• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Preservation of Dead Persons' Webpages at Mydeathspace.com

TJ_Honeysuckle

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Had a look through various boards but couldn't see any reference to this site, which (ahem) collates dead people's myspace pages, as well as killers' pages.
Can't see why they can't taken down, but apparently if you die with a page, myspace leave it out there.
They have a forum and all too.

Thoughts?

TJ_Honeysuckle said:
Had a look through various boards but couldn't see any reference to this site, which (ahem) collates dead people's myspace pages, as well as killers' pages.
Can't see why they can't taken down, but apparently if you die with a page, myspace leave it out there.
They have a forum and all too.

Thoughts?

Always sad to read about deaths, even people you don't know.
I found this PAGE.

I only looked at the first page, but quite a lot of the deceased listed are seventeen years old, is this an unlucky age or something?

Most are car accidents and a lot seem to be caused by mobile phones. 17 might be the most dangerous age as people are almost grown up and can do adult things like driving and drinking etc but they are still children deep down and haven't learned how to handle things in a mature way.

What struck me about it, once I got past the general ghoulishness of the whole enterprise, was the idea that if you are unlucky enough to die with an active myspace page, it stays up there. Rubberneckers can gawp & your friends can post tearful messages until...well, when? Why doesn't myspace pull 'em down?

Make sure you leave your myspace password to your executor, would be my tip here.

I read an article on this, apparently myspace deal with each case individually, consulting the family of the deceased over whether or not they want the page to stay online. Some are taken down, some remain at the family’s wishes; I presume as a sort of forum for mourners.

My feelings would be to leave the sites up if the families wish it. They are in effect memorials that anyone can access and deleteing them would be like wiping out peoples memories of the dead person.

I think its an excellent idea to keep these people on. First of all they liked "myspace" so I recon they-would-have-wanted-to stay and secondly it is no sadder than a cemetary with images on the gravestones at which [lets face it] people could gawp.

Dingo667 said:
I think its an excellent idea to keep these people on. First of all they liked "myspace" so I recon they-would-have-wanted-to stay and secondly it is no sadder than a cemetary with images on the gravestones at which [lets face it] people could gawp.

That made me think of the singing hologram on the gravestone in Love Soup which was both absurd and funny in a way. Perhaps that's future of burials?

Back