• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Postbox Cosies

Silly old biddies should do something constructive instead.
Well, you're right of course, but I didn't want to say it for fear of being shot down.
The old biddies should definitely be out digging trenches or something.

When they start doing cosies for the local Wicker Man, then worry.
I live in a place where there’s still a local stocks just up the road. Further up the hill, they crocheted around all the trees and benches. A little bit further up and they’ve dressed a statue as Rudolf.

1639872029015.jpeg

I came across several in Herne Bay, Kent, on 21 Dec (after a solstice outing to the Medway megaliths) and apparently they have been appearing there since 2015. Obviously inspired by the hideous US yarn bombing thing, but with an english accent. There are 39 in Herne Bay this year. Does anyone know of any pre-2015 examples?

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/herne-bay/news/knitters-deliver-festive-cheer-218223/

VUHKQTSI0051ZWS5G4J8.jpg

I am not sure that tis is an American import, I first came across this in a knitting/crochet book translated from a scandanavian source ( Swedish? ) about 8-maybe 10 years ago. The aim was to enliven or beautify neglected urban spaces and to add interest to walks. It caught on in parts of the USA more quickly than it did here.

Its harmless and brings pleasure to those who do it and possibly makes drab places more interesting, cannot see any harm in, not sure why it makes some of you grumpy.

A local village hall was embellished overnight a few years ago- quite a feat as the artwork was bout 10 ft off the ground.

I came across several in Herne Bay, Kent, on 21 Dec (after a solstice outing to the Medway megaliths) and apparently they have been appearing there since 2015. Obviously inspired by the hideous US yarn bombing thing, but with an english accent. There are 39 in Herne Bay this year. Does anyone know of any pre-2015 examples?

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/herne-bay/news/knitters-deliver-festive-cheer-218223/

VUHKQTSI0051ZWS5G4J8.jpg
The report from Herne Bay included "It was not originally our idea, but we saw a group in Essex do it..."
Which probably refers to this group from the previous year
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-30327928

who had already produced this example in August 2014 for the Southend Festival.
https://makezine.com/2014/06/24/seaside-postbox-yarn-bomb/

oxo

Yes, yarnbombing. I've seen it in several places and it does put a smile on my face. Just don' stand still anywhere for too long, or you might find yourself wearing an extra sweater.

I ordered this book from Great Britain the other day, it's on Etsy, by your fabulous designer, Jane Crowfoot.
She is absolutely the most stunning crochet designer I have ever seen!!
I don't know how long it's going to take to crochet this blanket, but I'm determined!

1653147326091.png

1653148292661.png

Last edited:
Yes, yarnbombing. I've seen it in several places and it does put a smile on my face. Just don' stand still anywhere for too long, or you might find yourself wearing an extra sweater.
I drove past an example just a few weeks back, but I can't remember where it was.
It did briefly make me smile.

Those 3D flowers look like fun to crochet. I've not made anything large like those but I have made some very fiddly ones for Irish lace crochet.
I've crocheted a lot of them, they are beautiful. This particular pattern looks like quite a bit of work, but I've done the Irish crochet and though it's lovely, I prefer to work with yarn.

Earlier this year, I worked with a lady, who outed herself as a knitter of these cosies.

She was very community-minded and did a lot of constructive, caring stuff as well. She saw the cosies as just another form of random kindness and a way to keep her knitting-skills sharp!* :)

*I also witnessed her basket-ball skills, so the batty little, old-lady stereotype is misapplied, in her case!

One in our village was taken, 4 pm sunny afternoon and Mercedes pulls up they remove the topper and bugger off police get several phone calls giving car and reg number, police have traced the car a visitor and they are going to be spoken to don’t suppose they can do much but with half the villagers up in arms it will be good pr to at least take a interest.

The whole thing started in Ruislip where I live so there's a lot of them round here.
Apparently they produced the first four for Valentines day, so this picture I took on 26 February must have been one of that earliest batch:

View attachment 48883

Then they produced some dozens of spring and Easter-themed toppers during March and April, and the whole thing took off on social media, then old-school media and the craze spread across the nation. So I'm told.

By June there was a book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lockdown-Letterboxes-British-graffiti-knitters/dp/B095N4WY71

And now there's a 2022 calendar.

Oxo
Loads of these round my way for the Jubilee. So I came to this thread to see if anyone had posted pictures of ours, and I looked at this one above and thought 'why would anyone knit a load of bums and put them on a postbox?'

I may be losing my romantic streak.

Loads of these round my way for the Jubilee. So I came to this thread to see if anyone had posted pictures of ours, and I looked at this one above and thought 'why would anyone knit a load of bums and put them on a postbox?'

There's been very few in Ruislip this year. A couple of blue and yellow Ukrainian things and a crown or two for the jubilee, but nothing like we got last year.

I think the word you're looking for is whimsy. Lol

Variation on a theme:

Knitted speed camera in Trewoon, Cornwall.

Prior to the appearance of the homemade device, hundreds of locals had signed a petition calling for average speed cameras in Trewoon.

The petition read: ‘Residents have previously raised concerns about the motorist’s speed through Trewoon, to have little change introduced as a result.
1666551789196.png

I think people, and probably more than one person, have to be killed or seriously injured before a speed/average speed camera might get installed.

Back