• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This UK man suffered from PKD, which causes fluid-filled cysts to grow in and around the kidneys. He had to have both kidneys removed, and he's set the record for the largest kidney(s) removed from a human.
Man from Windsor has 'record-breaking' kidneys removed

A man has had both his kidneys removed after they enlarged to what surgeons said was "record-breaking" size.

The organs removed from Warren Higgs weighed 35kg (77lb) in total.

The father-of-one, who has polycystic kidney disease (PKD), said his surgeons told him that "in every single way you measure it" he had set a new record with the size of his heaviest kidney.

Oxford University Hospitals said it was the largest and heaviest based on reported weights.

Mr Higgs, from Windsor, said his larger right kidney weighed around 15kg (33lb) with an additional 5kg (11b) of fluid on top.

The previous heaviest kidney in the world was believed to be a 7.4kg (16.3lb) kidney removed in India. ...

PKD causes small fluid-filled sacs called cysts to develop in the kidneys.

Five years ago, the inherited condition led to his kidneys growing five times larger than they should be, according to his doctors.

Mr Higgs said he was told a "life-saving" two hour operation at Churchill Hospital in Oxford was needed as the kidneys had started to crush his lungs, stomach, and heart.

The condition also caused him to have a large swollen stomach, which has had a "remarkable" change since the surgery in July, he said. ...
FULL STORY (With Photos): https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-berkshire-58820618

I have seen photos of this ailment before and will not be clicking that link.

Back