• Server Outage Announcement

Hello, Everyone.
    We will be installing an update to XenForo (the forums software), and doing some server maintenance.
    Consequently, the forums will be unavailable from about 12 - 2 MDT / 2 - 4 EDT / 6 - 8 GMT on Sunday 9th May 2021.

Practical Use Of Jet Packs / Jet Suits

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Jet suit paramedic tested in the Lake District 'could save lives'

BBC Look North
29 September, 2020

A jet suit for paramedics which would see patients reached in minutes by a "flying" medic has been tested by the Great North Air Ambulance Service.

After a year of talks between GNAAS and Gravity Industries, a first test flight was carried out in the Lake District.

Andy Mawson, director of operations at GNAAS, came up with the idea and described seeing it as "awesome".

[...]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54331994

There is lengthier footage om YouTube:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Jet suit paramedic tested in the Lake District 'could save lives'

BBC Look North
29 September, 2020

A jet suit for paramedics which would see patients reached in minutes by a "flying" medic has been tested by the Great North Air Ambulance Service.

After a year of talks between GNAAS and Gravity Industries, a first test flight was carried out in the Lake District.

Andy Mawson, director of operations at GNAAS, came up with the idea and described seeing it as "awesome".

[...]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-54331994

There is lengthier footage om YouTube:

I'm surprised use of this technology hasn't been more widespread – I can clearly remember an earlier jetpack (or, more accurately, a Bell Rocket Belt) from the opening ceremony of the 1984 LA Olympics, which struck me as very science fiction. Apparently that technology dates back to the 1950s. It would be great if it's used for life-saving, though I'd love to see jet-pack racing!

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
I'm surprised use of this technology hasn't been more widespread – I can clearly remember an earlier jetpack (or, more accurately, a Bell Rocket Belt) from the opening ceremony of the 1984 LA Olympics, which struck me as very science fiction. Apparently that technology dates back to the 1950s. It would be great if it's used for life-saving, though I'd love to see jet-pack racing!

I think the problem with jet-packs is the duration of the flight, it's not very long.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I think the problem with jet-packs is the duration of the flight, it's not very long.
Even shorter in the case of the rocket-based alternatives.
This new jet-pack lasts about 10 minutes, whereas the Bell rocket belt lasted around 30 seconds.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
The Gravity Industries Jet Suit is rated for a total flight time of only 5 - 10 minutes. Recreational users typically fly at something like 32 mph (lateral speed). This would seem to limit the there-and-back range to something on the order of circa 3 miles, and one-way no-return range to something like 5 or maybe 6 miles.

The Jet Suit rig weighs 27 kg and surrounds the flyer with lots of bulky gear. How much additional medical gear could be reasonably carried in addition to all this?

I'm not seeing the Jet Suit as useful for much more than on-scene or near-scene quick delivery of a paramedic and / or medical gear - i.e., the sort of special gear one might carry when responding to a situation in a remote location that emergency vehicles cannot reach, but not the sort of thing that would be routinely used.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'm surprised use of this technology hasn't been more widespread – I can clearly remember an earlier jetpack (or, more accurately, a Bell Rocket Belt) from the opening ceremony of the 1984 LA Olympics, which struck me as very science fiction
Absolutely agree there, amazing that my first recollection of similar dates back to 1965 - over 50 years ago...!

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This new jet-pack lasts about 10 minutes, whereas the Bell rocket belt lasted around 30 seconds.
What they have done, is demonstrated its potential.

That has been unveiled to a staggering extent and surely the question now arises of investment

What do we all reckon here... it just seems inconceivable this will not be offered on a significant scale.

With serious financial backing, every chance that we would see each improved version eventually culminating in something which was viable in regards of flight time?

The Dragon's Den and Richard Browning has finished his pitch for capital investment....

Would there not be absolute carnage...! :evillaugh:

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Mountain Rescue teams are independent charities who make their money from donations and sales of merch. Cost of one suit, not including training, maintenance, spares etc.: £344,558

"The most common incidents tend to be from falls on mud or ice resulting in lower leg fractures, wrist fractures and back injuries." Against this, the risk of a volunteer jetsuiter turning himself into a lawn dart to rescue a daft old granny with a twisted ankle...

Cost of training and public liability insurance: massive.

It'll never happen.

maximus otter

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
... With serious financial backing, every chance that we would see each improved version eventually culminating in something which was viable in regards of flight time? ...
Viable for a short-flight recreational thrill ride - yes.
Viable for a longer-flight practical use (e.g. searching; transport of heavy loads; personal transport farther than a few miles) - I don't think so ...

The Jet Suit is old school tech, burning JP1 or diesel. The flyer has to carry the fuel in addition to the weight of the apparatus. I don't foresee improvements in fossil fuel burning jet efficiency radical enough to substantially extend the rig's range. All lift is provided by raw thrust, so it's essentially a hovering rocket that's steered to yield lateral movement - arguably the most inefficient use of thrust one could imagine for travel.

Furthermore ... If you've watched videos of the Jet Suit in use you'll see that it's somewhat tricky to use. The flyer has to carefully manage his / her body balancing and direct the flight using the handheld jet pods. In effect, the flyer is held up by the arms (akin to freezing a push-up in the elevated position). It appears to me a certain amount of arm strength is required to use the apparatus.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
... "The most common incidents tend to be from falls on mud or ice resulting in lower leg fractures, wrist fractures and back injuries." Against this, the risk of a volunteer jetsuiter turning himself into a lawn dart to rescue a daft old granny with a twisted ankle...
Good point ... It's hard to see how the Jet Suit could possibly help with victim extraction, considering we have yet to see it used to lift two people at once. How much extra fuel, apparatus, weight and / or thrust would be required to use it for airlifting an injured person out of a remote location?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
If they have a near-exact location for the incident, I can see the utility of a drone with a thermal imaging camera, real-time video transmitter and GPS.

An over-adrenalised volunteer zooming about in fog, snow and rain; in a hideously-expensive suit with an endurance shorter than some people can hold their breath? It's an employees' rights barrister's pension plan.

maximus otter

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I dont think they will be able to afford it.

(If the RN are actually going to go out there and deal with piracy then that is good news)

Herr Cloaca

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
There's an absolutely riveting book called The Rocketbelt Caper: A True Tale of Invention, Obsession and Murder, ISBN 9780955218378, which I recommend anyone reads.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
If the RN are actually going to go out there and deal with piracy
They do.
SBS squadron (nicknamed 'the shakies') dealt with the hijacking of a ship in the English Channel not so long ago.
After a ten hour 'stand-off' it took them 9 minutes to seize back control of the Nave Andromeda.
Don't mess with the SBS.
If they had jet packs instead of having to 'fast rope' onto the vessel it would probably have been over in about 8 minutes instead.

(And this was a highly publicised event. They deal with many other ones that we don't get to hear about too.)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-54687379