• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Premonitions Of Death

Did you know... that Lennon was warned that he would die (possibly by murder, I can't remember) on an island, leading him and Yoko to panic and cancel an upcoming Greek island holiday? He was eventually shot on Manhattan Island.

This could also be posted in the 'Irony' thread, but fits snugly right here. Here are 3 of the Beatles in Central Park, NYC in 1964. 16 Years later John Lennon would be shot outside of his apartment building, The Dakota - the lower, darker building to the left of Paul's head in this photo.
dakota.jpg

This could also be posted in the 'Irony' thread, but fits snugly right here. Here are 3 of the Beatles in Central Park, NYC in 1964. 16 Years later John Lennon would be shot outside of his apartment building, The Dakota - the lower, darker building to the left of Paul's head in this photo.

Now.. that is real premonition.. or coincidence... an ultimate coincidence...

Imagine being photoed in the proximity of the place where you will die? what would be your choice coming out from your family albums?

Mine would be an unnamed pub in Krakow, Poland, surrounded by my drunken buddies and their missuses, many of them no longer living now.... I would die today to be with them again

This morning a colleague got a text telling her of her aunt's death. She said that in her culture (she's filipino) they believe in signs and omens and that it explained something that had happened earlier in the morning: on entering the office, a black butterfly had flown past her (inside). Later she realised it was the spirit of her aunt.
Since posting this I've encountered a lot of black butterflies but my relatives have come to harm. So I suspect it's a confirmation bias: you don't notice the 'omens' until something happens.

This morning a very large moth was in my house, noisily bashing at the ceiling. It was the size of a hummingbird but the colour of a sparrow. I posted about it on Facebook and a Chinese friend very reassuring told me that these are considered to be harbingers of a death in the family in Chinese culture. I haven't had any bad news, thank God.

IMG_20200316_071949_387.jpg

In my house moths are just a sign that you've left the lights on and the windows open.

I wonder if there's a kind of reverse myth, that you could 'invite' death by encouraging moths? So, if you wanted to 'see off' someone, you'd go to their house and put a lamp on and crack a window...

Saturday morning I woke from a dream in which my ( deceased) mum was told on the phone by her ( deceased) brother in law that her ( living) sister/my aunt, Nancy was dead.

To the best of my knowledge she's not.

It bothered me enough - especially given the current crisis - that pondering whether to visit her before there's any further lockdown has been on my mind, and whether it's wise or foolish to do so. But more than that at 12:32 on Saturday I told one of my brothers via WhatsApp about the dream, which I had noted at 5:17 am. He in turn sent me a screen capture of his conversation with some psychic minded friends of his sent at 6:59am the same morning, in which he reported a couple of random words he had just woken up with in his head. One of those words was Nancy's surname....

This morning a very large moth was in my house, noisily bashing at the ceiling. It was the size of a hummingbird but the colour of a sparrow. I posted about it on Facebook and a Chinese friend very reassuring told me that these are considered to be harbingers of a death in the family in Chinese culture. I haven't had any bad news, thank God.

View attachment 24144

That evening the moth had migrated to my bedroom and was sitting ominously on the curtain next to my bed, not moving even as I took close up photos. I went to sleep with it there and was awoken in the morning by it fluttering over my face - it's sufficiently big that I could feel the air displaced by its wings. Very Gothic, and if it's an omen it's really trying to hammer its point home.

Later that day I did get bad news about a family member, but of illness, not death.

That evening the moth had migrated to my bedroom and was sitting ominously on the curtain next to my bed, not moving even as I took close up photos. I went to sleep with it there and was awoken in the morning by it fluttering over my face - it's sufficiently big that I could feel the air displaced by its wings. Very Gothic, and if it's an omen it's really trying to hammer its point home.

Later that day I did get bad news about a family member, but of illness, not death.
That's very spooky. I hope your family member recovers swiftly.

FFS Moths are big, flappy, things that for their own mysterious reasons only come out at night and piss us off.

Let's not give them any more ammunition. They eat our clothes and are annoying - but are essentially harmless.

I just tell them to fuck off - it usually works.

Last edited:
View attachment 23826
Just goes to prove making it in America is not the be and end all as loads of bands have split up from the long travelling gruelling tours of the states with a lot not interested and I think that might of broke The Specials and even The Police but then again I be pissed off If I was a Yank for losing Glen Miller, Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochran.....wish more Rap artist die.

Caught up with Clive James' Postcard from Bombay tonight, and he went to get his fortune told by a street seer. This bloke read his palm, cast a few shells, and told him he would die of a heart attack in 1996. Clive died of cancer in 2019.

That evening the moth had migrated to my bedroom and was sitting ominously on the curtain next to my bed
Is it warm enough to let it go outside, or would it freeze? Maybe it's saying, "let me out of here!"

I once had my fortune told by a lady in a laundrette (long story, very boring).

She told me I would have two children, a boy and a girl.

I did have a boy and a girl! I then went on to have another girl, another boy and then another girl. So was this a partial fortune...? Or did I get someone else's share by mistake?

For four consecutive years I had a Red Admiral butterfly hibernating during the winter on an indoor plant at mine. Couldn't have been the same one obviously. One seemed to have a bit of a death wish, trying to drown itself in the sink several times. I kept rescuing it and putting it back on the plant and it survived. Strange that it was always the same type of butterfly and that it never occurred again. My house is on a main road and I always kept the back door open during the day when the weather was warm. Lost count of the number of cats, dogs, hedgehogs, foxes, a peacock, birds, and other things that sought refuge in the house. Sometimes had the devil of a job shooing them into the back garden when it was time to lock up.
Whether any of these creatures were harbingers, I don't know - too much happened to me in that house for me to tie appearances with events.

Caught up with Clive James' Postcard from Bombay tonight, and he went to get his fortune told by a street seer. This bloke read his palm, cast a few shells, and told him he would die of a heart attack in 1996. Clive died of cancer in 2019.

In one of his volumes of autobiography John Mortimer referenced a friend whose spiritual guide terrified the friend by saying 'I can't see anything after next Thursday!' The friend spent days of abject terror until the appointed day, when the spiritual guide was run over by a bus.

I probably would if I knew the symptoms and how to differentiate them from the flu :)
The thing to know about covid-19 presently is that you first lose your sense of smell (it's called anosmia). This is the best method of early detection presently known about. My advice? Take something you know has a strong smell, and if it doesn't smell strongly, get tested, as you likely have the early stages of covid-19. If you have access to a bath that can get you to 50 Celsius/122 Farenheit, you can likely cook the virus out of your body, at the risk of cooking yourself a bit too. I also advise a chicken jou and caramelized onions in butter as a base, then add seasonal vegetables. (jk)

Take something you know has a strong smell, and if it doesn't smell strongly, get tested, as you likely have the early stages of covid-19.

I was given some nice brown bread* yesterday and have been eating it with cheese and strong onions. Lovely. Looks like it's just a cold!

*There's a portent for you

Back