Popular Songs That They Couldn't Write Now

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I can't see anything remotely objectionable/dodgy in the lyric or subject. Mind you, I don't know what p.l.p. means - is that it? Seems to be about a guy who's stopped hanging out at old haunts because he's fallen in love. What are you talking about?
If you listen to the song, Rickie's lazy-cute pronunciation has an unfortunate effect on one line.

INT21

Antediluvian
Hunk,

It seems it's a bit like King Crimson's song 'Easy Money'.

I do remember chuck E quite well, and after I posted my comment I looked up the lyrics.

They are not quite the same as I remember them to be from listening to the song when it came out.

I can't go into detail, but there was use of a racially derogatory word in the original that is not in the printed lyrics.

I mention 'Easy Money' as the lyrics used on the King Crimson USA LP are definitely not the same as the printed ones.

Or is it a mondegreen moment ?

INT21.

INT21

Antediluvian
GNC,

So you noticed it too.
Is it pronunciation, or does she actually say 'that' word ?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
No, all in the pronunciation. Rickie's not a racist. But, for example, every so often a band will have to send a press release to radio stations saying their latest single doesn't use the F word, it just sounds like it, the human ear (and indeed voice) is not infallible.

INT21

Antediluvian
I'll have to listen to it again (the original) and see if I can agree with you.

Or, is it that, like Irish Jokes, they are not racist if the Irish are telling them ? And they are aimed at an Irish audience ?

We all know of plenty of street talking individuals who get away with using 'questionable' descriptives because they are from the same group

INT21..

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Er, Rickie Lee Jones isn't black, she's a pale blonde lady.

INT21

Antediluvian
Mea culpa.

Disregard 427 above.

Makes one wonder how mispronunciation could be the reason then.

Thinking back, I was pondering on 'Melting pot' by Blue Mink when I wrote that. My mind must have mixed them up.
No point in me changing the post, it's already out there.
Apologies to the lady concerned.

INT21.

Cochise

Antediluvian
Hunk,

It seems it's a bit like King Crimson's song 'Easy Money'.

I do remember chuck E quite well, and after I posted my comment I looked up the lyrics.

They are not quite the same as I remember them to be from listening to the song when it came out.

I can't go into detail, but there was use of a racially derogatory word in the original that is not in the printed lyrics.

I mention 'Easy Money' as the lyrics used on the King Crimson USA LP are definitely not the same as the printed ones.

Or is it a mondegreen moment ?

INT21.
Easy Money on USA :salute: . Red and Lizard are my favourite albums of theirs.

Wake your reasons' hollow vote
Wear your blizzard season coat
Burn a bridge and burn a boat
Stake a lizard by the throat

GNC

King-Sized Canary
So it's a mondegreen then. Can you spell it out for me? I don't know what you're talking about.
She sounds like she's saying "Hey little racial slur boy" at the end of the first verse.

Cochise

Antediluvian

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Hey, I didn't bring it up! But it is a well-known mondegreen.