Post-Apocalypse Movies

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
Bird Box: A different sort of Apocalypse, mass suicides are taking place, it gradually emerges that this is due to some entities which cause people to envision their worst fears. Some are just driven crazy and attack others at random but others embrace the change and see it as the new reality, forcing others to take off blindfolds.

In the early stages, survivors including Sandra Bullock and John Malkovich take shelter in a house, only venturing out when supplies run short. They discover that viewing the entities even through CCTV footage results in suicide. The survivors are divided about admitting newcomers as they suspect that the change has resulted in new normative behaviours in humans who survived exposure to the entities. Birds give an early warning of the entities approach.Later Bullock s shown travelling down a river with two children as she seeks a supposed sanctuary.

A pretty savage aftermath to the fall of civilisation is portrayed in Bird Box, the suicides begin in Europe before they spread to America and presumably the rest of the world. There are three fears, seeing the entities and being changed, being attacked by the psychotic changees, being forced to change by those who now worship the entities.

Susanne Bier has turned Eric Heisserer’s script into an intriguing new addition to the Post-Apocalypse genre. 8/10. On Netflix.
I felt it was too long and lost its way in the middle. The disease or creatures are never really explored. Also hokey ending. 6 out of 10.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
It seems that Bird Box is a bit of a Marmite film: Some enjoy it; others, not so much.

I concur fairly closely with Ramon’s 8/10, though I’d probably drop it to a 7 because of the lack of exposure to the entities. It’s one of the few scary films l’ve seen where l would have liked to have seen a bit more of the “man in the rubber suit” (as my mum described the Alien in the eponymous flick).

What l thought were nice imaginative touches:

The use of birds as early warning systems, the exploitation of the car’s proximity sensors and the strange antigravity leaf behaviour when the entities approached.

maximus otter

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Apparently the aliens were edited out of Bird Box because they looked too ridiculous. Seeing as how the whole thing was bloody ridiculous, leave 'em in, I'd have said. I dunno, Cell got slammed a couple of years ago and it does everything this does without being tedious. No justice, I tell you.

And now: the Bird Box challenge.

Last week Netflix claimed that 45 million of its subscribers had streamed the Sandra Bullock thriller Bird Box in its first week of release: a record for original movie content on the platform.

Five days later, on 2 January, they issued a public health warning in the interests of keeping as many of those subscribers alive as possible. The service was responding to a growing social media fad for the Bird Box challenge, in which people emulate characters in the film who must perform every task blindfolded, lest lurking monsters drive them to suicide.

“Can’t believe I have to say this, but: PLEASE DO NOT HURT YOURSELVES WITH THIS BIRD BOX CHALLENGE,” Netflix tweeted from its primary account. “We don’t know how this started, and we appreciate the love, but Boy and Girl” – a reference to the two unnamed children of Bullock’s character – “have just one wish for 2019 and it is that you not end up in the hospital due to memes.”

Netflix’s call for moderation (but not abstention) from the craze comes after thousands of videos posted online show people stumbling around houses, stairs and woods with scarves wrapped round their eyes.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...d-box-challenge-meme-sandra-bullock-blindfold

GNC

King-Sized Canary
If Sandra Bullock jumped off a cliff would they do that too?!

Ringo

Sanitised for your protection
We watched Bird Box tonight. There were so many gaping plots holes and annoying actions/situations that I gave up being exasperated and just watched the movie. I quite enjoyed it after that.

Last edited: