Popular Songs That They Couldn't Write Now

Some of his songs sailed a bit close to the wind on that front, notably 'i wanna be black'.
It's satire/irony, riffing on the sort of white middle class men who would now describe themselves as being woke, using their support of one oppressed minority to get away with abusing another. They've always been around.

In Rock and Roll Heart he sends up the sort of middle class rock fans who pretend to eschew classical culture in favour of rock n roll.

I don't like Opera and I don't like Ballet
New Wave French Movies just blow me away

Lou Reed actually enjoyed all three of the above.

The lyrics in a song do not necessarily represent the beliefs of the writer. Satire/irony isn't always appreciated.

Edit to clarify first sentence

Last edited:
I don't know which song you're referring to, but I'd imagine it's acceptable to post a link here.
It has the N word but it wasn't regarded as unacceptable when it was recorded as it was clearly anti-racist. But now it would give the woke/intersectionals a fit. They see no context. But time does move on.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
OK....

...plus this, which used the same word.

Not a huge fan of the Dead Kennedys but I love his appearance on the Oprah Winfrey show where he out-thought and outperformed Tipper Gore, especially when he pulls newspapers with her quotes on from his jacket pocket.

Worth watching if you've never seen this.

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Not popular with anyone but me...

And there’s also this..

Punilux loved to turn things around in a beat.

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
This feels like a song they couldn't write now. North Norfolk radio play it all the time

INT21

Antediluvian
Could they make 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers ?

After all, it was about abduction.

And taking women forcibly for use as sex slaves is something frowned upon in western society.

Has this already been mentioned?

Blue Mink's 1960s anthem to racial harmony "Melting Pot" has been banned by Gold Radio, following one (yes one!) complaint.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2019/08/gold-removes-blue-mink-song-after-complaint/
I can understand why they decided to drop it though.

Global said the lyrics – which include references to yellow Chinkies”, “Red Indian boy”, “curly Latin kinkies” and “coffee-coloured people” – would not be acceptable on a mainstream radio station.

In these days of political correctness, could/would 'Lola' by The Kinks be written? Great song either way.
Good call for the original version of the song (I have the much cherished vinyl album).
Before releasing Lola as a single, The Kinks were forced to change Coca Cola to Cherry Cola.

I can understand why they decided to drop it though.

Global said the lyrics – which include references to yellow Chinkies”, “Red Indian boy”, “curly Latin kinkies” and “coffee-coloured people” – would not be acceptable on a mainstream radio station.
Madeleine Bell, who still performs the song regularly, was on BBC Radio 5 last night to defend Melting Pot.
The lyrics obviously use slang terms, but the message is unambiguously and very strongly anti-racist (or apartheid, as it was at the time).
We're all humans, no matter what silly labels are given to us because of skin colour, so lets get together and have children together.

Maddy_bell.jpg

Madeleine Bell, who still performs the song regularly, was on BBC Radio 5 last night to defend Melting Pot.
The lyrics obviously use slang terms, but the message is unambiguously and very strongly anti-racist (or apartheid, as it was at the time).
We're all humans, no matter what silly labels are given to us because of skin colour, so lets get together and have children together.

View attachment 20061
I guess it's just that time has moved on.

I would defend a lot of songs against the PC mob but I suppose I just don't think that Melting Pot is a classic or that it has aged well.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Don't know if 'Chuck E's in love' has already been posted.
I can't see anything remotely objectionable/dodgy in the lyric or subject. Mind you, I don't know what p.l.p. means - is that it? Seems to be about a guy who's stopped hanging out at old haunts because he's fallen in love. What are you talking about?