had already gone through puberty and another was about to. The case also had another feature typical of such cases, personal tension. Peggy had never altogether resolved her feelings surrounding her divorce from the children’s father. After she realized this might have something to do with the phenomena, she came to term with her volatile emotions and the disturbances ceased.

Or rather, they took a short break. When they started up again, they had a somewhat different character. Now, more than ever, they seemed to focus on the two girls, Janet and Rose, and on Janet’s bedroom. Investigators quickly came to the opinion that this new phenomena was more the work of human trickery than the work of a human agent. Two SPR investigators later revealed that reports from the two girls, usually unsubstantiated, seemed very contrived.

In addition, a video camera secretly set up in the bedroom caught Janet bending spoons and attempting to bend an iron bar in an entirely normal manner. She was also seen bouncing up and down on the bed, from where she would later claim she was thrown. Despite how this case concluded, there seems to be some strong evidence to say that the initial disturbances in the house were genuinely paranormal.

Interesting story painy.
There was a documentry about this case made by the BBC if im not mistaken, wich went into great detail about the happenings in that house.

I think it's generally theorised as a sort of uncontrolled telekenetic power actually enitted/used unconsciously by children going through the process of puberty, hence why it normally happens around them.

On the other hand, some appear to be actual spirts with the power to move objects and having destinctive personailities and habits.

So its either psychic powers, ghosts of the dead or some other entity that feeds off human emotion, particularly on children going through puberty.
Of course they may have the same name but each "haunting" could be a differnt cause, who knows.

This seems to be classic polt behaviour:

Terrorized by invisible forces

By: Wilson Dzebu

Invisible forces have been terrorizing a granny and her granddaughter since December last year. Their food vanishes immediately after cooking and they only find empty plates. They later find the food, no longer on the plates, hidden either under the bed or in the corners of their small room.

If the food is not disappearing, they find it sprayed with muti. It all started when a mysterious mopani worm dropped down from nowhere, into the lap of the old lady when she was sitting at her fireplace one night!

Matodzi Nethonzhe (76) and her granddaughter, Tsumbedzo (10), say they are now tired of their torture and have decided to seek public assistance. They say they can no longer remember how many times their food has disappeared, as it has happened on several occasions. Matodzi, who has not eaten for some days because of the problem, explained how the horrible experience started:

“We had just finished cooking the food one evening without suspecting anything. The food included some porridge and chicken that I had bought at the pension pay point that afternoon. I took the food into my one-roomed house and relaxed on my stoep. Nobody went into my house and it does not even have a window. When I felt hungry, I went into my house to collect the food, but to my surprise, I only found the empty plates on my small table. I looked around my small room, but the food was not there. We went to bed without eating anything, but we found the food on the floor, under the bed, the next morning.”

Matodzi says they have also found muti sprayed on their food a number of times. “Sometimes happens while we are inside the house and we will never see who sprays the muti.

I think these are evil forces that want to destroy me and my granddaughter. We have suffered in silence for a long time and we would like the public to assist us…”

She says she would accept any assistance, either spiritual, religious or from traditional healers. Her latest torture was on Monday when she found muti sprayed in the form of a cross on the floor of her little room.

Tsumbedzo, a Grade 5 learner at Makhuvha Primary School, also explains her agony:

“When I prepare my food for school, I find my containers empty in the next morning. After a long time, I later find the food on the floor around the house or under the bed. I am now afraid to eat because I don’t know what will happen thereafter. This thing has affected my studies because I cannot concentrate when I think about it…”

The family says they did not report the matter to the police because they believe the problem will only be solved by either men of the cloth or by traditional healers.

Community members who would like to assist the family in breaking these incredible shackles can call 082 829 7456 or visit them at Makhuvha village, near Donald Fraser Hospital, on the eastern side of Makhuvha Graveyard.

www.zoutnet.co.za/news/details.asp?StoNum=3962

Interesting story emps, myabe they should assign Degsy to the case.

Taming the Poltergeist: "Things that go Bump in the Night" in 19th Century Science.

So tonight I cooked the Duchess a pheasant dish. To make the sauce you use a sprig of rosemary. Got one out of the fridge but when I wanted to use it I couldn’t find it. Searched high and low with no luck. Got the cooked pheasant off the cooker and placed it on some kitchen towel and put it in the oven , when I took the plate out of the oven the Rosemary sprig was on top of the meat. Spooky!

So tonight I cooked the Duchess a pheasant dish. To make the sauce you use a sprig of rosemary. Got one out of the fridge but when I wanted to use it I couldn’t find it. Searched high and low with no luck. Got the cooked pheasant off the cooker and placed it on some kitchen towel and put it in the oven , when I took the plate out of the oven the Rosemary sprig was on top of the meat. Spooky!
Caught on your sleeve, perhaps?
You inadvertently transferred it... maybe.

Back