• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Polygamist' Uses The Power Of The Mind (Hypnosis)

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Man says 'spell' won him harem of 10 wives

Wed Jan 25, 9:45 AM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - A middle-aged Tokyo man found to be living with 10 younger women said he attracted them by reciting an incantation that came to him in a dream.

The 57-year-old man's unusual living arrangements came to light when another woman complained to police that he had threatened her after she refused to join his harem, Kyodo news agency said Wednesday.

"I had a dream that told me I would become attractive to women if I recited a particular incantation," it quoted the man as saying.

A rapid series of weddings and divorces left the man with a large group of ex-wives, mostly in their 20s and 30s, who shared his surname and continued to live with him.

Source

'Polygamist' used psychological tricks / Books on hypnosis found at home of Tokyo man who lived with 11 women

The Yomiuri Shimbun

Books on hypnosis were found Thursday at the home of Hirohito Shibuya, who was arrested Thursday on suspicion of threatening a 20-year-old woman in an attempt to get her to live with him, the police said.

Following his arrest, Shibuya, 57, a self-professed fortune-teller, was found to be living with 11 women in Higashi-Yamato, Tokyo. Psychologists said the women in the house may have been subjected to mind-control techniques.

The police also suspect Shibuya of threatening other women in an attempt to make them join his commune.

Though Shibuya said he lived with 10 women and a baby girl, police now say he lived with 11 women and a baby girl.

After Shibuya's arrest was reported, several women who claimed to have been threatened by him contacted the Metropolitan Police Department.

Of the 11 women who lived with Shibuya, eight met with the police Thursday to provide further information. They were believed to have been questioned about their motives for moving in with the fortune-teller.

Shibuya would conduct his fortune-telling in a darkened room and hold a lamp close to his clients' faces as he told stories, a practice that made some of them feel nervous, sources said Friday.

Police suspect the women were driven by fear into living with Shibuya.

Shibuya began his fortune-telling business in April 2000. He reportedly told his female clients they were haunted by evil spirits that would bring them bad luck.

After the sessions, some women allegedly ran to a neighboring house in tears to seek help.

According to psychologists knowledgeable about mind-control techniques used by cult groups, people tend to become dependent on a speaker who frightens them in dark, mysterious situations.

The use of light in the dark is also a technique often used to lure people into buying goods they do not need.

One of the hypnosis books the MPD seized explained how to use a method identical to the technique Shibuya employed.

The book also says there are "fortune-tellers" who use hypnosis techniques and that "Group hypnosis is, to be honest, very easy."

"My daughter joined [Shibuya's] commune after she became psychologically unstable when a friend committed suicide and for other reasons," said the mother of one woman living with Shibuya.

Another woman's mother said, "She was asked to join the group at a time when she was job-hopping."

===

Shibuya was married 12 times

Shibuya has lived with many women since about 2000, and has married 10 women a total of 12 times.

He divorced one of his wives after just nine days of marriage. On eight occasions, Shibuya married a woman on the same day he divorced a previous wife.

Shibuya said he divorced his first wife in 1999, after about 25 years of marriage.

He began to live with several women after he went into the fortune-telling business in about April 2000.

Shibuya's unusual pattern of marriages and divorces began after he registered his marriage with a 52-year-old woman in December 2002. He divorced the woman one month later, in January 2003, and registered his marriage to his third wife a mere nine days later.

He was married only for nine days to his eighth wife, who was 25 and was only married for 10 days to his ninth wife, a 26-year-old.

Shibuya remarried then redivorced two of the women living with him.

He has not divorced anyone since August 2004, when he married another 25-year-old.

The baby girl found at the house was born to this wife.

"Although it's illegal in Japan, I'm virtually a polygamist," Shibuya said. "I contacted my ward office, and officials there said it was not illegal to repeatedly marry and divorce, although they did say it was unprecedented."

The ward office at which Shibuya reported his marriages refused to comment on the case, saying it would violate his privacy.

---------
(Jan. 29, 2006)

www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/20060129TDY02008.htm

Potential arguments over who's in charge of the TV remote aside -

you'd have thought they could have included the incantation.

Purely from a research point of view. Of course. ;)

Potential arguments over who's in charge of the TV remote aside - you'd have thought they could have included the incantation. ...

He had an excuse for that ...

Shibuya, a bald, rotund man with bags under his eyes, had married and divorced several of the women, who continued to live with him, asked what the incantation was, he told a newspaper: "When you say it, even unattractive men become attractive. But I won't say it because if I do, I'll die."

RETRIEVED FROM: https://www.1casa.com/volume-50.html

This May 2006 news item is the only follow-up I've been able to find on Shibuya.

Polygamist gives up his harem
A Japanese hypnotist who lived openly with 11 wives in a nondescript suburban house on Friday renounced his polygamous ways as a court spared him prison.

Hirohito Shibuya, whose sensational case had created a stir in Japan, was sentenced to one year and six months in prison suspended for four years for threatening to "mince" a woman who refused to join the harem.

"I will stop living with those women," the 58-year-old said before the Tokyo District Court.

Most of the women, however, remain at the house in suburban Tokyo.

"Every time they have visited me since my arrest, I've been recommending to them that they go home. But they seem to believe that my words don't reflect my real will," Shibuya said, as quoted by Jiji Press.

Shibuya, a former fortune teller, had quietly kept his harem for five years, marrying and divorcing younger women and living off their incomes as he stayed at home.

'I will shear your flesh off and mince it up'

He was arrested in January after he allegedly confined a 21-year-old woman for about two hours demanding that she join the harem.

"If you run away from here, I will shear your flesh off and mince it up," Shibuya had told her, according to prosecutors.

Handing down the suspended sentence, Judge Haruo Kabara said: "It is a selfish crime but he regrets it and is providing compensation money to victims." ...

SOURCE: https://www.news24.com/World/News/Polygamist-gives-up-his-harem-20060519

Back