• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Post-Apocalyptic Mocumentary?

Ogdred Weary

ᛟᛒᛊᛏᛁᚾᚨᛏᛖ ᚲᛁᛗᚱᛁᚲ
Some posted this on another forum I use. I'm intrigued as to what it is as well:

I was trying to find a movie that someone had posted about seeing. But, I absolutely can't find it. (Great search function!)

I remember seeing the trailer on youtube after reading their post, and was interested in it.
From what I remember: The movie is a British fake documentary with interviews of people who've survived an apocalyptic event telling their stories about the event/their lives, or something along those lines. It was 1960s/70s, and I'm pretty sure it was comedic.

Does anyone have any clue what movie this is? Help me out, please!

Anyone got any idea what this might be? There was that TV film or series covered in FT a few years ago that was not shown, or not repeated due to being so depressing or shocking, so it's unlikely to be that.

Any ideas?

Some posted this on another forum I use. I'm intrigued as to what it is as well:

Anyone got any idea what this might be? There was that TV film or series covered in FT a few years ago that was not shown, or not repeated due to being so depressing or shocking, so it's unlikely to be that.

Any ideas?

The Bed Sitting Room?

maximus otter

Props to Otter.

That was good.

And it looks well worth a watch!

There was that TV film or series covered in FT a few years ago that was not shown, or not repeated due to being so depressing or shocking, so it's unlikely to be that.

Would that be Threads?

As opposed to Whoops Apocalypse...

It's a while since I watched it (I find a little goes a long way) but could this TV film be The War Game (1966)? I think this wasn't shown at the time of its production, because it made an absolute mockery of the government's pretence about a survivable nuclear war: there are scenes, for example, of starvation post-bomb, while the narrator solemnly intones the menus for the three-course-meals which planners promised would be provided by field kitchens. This is indeed darkly comic, but be assured that the film as a whole is not.

For instance, I vaguely recall to-camera interviews with certain protagonists, including a particularly upsetting exchange with a Bobby who has just been conducting initial triage of the casualties. With a revolver.

It is a gruelling watch, but a worthy production. Threads (1984) is notoriously grim, but it did not emerge from nowhere, it is the clear spiritual successor to The War Game.

Edit: correcting the date for The War Game.

Last edited:

Any ideas?
Sounds like 'Threads' but that was in 1984

Threads is a deeply disturbing movie, certainly not a comedy.

When the wind blows is worth a watch though, a Raymond Briggs animation featuring Peter Sallis and music by Roger Waters. That one is funny in places ... but not at the end!

Back