Predictions For 2022

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
Reaction score
A new pop/rock trend will emerge in the UK, spurred on by the success of Wet leg.

It will be unashamedly middle-class and centred around the provinces, particularly the coastal areas. The look will be folksy-hippy. The sound will be punk/grunge/psychobilly (it will be very guitar based and implicitly anti-techno) and the attitude will be hedonistic and mockingly humorous.

The press will dub it `lobster pop`, or something.

Widely understood as a reaction to the privations of the pandemic, it will cause a pleasant diversion throughout 2022 and will bring a few sexy new bands into the mainstream - but will be too escapist to have all that much of a lasting impact.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Tssk! Tssk! Yithian - and I'm an expat too! (Haven't been back since the pandemic began).

Check out the Music thread or just type it into Youtube!

Will do.

(I thought you'd made it up! It sounded like a joke name!)

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Since 2020 and 2021 were not great, I wonder about the odds on 2022 of being better ?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Since 2020 and 2021 were not great, I wonder about the odds on 2022 of being better ?

2022 may end up seeming better (on balance; overall) a year from now, but IMHO it's going to look much worse during its opening months.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
2022 may end up seeming better (on balance; overall) a year from now, but IMHO it's going to look much worse during its opening months.
You'll be revisiting this comment, this time next year, after the Russia/Ukraine conflict, the collapse of the western flank of La Palma and the ensuing Tsunami reaching the shores of the US, and the arrival of our Alien Overlords......All Hail the Gargalflaxians!!!

What Tyler

Spoon, Jar, Jar, Spoon...
Reaction score
How about at least one big energy company gets renationalised....
HS2 finally cancelled ( more expensive than Apollo, and to go only about 250 miles!)

Royal Navy finally get enough F35’s to fill about half the capacity of our “Super” Carrier HMS White Elephant- am I correct in thinking sister ship HMS “Sitting Duck” is still being built- all relying of course if we all have a root around down our sofas etc, for any loose change we can chuck in...and as for filling them up- have you seen the price of diesel !!

On a more positive note- the James Webb Telescope finds atmospheric evidence of gases on an extrasolar planet indicating the possibility of life....

Trevp666

Reaction score
as for filling them up- have you seen the price of diesel
Not so much of a problem with the R08 series of aircraft carrier as they mainly rely on GE Integrated electric propulsion powered by two Rolls-Royce Marine 36 MW MT30 gas turbine alternators and four 10 MW diesel engines.
The 36 megawatt gas turbines do most of the work with the diesel engines as a back-up.

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
So my 2022 predictions;
- Covid 19 will be renamed as 'the pandemic of 2020/21' with new cases dwindling away to nothing more than a few hundreds of cases worldwide of various, short-lived, mutated strains.
- Evidence for fossilised life-forms will be discovered by the Perseverance rover in alluvial deposits in Jezero Crater on Mars.
I deeply and sincerely hope these two come true.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A crash in the Chinese property market sees mainland China invade Taiwan in an effort to boost national morale.

Russia sends troops into Ukraine, but stops short of a full invasion.

Inflation in the West sees large increase in use of food banks, and a decrease in the amount of people who can afford holidays.

A shake up in Premier League football, with clubs demanding changes to the fixtures and greater say over kick-off times.

What Tyler

Spoon, Jar, Jar, Spoon...
Reaction score
Not so much of a problem with the R08 series of aircraft carrier as they mainly rely on GE Integrated electric propulsion powered by two Rolls-Royce Marine 36 MW MT30 gas turbine alternators and four 10 MW diesel engines.
The 36 megawatt gas turbines do most of the work with the diesel engines as a back-up.
Oks...However have they seen the price of gas! Shouda gone Nuke, maybe...?

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
You are so right about inflation in America running about 7% now.

This is ruff on fixed income citizens.

Russia’s and China’s intentions always produce stress.

Will covid mutate again ?

Trevp666

Reaction score
Oks...However have they seen the price of gas! Shouda gone Nuke, maybe...?
'Gas' turbine is a slight misnomer, in that they can run on any fuel that can be 'gassified', so petrol, parrafin, kerosene, etc as well as 'traditional' gases such as butane, propane and methane.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
On the TV, the reporter were asking women their New Year’s resolution.

They all said they want to lose weight.

We need to invent a lose weight pill and make a lot of money.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
On the TV, the reporter were asking women their New Year’s resolution.

They all said they want to lose weight.

We need to invent a lose weight pill and make a lot of money.
@Tigerhawk and I are working on it...

mad-scientists-feat.jpg

Trevp666

Reaction score
I have a prediction for 2022.
FTMB mods will ban the mention of Cromer in any thread other than the 'Cromer' thread, lol :yellowc:

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
I’d like to say things will get better in 2022 but I fear it will be a year of global economic catastrophe. People seem to be forgetting the financial effect of covid which will take years to pay for. Furlough, companies gone to the wall and many more hanging on by the skin of their teeth. There’s the hundreds of thousands spent procuring vaccines and testing kits. Rising interest rates and energy bills could see a lot of people who are now scraping by put into desperate circumstances. The increasing social unrest will be harnessed by the professional protestors who will use social media to make the lives of the ordinary wage slaves workforce more of a misery than it is now.

Cloudbusting

I still dream of Orgonon
Reaction score
I have a prediction for 2022.
FTMB mods will ban the mention of Cromer in any thread other than the 'Cromer' thread, lol :yellowc:

They keep trying but it's like antibiotic resistant gonorrhoea!

I'd never actually heard of the place until I joined this forum. I can't decide whether I'll be greeted with 'congratulations' or fire and brimstone for that comment. :popc:

Endlessly Amazed

Endlessly, you know, amazed
Reaction score
  1. I will win a lottery (and I guess this means I will buy a lottery ticket).
  2. Medicine will get multiple benefits as unintended consequences from trying different covid preventions and treatments. This will benefit a variety of treatments for different diseases, most based in anti-inflammatory treatments.
  3. The human race IQ and sanity quotient will surge up as antivaxxers die off.
  4. The price of off-track thoroughbred horses in NA will continue to drop as race attendance continues to be poor. (Currently, healthy 5 year olds are between $2500-$4000.)
  5. Consumer goods commerce will continue to morph as online purchases and remote delivery becomes the preferred way to buy stuff, especially with the retired and elderly.
  6. Rhinos will die off, except for the crypto rhinos hiding in African swamps.
  7. The thylacine protection league will come forward with incontrovertible evidence that the tigers are alive, well, with low COI in Tasmania, New Guinea, Australia, New Zealand, and Bolivia, thanks to secret efforts to introduce breeding stock in those countries.
  8. Consumer cultures will take a longer look at consequences.
  9. Michael Shermer comes out of the believer closet and announces his dead grandmother has contacted him in a dream and he now accepts life after death, paranormal communication, and that cucumbers actually have food value.

There may be more after my next cup of clairvoyant coffee.