• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Preposterous Imposters (Identity Thieves; Fraudsters; Etc.)

Canadian officials see through 'unbelievable' disguise

Canadian officials have detained a young Asian man who apparently boarded a flight from Hong Kong to Vancouver disguised as an elderly white male.

Canadian Border Services said the man wore a silicone mask covering his head and neck in what they called an "unbelievable case of concealment".

Suspicions were raised when an apparently elderly passenger was noticed with young-looking hands.

Later he emerged from a washroom looking like a man in his twenties.

An internal intelligence alert from the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA), obtained by AP news agency, shows before-and-after photos.

The passenger was seen at the start of the flight as an "elderly Caucasian male who appeared to have young-looking hands," the CBSA bulletin said.

"The subject attended the washroom and emerged an Asian looking male that appeared to be in his early twenties."

The document said the man had a bag with a "disguise kit which consisted of a silicone type head and neck mask of an elderly Caucasian male, a brown leather cap, glasses and a thin brown cardigan."

"We can confirm that officials from the CBSA met a passenger arriving off AC018 Hong Kong to Vancouver on October 29 and the matter is still under investigation," Air Canada spokesperson Angela Mah told AFP news agency.

The man is reported to be seeking refugee status in Canada.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11703195

The Telegraph version of the above story clears up a point that had bothered me:
“The subject admitted at this time that he had boarded the flight with the mask on and had removed it several hours later.”

The statement added that the man had swapped boarding passes with a 55-year-old US citizen before getting on the plane, later using a frequent flier card as ID to board the flight.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... e-man.html

How he got past border control I'll never know.
That mask just looks grotesque, it's almost a dead giveaway.

Admittedly, I have seen a few old blokes who looked that odd... but they are quite rare.

'Dead' man who stole brother's identity found in Hawaii

A man who believed his brother was dead has discovered he is alive and has been using his identity for almost 50 years.
Paul Woodhouse, who lives near Oban, was told by his father that his half-brother Roy had died in South Africa.
However, it emerged the 69-year-old was being held at an immigration detention centre in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Mr Woodhouse, 62, learned his sibling had been using his identity since obtaining a passport in his name in the 1960s. He is now planning a reunion.

Mr Woodhouse, a married father of four, said although Roy was his half brother, he had always been part of the family.
He said the brothers' late father, Isaiah, had informed the family years ago that Roy, who spent his youth in and out of borstal for petty crimes before moving abroad, had died in South Africa.
"I was quite traumatised when I heard from my father that Roy had died because I had hoped that, where ever he was, he was still alive and that one day we would be able to meet up again," he said.

Mr Woodhouse said he believed the family last had contact with his brother in 1967.
"I last remember him when he was 13 or 14 years of age, he used to be away at borstal and then come back. Then he took off and we didn't hear of him again until 1967," he said.
"I was just learning to drive and my first trip in my father's car was to Southampton Magistrates Court.

"Roy was in court because he had stowed away on the Queen Mary and got arrested in New York harbour. I remember he went to Winchester Prison."
Mr Woodhouse said it must have been after his release from prison that Roy began using his identity, to get a passport to go abroad again.

He had presumed Roy had been dead for decades until he received a call from the immigration detention centre in Honolulu last week.
Roy was detained last year and decided to tell officials he had been using his brother's name.

US Immigration officer Joy Tokunago spent months trying to trace Roy's family to confirm proof about his real name as he could not be released and returned to Britain until new identity papers were issued.
She finally traced the family through another brother in England. Mr Woodhouse then emailed the Hawaii detention centre to help confirm Roy's identity.
Mr Woodhouse said he gave officials "some stories" that only his brother would be able to answer questions about.

He added: "I still don't know what he was detained for, although I don't think it is anything too serious as they are now organising his release."

Mr Woodhouse was then able to speak to his brother last week, for the first time in 49 years.
He said: "When I phoned Roy, I just said, how are you? How is the guy who has come back from the dead!
"I didn't ask too many questions, because I think he was pretty nervous about speaking to me."

Mr Woodhouse, a devoted Christian, said he felt only love and forgiveness for his long-lost brother.
"It is amazing, a miracle. Yes, Roy has taken my identity, but so far it has not had any adverse effect on my life.
"I know he wants to come back to Britain. He is probably just running out of options now he is getting older.
"He did tell me on the phone that he has some health issues but he didn't say what they were."

Mr Woodhouse said he did not know what Roy had been doing during all those years away but said he had never married or had a family.
"He told me he had been in Honolulu since 1995, doing a bit of everything and living rough," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-12392692

Fake monk Francesco Ferro sentenced to 14 months
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12652205

Our Lady of Bethlehem monastery in Portglenone Ferro stayed at Our Lady of Bethlehem Abbey in Portglenone

A man who pretended to be a monk and defrauded a monastery in Portglenone, County Antrim, has been sentenced to 14 months in jail.

Francesco Ferro, who is 27, pleaded guilty to nine counts of fraud and two of theft.

The court in Downpatrick heard he spent nearly £3,000 on the monastery's credit card.

Ferro used the card to buy plane tickets and a stay in a five-star hotel.

The Italian national, who was born in Romania, arrived at Our Lady of Bethlehem Abbey in Portglenone last May with a monastic habit in his suitcase.

Those at the monastery thought he was a Benedictine monk who was due to come for a stay and they did not carry out any formal checks to confirm he was who he said he was.

He had trained as a monk for four years in Rome, but never completed his training.

When he was at the abbey in Portglenone he took part in morning prayer and carried out monastic tasks - but as it was explained in court - he then saw an opportunity to take on a more fraudulent habit.

Over a period of around a month the 27-year-old - who speaks seven different languages - used the abbot's credit card without permission.
Five-star hotel

In total he spent just over £2,000, using some of the money to buy five flights - including one first class from Paris to Dublin - and a stay at a five-star hotel.

It was only after he broke into a room at the abbey and stole £500 in cash that the police got involved.

The judge told Ferro that he had exploited the goodwill of the holy order and abused their trust.

He said there was a degree of cleverness to what he had done. He told him he was a person of some charm and some skill which he was misusing.

Ferro left court in a prison van after being sentenced to 14 months in jail. However, he will not be behind bars for much longer because of the amount of time he has spent on remand.

India takes action against pilots 'using fake licences'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12733601

India's air safety record is generally good despite the scandals

Related Stories

Air India pilot blamed for crash
Indian plane crash kills scores
Air disasters timeline

The licences of all airline pilots in India will be checked after at least four people were discovered flying aircraft with alleged fake documents.

Aviation chief Bharat Bhushan said that two pilots had been arrested for using fake certificates to gain licences.

He said that one of those was an Air India pilot with false qualifications.

Two other pilots are still being investigated. The licences and other documents of 500 airline pilots have been checked so far.

A total of 4,000 pilots will be checked.

Mr Bhushan said that the second pilot was arrested last week after an aircraft was damaged while attempting to land. He said that a subsequent inspection of his papers showed that she had used fake documents to get a licence.

The news is the latest of a series of scandals involving Indian airline pilots - even though the country has a relatively good safety record. On Friday the authorities said that they were taking action against 57 pilots who had reported for duty drunk over the past two years.

Over the same period there have also been reports of pilots falling asleep while flying and pilots fighting with air crew.

Is football fan a German prince or a brazen imposter?
The strange case of the FA Cup tie and the Kaiser
By Andrew McCorkell
Sunday, 20 March 2011

Maidenhead in Berkshire is no stranger to excitement, and on Tuesday it was gearing up for another night of high-society celebrations. The local football club, celebrating its 140th anniversary, was marking the occasion with a visit from its royal patron, His Royal Highness Prince Frederick von Saxe-Lauenberg.

Enter the Prince, who arrived at the stadium on foot after a long and tiring cross-country train journey from Manchester. Despite his inauspicious arrival, His Royal Highness duly flipped the coin at the kick-off of the commemorative game – a repeat of the 1873 FA Cup quarter-final match against Oxford University – before the club sealed a 3-1 victory.

After the game the Prince stood up and announced he was hoping to secure a major sponsorship deal for the club. Instead of spontaneous applause, the Prince's announcement was greeted by embarrassed silence and the shuffling of chairs and napkins. Diplomatically, the club's chairman, Peter Griffin proffered a quiet word of thanks and farewell.

Club officials then investigated their royal patron, discovering a more down-to-earth truth: that His Highness was born Sid Halpern in Manchester. 8) The prince was installed as the club's royal patron in 2008 in a move to match the Duke of Edinburgh's patronage of the club's rival, Windsor and Eton FC.

Steve Jinman, the club's director, said: "Our commercial manager found this guy called Frederick and he said he could do lots of good stuff for us and it didn't cost anything. But when we met him, everyone was a bit surprised because, for a royal, he, well, he seemed a bit more like the average guy in the street."

The Prince, 59, said that he inherited the title from his mother's family. "It was bought back from the Kaiser in the early 1900s. It is a purchased title, bought back after it was stolen in 1689. It's all on Wikipedia. I am remotely related to the Queen, yes. And all the sovereign houses of Europe, and the ones who are not reigning," he said.

Debrett's, the bible of royal and aristocratic lineages, was stumped by the Prince's claims. "The one reference to the duchy in the very early 18th century would suggest it is not a very significant one. The daughter of the Duke of Saxe-Lauenberg married into a collateral branch of the royal house of France. There's nothing after that other than a rather tenuous connection," a spokesman said.

Frederick – or Sid – lives in a Ruritanian idyll sometimes mistaken for a semi-detached house in Manchester's Withington area and is the patron of a number of charities.

He is also registered to a company called Children of the World 2000, a firm that has sparked a number of complaints over its charitable status. After the Charity Commission requested more information, an application for charitable status was withdrawn.

Mr Halpern remains adamant he has behaved impeccably, befitting his station as a royal. "It's not my title that defines me. It's what's inside – what your actions are. I have conducted myself above board and I have not crossed anybody at the ground. They were all delighted to see me and there is some hope to get the ground sponsored," he said.

"Under British law I'm officially not allowed to use my foreign royal title, but privately other royals know who you are. But on your passport it is Mr. It's like Princess Catherine of Yugoslavia."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 47058.html
The current heir lives in the United Kingdom and the Netherlands - HRH Prince Frederick von Saxe-Lauenberg (b.1952)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxe-Lauenburg

Not all members of royalty or nobility have massive wealth.
I personally know a woman whose father was a baronet, and she's as poor as a churchmouse.

India revokes licences of 14 'fake pilots'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12857742

India's air safety record is generally good despite the scandals
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

'Fake' pilots
India action over 'fake' pilots
The licences of 14 pilots have been revoked by India's aviation authorities as they were allegedly proved to be flying with fake documents.

A police probe found a flying club had issued "fake records" of their training sessions, India's civil aviation chief, Bharat Bhushan, told the BBC .

Earlier this month the licences of seven pilots were cancelled because of fake certificates.

The licences of 4,000 pilots are being checked for irregularities.

Mr Bhushan said that the police had discovered that a flying club in the northern state of Rajasthan had issued "fake records" of training sessions for 14 pilots.

"Based on the police complaints, we have revoked the licences of 14 commercial pilots," he said.

There have been a series of scandals involving Indian airline pilots recently - even though the country has a relatively good safety record.

Earlier this month authorities said that they were taking action against 57 pilots who had reported for duty drunk over the past two years.

Over the same period there have also been reports of pilots falling asleep while flying and pilots fighting with air crew.

The BBC's Soutik Biswas in Delhi says the massive growth in India's aviation sector over recent years has presented serious regulatory challenges to the authorities.

India now has the world's fourth largest number of domestic fliers after the US, China and Japan.

In China, 200 pilots were found with fake papers in 2008, according to the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation.

Driving test fraudsters jailed for 'ridiculously unsophisticated' scam
Five-time test failure's friend agreed to step in – and ended up making 16 mistakes, court told
Steven Morris guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 2 August 2011 12.27 BST

Two bungling drivers have been jailed for hatching a "ridiculously unsophisticated" plot to get one of them a licence.
Hadi Mohammed, 28, a former Iraqi police officer, had failed his test five times and his friend, Derbas Hamed, a qualified driver, agreed to step in and take the examination for him.

Eyebrows were raised when Hamed, 25, was spotted driving up to the test centre in Gloucester alone. Hamed pretended to be Mohammed and took the test but failed in "spectacular fashion", making 16 mistakes, Gloucester crown court heard. Staff were suspicious and called the police.

Rosie Walsh, for the prosecution, said: "Mr Mohammed had booked to take his driving test in Gloucester. He had failed the test five times beforehand."
She said Hamed showed staff his friend's provisional licence and because they looked similar he was allowed to take the test.
Walsh added: "When the police interviewed Mr Hamed at first he gave his name as Mr Mohammed but when he was arrested he confessed. When Mr Mohammed was also arrested he said he had been too tired to take the test."

Giles Nelson, in mitigation for Mohammed, said: "My client did not actively commit the deception and played a secondary part.
"It was an extremely unsophisticated fraud, ridiculously unsophisticated and amateurish. He got nowhere near succeeding and is thoroughly ashamed.
"Since coming to this country from Iraq he is desperate to find work and needs a driving licence."

Lloyd Jenkins, for father-of-two Hamed, said: "My client was candid in interview and has apologised. He drove his friend to Gloucester as a favour and on the way the plan was hatched. There was no money involved.
"My client says that he realised what he was doing was wrong so he deliberately failed the test in a spectacular fashion. He had 16 driving faults."

The men, who are from Bristol, admitted fraud by false representation. Mohammed was jailed for two months and Hamed, who has a previous conviction for fraud after he impersonated someone else for a driving theory test, was sent to prison for three months.

Recorder Michael De Navarro QC told the men: "This is a very serious offence and had you both been successful a completely unqualified driver and not a very good one at that would have been let loose on the roads.
"This would have meant a danger to other road-users and only a custodial sentence is justified. I do not accept Mr Hamed's contention that he failed the test deliberately."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/0 ... ers-jailed

Bogus pupil set to lose place at university
JOHN ARLIDGE Scotland Correspondent Wednesday 20 September 1995

The 32-year-old man who studied for a year at his old school while masquerading as a teenager is set to lose his university place.

Brian MacKinnon won a place at Dundee University medical school after studying for a year at Bearsden Academy in Glasgow and gaining five As in his Higher Grade examinations. He was due to return to the university this year after a family bereavement forced him to abandon the course last year. While studying at the medical school he continued the deception about his age, telling staff and students he was a 17-year-old named Brandon Lee.

University officials have launched their own inquiry into the affair, and said yesterday that they were reviewing their offer. A spokeswoman said that since Mr MacKinnon had lied about his age, his place would almost certainly be withdrawn. "We don't usually take students over the age of 30 at the medical school and we take a very firm line about the conduct and honesty of medical students. Lying raises ethical questions for someone who is training to be a doctor," she said.

Education chiefs in Glasgow admitted yesterday that they were embarrassed Mr MacKinnon had duped staff at Bearsden into thinking he was a teenager. Enrolment procedures are to be tightened and from now on, students will have to produce their birth certificates when they register.

David Alexander, deputy director of the Strathclyde Regional Council's education department, confirmed that Mr MacKinnon had enrolled at Bearsden in 1993. Even though he had studied at the school in the late 1970s, none of the teaching staff recognised him.

He told the school's headmaster, Norman MacLeod, that he had arrived in Scotland from Canada and was living in Bearsden. After checking his address, Mr MacLeod awarded him a place. Mr MacKinnon went on to achieve five A grades in his exams and won a place at Dundee University medical school. He was so convincing that Mr MacLeod himself wrote his university references.

Mr Alexander said: "We are taking this matter very seriously. We have decided to adopt new enrolment procedures for pupils. We will be asking them to produce satisfactory documentation in regard to age and status." Mr Alexander dismissed suggestions that Mr MacLeod should resign. He had acted "in good faith" and the council had "every confidence" in his abilities.

Mr MacKinnon's true identity was only revealed last month when he went on holiday with two female classmates to Tenerife. After one of the girls spotted his date of birth on his passport, Mr MacLeod received an anonymous telephone call, telling him the student was an imposter. Mr MacLeod interviewed Mr MacKinnon last week and asked him to return with his birth certificate.

Mr MacKinnon has not been seen since. There was no answer yesterday at the council flat he shares with his 70-year-old mother, May, in the Whitehurst district of Bearsden.

At the school, former classmates expressed surprise at the revelations, although some admitted they had harboured doubts about his age. Sixth- former Victoria Montgomery said: "I am shocked. He was a really nice boy." Her friend, Karen Hill, added: "I sometimes thought he looked a bit mature."

It is unclear whether Mr MacKinnon has committed any criminal offence, although the Passport Office is examining allegations that he may have tried to obtain a false passport.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bogus ... 01948.html

Ronson8 said:
That story is 16 years old. :?
Lordy, so it is! :shock:

I thought it sounded familiar, but it hasn't been on FTMB before, according to a search on his name.

It's top of the Indie's Most Viewed list, so it's another example of a few people searching out an old story and setting off a chain reaction.

Pakistan police arrest man who 'posed as general'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16653576

Maqsood Shah had worked as a hospital administrator, according to police
Police in the Pakistani city of Karachi have arrested an alleged confidence trickster who spent three years posing as an army general.

Maqsood Shah, 52, was arrested on Thursday wearing a fake army uniform while on his way to meet a government official over an illegal land transfer.

Police told the BBC that they recovered two fake army uniforms, an AK-47 rifle and a blackberry phone from his home.

Mr Shah has made no public comment on the allegations as yet.

Mr Shah was a general administrator in a hospital, police superintendent Ghulam Subhani told the BBC's Nosheen Abbas in Islamabad.

But for the past three years he has been posing as an army general in an effort to illegally obtain land and get favours from officials, according to the police.

Superintendent Subhani also said that he had even attended the funeral of influential local politician Pir Pagara in a fake uniform, without being detected.

He has been remanded into police custody for seven days. He could face a prison term if found guilty of fraud.

Fake barrister David Evans wore gown and wig at court
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-17268631

David Evans had worn a solicitor's gown with a barrister's wig

A 57-year-old man who pretended to be a qualified barrister at crown court was found out after admitting he had no legal qualifications.

David Sydney Evans, of Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan, walked into the advocates' room at Plymouth Crown Court wearing a gown and wig, and went to the cells to visit a friend he was representing.

But the judge picked up on a series of wrongly made legal points.

Evans was found guilty at Bristol Crown Court and will be sentenced this month.

The jury was told he had previous convictions for a similar offence.

He had held consultations with patients at a Carmarthenshire hospital pretending to be a clinical psychologist.

Start Quote

At no time did Judge Wildblood know that Mr Evans was unqualified, he only found out after persistently asking Mr Evans to tell him about his qualifications”

Kenneth Bell
Prosecuting
Evans was serving a sentence for obtaining money by deception when he met cannabis producer Terry Moss, who was "desperate" for someone to help him after sacking his legal teams.

The court head that Evans, who had no legal training, claimed he was trying to help his friend by representing him as "lay counsel" during a complex proceeds of crime case.

But Evans sent a number of headed letters to Truro and Plymouth crown courts while he was still in prison stating he was a "senior advocate", the jury was told.

He also made legal applications, asked for time extensions and adjournments, and sent a skeleton legal argument to the prosecution.

The court heard he asked Moss's sister to buy him a solicitor's gown and barrister's wig before appearing in front of Judge Stephen Wildblood QC in Plymouth on 17 August 2010.

'Barrister wig'
Kenneth Bell, prosecuting, said Evans was "not naive" and had repeatedly pretended to the court that he was a trained barrister.

"He knew perfectly well that he was not entitled to go to court, put on a solicitor's gown, put the collar and the bands on, put the wig on and stand in court to represent Mr Moss, but he did so," Mr Bell said.

"At no time did Judge Wildblood know that Mr Evans was unqualified, he only found out after persistently asking Mr Evans to tell him about his qualifications."

Start Quote

I believed Mr Evans to be a member of the Bar so to come in to see someone in a solicitor's gown and a barrister wig struck as a surprise”

Judge Stephen Wildblood
Giving evidence in Bristol, Judge Wildblood told the court Evans had made a series of legal assertions which were "wrong in an elementary way".

Judge Wildblood also said Evans's appearance had struck him "immediately as strange".

"I believed Mr Evans to be a member of the Bar so to come in to see someone in a solicitor's gown and a barrister wig struck as a surprise," he said.

The judge made inquiries but found no record of Evans.

When he asked him what his legal qualifications were, Evans admitted he had none.

Evans had been caught out, but was allowed to remain in court as somebody who could assist a defendant in representing themselves in court.

Moss had already been jailed for four-and-a-half years after admitting growing cannabis at his home in Cornwall and was facing a proceeds of crime hearing.

The jury was told the Plymouth hearing was adjourned until October 2010, when Moss had £70,000 removed from his assets.

Evans was found guilty of carrying out a reserved legal activity when not entitled and wilfully pretending to be a person with a right of audience.

Clinical psychologist

He was released on bail to reappear at Bristol Crown Court on 26 March for sentencing.

Evans had befriended Moss in Dartmoor prison while serving time for various offences of obtaining money by deception.

He dishonestly obtained services from Werndale Hospital, near Carmarthen, where he held eight consultations with four different patients pretending to be a clinical psychologist.

He had previously submitted a CV to the hospital stating he had nine GCSEs, a masters degree in psychology and previous employment with North Devon District Council.

Strange rather than a conman imho.

Frenchman 'posing as pilot' found in US jet cockpit
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21901540

Philippe Jernnard could face futher charges

A Frenchman has been charged with impersonating a pilot after he was found in the cockpit of a plane due to take off in Philadelphia, police say.

Philippe Jernnard, from La Rochelle, France, was wearing a shirt with an Air France logo and a blazer with epaulets.

He was discovered in the jump seat behind the pilot on a US Airways plane on Wednesday evening, an officer said.

The FBI is investigating the incident and police said they expect federal charges may be filed.

Mr Jernnard, 61, faces state charges including criminal trespassing, tampering with records, impersonating a person privately employed, and providing false identification to law enforcement, Philadelphia police told the BBC.

When he was found in the cockpit, Mr Jernnard identified himself as a 747 pilot for Air France, authorities said.

They added the suspect, who had a ticket for the US Airways flight to Florida, could not provide proof of his credentials.

Officer Christine O'Brien says Mr Jernnard became argumentative and was escorted from the plane.

Mr Jernnard was also reportedly carrying a fake Air France crew identification card.

He is being held on $1m bail (£657,000), US media report.

Where did he get all the stuff? Did he make it himself or does he have connections? Seems a hell of a lot of trouble to go to just because he didn't get the seat he wanted - one too many viewings of Catch Me If You Can, maybe?

Has David Birnbaum solved the mystery of existence?
David Birnbaum made his fortune selling jewellery to movie stars. Now he has published a 'remarkable and profound' investigation into the origins of the universe. Is there any reason to take it seriously?
Oliver Burkeman
The Guardian, Saturday 19 October 2013

In the summer of 2012, a number of philosophers at British and American universities received a bulky, unmarked package in the post. It contained a 560-page book, written in English but with the Latin title Summa Metaphysica, by an amateur whose name they didn't recognise: David Birnbaum. It isn't unusual for philosophy departments to get mail from cranks, convinced they have solved the riddle of existence, but they usually send stapled print-outs, or handwritten letters; Summa Metaphysica stood out "for its size and its glossiness", says Tim Crane, a professor of philosophy at Cambridge. The book was professionally typeset. It even included endorsements from Claude Lévi-Strauss, the legendary French anthropologist, who described it as "remarkable and profound", and from the Princeton physicist John Wheeler, who once collaborated with Einstein. It would later transpire that 40,000 copies were in circulation, a print run any academic philosopher might kill for. The book claimed to have sliced through countless fundamental problems in philosophy, physics and theology, and there on the spine, where the publisher's name appears, was one deeply reassuring word: "Harvard".

Then the story grew stranger. In May this year, the US-based Chronicle of Higher Education reported that prominent scholars – scientists, philosophers and theologians – had been persuaded to attend an expenses-paid "international academic conference" at Bard College, a respected institution in upstate New York, devoted to Birnbaum's work. "We are especially pleased to announce that David Birnbaum will be present during discussion," the invitations glowingly explained. They hinted that his work might point the way toward a reconciliation of science and religion.

But the event itself, on Bard's leafy campus beside the Hudson river, proved disorienting. It was "definitely, absolutely the strangest conference I ever attended", the astrophysicist Marcelo Gleiser told the Chronicle.

Tammy Nyden, an expert on Spinoza, the great rationalist of 17th-century philosophy, "felt hesitant about the invitation to begin with", the Chronicle reported, "but because it was taking place at a venerable institution like Bard, she decided to go".

On the one hand, Birnbaum's work had attracted plenty of credible endorsements: a typical blurb for Summa Metaphysica, attributed to a mathematician at Warwick University named Hugo van den Berg, described it as "unparalleled and magisterial". On the other, nothing about Birnbaum's approach was conventional. Conference-goers were surprised to find him handing out Summa Metaphysica T-shirts; it subsequently emerged that he had provided thousands of dollars of his own money to fund the gathering. Nyden recalled feeling uneasy: "Here's someone with a lot of money," she thought, "and they're buying a lot of legitimacy."

The academics could be forgiven for never having heard of Summa Metaphysica's author. But, in fact, he was far from unknown: David Birnbaum is a prominent figure in the New York jewel trade, a private seller of high-carat diamonds and other rare gems, with a clientele that has included celebrities – Goldie Hawn, James Gandolfini – but consists mainly of the anonymous super-rich. For some time now, aided by his wealth, Birnbaum has been on an altogether different mission: to convince the world he has made an astonishing breakthrough in philosophy. It is a quest that has seen him accused of "academic identity theft", epic levels of arrogance, and the unauthorised use of Harvard University's trademarks. But it also raises fascinating questions. These days, only a tiny number of people understand enough theoretical physics, or advanced philosophy, to grasp what these disciplines tell us about reality at the deepest level. Is it still conceivable – as it was a century ago – that a gentleman amateur, with some financial resources, could make a real, revolutionary contribution to our understanding of the mysteries of the universe?

There is no shortage of people who would say no, at least in Birnbaum's case. His work, said a commenter on the Chronicle's website, "reads like L Ron Hubbard had drunken sex one night with Ayn Rand and produced this bastard thought-child". One scholar who became professionally involved with Birnbaum described the experience as "unsettling, unfortunate and, to my knowledge, unprecedented in academic circles". Another just called him "toxic".

But then again – as Birnbaum pointed out to me, more than once, during the weeks I spent trying to figure out exactly what he was up to – just suppose that a scrappy, philosophically unqualified Jewish guy from Queens really had cracked the cosmic code, embarrassing the ivory-tower elites: well, isn't this exactly the kind of defensive response you'd expect? :twisted:

The science writer Margaret Wertheim has made a specialism of studying people she calls "outsider scientists": obsessive amateurs, usually with little or no university education, who assert that mainstream science has taken a wrong turn, and devote themselves to constructing elaborate alternative theories of reality. The star of her 2011 book on the subject, Physics On The Fringe, is a trailer-park owner from Washington state named Jim Carter, who rejects quantum physics, arguing that the universe is actually composed of minuscule doughnut-shaped particles called circlons.
[String theory also envisages tiny loops of vibrating 'strings'.]
Whatever else may be said about this theory, Carter's painstaking, multicoloured circlon diagrams are gorgeous; Wertheim once curated an exhibition of them at the Santa Monica Museum of Art.

Wertheim is unashamedly sympathetic toward her cast of eccentrics, a fact that led some critics to misread her as arguing that their ideas ought to be taken seriously. What she really wants us to take seriously, though, is the motivation behind their efforts: their insistence that the deepest secrets of the universe, as she puts it, "ought to be understandable by an ordinary, thoughtful person, who's willing to do some contemplating". Science is supposed to explain the world to us, turning shimmering mysteries into intelligible truths. But, in practice, few of us will ever understand the cutting edge of a field such as physics, because it requires so much advanced mathematics; we must take it on trust. "What happens to a society when the official cosmology, the official picture of the world, is literally incomprehensible to 99.9% of people?" Wertheim wonders. "On some level, isn't that just a very unhealthy situation for a society to be in?"

Summa Metaphysica seems to have sprung from this same insistence that the world should be figurable-out. It is nothing less than an effort to answer the most brain-bending question of all: why does anything exist in the first place? William James, brother of Henry, called this question "the darkest in all philosophy"; the astrophysicist Bernard Lovell warned that thinking about it could "tear the individual's mind asunder". "Like all deep incomprehensibilities," writes Jim Holt in his recent book Why Does The World Exist?, "it lends an opening to jocularity." When Holt put the question to the American philosopher Arthur Danto, he shot back: "Who says there's not nothing?" :twisted:

Birnbaum isn't joking, though. Summa Metaphysica is actually two books: a 270-page preliminary volume, then the 560-page main event. (He has also published at least 15 ancillary works and operates, by my count, at least 12 websites, including philosophy1000.com, womb1000.com and potential1000.com.) It is an exhausting read, partly thanks to its length – volume two alone has 90 appendices – but also because much of it is written in a kind of rapturous, mystical prose, liberally peppered with capitals. A typical sentence reads: "The cosmic trajectory is from the bottomless VOID to the limitless EXTRAORDINARY." Birnbaum's big idea is what he calls "the Quest for Potential theory", or Q4P, or occasionally Q4P[infinity symbol]. The sense that he is unveiling hidden, pan-historical connections sometimes gives his work the flavour of Dan Brown.

etc...

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/o ... hilosopher

At that point I started to lose the will to live... 8)

Last edited by a moderator:
A young Jewish American man has been charged with pretending to be an Australian-based Islamic State jihadist after a FBI joint investigation with the Australian Federal Police based on information provided by Fairfax Media.

Joshua Ryne Goldberg, a 20-year old living at his parents' house in US state of Florida, is accused of posing online as "Australi Witness," an IS supporter who publicly called for a series of attacks against individuals and events in western countries.

In recent days Australi Witness has claimed online that he is working with other jihadists to plan attacks in Australia and the United States. He distributed pictures of a bomb that he was working on with "2 lbs of explosives inside".

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nat...ican-troll-20150911-gjk852.html#ixzz3lPzp69u7
Follow us: @brisbanetimes on Twitter | brisbanetimes on Facebook

http://www.newyorker.com/science/maria-konnikova/how-stories-deceive

She was a teen-ager—fourteen or fifteen, at most. At five feet six, she weighed just more than eighty-eight pounds. Her long, blond hair covered a spiny, battered back. Once she did talk, some days later, it became clear that she had only the most rudimentary grasp of English—not enough to say who she was or why she’d appeared as she had. But the girl could draw. And what she drew made her new guardians catch their breaths.

(...)

With the help of Brennan’s tip, the story of the G.P.O. girl began to unravel. The garda called Interpol and discovered that Azzopardi—who was twenty-five years old, not fifteen— had more than forty aliases

Best photoshopping ever.

A wannabe soldier has been exposed as a fraud for claiming to get a top medal when he posted a badly faked photo online.

Dave Harper was exposed by real soldiers who spotted obvious errors in the bodged photoshop job on his Facebook page.

The image was nicked from an actual hero soldier being given the third highest medal for gallantry.

Harper put the picture up on his page, claiming to have been awarded the Military Cross for serving in Northern Ireland.

But the picture showed an Afghanistan conflict medal – and the fantasist had used a picture of Lance Corporal Alfie Pope of the Parachute Regiment.

PAY-Dave-Harper-not-Lance-Corporal-Alfie-Pope.jpg

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fake-soldier-exposed-walter-mitty-7350670

Man who claimed to have escaped Auschwitz admits he lied for years

Joseph Hirt said he fabricated story of being sent to camp and meeting Nazi doctor Josef Mengele to ‘keep memories alive’ about history of the Holocaust

A Pennsylvania man who claimed for years to have escaped from Auschwitz, met track and field star Jesse Owens and Nazi doctor Josef Mengele, confessed on Friday that he had fabricated the entire story.

“I am writing today to apologize publicly for harm caused to anyone because of my inserting myself into the descriptions of life in Auschwitz,” Joseph Hirt, 86, wrote in a letter sent to his local paper, LNP, this week. “I was not a prisoner there. I did not intend to lessen or overshadow the events which truly happened there by falsely claiming to have been personally involved.”

“I was wrong. I ask forgiveness,” he added. “I determined at that moment to do everything in my power to prevent the loss of the truth about wartime life (and death) at Auschwitz.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/24/holocaust-survivor-lied-joseph-hirt-auschwitz

Former Console chief Paul Kelly described as a ‘Walter Mitty’
Founder of suicide prevention charity posed as doctor and claimed to have been ordained

Sat, Jul 2, 2016, 01:00
Paul Cullen
“Walter Mitty-esque” is the most common description used to describe the astonishing revelations about Console founder Paul Kelly over the past week.

Like the fictional character, Kelly comes across as having a vivid fantasy life. Numerous anecdotes have him walking down Grafton Street dressed as an airline pilot, soliciting funds as a priest and making a real-life court appearance for impersonating a doctor.

It was almost comic.

“Cracked as a cricket,” says one woman who knew Kelly during his St John of God period. “He was funny all the time. He’d be telling all about dressing up as a nun, smoking on the bus, or going into the chemist’s trying to buy condoms. Delighted, telling you what he’d done, all for the shock value I suppose.”

However, some of those who knew him describe an altogether darker figure, one who repeatedly exaggerated and fabricated the involvement of others in Console, who was money-hungry and always prepared to shove others aside in the cause of his own advancement.

Then there were the shocking revelations about lavish spending in Console by Kelly and family members, even as counsellors went unpaid and the suicide helpline was downsized. Console wouldn’t be the first charity to find itself run by a family clique raiding the coffers for their personal use, but the breadth and scale of the spending, on everything from dental work to rugby tickets, was staggering.

The fact this was happening in a charity dealing with suicide made it all the more poignant. Here was an organisation helping people on the edge, manned largely by volunteer counsellors and reliant on public generosity, and yet much of the money raised appears to have been used for purposes far removed from the original charitable purpose.

Before last week, the public knew another Paul Kelly: leader of the best-known suicide prevention charity in the country, an eloquent advocate on the issue, someone feted for his vision and achievement and oft pictured alongside the great and the good.

In time, Kelly may wish to give his side of the story but, for now, his fall from grace is complete and the future of Console, despite efforts to “right the ship” in recent days, is far from certain.

Practical joker
The real Paul Kelly hails from Ballyfermot, where he grew up in a large, respectable working-class family, according to those who remember his younger days. While still a teenager he became a novice with the St John of God order in Co Kildare where, it is claimed, he developed a reputation as a practical joker, often attending theology classes dressed as a nun.
After parting company with the order, he spent time in Scotland and then worked for a time as a porter in St James’s Hospital. In June 1983, he ended up in Dublin District Court after he was caught pretending to be a doctor. He admitted to the offence and was given the benefit of the Probation Act.

According to a newspaper report of the case, Kelly responded to a newspaper advertisement for the post. He told the interviewing doctor he was educated at Trinity College, and was told to turn up for work the following Monday.

When approached for his qualifications he used the registration number of another doctor with the same name. The ruse lasted three weeks before he was caught out. ...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...est&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news_digest

Bigot who slurred memory of Bloody Sunday hero priest faked photos to invent bogus Army career

ALLAN Woods, who went on a vile rant about the late Bishop Edward Daly, went to extreme lengths to create the impression he had a successful military career.

pizapcom14712071083351.jpg

Shamed Allan Woods faked photos to invent a bogus Army career
A BIGOT who slurred the memory of a hero priest faked photos to invent a bogus Army career.

Allan Woods’s vile rant about Bishop Edward Daly, who helped a dying boy in the carnage of Bloody Sunday was exposed last week. He branded the priest, who went on to become Bishop of Derry and died last week aged 82, a “lying IRA-supporting b*****d”.

Woods also claimed to have been on duty as a young soldier at the civil rights protest in 1972 when British Paras opened fire on unarmed civilians killing 13 people. Another victim died later.

And in his cowardly online attack, he made the completely unfounded slur that Daly – who famously waved a bloodied white handkerchief as a symbol of ceasefire as he tried to help a fatally injured youth – had been carrying a gun.

But the Record can reveal bus driver Woods, 61, from Elderslie, Renfrewshire, who claimed to have been a Para, is a fantasist who has never served in the armed forces at all, let alone the elite Parachute Regiment.

The fraudster has gone to extreme lengths to create the impression online that he had a successful military career.

He superimposed his face on to the photograph of a real decorated soldier in order to convince Facebook friends of his made-up past.

Bigot launches disgusting attack on Bloody Sunday hero priest Edward Daly just days after his death

The picture is in fact of retired Para Colour Sergeant John “Tommo” Tompkins, from Wigan. ...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...d-memory-bloody-8632072#ICID=sharebar_twitter

A man who allegedly masqueraded as a doctor in Australian hospitals for over a decade is believed to have left the country, authorities have said.

Shyam Acharya is accused of stealing a doctor's name and qualifications in India before moving to Australia.

He used the credentials to work in local hospitals between 2003 and 2014, New South Wales (NSW) Health said. He also became an Australian citizen.

Mr Acharya was never the individual subject of a complaint.

He is facing a fine of up to A$30,000 (£18,600; $18,700) but is likely to have left Australia, said NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard on Wednesday.

"It is quite disturbing that a foreign national could get through our border protection with a false passport and ID based on an Indian citizen who had trained as a doctor," Mr Hazzard said in a statement. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-39201763

DENVER -- A surgical assistant posing as a cosmetic surgeon in Colorado pleaded guilty to felony charges in court Friday, CBS Denver reports.

Carlos Hernandez Fernandez, 37, pleaded guilty to second degree assault and criminal impersonation -- both felony charges -- along with unauthorized practice of physician, a misdemeanor.

Hernandez Fernandez was arrested in August 2016 and accused of impersonating a doctor and performing procedures on unsuspecting women.

“This was a man who was holding himself up to be a licensed doctor and he wasn’t, and he was performing surgery and procedures without a license,” Lynn Kimbrough with the Denver district attorney’s office said at the time of his arrest. Kimbrough said at least four women had “suffered serious bodily injury because of the procedures.”

In a plea deal with prosecutors, Hernandez Fernandez agreed to pay approximately $175,000 in restitution to the dozens of victims on whom he illegally operated.

The charges to which he pleaded guilty were just three of the 126 counts with which he had been charged. Prosecutors will dismiss the remaining counts. ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...-to-operating-on-dozens-of-victims/ar-BBzzscG

If you look up Dr. Damian Jacob Markiewicz Sendler online, you might think he has a MD and a PhD from Harvard Medical School. He presents himself as the chief of sexology at a non-profit health research foundation based in New York. His website states he’s one of the youngest elected members of the American Psychiatric Association and the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, and that Barack Obama gave him a President’s Gold Service Award for his contributions in medicine and mental health.
Based on the information available online, Sendler could be one of the most accomplished 28-year-olds in medicine.
But he’s not. Those are all lies.
Sendler is a serial fabulist. The accomplished doctor character Sendler has created has appeared in numerous media outlets—Vice, Playboy, Savage Lovecast, Huffington Post, Insider, Bustle, Thrive Global, Women’s Health, and Forbes, among others. Many of these platforms have published Sendler’s lies and publicized his bizarre and irresponsible studies on necrophilia, zoophilia, lethal erotic asphyxiation, and sexual assault. And until recently, he was soliciting patients through his website where he offered online psychotherapy and sex therapy.

https://gizmodo.com/the-fake-sex-doctor-who-conned-the-media-into-publicizi-1832711205

Hello from the future! I don't think so.

I'm looking for one too, hoping to post this video about a man who pretended to be Peter Criss of KISS, and in a strange turn of events ended up meeting the real deal on TV.

Nice of the real Paul McCartney to have turned up in the audience (at the back, 31:35)

Back