• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Potentially The First Crime In Space

Remember Lisa Nowak? The astronaut who drove cross-country in a diaper, to attack a love rival.
There's a new movie coming out called Lucy in the Sky. It sounds a bit similar.

Remember Lisa Nowak? The astronaut who drove cross-country in a diaper, to attack a love rival.
There's a new movie coming out called Lucy in the Sky. It sounds a bit similar.

They do say seeing the Earth from space gives you a whole new perspective on life. But what if that perspective has the potential to make you mentally disturbed?

Millions will attest that you don't need to leave the Earth to become mentally disturbed.

Send in this man...

OUTLAND-1981-Original-27x41-movie-poster.jpg

Send in this man...

OUTLAND-1981-Original-27x41-movie-poster.jpg

He's bound to sort them out. In all seriousness, as we once again look towards future space travels, crimes committed in space are something that would have to be looked at and the consequences of them. Is there law governing what happens in space now? What if two people on the ISS came to blows or one assaulted another? How would this be dealt with?

I believe space is under maritime law.

Interesting that this 'first' space crime was committed by the astronaut against her estranged wife. We really are living in the future.

He's bound to sort them out. In all seriousness, as we once again look towards future space travels, crimes committed in space are something that would have to be looked at and the consequences of them. Is there law governing what happens in space now? What if two people on the ISS came to blows or one assaulted another? How would this be dealt with?
Taser is probably best.
Most crews actually do take a small pistol into space for some reason. Bad idea.

Interesting that this 'first' space crime was committed by the astronaut against her estranged wife. We really are living in the future.
I'm going to probably piss some people off here but my conclusion so far is an angry lesbian has pissed off her girlfriend .. from space ..

The russians used to have a pistol with them, in case their landing capsule landed in hostile territory. Not a good idea to put bulletholes in the ISS though.

I'm going to probably piss some people off here but my conclusion so far is an angry lesbian has pissed off her girlfriend .. from space ..
It's a great way to do something like that and be totally out of reach of physical violence.

Some years back there was a scam e-mail claiming to be from a nigerian astronaut, stuck on a space station for two years. He just needed some money to get home.
I think that is what she should have gone with instead, she could have made it very believable.

Some years back there was a scam e-mail claiming to be from a nigerian astronaut, stuck on a space station for two years. He just needed some money to get home.
I think that is what she should have gone with instead, she could have made it very believable.
I forgot all about him. I wonder if he's still up there.

I forgot all about him. I wonder if he's still up there.

Abacha Tunde is the name of the fictitious Nigerian astronaut. His alleged story - as related in scam emails - goes like this:

He was the first African in space when he made a secret flight to the Salyut 6 space station in 1979. He was on a later Soviet spaceflight, Soyuz T-16Z to the secret Soviet military space station Salyut 8T in 1989. He was stranded there in 1990 when the Soviet Union was dissolved. His other Soviet crew members returned to earth on the Soyuz T-16Z, but his place was taken up by return cargo. There have been occasional Progrez supply flights to keep him going since that time. He is in good humor, but wants to come home.

The peak media exposure for this scam occurred circa February 2016, but the same email can be traced back at least as far as 2012.

Got to feel sorry for the fella - up there on his own for at least 27 years from 1989 to 2016.

Hell knows no fury greater than a woman scorned.

How Enterprising.

Astronaughty!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/23/poli...nt-first-criminal-allegation-space/index.html

"NASA is examining a claim that an astronaut improperly accessed the bank account of her estranged spouse from the International Space Station, The New York Times reported Friday -- potentially the first criminal allegation from space. "

And she's found not guilty!

An astronaut who was alleged by her estranged wife to have committed the first “space crime” has been cleared and her accuser charged with lying.

Summer Worden, 44, allegedly made false accusations against Lieutenant-Colonel Anne McClain, a US Army officer and Nasa astronaut, during a domestic dispute that played out last year while Ms McClain was aboard the International Space Station, 220 miles above Earth. Ms Worden is due to appear in court in Houston, Texas, this month. She faces up to ten years in prison and a maximum fine of $250,000 if convicted.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six...anne-mcclain-cleared-of-crimes-0mzg390lt?t=ie

In space no one can hear your crime

Hang on....McClain....wasnt that the name of Bruce Willis character in Die Hard?

Back