• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Precognitive Dreams

Cool - I'm impressed :)

Now, if only I could dream the lottery numbers, everything would be just great!

salmon4224 said:
I don't believe in coincidence.

I'm with you on that! I had a dream one night that was just this side of a nightmare. I was driving through my neighborhood at night and turned the corner where the road was blocked by police. I saw a policewoman standing by the car just in front of mine, weeping. I jumped out of the car to see if I could help her and she just kept crying, and saying "It's so horrible, it's horrible." I kept trying to find out what but she couldn't say. Another police officer came up and I found out that there was a house a little ways down the street where some children had been murdered.

There was more, but I don't remember many more details. I woke up with that dream, and it stuck with me because of the clarity as well as the strong emotion.

Later than day I was sitting on the couch reading. The TV was on with the sound turned down. I remember feeling compelled to look up at the screen, where there was a helicopter shot of a trailer out in the middle of the desert. I felt equally compelled to turn the sound on and find out what I was looking at. It was a news program. The helicopter was hovering over a trailer located on one of the Indian reservations in the north of the state. The announcer was talking about how the night before a man had shot his four daughters to death, and shot his son, who survived. They interviewed a couple of police officers, one of whom kept shaking his head and repeating over and over "It's so horrible, it's horrible." While this kind of story on the news would normally make me feel a little sad, and shake my head and wonder what the world is coming to, this one literally felt like a punch in the stomach.

Could have been a coincidence, I suppose. I don't know why I felt so strongly; I didn't know any of the people. I'd driven through that section of the reservation maybe twice in my life. I've had other, what may have been "prophetic" dreams, but none that affected me so strongly.

And was it prophetic? Coincidental?

giantrobot1 said:
I've experienced the exact same thing many times. It's as if you get a flash of a 'future memory' when in the dozy, half asleep state when waking up.
This is when i also experience precognitive dreams also when i wake up then go back to sleep. i dream about what is going to happen to other people but i see it through there eyes .i know the event i have dreamed about has occurred as many have ended up on the news .

I often have dreams where my dreamstate and the real world interact at the exact moment of waking.

For example, just the other day I dreamt that I was walking to a friends house. Many things happened on the way to delay me and finally I arrived at his door, later than I was expected. I began ringing the doorbell. At the exact same time as I pressed the bell in the dream, my doorbell rang at home and I instantly leaped from bed to answer the door. No half awake grogginess or Where Am I? feeling but it was as if I had been prepared for the action of dealing with a visitor.

The dream seemed like it was a long one and the ringing of the bell was a natural progression of events and not, I feel, the end of the dream yet it coincided with the real world perfectly. I find it hard to believe that my brain could dream all of the events and generate a storyline in the time it took for the doorbell to register in my brain. The same thing has happened with my mobile, I dreamt I dropped it and so asked my girlfriend to call it from her mobile to check it was still working. It began ringing in the dream at the same moment as it began ringing on my bedside table, again resulting in an instant awakening.

Another one!!

Maybe it's the influence of being on these boards???

I have been looking for another job and so the last month I have spent applying for jobs and sometimes even getting interviews. All in all I had 5 interviews at 4 different companies (one company called me back for a second interview). Last week were the most recent and I had an interview Tuesday morning and afternoon and then one on Wednesday. So I suppose you could say that my mind was on the issue a fair bit. However to my knowledge, I didn't dream anything about interviews/jobs etc until Tuesday night. I had a dream I was at my current place of work adn I knew I was leaving. In the dream my boss gave me a bunch of yellow flowers which I had sitting on my lap while he gave a speech about how sad he was I was leaving.

Anyway, the interview on Wednesday went so well, they offered me the job there and then adn I will be leaving my current job in the new year. I don't know whether it was a premonition (after all, I dream it the night before the interview, and I hadn't dreamt anything similar before) or whether my mind was just blown out from the two interviews the previous day and I was carrying that on in my sleep. Either way, I'll be looking out for yellow flowers on my last day :D 8)

Re: Another one!!

Littlegreylady said:
Maybe it's the influence of being on these boards???

I'd agree, except that I had that dream years ago, before I knew of the existence of this board. Probably before we all had computers in our homes, as well.

Congratulations on your new job! :yeay:

Re: Another one!!

Littlegreylady said:
Anyway, the interview on Wednesday went so well, they offered me the job there and then adn I will be leaving my current job in the new year. Either way, I'll be looking out for yellow flowers on my last day :D 8)

So, have you left yet?? And if so, were there any yellow flowers??

Is it a necessary condition of precognitive dreams that they show you an exact picture of the future- in a sort of 'replay' way, or can they simply be 'paraphrases' of the future?

My own precognitive dreams are generally 'replays' related to events which happen 2/3 months later, which I find strange when considering the 'repeated cycle of the universe' theory. Could it be that our lives are composed of a selection of staggered 'tapes' which we can change @ specific points, hence our subconsicous can only show us events up to the end of that particular 'tape'?

Reading the RIP thread I saw that Ivor Cutler died last week. A couple of weeks ago I had a dream of Ivor Cutlers obituary in the press, a fragment in a dream unrelated to Ivor Cutler (the dream was about being my mother for any psychiatrists reading this thread ;) )

Last year I had dreams of reading or hearing the obituaries of comedian Malcolm Hardee and Hunter S Thompson two weeks or so before they died.

In each dream the obituary scenes appeared as brief fragments in an unrelated context.

Although I know of or own works of the above artists, none of them had been on my mind or are ever much in my mind.

For instance I love the records of Link Wray and often thought 'He is getting on a bit' but before he died I did not dream of his obituary as I had with the others.

Abendstern said:
Is it a necessary condition of precognitive dreams that they show you an exact picture of the future- in a sort of 'replay' way, or can they simply be 'paraphrases' of the future?

My own precognitive dreams are generally 'replays' related to events which happen 2/3 months later, which I find strange when considering the 'repeated cycle of the universe' theory. Could it be that our lives are composed of a selection of staggered 'tapes' which we can change @ specific points, hence our subconsicous can only show us events up to the end of that particular 'tape'?
in "An Experiment with Time" which is mainly about precognitive dreams, JW Dunne contends that snippets of the future are included in dreams about as often as snippets of the past, and in the same way. So like little things that happened to you the day before might crop up in novel situations when you're dreaming, the same is for things that are going to happen to you tomorrow.

when I was a kid I used to dream that my intestines were falling out and I kept trying to scoop them back in. Sounds like a horrible nightmare for a ten year old probably brought on by watching horror movies, but I was three at the time and it was a recurring dream.

Years later it turns out I have an umbilical hernia (intestines falling out).

Now, I'm not one to really connect the dots and see much into it, it just reminded me of a story where a woman had dreamt of wolves devouring her stomach only to discover she had stomach cancer. Given that umbilical hernias are something that will be a defect from birth waiting to happen later in life, I could almost say my dreams were letting me know there's a hole in my stomach wall and that one day my intestines would push their way through.

Now, in my instance, that's still not enough to convince me as I believe it to be coincidence but I do think there's something in the idea that when you sleep, your body has a way of making you aware of problems that don't seem apparent, by telling you through dreams.

I had another this morning. I dreamt I was in a hairdressers and the girl asked me what I wanted doing. I said a trim, she said how about some highlights or colour and stretched out her hand to feel my hair. At that same instant, my girlfriend began stroking my hair and I woke up with a start, another dream meets real life in a perfect match.

Anafranil said:
Reading the RIP thread I saw that Ivor Cutler died last week. A couple of weeks ago I had a dream of Ivor Cutlers obituary in the press, a fragment in a dream unrelated to Ivor Cutler (the dream was about being my mother for any psychiatrists reading this thread ;) )

Last year I had dreams of reading or hearing the obituaries of comedian Malcolm Hardee and Hunter S Thompson two weeks or so before they died.

In each dream the obituary scenes appeared as brief fragments in an unrelated context.

Although I know of or own works of the above artists, none of them had been on my mind or are ever much in my mind.

Odd enough. I wonder if we're not just picking up signals on some frequency otherwise not known to us, and not occurring in what we think of as linear time. I mean, maybe you "heard/sensed/felt/received" ? the obits from somewhere (somewhen?) they had already happened.

One day a couple of years back Warren Zevon's face and voice just crashed into my consciousness. I wasn't listening to music or radio, or TV, or anything. Matter of fact, I recall I was doing laundry. I wasn't a particularly huge fan of his. I had known he'd been ill, but I wasn't following his story. I found out the next day that he had passed, right around the time I thought of him.

meowfur said:
Anafranil said:

Odd enough. I wonder if we're not just picking up signals on some frequency otherwise not known to us, and not occurring in what we think of as linear time. I mean, maybe you "heard/sensed/felt/received" ? the obits from somewhere (somewhen?) they had already happened.

One day a couple of years back Warren Zevon's face and voice just crashed into my consciousness. I wasn't listening to music or radio, or TV, or anything. Matter of fact, I recall I was doing laundry. I wasn't a particularly huge fan of his. I had known he'd been ill, but I wasn't following his story. I found out the next day that he had passed, right around the time I thought of him.[/quote

A good point. The 'premonitions' or whatever one wishes to name them, are always of obituaries from the media.

A few years an acquaintance of mine committed suicide. We had lost touch over the years and I hadn't seen him for two years or so and I hadn't given him much thought.

I had a dream that people had posted their memories of my acquaintance on a website.

6 months or so later I met an mutal friend who told me that he had committed suicide and it was mentioned in the local paper and local news website. I checked the website and there was a couple of posts remembering his work for community charities.

So, perhaps I have 'tuned in' to some sort of frequency?

Emma~ said:
I am currently undertaking a research project on precognitive dreams. I was interested to know if anyone has had any experiences of such dreams......

I had a dream a couple of weeks ago that could be classified as precognitive:

The dream involved the usual surreal imagery that you would expect from a dream, but the subject wasn't that exceptional compared to most of the dreams I have. The dream was however extremely lucid, so my memory of its content remained clear in my mind the next day.

The relevant part of my dream began when I found myself in my living room looking out of the bay window onto the street below. Its dark outside and there is a very thin crust of snow all over the road and the pavement.

Directly in front of my house is a T-junction and stood on the pavement is a woman with her husky, waiting to cross the road. At this point a pack of around eight huskies appear, pulling a man on a sled. The huskies and the sled are brought to a stop and the man and the woman begin to talk.

Whilst the two people are distracted a black-coloured fox emerges from a nearby bush. The huskies spot the fox and break free from their harnesses to give chase. At this point, I leap out of the lounge window to give chase and stop the huskies from catching the fox and ripping it to shreds. Before I can catch up with the huskies I wake up.

The next day I go about my business and throughout the day I find myself periodically reminding myself of the events in this peculiar and vivid dream.

I work from home and quite often find myself wandering into my lounge to look out of the bay window and momentarily watch the world go by. When I decided that I had finished with work for the day, I poured myself a drink and went to have another look through my lounge window. However on this occasion I recall joking to myself that perhaps I might get to see some huskies. I was absolutely amazed to see, you guessed it, a lone husky, sniffing around the area of pavement where the woman and her dog had been waiting to cross the road (in the dream). The dog was clearly disorientated and lost. I grabbed a spare dog-leash (I find a lot of stray dogs, or they find me) and deciding to restrain the dog and locate its owner. To cut a long story short, I found the owner within 10 minutes and the husky finally made his way home safely.

My instinct tells me that it is all a coincidence, but I would like to stress that huskies aren't common in my area (Cheshire, UK). I do recall seeing a woman walking one last December, but none before or since. Most local dog owners make their way past my house, so I am pretty familiar with all of the regular dogs that are walked in my area. None are huskies.

In the weeks leading up to the dream I didn't watch any arctic themed programmes, or read any husky related material: so that particular breed of dog wasn't on my mind in any way. I even remember thinking to my self in the dream that seeing just one husky was unusual enough, let alone 8 pulling a sled.

I hate to think about might have happened if I hadn’t gone to the window when I did. The dog could easily have been knocked over in the traffic, or worse.

One, last thing. Like many people who have already posted, I too regularly dream about inconsequential ‘snippets’ of future conversations or social situations. When the events do occur I almost always recall dreaming the event previously. Unlike deja vu, I often find it amusing to recall the surreal twists such events took in their dreamt incarnation.

Hi Emma,
A friend of mine has just completed his masters in deja vu. Would it help if I ask him if he is interested in contacting you, via this board, re: research and soforth?

You can get a masters in that?

I thought I had heard it all before.

Not precisely. He was studying an area of psychology (to do with memory I think..oops) and his chosen method was to investigate it via deja vu. Sorry if I confused - however, I would still say he has a masters in deja vu :D

GadaffiDuck said:
......I would still say he has a masters in deja vu :D

Sort of............I get your point though. It would be useful to hear the perspective of a psychologist's understanding of deja vu. I know, as most will, how 'real' deja vu feels (as is the same for minor precognitive dream episodes), but that doesn't necessarily make the experience real.

You could almost think of deja vu as a form of cognitive simulacra.

As humans, we all seem to look for patterns, and similarities between what we see and what we dream may be exaggerated (or made to fit). In other word, we may even conveniently re-interpret dreams to fit in with what could be considered pre-cognised events.

Dreams that seem to 'come true' will require strong evidence to justify legitimacy..................in spite of my own experience.

I would imagine that someone would need to conduct some form of experiment with people who claim to have precognitive dreams. Obviously participants would have to create diaries that would be date-logged, so as to authenticate possible precognition. In the age of the blog, this should be easy to organise.

ghostdog19 said:
when I was a kid I used to dream that my intestines were falling out and I kept trying to scoop them back in. Sounds like a horrible nightmare for a ten year old probably brought on by watching horror movies, but I was three at the time and it was a recurring dream.

Years later it turns out I have an umbilical hernia (intestines falling out).

Now, I'm not one to really connect the dots and see much into it, it just reminded me of a story where a woman had dreamt of wolves devouring her stomach only to discover she had stomach cancer. Given that umbilical hernias are something that will be a defect from birth waiting to happen later in life, I could almost say my dreams were letting me know there's a hole in my stomach wall and that one day my intestines would push their way through.

Now, in my instance, that's still not enough to convince me as I believe it to be coincidence but I do think there's something in the idea that when you sleep, your body has a way of making you aware of problems that don't seem apparent, by telling you through dreams.

A while ago I developed a maddening patch of psoriasis on each of my calves..about three months previous to this I'd dreamt I was being whipped around the calves by a skinhead with a handful of stinging nettles.

Interesting. I do sometimes wonder if when body systems start to break down or get ill that if there is an alarm method that is not quite strong enough to provoke a reflex action (e.g. gagging) but can somehow affect the neurological substrate underpinning the neocortex.

Re: psychological perspective on deja vu; it all depends on which area of psychology is discussing it e.g. cognitive psychology would offer a very different explanation from perhaps social psychology, although both would attempt to use info from one another when discussing the subject. I will see if my friend will allow us to have a gander at his work. He is a very nice japanese guy and would probably be very interested (though hugely embarrassed) to see what people thought of his theory. :D

Abendstern said:

This is precisely what's been happening to me for years. In the most recent case, I dreamt about two to three months ago that I was standing on the bank of a river, looking up a grassy slope at a strangely colored massive angular deck sticking out of the side of a building at the top of the slope. The deck was purple and looked like something out of Blade Runner.

About two weeks ago, I visited Minneapolis, MN with my wife and some friends, a city I've never visited before and have never read about, and we toured around all the funky blue state neighborhoods. At some point, late in the day, we went down to a ruined millwork that has been preserved below a long stone bridge over the Mississippi river. I was walking along the stone walkways they've built along the river, idly watchng artists sitting on rocks drawing and painting the ruins, when I got a funny feeling, turned around and looked up. It was the exact scene from my dream!

Apparently, the 'deck' is a massive protrusion from the building which I think is some kind of art museum we didn't get a chance to visit. Nothing really momentous happened that day besides finding a city I would definitely like to visit again and again.

As for the hows and whys, I've come up with a couple personal theories. The first is that these mundane precognitions are a way of keeping myself on some kind of path. But to where? I notice they happen more when I'm doing things I want to do, when I'm less stressed, when I'm happy. During times when I keep my nose to the grindstone and try to do what I think society expects of me despite my own misery, they happen less.

The second theory is related to something I think is called quantum enfoldment. Apparently, there's a little demonstration you can do where you take a jar of glycerine, add a drop of ink and spin it around so the ink spreads out into the glycerine. If you then spin the jar the opposite direction, the glycerine will 'unspread' back into the original drop as if you were reversing time. The point being that the universe is like glycerine and you are the drop. You leave a sort of trail through spacetime so that it is not the you now that is 'you' but the entire trail that is 'you.'

That probably sounds strange but it's just like a piece of music. You can't point at an individual note and call it the song. You have to look at the entire sequence of notes, their duration, etc through time to experience what you'd call the song. We're like music. We're the song, not the notes. Only we're not usually aware of it.

The third, and final, theory is kind of similar. I believe in quantum theory that Heisenberg Uncertainty is resolved by sayinig that particles don't choose to do this or that in this universe. What really happens is that, each time a choice between two or more possibilities is presented, all paths are pursued, causing the universe to split off into that many alternates. Consequently, there's a huge but not infinite number of universes equally to all the possible choices presented throughout all time.

So, assuming that's the case and that we are still music, instead of being a piece of music through time, we are the sum total of all our selves across all possible universes. Some universes are ahead of us. Some are behind. Some are different. Many are nearly identical.

The point in both cases is that, in some way, we are able to access the entire song of our own lives and the lives of others because we ARE the song, not the note. We're just not aware of it.

Sorry for the long post. :roll: I just love thinking about this and I think best out loud. :D

I think you could be right....it's not so much the nature of time which bothers me, but the REASON for these totally pointless visions.

Part of what I find so strange is that when precog is generally discussed in the media, we're talking ships sinking and bombs exploding, but that from what I've managed to glean generally, most precogs are totally mundane events.

That makes me wonder:
Why do we remember?
Generally, memories are of important things that our brains have remembered because in some way they are important to us, but that rule of thumb doesn't seem to apply here. I too, sometimes wonder if these occurrences are signposts for me to follow, whether they could be related to 'intuition' which I and everyone else experience. Thing is, generally, intuition is related to avoiding negative consequences, whereas this type of precog seems more benign (I make no comment on the earlier 'my guts are falling out dream' which appears to be a different type of internal intuition).

Weird dream last night. not, perhaps, precognitive, but involving information I had no knowledge of.

In my dream, among many other events, a group of friends and I were mugged, in a very threatening situation.

I found out today that last night, my close friend was mugged, and beaten up. I wonder if it's 'just coincidence', or if I somehow picked up on it?

The whole affair is very unfortunate.

Abendstern said:
most precogs are totally mundane events...

And here's another, underscoring your point exactly. Last Thursday night I had a dream about looking at a magazine cover. The cover had a vividly colored photograph of a fish on it. I remember thinking it was weird that my magazine had a fish on it, but I was intrigued by the color and the detail.

Woke up, forgot all about the fish picture, and went to a local arts and crafts fair. Strolled around looking at all the terribly non-original pottery and jewelry and stuff and saw there, a painting of that fish. As soon as I saw it I remembered the dream.

And then...nothing. Nothing happened. I didn't look down and find a hundred dollar bill, I didn't get arrested, I didn't meet the man of my dreams, I didn't even end up having fish for dinner. So, :wtf:

meowfur said:
And then...nothing. Nothing happened. I didn't look down and find a hundred dollar bill, I didn't get arrested, I didn't meet the man of my dreams, I didn't even end up having fish for dinner.

Yes, it's been noted before in this forum: these incidents tend to be highly mundane.

I'm a vegetarian, yet, two weeks ago I dreamed about frying sausages. The next morning, my husband announced that he'd decided to cook sausages for his yoga group that evening. Uh.

When I was fifteen I dreamt that I was wearing a necklace with the ankh symbol on it, in the morning I was woken by my little sister telling my that my grandmother had brought us presents. She handed me the present and I knew instantly that it was the necklace from my dream, before I had even opened it.

I had other similar dreams at the time, but none of them were as striking as that example.

I think I wrote two of my three major prcog dreams a long time ago on this thread but I think I forgot the one where I dreamed about a particular butcher shop, advertising a vacancy as a tray cleaner with a spelling mistake and that I got the job. Now nothing could have been further on my to-do list as I had just quit school. However a day or so later i go into town and not only is the light correct but there is the piece of A-4 paper advertising a job. Interested I go up to it and read and yes there was a spelling mistake. I go home and my parents "force" me to go for an interview [lazy such and such], I go in and get it. Oh I forgot, in the dream I had to ask for someone whose name was Katrin or something and when I got in I had to see a woman called Katrina [arbitrary example as I can't rmember the real name].

Boring but it was one of the most exact ones I had and not just some symbols and signs. It happened exactly as in the dream, down to the red sun.

I had a bizarre precog dream a few weeks back regarding one of my good friends.
I dreamt she was pregnant. I told her the next day and we all had a laugh about it. I even apologised to her If I had jinxed her (Ive done this before with another friend). Several weeks later...she tells me she is pregnant. She and her husband weren't trying. When I had my dream It would have been just before or when she was only just pregnant and unaware, exactly the same as what happened with the previous friend!! Weird or what? :shock:

Back