• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Preconditions For The Use Of Magic

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
I know that

If there are certain preconditions to the use of magic those preconditions will inevitably arrange themselves.

is found in Stephen King's It.

Is it found elsewhere? in that form or in others?

What about the idea that "magic" conspires to get itself used in general? any other phenomena it's used for?

If we define magic as using will and intention to influence an outcome, then following a well crafted business plan to successful realisation could be seen as an act of magic.

Creating a piece of art to physical reality from an idea.
A piece of music that forms in a musicians head, in a flash of inspiration is conspiring to have itself created in physical form. The muse being the creator the musician the conduit.

Stephen King’s writing style is highly magical - he starts without knowing what the story will be and it forms as it goes along, trusting it will resolve itself.

Stephen King’s writing style is highly magical - he starts without knowing what the story will be and it forms as it goes along, trusting it will resolve itself.

That's not magic. That's having read sufficiently to understand how a narrative and character arc works. I know lots of people who write without a plan (we call ourselves 'pantsers', we write by the seat of our pants). Once you understand how a story should be structured, you don't really have to plan, because the elements will slot themselves together, once you've started them off.

That's not magic. That's having read sufficiently to understand how a narrative and character arc works. I know lots of people who write without a plan (we call ourselves 'pantsers', we write by the seat of our pants). Once you understand how a story should be structured, you don't really have to plan, because the elements will slot themselves together, once you've started them off.

Well I guess it depends on your definition of magic.
Stephen King in his book ‘On Writing’ talks of ‘the Muse’ which (for him) thought forms as a cigar chomping gangster type character that ever presently hovers saying nothing.
But when he does - “that’s where the good stuff is”

Why do you think (genuine question asked respectfully rather than combatively ) Stephen chooses to personify and credit a muse rather than attribute writing to a more deep psychological ‘unconscious’ function of his creative mind ?

Because it sounds better in interviews? I've no idea why the great Mr King would pick a muse rather than say 'yeah, I sit down in front of a keyboard with an empty mind and things just happen', but, as an author, you do get a bit tired of people asking 'where do you get your ideas from?' (at least once in every single interview). You have to give them some kind of answer. The cigar chomping gangster is a particularly memorable one though!

Why do you think (genuine question asked respectfully rather than combatively ) Stephen chooses to personify and credit a muse rather than attribute writing to a more deep psychological ‘unconscious’ function of his creative mind ?

Not having read 'On Writing' I can't say if the answer's there. However, King has knowledge of psychology and does understand how certain deep unconscious urges can be personified.

In his story Dolan's Cadillac, for example, Robinson's psychotic desire for revenge presents itself as his murdered wife's voice encouraging and instructing him.

Robinson accepts the voice as his wife's.
After he revenges her he is relieved when he hears no more from her. So is it really her ghost or just his own unconscious?
This ambiguity is what makes it my favourite of his works.

So the cigar chomping gangster type character is either a sentient being whom only King can see and hear who assists King with storytelling, or he's King's personification of his own highly vigorous creative urge.

Because it sounds better in interviews? I've no idea why the great Mr King would pick a muse rather than say 'yeah, I sit down in front of a keyboard with an empty mind and things just happen', but, as an author, you do get a bit tired of people asking 'where do you get your ideas from?' (at least once in every single interview). You have to give them some kind of answer. The cigar chomping gangster is a particularly memorable one though!
Perhaps there is a super sensory unknown gear in the creative process of a proven genius’ like King - that appears (to them) to be outside of even their highest abilities and transcends (and is therefore unknowable to us )the more easily rationalised experience of us mortals.

Perhaps muse is a function of an internal deep subconscious library of possibilities and knowledge built up with life experience
Perhaps the deep unconscious can access an external library of limitless possibilities and Knowledge built with life’s experience. (Akashic Record)

The line between the deep psychological and esoteric must be very fine at these extremes of perception

Last edited:
Back