• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Postbox Cosies

Here's one I came across in the cloisters of Gloucester Cathedral:
20221204_115541e.jpg
20221204_115549e.jpg

I agree with Herr Cloaca. It's a waste of good yarn, and must soon get wet and dirty.
I belong to a knitting /crochet group, and we're given yarn for free. Go into a wool shop and see how expensive it is to buy new!
We make hats, scarves and blankets for various charities (old people, the homeless, boxes to go to children abroad, charity shops etc)
Time and resources put to good use.

kylie on top.

Kylie Minogue has been recreated out of wool ahead of her headline performance at Radio 2 in the Park.

The Australian popstar - with hits like I Should Be So Lucky - is among the acts due to perform at a music festival in Leicester next weekend.

The figure features on a postbox topper in Syston, Leicestershire

. It was made by the mystery craftsperson known only as Syston Knitting Banxy (SBK) as a welcome to Minogue and the other acts. Previously, SKB has made toppers for events like the Queen's Jubilee and Remembrance Day. She has also created the cast of the BBC show Ghost and a tribute to the actor Stephen Graham.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leicestershire-66755043

I have a friend who, living near a cycle- and footpath that has a goodly number of bollards, every year decks them out as a nativity scene. The BVM appears pregnant until Christmas Day, when she is proudly holding the baby Jesus :)

No photo description available.

Nairn goes Christmas cosy crazy

Yarnbombing knitters in Nairn in the Scottish Highlands have covered the town with their Christmas creations.

Crafters have joined forces to make a patchwork Christmas tree, 18 post box toppers and decorated the church with knitted angels.

Project co-ordinator Caroline Mackay said she first began making the toppers in lockdown after becoming "fed up of blankets".

Since then, she's set up Yarnbombers Nairn, a community of committed knitters and crocheters, who display their work publicly several times a year.

This year, they have helped the knitters of Nairn Old Parish Church decorate the building with hundreds of knitted angels.

After Christmas the church plans to give away angels as a goodwill gesture, to people who need a "blessing" in their lives.
1703249608533.png

Video at link.

For purpose of avoidance I was referring to one of the knitted items. However there is a young male who is a member of the group, he happens to own the only wool / knitting shop in Nairn...
Oh, right. I assumed you were talking about a knitter, not an item. His age wasn’t mentioned but as he said, he’s several decades younger than the women.

There’s some of these on postboxes around by me in the Midlands. I think it’s the WI flexing and flagrantly demonstrating their power across the UK.
Whilst many WI members are knitters and yarn Bombers, not all Yarn bombers are WI or even (identify as) female. Some of us can't even knit.

However they are a power to be reckoned with, representatives are everywhere not always in plain sight. Be careful what you say.........

It has happened 2 or 3 times round here, in one case a Mercedes pulled up
in broad daylight and took it, Police were given the number and it was
traced to somewhere in the midlands, but even with cctv it never came back.

Back