• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Practical Exercises For Mind Over Matter

A

Anonymous

Not sure if this has been covered anywhere here already (search function is currently down!)...

Does anybody know of any practical mind over matter exercises you can do? I was reading posts a while back about a few people lifting someone with one finger each and am quite fascinated in the whole thing.

i've been trying to do some of those jedi mind tricks, those bank cashiers just look at me strange rether than handing over their money :)

It depends on what you mean by mind-over-matter - I don't think most types energy control can be achieved simply or quickly. I would suggest Tai Chi as a really good starting point to explore your own physical capabilities - you will need a lot of persistence though, nothing happens overnight.

Toffeenose said:
i've been trying to do some of those jedi mind tricks, those bank cashiers just look at me strange rether than handing over their money :)

:rofl: must try that some time!

Breakfast said:
you will need a lot of persistence though, nothing happens overnight.

Is this from knowledge or practical experience? Or both? I'm interested in anything the human mind / body may be capable of without us being directly aware of it. Does anyone have any online sources with further information that may be of interest?

Practical experience largely, and seeing what people with years of experience can do. This is mostly in Ninjutsu, which is very similar to Tai Chi in some ways but more of a martial art rather than a meditational form.

I have to say that I have found very little written, either on or off the web, that compares with going out and doing.

You might also be interested in the work of that chap who begins with a G and has lots of letters in his name. Gurdjieff? Gurdgief?? I don't recall, but there are people here who do and will doubtless correct me. I'm not sure he was much of a writer though.

Gudgrief.

I believe he is referring to involuntary TK. You know... poltergeists, physical mediumship, telekinesis.

A popular toy used for practice is the 'psiwheel'. It's contructed of a light piece of paper or tin foil suspended on the head of a pin. The object is to move it using telekinesis.

And then there are the seance techniques like the likes of the 'Philip experiment' which produce traditional physical mediumship phenomena like table turning and levitation.

I once made a psi-wheel type thing - a sort of horizontal wind-mill
which sat on the top of a pin. I was chuffed to see it moving. And
every time I said "chuffed" it moved faster!

Holding my breath, I could propel it with my finger-tip an inch away.
This was probably static electricity.

Attempts to move it inside a plastic dome were altogether less
successful. :(

Back