• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Preposterous Imposters (Identity Thieves; Fraudsters; Etc.)

Odd this should get bumped as this story cropped up:

Captain Sir Alan KBE - call-centre worker

· Fake war hero fools charity with tales of grandeur
· Army, palace and MoD deny far-fetched claims

Gerard Seenan
Wednesday April 12, 2006
The Guardian

When Alan McIlwraith told charity workers he was an ennobled and decorated war hero, they were more than happy to invite him to their awards ceremony.

If, that night, the former servicemen's uniform looked a little too big and his medals a bit askew, no one thought it proper to comment. After all, Captain Sir Alan McIlwraith, KBE DSO MC, said he had seen active service in Afghanistan, Sierra Leone, Kosovo and Northern Ireland. Indeed, his entry in the online encyclopaedia Wikipedia made his international standing clear.

"Capt McIlwraith is known throughout the military world as a man that can get things done and is thought of as a hero that the UN and Nato can look to in times of trouble," it read.

Except that when Mr McIlwraith was not sipping champagne at charity galas, he had a more mundane occupation - as a call centre worker. Even at work, Mr McIlwraith kept up the pretence: his nametag read Sir Alan. Yet the closest he had been to active service was getting the drinks from the coffee machine.

Yesterday, the army was among a number of institutions lining up to say it had never heard of the Walter Mitty character who had, in full although ill-fitting military regalia, managed to con his way on to the pages of No 1 magazine (where he was pictured with partner, "Lady Shona").

"We couldn't quite believe that someone would be that stupid. He has never been a soldier or officer," an army spokesman said. "He's never even been in the TA, he's never even been in the army cadets. It doesn't sound like he's the full shilling."

Mr McIlwraith duped the National Children's Homes charity into inviting him to their recent Women of Influence Awards in Glasgow. The charity was under the impression that in addition to his heroic service, which included rescuing a young woman from an angry mob while unarmed, he had acted as an adviser to former Nato commander Wesley Clark.

Colleagues were also regaled with details of Mr McIlwraith's colourful, if fabricated, career. Last month, on the day of the merger of Scottish regiments, Mr McIlwraith arrived a little late wearing a long coat and army boots. His tardiness, he said, was due to a meeting at Edinburgh castle to mark the event. All officers had been given a box of chocolates - and he proudly showed off his Quality Street.

Yet Sandhurst has no record of the man who claimed to finish top in his year; Buckingham Palace said yesterday it had no record of his being knighted; and the Ministry of Defence's army gallantry section said no Alan McIlwraith had received a Military Cross.

Some of Mr McIlwraith's colleagues were a little suspicious as to why he was answering phones in Glasgow's east end for £16,000 a year, so they checked his story on the internet. He explained his absence from the honours list by saying he did not like the publicity. His Wikipedia entry underlined this modesty. General Sir Mike Jackson, head of the army, was quoted as saying: "Very few photographs of Capt McIlwraith are in circulation as he is camera shy but a splendid soldier."

Yesterday, National Children's Homes said it was "looking into the circumstances" surrounding Mr McIlwraith's invitation to the awards ceremony. His entry has been removed from Wikipedia.

www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,,1751969,00.html

The Wikipedia entry was here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Mcilwraith

See some background on the Talk page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Alan_Mcilwraith

Seems he was rapidly spotted on there and removed. Of course now he is famous for using Wikipedia to fake his background meaning the entry will probably have to go back up.

Pretty much anybody.

Would you question a decorated war hero?

Well, his Wiki entry was rather childish and full of spelling mistakes. Surely that should have set alarm bells ringing?

Trianed Capt Mcilwraith is know throught the military world as a man that can get things done and thought of as a hero that the United Kingdom and NATO can look to in times of trouble.

Baron Corvo, Fr. Rolfe!

Neither a Baron nor a priest. He spent his life imposing on the hospitality of a series of patrons until his eccentricities and temper alienated them. A pretty terrible writer too, though he has his apologists. He did exhibit some talent for invective. This Wikipedia page gives some of the basics but it is a bit dull. A. J. A. Symons's The Quest for Corvo is essential reading, even if it prefers a good yarn to over-much forensic truth-telling.

This page gives something of the background to The Quest for Corvo and the part in its begetting played by the colourful Christopher Millard.

So far as I know, Rolfe never impersonated the Pope, except in his imagination. Hadrian VII is however clearly a semi-autobiographical work which reveals some ambition in that direction. :shock:

Impersonating the pope! Now that sounds kind of fun.

Would you question a decorated war hero?

Already have.

They kept on altering their story, also hesitated when I asked them what their decorations were.

And Im not saying that all war heroes are like my friend who `was` geniune, but very closed mouthed about what he had done.

A. J. A. Symons's The Quest for Corvo is essential reading, even if it prefers a good yarn to over-much forensic truth-telling.

really excellent book. pity he didnt impersonate the pope.

maybe pope benny isnt so bad after all , i read in the New Statesman that after a hard day at the vatican he likes to settle down with his cats and play bach and mozart on the piano. wonder if the cats sing along?

might be easy to impersonate.

Exposed, the 'weekend warrior' who was no hero
By Andrew Thomas, in Raleigh, North Carolina
(Filed: 09/04/2006)

The leafy, serene university campus of the all-women Meredith College seems as far removed from the war zone of Iraq as it is possible to get. Yet for almost three years, one student apparently was a part of these two very different worlds.

Lisa Jane Phillips was not just a prize-winning honours student. She was also a captain and heroic United States Air Force pilot. In her honour, the college waived $42,178 (£24,000) of tuition fees and invited her into tutorials to talk to other students about "what it's really like over there".

There was a prize for her "interest in solving the problems of humankind" and "attitude to life that demonstrates the virtues of courage and self-giving". The young woman shone out as the very definition of the best an American woman could be.

Except that she wasn't. In fact, "Captain" Phillips's tales of derring-do were an elaborate fraud. Far from being an American hero, she was a military fake, one of a growing band in America who stand accused of dishonouring the sacrifice of genuine veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan.

It was Frank Strickland, Meredith's on-campus police chief, who, after almost three years of watching her soak up the acclaim, began to smell a rat.

As a veteran of Vietnam, he found Phillips's stories of flying weekend sorties to Iraq - out to the Middle East after class on Thursday, back in time for tutorials on Monday - were a little far-fetched.

Neither did the tale of being wounded by enemy fire in Afghanistan quite ring true.

When Mr Strickland noticed that one of the many medals on Phillips's chest was awarded to those who had seen action in the Second World War, suspicion tipped into incredulity. The student, while a little older than most of her classmates, was 34.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation was called in and, under questioning, Phillips admitted that she had never served a day in the US armed forces.

More than four years after the "war on terror" began, America is having to deal with a group that many consider more contemptible than fifth columnists: the fake war heroes who, whether through inadequacy or avarice, seek the kudos and benefits afforded to those who have seen action.

The problem has become so acute that an FBI unit has been tasked with studying the phenomenon and tracking down the culprits. In Washington, a law that will widen the scope of military impersonation offences and toughen up sentences is working its way through Congress.

Thomas Cottone, the agent who heads the FBI unit, learns of at least one new case a week. He has no truck with those who argue that military impersonation is a victimless crime. "The imposters are literally stealing the valour of genuine soldiers," he said.

"Every time someone sees a uniform they trust in it. If the person wearing that uniform is a fraud, they've helped to undermine its prestige."

At the funeral of a US Marines lieutenant killed in a gun battle in Iraq two years ago, Mr Cottone found himself standing next to a marine captain festooned with medals and ribbons. They included two Silver Stars for gallantry, the Navy Cross for extraordinary heroism against an enemy and three Purple Hearts awarded for wounds sustained in action.

Noting that the "captain" failed to snap to attention for the Marine Corps hymn, the FBI man took the marine, Walter Carlson, aside and asked if he minded talking about his military service.

He jumped at the opportunity. "That was the final straw," said Agent Cottone. "In my experience people in combat don't want to talk about it. Most imposters want to talk about it. It's like an addiction, like heroin to a junkie."

Carlson was arrested and faces six months in jail and a $500 fine. A judge also ordered that the 58-year-old bus driver surrender all his military paraphernalia.

Until now, the scope of what constitutes military impersonation and the penalties that can be imposed have both been limited.

Phillips was convicted last year of obtaining money fraudulently and lying to federal agents.

If the "Stolen Valour Act" passes from Congress into law, there will doubtless be many more prosecutions and stiffer penalties.

"Shame on those who claim credit for acts of courage they did not commit," said Congressman John Salazar of Colorado, when introducing the bill. "Their lies are criminal. By letting the phonies continue their masquerade, we diminish the honour of our true heroes."

Phillips, from Apex, North Carolina, is the only woman to have been convicted of offences connected with military impersonation. "We have more and more women in combat zones and women have every chance of being hurt, too," said Mr Cottone.

"Unfortunately, just as combat experience is no longer a male preserve, nor is the temptation to fake it."

source

Incidentally, I read a story a little while ago about a bogus "motivational speaker" who was doing the rounds claiming to have escaped from the burning Twin Towers, but I can't find it again. Does it ring any bells?

As a veteran of Vietnam, he found Phillips's stories of flying weekend sorties to Iraq - out to the Middle East after class on Thursday, back in time for tutorials on Monday - were a little far-fetched.

Been watching too many cartoons, methinks.

FBI: Medal of Honor fakers outnumber true heroes

Sunday, April 30, 2006; Posted: 5:27 p.m. EDT (21:27 GMT)

CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee (AP) -- A proliferation of phony heroes is prompting such groups as The Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation to lobby for tougher laws to punish the impostors.

The organization reports that there are 113 living recipients of the nation's highest military award, but an FBI agent who tracks the fakes said impostors outnumber the true heroes.

"There are more and more of these impostors, and they are literally stealing the valor and acts of valor of the real guys," said Agent Tom Cottone, who also works on an FBI violent crime squad in West Paterson, New Jersesy.

Some fakers merely brag about receiving the award -- and that's not illegal -- but some impostors wear military uniforms and bogus medals. The FBI has about 25 pending investigations of such phony heroes, said Cottone.

Anyone convicted of fraudulently wearing the Medal of Honor faces up to a year in prison and a $100,000 fine. But there's no such penalty for other medals.

The Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation and other veterans groups are looking to change that. They've enlisted the help of U.S. Rep. John T. Salazar, D-Colorado, who is sponsoring the Stolen Valor Act to penalize distributors of phony medals and those who pretend to be decorated veterans.

Salazar's legislation would make it illegal to make a false public claim to be a recipient of any military valor award, such as the Medal of Honor, a Silver Star or Purple Heart.

"It is about more than punishing people," said Salazar. "It's about preserving the history and honor of those medals."

World War II Medal of Honor recipient Charles Coolidge of Signal Mountain, Tennessee, got flimflammed out of his medal -- at a military reunion of all places -- when someone offered to help recondition it and gave him back a fake version of the award.

Cottone tracked down Coolidge's real Medal of Honor from a man who was selling and trading medals in Ohio.

"It was a big surprise to me to get it back," said Coolidge, 84.

Coolidge received the Medal of Honor for leading an outnumbered section of heavy machine guns during four days of fighting against German infantry and tanks in France in 1944.

Cottone said he recovered two fake Medals of Honor at a New Jersey gun show. Both were made by HLI Lordship Industries Inc., a former government contractor for the Medal of Honor.

The company, based in Hauppauge, New York, was fined $80,000 in 1996 and placed on probation after admitting 300 fakes were sold in the early 1990s for $75 each.

"If we don't maintain the integrity of these military awards, the real ones won't mean anything," Cottone said.

-----------
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.

www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/30/medal.of.honor.ap/index.html

The latest news in respect of the fake "Lord" Buckingham, from yesterdays Daily Telegraph:-

Bogus lord who stole baby's identity is former US seaman.

A bogus lord who stole the identity of a dead baby has been identified as a missing US seaman.

The father of the man who calls himself Christopher Buckingham said that he was "100 per cent positive" that he is the son he last saw in Florida in 1983.

Detectives in Kent, where the man is being held by the Immigration Service, are awaiting DNA evidence before confirming his name.

Buckingham has refused to reveal his true identity since being arrested for travelling across the Channel on a false passport last year.

He was sentenced to 22 months in prison - reduced to nine months on appeal - for using the method described in the book The Day of the Jackal to steal the identity of the real Christopher Buckingham, who died in 1963 aged eight months.

Buckingham was carrying headed notepaper bearing the Duke of Buckingham's coat of arms, last used in the 17th century, when he was arrested in Dover.

He has now been identified by Barbara and Charles Stopford, from Orlando, Florida, as their son Charles.

"I've seen the photos and I know it is him," Mr Stopford told Sky One for its programme The Real Jackal, which is broadcast tomorrow.

"I am 100 per cent positive. Charles always had an obsession with the English.

"My first feeling on seeing the pictures was relief that he was alive. I knew he travelled a lot and I always feared the worst. Then I felt confused - what is all this about?

"On the one hand I hope he comes back to the United States. On the other hand I want him to be happy and live his life as he wants. I do want to see him."

Jody Doe, Buckingham's ex-wife, who was married to him for 13 years without knowing his true identity, said his deceit was "an incredibly cruel act to comprehend".

The couple met in Germany and married before having two children. They divorced in 1997. He was working as an IT consultant in Switzerland when he was arrested.

Charles Stopford disappeared at the age of 21 in 1983, the same year that Buckingham adopted the dead baby's identity.

His family said they still did not know why the former US Navy intelligence unit serviceman suddenly vanished.

It also emerged that Buckingham was convicted of possessing explosives in 1983. He was placed on probation but was imprisoned for 60 days when he breached the terms of his licence.

Source:- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ogus06.xml

From today's Independent Online edition
The mystery of 'Rooney's uncle' and his moment of fame
By Matthew Beard in Karlsruhe
Published: 30 June 2006
For German media eager to complement their World Cup coverage with a quirky tale of human interest, it was an open goal. It turned out that an expatriate British academic living in the northern city of Bremen was the uncle of none other than England's star striker Wayne Rooney.
Not only that, but Martin Rooney, 57, spoke fluent German and was more than happy to co-operate with journalists, posing for pictures in an England shirt with his famous surname on the back. His "15 minutes of fame" came on Tuesday night when the public broadcaster ARD, the equivalent of BBC1, broadcast a prime-time feature of Mr Rooney watching his nephew in action against Ecuador from the comfort of his sofa.
There was, however, a complication that had clearly not occurred to some of Germany's numerous media organisations, including Der Spiegel magazine, Radio Bremen, Hamburger Morgenpost and local newspapers, Weser Kurier and the Bremer Kurier. If he was as he claimed Wayne's uncle from the side of his mother, Jeanette, he should have the surname Morrey.
Intrigued by ARD's exclusive, journalists quizzed the player at a press conference the next day and were answered simply by a raise of the eyebrows.
Wayne's grandmother, Pat Morrey, 75 , said yesterday: "I haven't heard of him. I think I'd know if he was one of the family. I don't know anyone by that name. I've never heard of him and I doubt any of the family has. I don't know why this man would say such a thing."
Whether Mr Rooney has any connection to the player's family remains unclear as he was unavailable yesterday, having been called away because a friend had an accident.
Mr Rooney describes himself as a freelance author and interpreter. He says he moved from Manchester to Germany in 1973, apparently completing a PhD at the University of Bremen, after learning German by reading the works of Heinrich Heine and Gotthold Lessing and the German football magazine Kicker.
It is thought that he married a German but is separated and now lives alone in a terraced house in the Rheinstrasse in Bremen. He has given interviews to the German media dating back to 1996 about being at the 1966 World Cup final at Wembley between England and West Germany. He even claims he was inspired to live in Bremen as it was the home town of Bert Trautmann, a German goalkeeper who played for Manchester City. Mr Rooney has spoken fondly of his supposed nephew, but said that he had not seen him for several years because illness forced him to miss two recent family get-togethers.
Before the tournament the Weser Kurier ran an interview entitled "World Cup Fever," in which he said: "I am really looking forward to England's participation in the World Cup, especially as I am the uncle of one of England's strikers, Wayne Rooney.
"He is a fantastic footballer. I always told him that he could be one of the greats if he could keep injury-free." Asked how he reacted to news of Wayne Rooney's broken metatarsal, he said: "I thought, it's happened again. Oh shit!"
In another interview he said he had not seen Wayne since he was a child but was touched when the player left messages on his answering machine at home wishing him a speedy recovery from his illness.
He said that, as a child, Wayne was "always larking around and wasn't the most sensible person but on the other hand he was very strong-willed. He has a temperament from his Irish ancestors."
Yesterday, the reporter who interviewed Mr Rooney seemed impervious to any schadenfreude from his British counterparts. "He sounded plausible and had the Rooney name," he said.

I just have to admire the laziness of the German Media, they meet a man who speaks German, and is called Rooney, and who claims to be the Uncle of someone in the public eye, and they put him on TV just like that.

Renews my faith in human nature, strangely enough.

Secret Service Operative Moonlights as Identity Thief
Kim Zetter 06.06.07 | 2:00 AM

This photo of Brett Shannon Johnson appeared on the Secret Service’s most-wanted fugitives site. Brett Shannon Johnson is a credit-card and identity thief. In five years of crime, the 37-year-old estimates he's stolen about $2 million -- some of it while working as a paid informant for the U.S. Secret Service.

Johnson, a well-known figure in the online carding community who went by the nickname Gollumfun, worked undercover for 10 months in the agency's Columbia, South Carolina, office helping catch other card thieves. Then last year agents discovered his two-timing, and he went on the lam.

"It was $350 a week (from the Secret Service) vs. $5,000 or $6,000 a week" from his fraudulent tax-refund scam, Johnson told Wired News by phone, prior to his sentencing on charges of aggravated identity theft and other crimes. A federal judge last week ordered him to serve six years and three months in prison, and to pay more than $300,000 in restitution.

The case sheds light on some of the risks and ethical trade-offs involved in using criminals as informants.

While working for the agency, Johnson purchased several computers using stolen credit-card numbers and filed more than a hundred fraudulent tax returns in other names. He says he got the numbers and names while working on a laptop in the Secret Service office. Although everything he did on the computer was recorded with screenshots and a keylogger, he says agents were often distracted by other things and only reviewed portions of the audit trail he advised them to review.

Secret Service agents acknowledge that Johnson committed unauthorized crimes during the period he worked undercover for them, but claim he didn't commit them from the government office.

"There were two agents with him at all times, and we had a 42-inch plasma (monitor) that projected everything he did on it," says Neal Dolan, special agent in charge of the agency's South Carolina division. "You'd have to have been asleep not to have seen what he was doing (if he were committing crimes) -- and they weren't."

Dolan acknowledges, however, that outside the office Johnson was on his own.

"This wasn't a mafia case where we were going to sit on this guy 24 hours a day," Dolan says. "He was told we'd make spot checks on him. But he's an adult. I told him, if you want to go back to jail then you know what path (to take), and that's the path he took."

The use of confidential informants is a mainstay of law-enforcement investigations. But statistics are unavailable on the number of criminals used as informants or how often they commit unauthorized crimes while working for agencies. In 2005, the FBI was criticized in a Department of Justice inspector general's report for failing to follow procedures with its informants.

"There are costs to using these kinds of people and it's often a very dirty business," says David Harris, professor of law and values at the University of Toledo College of Law, who adds that there's a paucity of data on informants because it's not in the government's interest to tell the public who it uses as informants or how it uses them.

The Department of Justice publishes nonbinding guidelines that discuss the necessity of monitoring informants and assessing a criminal's suitability to be one, but they don't provide standards for doing so.

Johnson's case began when he was arrested in February 2005 for buying counterfeit Bank of America cashier's checks, which he planned to use to purchase items on eBay for resale.

He was already known to the Secret Service. Johnson had been a top administrator on a crime-facilitating web forum called Shadowcrew, and he eluded capture when the Secret Service shuttered the site in 2004 with a dozen arrests of forum members and administrators. But when agents caught him in 2005, they didn't hold a grudge: They asked him to help them infiltrate other online carding forums in exchange for a reduced sentence.

About three months later, Johnson was out on bond and working for the agency. He shared an agency-supplied Columbia apartment with his fiancé and received a $50 per diem in cash, working four to six hours a day, six days a week from the Secret Service office. His job was monitoring the crime sites from the inside, and he quickly became an administrator at two of them: ScandinavianCarding and CardersMarket.

Agents seemed pleased with his knowledge and skills, and they dubbed the investigation Operation Anglerphish. Two weeks into his new role, however, Johnson started working his own angle. He was generally in the office from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m., but by 5:30 p.m. the rest of the agency staff had left, leaving only his handlers behind. After 8 p.m., he says, the agents would get bored and focus on other things, and that's when he'd collect data for his tax-refund crimes.

http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/ ... et_service

Last edited by a moderator:
US veteran's D-Day lies exposed

An American veteran who said he parachuted into Normandy as part of the D-Day landings in June 1944 has been exposed as a liar.

Howard Manoian, 84, had been awarded the prestigious French award the Legion d'honneur for bravery.

He claimed he had landed in Sainte-Mere-Eglise in France - the setting of a fierce battle immortalised in the John Wayne film The Longest Day.

But his military records reveal he spent the war behind the front line.

Mr Manoian was a local war hero in Sainte-Mere-Eglise, with a plaque erected in his honour.

He said he had served with the famous 82nd Airborne Division, and would tell vivid tales of his parachute mission.

"Even in the aeroplane I was wondering what it was going to be like. They are going to start firing at us when we get near the land," he said.

"One planeload jumped and landed in the square by the church and of course the Germans were already up and they were firing as they came down... Half of them were killed and wounded immediately. That was the first time I saw a person dead face to face."

In fact Mr Manoian served with the 33rd Chemical Decontamination Company, which operated well behind the front line.

He spent most of the war looking after a supply dump in northern France after arriving on Utah beach by supply ship.

Mr Manoian claimed he had been hit by German machine gun bullets in the left hand and both legs during a fire fight on 17 June 1944, and then again by a Nazi plane that targeted the hospital where he was recovering.

In fact his only war injuries were a broken middle finger while on standby in England and then heavy bruising to another hand.

The lies came to light when military records were obtained by the Boston Herald.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8139909.stm

Teacher who claimed she was pregnant with 12 babies is exposed as a fraud
By Peter Allen
Last updated at 11:12 AM on 19th August 2009

The woman, known only as AF, had claimed to be pregnant with 12 babies - but may not be pregnant at all
A woman who claimed she was on the verge of having a world record-breaking 12 babies was in hiding today after being exposed as a fraud.

Known only as AF, the 34-year-old told medics in her home town of Gafsa, Tunisia, that she was due to give birth to duodecaplets later this month.
But an investigation by the country’s Health Ministry has revealed that she has ‘psychological problems and is unlikely even to be pregnant’.
A spokesman in Tunis, the country’s capital, added: ‘Our staff interviewed her at length, but even her pregnancy appears to be in her imagination.

‘She’s claiming to be nine months pregnant with six boys and six girls, but there’s absolute nothing about her appearance which indicates this.
‘The woman has refused point blank to undergo a medical examination. Now we can’t even contact her. She’s gone into hiding.’

A doctor at No’man al Adab Hospital, the only one in the town of Gafsa, confirmed that the woman had never been in their care, and had ‘undoubtedly’ made the whole thing up.
‘It may be that she’s trying to make money from television,’ he said. ‘These kind of people can make thousands from appearing on programmes. Perhaps that’s what motivated her.’

The woman’s husband, a man in his 40s described only as Marwan, is known to have hired a lawyer to deal with media enquiries.

‘Even he’s gone missing now,’ said the doctor. ‘There’s something very suspicious going on, and we wouldn’t be surprised if this matter ended up with the police.’

Experts had always cast doubt on the woman’s claims, with Peter Bowen-Simpkins of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists saying: ‘How could you get 12 babies into the womb at the same time?’
‘The womb just doesn’t expand that much. She would have to be about seven feet tall.’ 8)

The woman, an Arabic language teacher, said she had turned to IVF after suffering two miscarriages.

She had said: ‘This is an absolute miracle and we all feel blessed after struggling so hard to have children.’

Earlier this year Nadya Suleman, an American divorcee, made hundreds of thousands from media deals after giving birth to eight children.

The 33-year-old unemployed single mother has conceived a total of 14 children through in vitro fertilisation, and all are now living on the money made from TV deals

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... z0Ocj4wGKI

EXCLUSIVE A supposed World War Two hero admits he is a liar and a fraud, reports Linton Besser.

Life was hell inside Outram Road Jail, a Singaporean punishment compound during the Second World War. It was ''the worst jail there ever was'', a survivor of the Burma-Thai railway, Cyril Gilbert, told the Herald.

And it is where Gilbert's close friend, Rex Crane, claims to have been incarcerated after he was captured by the Japanese in May 1942. At just 15 years of age, Gilbert and many others believed Crane had been one of Australia's youngest POWs. Crane, who is now 83 and has been on the highest-level service pension since 1988, is the federal president of the Ex-Prisoners of War Association of Australia.

And Arthur Rex Crane is a fraud.

''It looks like the past has caught up, doesn't it?'' he said when the Herald confronted him this week.

For more than 20 years, Crane lived as a man who had survived a horrific wartime ordeal. To his wife and children, to his friends, to the hundreds of members of the association he led, Rex Crane was a hero. But the reality is not one word of his story is true...

POW chief a prisoner of his own lies

German banker used fake documents to work as a surgeon
A German banker used forged medical qualifications to work as a surgeon in a major hospital for 14 months before he was detected.
Published: 7:00AM BST 08 Oct 2009

Christian Eberhard, 30, took part in 190 operations, including amputations, at the University Clinic of Erlangen's surgical department, the Daily Mail reports.

Medical authorities failed to question his medical training, which he claimed had taken place at Oxford University in England.

A court heard how forged a medical degree to move from banking - in which he was a successful securities expert - to medicine.

Mr Eberhard downloaded the forms from the Internet and he wrote himself several glowing references from non-existent doctors.

Lawyers said he was "obsessed" with the idea of becoming a doctor after he worked in a hospital for 10 months in lieu of compulsory national service in the German army.

But his parents would not support him financially for the eight years he would need to study to qualify to practice medicine.

Instead, he spent two years training in surgery techniques at the hospital before he was promoted to an assistant surgical doctor and involved in highly complex procedures including spinal, liver and lung operations.

At his recent re-trial - he was sentenced to three years in November last year but the prosecution appealed and he was given an extra six months - Werner Hohenberger, the director of the hospital, spoke of him as being "diseased - he is a high-grade pathological liar with enormous criminal energies."

He could not say how he had slipped through the screening procedures but said that "hundreds of people have done this in the past and probably will continue to do so."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... rgeon.html

Serial conman posed as top lawyer
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8326273.stm

Paul Bint, left, and Keir Starmer
Bint (l) pretended to be DPP Keir Starmer (r) to attract women

A career conman who posed as a leading government lawyer to attract women has been found guilty of fraud and theft.

Paul Bint, 47, of no fixed address, told women he met through lonely hearts adverts that he was Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer QC.

Prosecutors said he boasted of living in a riverside penthouse, and owning luxury cars including an Aston Martin from the James Bond film Goldeneye.

Bint was convicted of five offences and cleared of 11 at Southwark Crown Court.

During the trial, Bint admitted to impersonating successful professionals over the past 30 years but insisted that on this occasion he had done nothing wrong.

Robing room

He told jurors he was interested to see whether his latest "friendships" could develop into something long-lasting, but his affection had been repaid with lies.

The court heard that when he discovered one of his dates was interested in another man, he scrawled a derogatory word on the side of her home, and blamed it on his rival.

It makes me feel very good that someone thinks I am a good person and I'm successful
Paul Bint

The many faces of a serial conman

Bint, dubbed King Con by the tabloid press, told the court he was abused as a child and said he took on other identities because he cared what others thought of him.

"It makes me feel very good that someone thinks I am a good person and I'm successful," he said.

The jury found Bint guilty of committing two counts of fraud by false representation - for cheating a taxi driver of a £60 fare and using one of his victim's credit cards.

He was also convicted of stealing a bracelet; burgling the robing room at St Alban's Crown Court and stealing a barrister's laptop; and test driving a £59,000 Audi while disqualified.

Jurors cleared him of seven counts of credit card fraud and four of driving while disqualified, one on the judge's direction.

Bint was remanded in custody and is due to be sentenced on 3 November.

'Impossible medals' man claims he can't disclose military past
A man who outraged veterans by marching in a Remembrance Day parade with an ''impossible'' array of medals has said he can't provide evidence of his military past because his work was top secret.
Published: 9:00AM GMT 07 Dec 2009

Roger Day paraded alongside 600 genuine war heroes wearing a beige SAS beret and a dazzling selection of 21 military medals and badges.

Thousands of well-wishers - including the recently bereaved families of servicemen killed in Afghanistan - clapped and cheered as he marched past.

But organisers became suspicious when they noticed he had medals from campaigns including World War One and Two, Korea, the Falklands, awards for both officers and privates and even a foreign medal.

He was confronted by a friend of one of the organisers at the march in Bedworth, Warks., on November 11 and allegedly admitted his fraudulent behaviour before departing swiftly.

Wearing medals fraudulently is a criminal offence.

But when approached at his home in Earl Shilton, Leics., Mr Day claimed he could not talk about his SAS service because of the ''Official Secrets Act.''

He said: ''I can't comment on that, like I can't give you any real relevant details. I'm still tied under a lot of the Official Secrets Act.

''They're all proper, pukka campaign medals. Medals I won in conflicts while I was serving with the British forces.

''All I can say is south Atlantic the Gulf, Kuwait and one or two other stations.''

Jim Nicholson, 67, who organised the march and served as a private in the Parachute Regiment between 1961 and 1967, on Friday condemned Day as ''shameful''.

The grandfather-of-six, who has service medals for Cyprus and Saudi Arabia, said: ''We have had idiots like this try to join in a few times and we tell them to get lost.

''It takes the mick and we get very annoyed that he will turn up wearing medals that genuine servicemen have earned.

''One of my ex-SAS pals challenged him about his decorations, and he admitted he was a Walter Mitty fake.''

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -past.html

'Fake medal marcher' is arrested
A man who paraded alongside army veterans wearing an “impossible” array of medals has been arrested.
Nick Britten
Published: 4:32PM GMT 11 Dec 2009

A man who paraded alongside army veterans wearing an “impossible” array of medals has been arrested.

Roger Day, 61, voluntarily attended a police station in Warwickshire after police put out an appeal for him to get in touch.

He was questioned under suspicion of wearing military medals without authority contrary to the Army Act 1955 and released on bail until next month.

Mr Day sparked anger amongst veterans at an Armistice Day parade in Bedworth, Warwicks, last month when parading alongside 600 veterans wearing a beige SAS beret and a selection of 21 military medals and badges.

Veterans said it would have been impossible for him to have genuinely earned medals stretching from the Korean War in the 1950s to the Falklands Conflict in the 1980s and the liberation of Kuwait in the 1990s.

It emerged yesterday that Mr Day, from Earl Shilton, Leics, served just 14 months in the army before dropping out and had not gone on a tour of duty. Army sources dubbed his claims as “pure fantasy”, saying there was record of him having been awarded a medal or serving a tour of duty.

He had the rank of private despite claiming he was a lieutenant on his membership form to the Hinckley ex-Serviceman’s Club, from which he may now be banned.

A spokesman for Warwickshire police said: “We asked the man to come and see us and a man voluntarily attended a police station. He was arrested immediately.

“He was interviewed and released on police bail to return on January 2nd.”

Mr Day was stopped after the November 11 ceremony and questioned by current Army personnel.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ested.html

rynner2 said:
'Impossible medals' man claims he can't disclose military past
A man who outraged veterans by marching in a Remembrance Day parade with an ''impossible'' array of medals has said he can't provide evidence of his military past because his work was top secret.
Published: 9:00AM GMT 07 Dec 2009

Roger Day paraded alongside 600 genuine war heroes wearing a beige SAS beret and a dazzling selection of 21 military medals and badges.

Thousands of well-wishers - including the recently bereaved families of servicemen killed in Afghanistan - clapped and cheered as he marched past.

But organisers became suspicious when they noticed he had medals from campaigns including World War One and Two, Korea, the Falklands, awards for both officers and privates and even a foreign medal.

He was confronted by a friend of one of the organisers at the march in Bedworth, Warks., on November 11 and allegedly admitted his fraudulent behaviour before departing swiftly.

Wearing medals fraudulently is a criminal offence.

But when approached at his home in Earl Shilton, Leics., Mr Day claimed he could not talk about his SAS service because of the ''Official Secrets Act.''

He said: ''I can't comment on that, like I can't give you any real relevant details. I'm still tied under a lot of the Official Secrets Act.

''They're all proper, pukka campaign medals. Medals I won in conflicts while I was serving with the British forces.

''All I can say is south Atlantic the Gulf, Kuwait and one or two other stations.''

Jim Nicholson, 67, who organised the march and served as a private in the Parachute Regiment between 1961 and 1967, on Friday condemned Day as ''shameful''.

The grandfather-of-six, who has service medals for Cyprus and Saudi Arabia, said: ''We have had idiots like this try to join in a few times and we tell them to get lost.

''It takes the mick and we get very annoyed that he will turn up wearing medals that genuine servicemen have earned.

''One of my ex-SAS pals challenged him about his decorations, and he admitted he was a Walter Mitty fake.''

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -past.html

Rynner ,

I have to a laugh

Yours was the first post i read today on this thread and as soon as I read about this , another coincidence popped into my head i.e. it turns out my sisters benefactors over in Australia are infact ex sas too , but I only knew this about this until yesterday /

So there you go , another one to put in your pipe and smoke.

rynner2 said:
'Fake medal marcher' is arrested
War hero fantasist cleared of deception on legal technicality
Simon de Bruxelles

A fantasist who claimed to be a decorated war veteran has had all charges against him dropped at Nuneaton Magistrates’ Court because of a legal technicality.

Roger Day, 62, was convicted of wearing 17 medals he was not entitled to at a Remembrance Day parade after veterans confronted him.

However, the Army Act 1955 under which he was convicted had been replaced by the Armed Forces Act, 11 days before the offences were committed. :oops:

Mr Day had been sentenced to 60 hours community service and ordered to pay £40 costs after he pleaded guilty last month. However Warwickshire Crown Prosecution Service admitted the error and was ordered to pay £200 legal costs.

A spokesman said: “As soon as this error was discovered, we contacted the court and Mr Day’s defence solicitors.

“Having reviewed the file and re-applied the Code for Crown Prosecutors, a decision was made to discontinue the prosecution.”

Mr Day’s wife Maxine, 38, said: “We are absolutely delighted with the result. My husband said all along that he did nothing illegal.

“Morally he might have lied but in the eyes of the law he is innocent.”

Mr Day added: “I am vindicated. I am now considering taking legal action against all those who muddied my name.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 034300.ece

“Morally he might have lied but in the eyes of the law he is innocent.”

that's not really saying much is it?

i wonder if the timing of the whole thing was less than coincidental

It's saying "Lying is not a crime" which is generally true. Although there are circumstances under which it may be, they changed the law to say that the kind of lying he was doing was no longer a crime.

It doesn't necessarily make him a good person. Just because something is legal, doesn't make it moral. (And, contrariwise, just because something is immoral, doesn't mean it should be illegal.)

Anome_ said:
..they changed the law to say that the kind of lying he was doing was no longer a crime.
No, they'd changed the law he was prosecuted under, and hence the prosecution was invalid.

Possibly if he'd been charged under the new law, he would have been found guilty.

Sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought that since they weren't retrying the case, which they should be able to since the first trial was a mistrial, then the change must have decriminalised his actions.

Anome_ said:
Sorry, my misunderstanding. I thought that since they weren't retrying the case, which they should be able to since the first trial was a mistrial, then the change must have decriminalised his actions.

What? :shock:

Back