• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Post Your Puzzling Dreams Here

No stupider than 99% of the world. Lots of people interpret dreams of dead loved ones as real communication from them; and for all we know it is easier for them to reach us when the internal censors are relaxed and the brain is detached from input from the external sensors.

Last night in my dreams I had a costume party to go to and people kept interfering with my ability to get ready for it, so finally, out of time, I threw on a bright tiered Mexican dress, covered a hat with fruit from the refrigerator, and went as Carmen Miranda.

Anyone had the opposite of a nightmare? I call it a "nicemare" and I had one last night. Halfway through my dream a young lady walked up to me and told me that four women I knew (in the dream, not in real life) were in love with me.

Well, I was pleased at that as you can imagine, and enjoyed the rest of the dream until I woke up at five o'clock in the morning and realised none of it was true. I'd woken up as if I'd had a nightmare, except with the opposite reason. Bah. Stupid dreams. Dunno what I'd do with four women anyway.

gncxx said:
Anyone had the opposite of a nightmare?

Yes! I've had a few in my life; not nearly enough!
The best one was me and Chris Cornell (my crush at the time :oops:) galloping through some bluebell woods two's up on a white horse...*sighs*

The other weekend i awoke early and realised it was saturday - yippee!

So i drifted back into sleep thinking about the world cup final. I found myself on the pitch defending the goal from Japan!?! One of the opposition took a shot and i tried to kick the ball back by jumping into the air...

...needless to say i woke up again realising i had just kicked fresh air (plus most of the duvet) and nearly fallen out of my bed LOL

Bring out the old threads.

Last night I had a dream that involved someone requesting to see the body of someone they knew who had recently passed away.

I suggested that it wasn't advisable as he had been stomped on by a dinosaur!

In real life I do know someone who died in an unpleasant manner very recently. This may play into it but I worry about what my subconscious is doing sometimes.

Last night I had a dream that involved someone requesting to see the body of someone they knew who had recently passed away.

In real life I do know someone who died in an unpleasant manner very recently. This may play into it but I worry about what my subconscious is doing sometimes.

Quite scary...but why a dinosaur...weird

Could the dinosaur represent a large noisy piece of machinery/vehicle perhaps?

Realised that essentially everything in my dreams can be attributed to something which I had experience of recently and an eclectic mixture of same.

Except for the other things which are truly bizarre.

Last night, had a dream where I was in an Enid Blyton landscape, 'Five Go Adventuring' and my bicycle could fly like ET's...

Could happily have stayed there a good while longer...

Last night I had two separate (woke up inbetween) vivid dreams. The first, that I was involved in a Beltane ritual that turned sinister and I felt really scared. The second, that I was happily married to Peter Andre and we had a kid, but we were living in this really grim flat that was actually one of my student flats in the 1980s. I was Katie Price yet at the same time, I wasn't the Pricey. I didn;t care we didn't have any money and lived in this shithole, me and Pete, because we were so happy.

WTF.

Last night I had two separate (woke up inbetween) vivid dreams. The first, that I was involved in a Beltane ritual that turned sinister and I felt really scared. The second, that I was happily married to Peter Andre and we had a kid, but we were living in this really grim flat that was actually one of my student flats in the 1980s. I was Katie Price yet at the same time, I wasn't the Pricey. I didn;t care we didn't have any money and lived in this shithole, me and Pete, because we were so happy.

WTF.
Rumbled! You're her aren't you?

For no apparent reason I had two very distinct and separate 'Star Trek TNG' dreams last night.
For each I was aware that I was 'watching' episodes that were in the category of 'episodes that never made it to air'.
The first was an episode which was one of those 'comedic' type of stories that sometimes occur in Star Trek.
2 visiting members of an alien humanoid species were disdainful of humans, but were desperate to be on the Enterprise (for the purposes of the plot) and the entire crew spent the whole episode just taking the piss basically. Initially the Captain and other main crew members welcomed them, explaining that they could stay onboard if they followed the 'rules' that visitors could stay as long as they stripped butt naked all the time (but no such rule existed and this was a big joke in the show).
The second episode was less detailed, and shorter, and showed what it would have been like if all the cast were acting in different roles that we were accustomed to. As I recall Jonathan Frakes was a Klingon, and Gates McFadden was the Captain.

For no apparent reason I had two very distinct and separate 'Star Trek TNG' dreams last night.
For each I was aware that I was 'watching' episodes that were in the category of 'episodes that never made it to air'.
The first was an episode which was one of those 'comedic' type of stories that sometimes occur in Star Trek.
2 visiting members of an alien humanoid species were disdainful of humans, but were desperate to be on the Enterprise (for the purposes of the plot) and the entire crew spent the whole episode just taking the piss basically. Initially the Captain and other main crew members welcomed them, explaining that they could stay onboard if they followed the 'rules' that visitors could stay as long as they stripped butt naked all the time (but no such rule existed and this was a big joke in the show).
The second episode was less detailed, and shorter, and showed what it would have been like if all the cast were acting in different roles that we were accustomed to. As I recall Jonathan Frakes was a Klingon, and Gates McFadden was the Captain.
Jonathan Frakes' finest hour was, of course, 'Beyond Belief'. Still watch it with the kids - they loved it then (well when they first saw it which may have been years after it was made) - and they love it now. Very Fortean, too.

Besides the usual scary dreams or erotic dreams , I occasionally remember a silly dream,

I wonder how my brain can come up with ideas that I would never have the ability to do so.

The last silly dream was that I used a small car to drive around in my house to get around.

Where in the world would my brain even come up with this ?

I've read or heard that driving in your dreams means you feel in charge. Maybe dreaming of driving in your house means you feel in charge despite being stuck at home during covid.

I remembered writing about the following a long time back, and having looked for it again since, had thought it had been lost in a clean up. I've just found out that this is not so (propers to the improved search facility), and the story is on the Can You Remember Your Earliest Dreams? thread.

Since posting the original I’ve spoken to my mum about this in order to see if I could work out an exact time – she keeps all her diaries and, as I could pin the time down to a holiday the family took on or around the South Downs, we had a dig through the 1970’s.

Again, since posting the original - and @AnonyJoolz has my eternal gratitude for clearing up a personal mystery by starting the IDing An Obscure, Vaguely Remembered TV Drama From 1970s) - I have another datum, which is the year the series rediscovered in that thread was first shown.

I was a couple of years out, being actually eight years old at the time the dream occurred - although I suspect the age related observations are still applicable. Although I would have a job recalling the details of anything I dreamed last night, the details of this have been fixed in my mind for almost five decades.

I had this dream when I was six years old and it’s stuck with me ever since at least partly because it really doesn’t feel like it belongs to a six year old boy - even at the time it felt like someone else’s dream had found its way into my head. Looking back on it now it has a kind of Angela Carter nightmare/fairytale feel to it or maybe it could have been a piece of feminist agit-prop theatre but, as I’m sure you can appreciate, at six years old I wasn’t particularly familiar with modern fiction or feminist theory.

The dream starts with me looking down on a large square room - a pristine kitchen with pale tiles and white walls. There is a window in the centre of each wall but the room doesn’t have a doorway and I am looking down from above the height of where the ceiling should logically be - as if the room is open topped. Along one wall is a worktop with a sink placed centrally in front of the window. There is a woman washing pots in the sink and placing them on the draining board. She is attractive and blonde and is wearing jeans and a white jumper.

At some point I stop being the detached observer and become the woman washing pots. I can now see the view from the window which consists of beautiful, rolling, downland scenery with the odd clump of trees, sunshine and a blue sky. Although I don’t look out of the other windows I know the view is exactly the same from each one.

For what seems a long time nothing happens - I just wash pots. However, very gradually, I become aware of the sound of breathing, quiet to start with but getting louder and more laboured, coming from outside the room. The sound follows a regular pattern - heavy breathing for a few seconds and then a pause and a scrabbling noise then more heavy breathing then more scrabbling and so on. At some point I realise that the noise I’m hearing is the sound made by someone running continuously around the outside of the room and stopping only in order to crawl under each window so that they cannot be seen.

And that’s it. Boring really I know and although there was a very definite growing sense of threat it never turned into a nightmare because I’ve always had the ability to force my way out of a dream if I don’t think I’m going to like what happens next. However for some reason it has stuck in my head without fading for well over three decades. As I said originally it just seems bizarre that I had this dream at all.

Another strange thing about the dream is that it was and still is so vivid that I can work backwards and forwards from the actual dream and remember in frighteningly clear, almost photographic, detail the day or so immediately before the dream and the same period afterwards. It’s as if the dream acts as a mnemonic anchor for a forty-eight hour period of my childhood.

I’ve had more surreal and bizarre dreams, but it’s the incongruity of context and the indelibility of the subsequent memory that makes this a strange, unique and still somewhat spooky experience for me. It still kind of bothers me that I might have had someone else’s dream by mistake that night.

I remembered writing about the following a long time back, and having looked for it again since, had thought it had been lost in a clean up. I've just found out that this is not so (propers to the improved search facility), and the story is on the Can You Remember Your Earliest Dreams? thread.

Since posting the original I’ve spoken to my mum about this in order to see if I could work out an exact time – she keeps all her diaries and, as I could pin the time down to a holiday the family took on or around the South Downs, we had a dig through the 1970’s.

Again, since posting the original - and @AnonyJoolz has my eternal gratitude for clearing up a personal mystery by starting the IDing An Obscure, Vaguely Remembered TV Drama From 1970s) - I have another datum, which is the year the series rediscovered in that thread was first shown.

I was a couple of years out, being actually eight years old at the time the dream occurred - although I suspect the age related observations are still applicable. Although I would have a job recalling the details of anything I dreamed last night, the details of this have been fixed in my mind for almost five decades.

I’ve had more surreal and bizarre dreams, but it’s the incongruity of context and the indelibility of the subsequent memory that makes this a strange, unique and still somewhat spooky experience for me. It still kind of bothers me that I might have had someone else’s dream by mistake that night.

The observer becoming the observed, the room, the heavy breathing. Sounds like that sequence towards the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The observer becoming the observed, the room, the heavy breathing. Sounds like that sequence towards the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

You're right - and I'd never thought of that resonance.

That said, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have seen the movie at that point in my childhood. We didn't have a TV of our own until around 1974, and my parents were pretty strict with it: I wouldn't have been allowed to watch anything any later than 19.00, and we weren't allowed to sit in front of it for hours during the day.

After all this time I can't say with absolute certainty that I hadn't seen it - but I also really cannot envisage the circumstances in which I might have.

Edit: A quick google, and The BBC Genome project, suggest 1982 for the first showing of the movie on British television. And I definitely would not have seen it in a cinema prior to my dream.

Last edited:
Spookdaddy:

I suppose there are innumerable ways to deconstruct and / or interpret the dream, but one theme immediately strikes me as fitting the elements pretty well. It seems to me you were attempting to orient yourself to the anomalously anonymous scene and even place yourself within the action (such as it was). Transitioning from an overhead detached observer to the first-person dishwashing woman was a way to both engage in the sole action underway and to place yourself at a window to see where you were.

Once you accomplished this you still didn't recognize the location and you were in an incongruous role (as a woman; as a dishwasher). Under this interpretation the increasingly heavy breathing by the nearby but evasive 'other' represented your own rising stress at being stuck in a strange role with no prospect of change. The running 'other' was, in effect, you as you tried to establish yourself in a consistent persona / role within the scene. The cyclical passage of the 'other' was you running in a circle trying to define and inhabit your place in the dream scenario.

This would be consistent with your age - a period during which personal ego integrity and social role self-definition were both still developing. The criticality of those things to your childhood self explains why the dream was engraved in memory, and their eventual non-criticality to your adult self explains why you are confused about this particular dream's persistence and implied significance.

Recently I woke up from a dream where I spilled Joe Biden's soup on Joe Biden's jacket while he left his dinner table for a moment and left the jacket hanging over the chair. Then I awaited his return in anticipatory horror ...

Such a mini nightmare is my brain's way of saying "wake up, time to pee". Isn't the unconscious a wonderful thing
1f600.png

Well, that was a first for me. I was dreaming in a dream. :chuckle:
Part of my dream that I was an experienced sport fencer. I was dreaming that I'd become a fully-qualified fencing instructor being frustrated with the 'quality' of my pupils and I woke up and told my fellow enthusiasts of my dream. They laughed it off, saying I hadn't the patience to be an instructor and that I should just enjoy the sport ... then I woke up the second time for real.
Odd.
Not only have I no experience in the sport (more dark age re-enactment weaponry) but no real interest in competitive sports.
But the doozy is it's my first experience of dreaming in a dream. Kind of meta, really.

Dream I remember to this day vividly : I am about 6 years old and lying in bed when suddenly I know there is a man standing outside my window that is so tall all I can see is his chest. he's wearing a black suit. I call to my mother and she says "It's just the preacher."

I have remembered THAT weird dream for at least 44 years now.

Dream I remember to this day vividly : I am about 6 years old and lying in bed when suddenly I know there is a man standing outside my window that is so tall all I can see is his chest. he's wearing a black suit. I call to my mother and she says "It's just the preacher."

I have remembered THAT weird dream for at least 44 years now.
1621026981895.png

In the past I never would dream about family member until now.

My puzzle is now everyone in my dreams are very young.

Everyone seems to be in there teen years, and I am telling myself this must be a dream because everyone being young.

And my near 50 year old daughters are now toddlers in my dream.

How does one interpret all this craziness. ?

I think the shift toward dreaming more about real people (albeit sometimes in unreal ages or forms) has something to do with aging.

From my youth up through my 50s it was very rare for an actual family member, friend or acquaintance to appear (as such; as themselves) in my dreams. I essentially "synthesized" all my dream characters, and there were no recognizable connections between them and anyone I knew or had known.

Once I got into my 60s I noticed that the characters in my dreams were increasingly figures from my "real life", although in some cases they were camouflaged with different ages or appearances.

Back