• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Preacher

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I see Preacher, the TV series, is now on Amazon. I've never read the comics, just know them by reputation, but I'm tempted to try the show, so has anyone here watched the first episode? Any good?

Thanks to the deafening clamour of support, I gave the pilot a go (series proper starts June 6th), and it wasn't bad at all. Not sure I was following it 100%, but Joseph Gilgun and Ruth Negga stole the show, I laughed a few times (headline: "Tom Cruise Explodes"), and it was early days so looks promising enough. Didn't realise beforehand that Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg were heavily involved behind the scenes, it is like their comedies in tone, only more dramatic if that makes sense.

Hmm, went a bit Wizard of Oz in the last episode, which makes sense if they're hitting the road for the second season. Apparently this was based on the prequel to the comics, and it does look like a long build up before the main event, but it was well cast and made me laugh a few times at the craziness. Not bad at all.

Back, back, back this week, and they've hit the road. An arresting beginning (arf) but looks like a game of cat and mouse developing, or even two. Watching this I was struck by the similarities to American Gods that has just finished its first run.

Where did Tulip learn her sick ninja skillz? Interesting use of Uptown Girl, seemed random unless I've missed something.

It's blocks Jesse's powers. I think he wasn't aware, but listens to the music when engaging in his hobbies.

Hugely entertaining series!
Cassidy, in particular, gets some great one-liners!

It's blocks Jesse's powers. I think he wasn't aware, but listens to the music when engaging in his hobbies.

Yeah, I got that he couldn't hear the big voice with the earphones in, I was just wondering if the choice of song was significant or a bit of random jokiness.

Yeah, I got that he couldn't hear the big voice with the earphones in, I was just wondering if the choice of song was significant or a bit of random jokiness.
Ah, probably random joking. Though I think in a sense Tulip is an uptown girl.

Really strong episode this week, just noticed how Joseph Gilgun is going like gangbusters in this now. Terrific performance (the other two are no slouches either, but he's a genuine scene-stealer).

The whole Messiah storyline this week... brave move. Blasphemous, too?

Laughed out loud at "...piercings?"

I like it. It's so much fun.
But to me it's just something to fill the gap between seasons of supernatural because it's very much like it.
Even though it's very good, it'll never come close to how brilliant supernatural is.

Blasphemy? In Preacher? Say it ain't so!

Been worried they'd tame that part down, glad they didn't.

Blasphemy? In Preacher? Say it ain't so!

Been worried they'd tame that part down, glad they didn't.

Bear in mind I never read the comics and thought it was a Jonah Hex-style Western series before the TV version began. Jesus Christ getting it on in all positions was highly amusing.

Bear in mind I never read the comics and thought it was a Jonah Hex-style Western series before the TV version began. Jesus Christ getting it on in all positions was highly amusing.
I had to be pushed to finally read it by a friend.
Now Preacher and Transmetropolitan are in my top 5 comics.
And yeah, it's not exactly like the comics, but for the most part I haven't minded the changes.

Well, that's another season in the bag. I liked this one more than the first, even if Tulip and Cassidy had basically nothing to do for most of it. Not keen on the cliffhanger either (we've all seen Game of Thrones). But it's been entertaining enough for me to want to see it back.

Back, back, back! Just been watching the first episode of season 3, it's OK but a bit of a setting up affair, hope they don't get stuck in the same location for hours on end again.

Really funny episode this week! It keeps threatening to turn into a comedy, a grotesque one of course, but they truly went for the funny bone this time. It suits them.

Action packed season finale, and finally we have a reason for Hitler being in this. Not sure about the cliffhanger - where was that cliff building supposed to be? Anyway, probably the best season so far, though Cass was separated from the other two for too long.

It's trailer season! Here's Preacher season 4:

This will be the last one, which the diehard comic buffs are rejoicing over, but I think it's improved as it's gone along. This looks wacky.

Some big laughs in ep. 4.1, I particularly liked "I've been tortured since before your mother had a moustache". I see 4.2 is already on Amazon, have to take a look soon.

Ep 4.2: God wiping out the dinosaurs because he was disgusted at them eating their own shit is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. I think this show is better than ever, so of course this is the last season.

It's certainly being played more for laughs than the previous series.

Star's reconstructed ear was the big laugh-out-loud moment for me.

Also, the fight between Tulip and Emery on top of Masada was beautifully choreographed.

I know you shouldn't laugh, really, but the bit with the nipples this week. Oh dearie me.

And that was that, one less thing to watch. Not a bad ending, wrapped things up with its customary humour, violence and blasphemy, so I can't complain. I've found this last season the best, but they've all had their moments. The cast were excellent, if nothing else. Maybe I should try The Boys now, I think it's made by the same people.

And that was that, one less thing to watch. Not a bad ending, wrapped things up with its customary humour, violence and blasphemy, so I can't complain. I've found this last season the best, but they've all had their moments. The cast were excellent, if nothing else. Maybe I should try The Boys now, I think it's made by the same people.

I felt slightly underwhelmed by the conclusion.
Thought the first two series were a lot better.

Back