• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Possible EVP theory involving Non Lucid (or Lucid Dream) Characters & Telepathy...

djshadow

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Apologies in advance if anybody here, or elsewhere on the internet has come up with this theory. I'll claim it as my own until somebody points out otherwise :)

This came to me the other day as I was musing over what EVPs could actually be if they are not a form of Pareidolia.

I wont say 'dont fight the hypothetical' but just hang in there and consider my thoughts if you will please.

Ok, so I love the topic of lucid dreaming. It is both a fascinating scientific & psychological area of study.

I'll try & keep it as brief as I can.

Whether you are lucid in a dream or non-lucid, all of us from time to time meet these dream-characters. Now assuming they are not visitors into your dream from someplace else they are (one hopes!) part(s) of your own subconscious mind. Be they young, old, man, woman, child etc.

Now anecdotal reports state that some of these dream-characters appear to be more sentient than others. Some act Zombie-like, some disagree that you are in a dream, some agree that you are. Various funny & sometimes scary responses come from these dream-characters.

Disclaimer - I do not have an academic background in Psychology, so I am not sure if the next bit of my theory holds water. If this is the case, then I am sure somebody will point this out to me.

Ok, so do these dream-characters still exist when a person is awake? I am not sure even the boffins know this answer fully, or maybe its more of a philosophical discussion?

But, assuming that these dream-characters are still roaming about in your subconscious, even when you are awake. Could (and here is the leap of faith/reasoning) these dream-characters be using a latent form of telepathy & somehow be imprinting their voices onto the recording equipment?

Furthermore, if you are priming yourself when entering a supposedly haunted location that bad/spooky stuff is going to happen on a ghost watch, could a person be unwittingly triggering these facets of their own mind into saying bad things?

I mean lets face it, most (although not all) EVPs are of the more creepy instead of nice factor. A little bit like somebody watches a horror film then has a bad dream, but this is more a manifestation of your subconscious when you are awake.

Thanks for reading folks.

I'm very surprised that no poster on here has had a crack at this hypothesis of mine yet?

It is somewhat far out there in its breadth of topics. Even I thought at the time of writing - This is pretty far out. But is it?

Is it anymore far out than claims that EVPs are voices of dead people?

Why is the Parapsychology section on here, which has (arguably) the most potential for scientific research one of the least posted on?

I find that strange.

You need to think about how this idea could be scientifically tested. It's not enough to ask 'What if..?' You need practical methods to distinguish between one theory and another.

You need to think about how this idea could be scientifically tested. It's not enough to ask 'What if..?' You need practical methods to distinguish between one theory and another.

I agree Rynner. It is a hotchpotch of theories.

From what I understand - Under laboratory conditions lucid-dreamers can, in some instances at least, make basic communications with the outside world whilst sleeping. Eye movements are one, and I believe they have also had people performing basic arithmetic - using blinking and again eye movements to answer the sums.

The short answer to this - Put a lucid dreamer in a Faraday cage situated in Laboratory. Invite EVP hunters to witness & test with their recording equipment.

Get the Boffins to do their stuff with the sleeping test subject then set equipment to scan the airwaves for EVPs.

Only the sleeper and recording equipment in the cage though at the first round of trials :)

There is more mileage to this experiment but I am tired myself right now.

Any EVP is pretty much a matter of opinion. What sounds like relevant speech to someone could be a car going by in the distance to others. Their usefulness as a communication tool is dubious, so any dream entity dialogue would be better off in the land of nod, and I've never heard of anyone convincingly projecting their dreams into the ether to be picked up by others, though a brain scan could see the patterns in a dream state and try to match them to speech I suppose. It would be easier to listen to someone who talks in their sleep!

Whether you are lucid in a dream or non-lucid, all of us from time to time meet these dream-characters. Now assuming they are not visitors into your dream from someplace else they are (one hopes!) part(s) of your own subconscious mind.
There's the rub, though. You might equally argue that external entities are capable of both inserting themselves in our dreams and of causing EVP phenomena. Can you think of any way of falsifying this hypothesis?

Hello All,
(at risk of stating the obvious,) I guess that's the problem with EVP; it's so incredibly subjective. It's hard to get a consensus on what's being said or even if anything's being said/heard. A bit (very?) off topic, but I always thought the polt/ channelled entity/ psychic (etc.) trope of coming out with info logically unavailable, but verifiably true, might (presuming it legitimately happens, which I suspect it does sometimes- love them polts) be structured into a solid experiment. Any thoughts?

Why, thank y'. Good question. I'd have said cynophala, 'coz cynophalus sounds, well, y'know, but I just looked it up- and cynophalus it is. FT forums have such a nice vibe compared to others on similar subjects. It's a shame the rest of the site's been rolled back so much.

Thanks to everbody who has replied to this. I will formulate a reply in the next day or so. Need to have a ponder about all of your replies & my theory itself.

Its got me thinking about EVPs & all kinds of stuff. :)

While not exactly the same thing, I had a very similar theory regarding high-strangeness and dreams.

What if, when one encounters Bigfoot, mad-gassers, Springheel Jack, UFO's, etc., we're actually seeing the extension of someone else's dream?

It would be a small stretch to apply that to EVP's....What if they're recordings of other people's thoughts/conversations as they're dreaming?

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, just wanted to expand on it is all.

Back