• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Precognitive Dreams

A

Anonymous

I am currently undertaking a research project on precognitive dreams. I was interested to know if anyone has had any experiences of such dreams, or if they have any good links for more information on the subject. I am currently performing an experiment in the style of J. W. Dunne, but as of yet have had no success. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

My stepfather used to write down all his dreams on waking (still does for all I know) and when I asked him he told me that yes, you do notice minor precognitions amid the jumble. He's quite keen on Jung and that though, so he may be biased. You could try keeping a dream diary methodically and see if it turns up any evidence.

I haven't had one in a while, but for many years I have had the most worthless precognative dreams imaginable. They would always come right before waking, and would be a short snippit from the future that meant nothing at all (like walking down the street or having supper, totally mundane events). My dreams would always end with my thinking "I've seen this before in a dream". When it actually happened in real life, my realization - that such an event happened in an earlier dream - would end the event. And, unlike deja vu, I could remember the dream from which the precognition came from.

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
I haven't had one in a while, but for many years I have had the most worthless precognative dreams imaginable. They would always come right before waking, and would be a short snippit from the future that meant nothing at all (like walking down the street or having supper, totally mundane events). My dreams would always end with my thinking "I've seen this before in a dream". When it actually happened in real life, my realization - that such an event happened in an earlier dream - would end the event. And, unlike deja vu, I could remember the dream from which the precognition came from.

I've had those sorts of dreams all my life, and still do from time to time.

However I tend to think that these dreams are not precognitive at all, just dreams of mundane things I do many, many times and sometimes trigger a memory of me having dreamed a similar event.

Emma!

Yes your precognition does not work while you are awake because of your busy life style!!And you are more aware of it when you are sleeping because when you become tired your body goes into sleep phaze 2 this is when you know that you are way passed yawns and close your eyes so now you are on your way to phaze 3- and into 4 this is when your body is realy relaxed !! Some would think it as exausted but that is when your body has hit its fullest Nirvana its like a spiritual rest and then the pictures come into thought when you are awake and i know you have had thoughts of well is this deJavue the answer is no it hasnt happened yet and the abilities to see things before they happen are taking effect !!
Sincerely,[email protected] ;)

To Emma,
I would be interested in what controls and research methods you are proposing in your project. The major problem with collecting your data would clearly be a self selected sample. Further, if your method involves self report, then clearly the power of your design may called into question. Indeed, one would need a random sample instructed to write down any dreams they believed to be precog - though clearly the instructions could also be construed as a design confound. Moreover, one would also have to have a strict criteria for hits and misses - and not be led by whimsy. :roll:

Precognition

On Monday night I had a weird dream. I dreamt that I was in a Led Zeppelin tribute band. It was a great dream and when I woke up I was very dissappointed that it wasn't real. Anyway, I got to college the next morning and as I was walking up the driveway to college a friend of mine walked up to me from sitting on the grass outside college (by the way, the guy's name is Adam but everyone calls him Jesus). He came up to me and told me about an open evening that the college is having and the college needs a few bands to play at a party afterwards. He asked me if I would like to join him and a drummer friend of his and perform a few Led Zeppelin songs. He also said that, if I wanted, we could form a Led Zeppelin tribute band. I found this very odd and would like some feedback please. Cheers.

Re: Precognition

Perhaps what you experienced was not precognition but telepathy; that is, you somehow got the information that your friend was working on this event.

Of course, since such events require quite a bit of pre-planning, you could also have overheard someone speaking about it and filed the information subconsciously only to have the information emerge in a dream.

Interesting, either way, tho.

Interesting, but did the dream/precognition actually come true as in the images, were the same sights in your dream and in real life afterwards (if you get my drift!) :?

Of course there is Ye Olde Scientific view: 'It was all just a coincidence'

I have these precognitive dreams all the time, about everything, I dream about eating, going out, family events before they happen. I had a very interesting one about my sister recently - in my dream she was giving birth and a few days later she announced that she was pregnant! I had to act surprised but I already knew she was just by the dream and a feeling I got when I saw her. My family tell me that Im a "sensitive" and very intuitive. I have a habit of seeing the bad in people when noone else does and getting proved right in the end when they show their true colours. Its happened far too many times to be coincidence.
Sometimes I get freaked out by this "precognitive" stuff, I always know whos on the phone when it rings, and I always seem to text people just when they are sending me one!

I forgot about this thread - I was just thinking of posting one similar when this cropped up. Has anyone read An Experiment With Time by JW Dunne? I am just halfway through and it's very interesting. Essentially, the author (a very Oxfordy, military, biplane designing type) realises he has some dreams of things before they happen. He performs a half-scientific experiment with various subjects where he proves, at least to his own satisfaction, that inconsequential dreams containing elements of the future are at least as common as the same kind of dreams of the past. And then he occasionally gets flashes of disasters, too.
He then goes into a complicated theory of how time works based on this evidence, which I find difficult to get my head round.
Some of the things he says are:
-It is not extraordinary people or psychics who get this effect, it is everybody
-The way to test it is to make a record of your dreams as soon as you wake, and before you think of anything else
-Even people who "never dream" can remember their dreams by following up what they were thinking about when they awoke
-Dreams of the future are the same as dreams of the past, just a bit jumbled up in time

MrRING said:

I've experienced the exact same thing many times. It's as if you get a flash of a 'future memory' when in the dozy, half asleep state when waking up.

I always get an odd feeling when I see the dream 'come true', such as seeing a specific, but mundane, scene I've experienced in the dreamstate.

What if these dreams are not precognitive at all, but merely a memory of the last cycle of the Universe?

AstralShores said:
What if these dreams are not precognitive at all, but merely a memory of the last cycle of the Universe?

Brilliant!

dreams, precognitive or. . . you wish they were?

My favorite dreams are precognitive, but the events just have not happened yet.

You know, the one about being the head of a harem, and all the harem girls. . . well, nevermind ;)

Precognitive dream

I don't have precognitive dreams very often, but here's a recent one which freaked me out a little...

I met a guy (we'll call him Steve) online a few months ago and we were planning to have a relationship, but the only drawback to this was that he's in the armed forces and was serving out in the Middle East for a few months, making it impossible for us to meet.

Two days before Steve got back to the UK, I had a dream about him - it was our first meeting and he was stuck in a wheelchair - he couldnt walk. I woke up pretty worried about him, but comforted myself by thinking it's only a dream.

He contacted me when he got back to the Uk, and we arranged to meet up after he'd been to visit his parents up North. The thing is he never called and never turned up on the day we'd arranged, and I found out later that on the way up to see his parents he'd been in a car crash, had broken several bones, and couldn't walk!

Well, I thought it was spooky anyway....

What if dreams of that kind are merely a memory of the last cycle of the universe, as opposed to being prophetic?

What if dreams of that kind are merely a memory of the last cycle of the universe, as opposed to being prophetic?
Aargghh! You mean I've got to go through all this again!? :eek:

You have already been through it an infinite number of times!

Thing is, these precognitive dreams are often only seen as such after the event. I've had a couple of vivid dreams where I was so sure that they would be precognitive I wrote them up into my diary immediately. Neither really came true as I dreamt it, but they still sort of back up my hope for some kind of magical power thing happening.

Re: Precognitive dream

salmon4224 said:
I don't have precognitive dreams very often, but here's a recent one which freaked me out a little...

I don't have precognitive dreams at all. But then I can't sleep. Yawn. But that's another story.

Please don't take this the wrong way - I really don't wish to offend. You say 'not very often', and I'm paraphrasing(sic?) there. But please tell more.

It's not unusual for someone to suffer leg injuries in a car accident.

I mean you could well have been predicting the latest episode of 'Little Brittian' for all I know.

Why did THIS freak you out.

Please tell more.

WOW. I just had a really weird dream about posting on this forum.

Make my dream come true and reply.

Frobush, I say I don't very often have precognitive dreams, but i have had a few. For example a few years ago I dreamed that my grandmother was saying Goodbye to me and I had the distinct feeling during that dream that I wouldn't see her again. I woke up the next morning to hear my mum and sister crying, and I already knew what had happened - my grandmother had died in the night.

Not all my precognitive dreams are so dramatic or personal, sometimes I'll dream about an event that will appear in the news, or about something that i'll see or hear during the following day.

Of course, you could never really say whether they are truly precognitive or just a coincidence - however I don't believe in coincidence.

My brother, Shawn, died, ages ago. Sometimes. Just sometimes I FEEL him watching over me. Guiding(sp) me, if you like. I have no rational explanation for this. Judging by the amount of trouble I've managed to get myself into I guess he's not very good at this guidance thing. Still, I get great comfort from this feeling.

once I thought I was having precognitive dreams when I would dream about car accidents and similar stuff and then see them on the news the next day. Took me a while to figure out I was just hearing news reports in my sleep (I used to sleep with the radio on) and just taking my cue from them.

the mind eh? what's it playing at?

Anyway, salmon4224, yours does seem a little beyond the realm of coincidence to me, I mean it was fairly specific.

POssible precognitive dream?

I had a dream on MOnday night about David Jason. I don't know why since I hadn't watched anything with him in lately, nor had I watched the news/TV at all really. I dreamt I was interviewing him.
I remember saying to my boyfriend the next morning to listen out because if he was in the news, then it was a premonition of something. ANyway, this morning BBC news were talking about him saying he had been given a knighthood and has got married.

Hooorah!!

LOL I know it's not a true premonition but a very interesting coincidence.

Did he get the Knighthood on the Monday or the Tuesday?

Easy to find out, I guess.

I know I heard about it during the early hours 'cos I keep the TV on while I sleep, er, or not.

If Tuesday then WOW!

I'll go and have a look around. Back in a bit.

Back