• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Premonitions Of Personal Very Unlikely, Weird Stuff That Came True

Endlessly Amazed

Endlessly, you know, amazed
I don’t know the best place for this; mods please move if you wish.

Over the course of my life, I have had odd, instant convictions of something that would happen to me. I have only had five of these. These convictions were of both bad and good occurrences. These premonitions were out of the blue, mostly. I didn’t have to think about them or mentally elaborate on the theme. The fears of these specific events were not pre-existing as vague uneasiness which then developed into more specific fears. I think they are not symptoms of a generalized neurotic fear of the unknown because they were so specific, and so few in number. By contrast, I do not have specific fears of other unlikely events, and I have not, so far, had any specific fears which did not later come true.

Here they are, presented as my age when I had the premonition and my age when it occurred.

Age 7-8?: I would get a Ph.D. I heard my aunts and a cousin talking about someone who had a “P.H.D.” They did not know what this was or if it was a good thing. I was instantly convinced that I would have one – and I didn’t even know what it was! Age it happened to me: 48. It was an extremely unlikely achievement, considering my background. Many of my relatives never finished high school (I think this is secondary school for you UK folks). I have knuckle-dragging cousins, and family members who have been in prison and mental institutions.

Age 10: I would start and run my own company. At the time I had this conviction, I wasn’t even sure what it meant. I had never met anyone who owned his own company. I was raised by people who thought girls were to be quiet, pleasant, and obedient to men, and the women were to be this way, too. Age it happened to me: 45. My consulting career started a few years before this, but I was 45 when I incorporated a full “C” corporation and really ran with it. I ran the company until my financial goals were realized and, more importantly, it was no longer fun.

Age 11?: I would get cancer. I was listening to a conversation between two of my aunts, who were discussing a neighbor lady who was dying of cancer. My aunts viewed this as an “unclean”, shameful catastrophe. I never viewed cancer this way, but was sure I would get it, and it would come back to me several times. Age it happened to me: first at age 25, and most recently age 56. I have had two different types, both potentially life-ending and both had spread to other organs or areas before being detected. I may die of it, but oddly I don’t much care now. Terror to boredom.

Age 13: I would fall in love and plan to marry someone, and this person would be killed (not die of a disease) before the wedding. I had this utter conviction when I overheard a conversation about a young woman whose fiancée had died just before the wedding. Age it happened to me: 23. This came true for me when my fiancée was in a very unlikely accident and died within minutes. This was not a car accident. When I realized that I was falling in love with this person, I remembered the premonition from all those years ago, and wondered if I should end the relationship to save his life. Batshit crazy logic, but…it happened! (Also, a month before his death, I had a clear waking vision specifically warning me of what was going to happen; and then, the exact day and time of his death, I knew and experienced what was happening to him 60 miles away.) This one almost destroyed me, and permanently altered me.

Age 25: I would experience serious brain damage, to an extent of disrupting my life and severely limiting my ability to create oil paintings. This instant conviction happened when I was introduced to a new student in an art class. He was recovering from a several months-long coma, and had brain damage. He showed us what his ability was before the car accident, and he was both skilled and talented. He was to never regain his skills. Age it happened to me: 65, when I was very ill with Covid. Almost two years later, I have not regained my mental sharpness of thought nor my memory. The decades I spent promising myself I would devote myself to visual art making when I retired! I will still work at this, but I must be OK emotionally with the very real possibility that my art making is over. Grrr.

So what do I make of all this weirdness? I am glad to have had very early premonitions of serious life goals and challenges. It makes a pattern for me, perhaps only retrospectively. My inner life goals have always been to decide for myself, take charge of my life, take whatever happens and not be destroyed by it. I have found all these goals very very difficult to achieve. I only really achieved them in middle-age. The other goal – to make the world a better place – is an outer-directed goal and has been comparatively easy.

This pattern of challenges and goals seem to fit the life plan discussed by reincarnationists. I am inclined in that direction, but can offer no actual proof, only these few, odd, and specific premonitions which all came true. Of note is that these five premonitions started when I was a child and ended when I was 25. This plan of upcoming events was set decades in advance, perhaps before my birth.

Of course, comments welcome. If you have read this long essay, thanks :)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that, EA. It's a really interesting subject. I read the whole essay. I don't know what to make of your experiences. I wish I could shed some light on it. I have never had anything like those things happen to me, but I have had a few small, inconsequential premonition-like experiences, that I feel were 'something strange' - but I'm sure anyone of a sceptical stripe would explain my seeming premonitions as some form of 'gut feeling/instinct/intuition'. I'm not sceptical myself, and no way am I suggesting that what you've experienced is not a real thing. Hopefully others will be able to offer their takes on it. I look forward to reading the discussion.

That's an extraordinary set of premonitions.

Not easy to deal with either.

I have had "hunches" about things in my own life, bad feelings about things and people I was involved with, but nothing so clear and focussed on actual events and results like this regarding my own future.

One thing I can write is that I have heard of a man whom many in my community suspected knew he would die soon.

One night he sat up all night, writing checks for different charities.

The next day he had a heart attack and died.

Last edited:
That's amazing. To have such thoughts with such conviction and they came true.

I wonder though if the potency behind the convictions created the actual circumstances themselves?

Reincarnation is an interesting idea as well. Have we all come this way before? To say that life comes from no where and then vanished to no where is to me a bit daft. It's like saying life etc, it's all random. There's nothing random about anything. If it was, nothing would ever get done, the fertilised egg in the womb wouldn't divide and grow, and the seasons wouldn't happen and the earth wouldn't turn because the universe would all be random. Everything follows unseen rules.

If a person gets struck by lightning is not 'bad luck'. The person chose to walk to that place and the lightning acted according to the laws of physics. The question for me is who controls the laws of physics and why did that person walk to that place?

Interesting post by the OP and thanks Endlessly Amazed for posting it.

That's an extraordinary set of premonitions.

Not easy to deal with either.

I have had "hunches" about things in my own life, bad feelings about things and people I was involved with, but nothing so clear and focussed on actual events and results like this regarding my own future.

One thing I can write is that I have heard of a man who many in my community suspected knew he would die soon.

One night he sat up all night, writing checks for different charities.

The next day he had a heart attack and died.
Yes. This is exactly what I mean. I told my fiancee of my fears, we argued about it, and he apparently did not accept my premonitions, but after his death, we found the paperwork he organized in case he died. He did this two weeks before he died, and after our last argument on the subject.

To write checks for charity before dying is to go out in a blaze of Glory!

I wonder though if the potency behind the convictions created the actual circumstances themselves?
That was the thought that I had as well, although that doesn't account for why she picked up on those particular specific signals in the first place.

Hello @Endlessly Amazed

Yes an idea can be planted in your subconscious so that it will quietly work away in the background until you eventually realise a goal. But that only works for the things you have control over like the PhD and the Company. Not so much for the bad luck events that happened both to yourself and your fiancee. I was so sorry to read about that, what a dreadful time for you and made so much worse for having foreseen it. <hug>

The instant specific 'knowing' out of the blue is what makes it all so interesting. Going by things that have happened in my own life It feels like there are invisible threads of connection that most of the time we are unaware of but every now and again, like a spiders web briefly catching the sun as it blows in the breeze, and it's 'ah so that's what's there' but then as soon as you go looking to examine it more closely it can't be found.

I've had a few premonition dreams that I've woken up from with the knowing 'that wasn't MY dream' it was as if they'd come from elsewhere although in every other respect they were no different form ordinary dreams. I took the precaution of telling them to my then partner so I had verification of the pertinent parts when the news stories broke a few days later. It's only happened rarely and I certainly wouldn't offer them up as proof of anything to anyone else. For me however it was that 'knowing' I don't expect anyone else to accept, after all it's something sceptics could accuse me of adding after the event, that keeps forteana alive for me. It's also what makes me take your experiences at face value

Thankyou for taking the time to write it all out I found it really interesting and I'm hoping you will be able to find some other way of expressing yourself artistically even if it can't be the oil painting.

Sollywos x

Well E A,

That is a lot to digest.

What kind of childhood did you have ?

The reason I ask is for example the actor, Dan Aykroyd ( Ghostbusters) comes from a long line of confirmed Spiritualist that studied every possible paranormal known and even to have his great, grandfather working with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Were you into the paranormal when you were young ?

@Kasavaross wrote: “I wonder though if the potency behind the convictions created the actual circumstances themselves?” Yes, you ask a pertinent question. It is one I have thought about for 50 years. My conclusion is that, for my experiences, this is not the case. I cannot provide any persuasive evidence to another person. However, the unique sensation, cognitively, emotionally, kinesthetically, which came with the premonitions made them a singular category of experience. As @Sollywos pointed out, I could not have subconsciously worked to make some of these experiences happen.

@charliebrown – you asked about childhood beliefs and paranormal interests. I had a conventional Roman Catholic belief system as a child. Nobody I knew, as far as I was aware, had any interest or involvement in the paranormal. Perhaps the exception was my mother who was only interested in fortune tellers who could tell her how she could obtain happiness and wealth. It never worked out and she spent much money on this nonsense. I decided that fortune telling is a scam. As a teenager, I read some popular books on ghosts but thought it was not true.

So, my interest in the paranormal was generated by a few odd, personal, incontrovertible experiences, and not the other way around. My serious, formal interest only arose after I was an adult and decided I would find out what was happening to me, after a few decades of mentally filing away that this weirdness was really happening but not doing anything about it. I was about 35 years old when I decided I must decide what this stuff meant and what I should do about it.

For me, the weirdness (of parapsychology? Impossible to determine the correct label) is mainly concerned with my inner life and the connections with other people. This leads to the organizing structure of reality; @Sollywos described this linkage very well.

Back