• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Priest Found To Have Fathered Children With Lobotomised Woman

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
He fathered 2 children with a lobotimised woman and then when she killed herself he ran away.

Children fathered by priest settle suit

Agreement requires Law to meet family

By Michael S. Rosenwald, Globe Staff, 1/30/2004

The Catholic Archdiocese of Boston reached a settlement yesterday in the case of a priest who fathered two children with one of his parishioners, a Needham woman, and then fled her home the night she died of a drug overdose.

Church officials announced an agreement with the family of Rita Perry, who died in 1973, in the case against the Rev. James Foley. The priest acknowledged having a lengthy affair with Perry, and paternity tests eventually proved he was the father of two of her four children, Emily and James Perry.

The archdiocese issued a strongly worded statement in which Archbishop Sean P. O'Malley condemned sexual relationships between priests and parishioners.

"Archbishop O'Malley sincerely regrets that a sexual relationship existed between a priest of the Archdiocese and Rita Perry, as well as the involvement of Father Foley in the tragic circumstances of her death," the written statement said. "This tragic situation illustrates the inherently exploitive and harmful nature of sexual relationships between priests and parishioners."

Financial details of the settlement were not disclosed, but the agreement calls for Cardinal Bernard F. Law to meet privately with Perry's four children. Foley's church personnel file showed that in 1993 he admitted to Law and other church officials that he had an affair with Perry in the 1960s and 1970s and had been with her the night she overdosed. Foley was removed from ministry in December 2002, and Law resigned a week later.

The family had filed a wrongful-death suit against Foley, though not against the church. Roderick MacLeish Jr., the family's lawyer, called the settlement a "pastoral response" and said the family would drop the lawsuit.

In a written statement, the Perry family praised O'Malley's strong condemnation of Foley's actions. It was the first time the archdiocese "has acknowledged the destructive nature of priests preying on vulnerable women parishioners," the statement said.

O'Malley has met with the family "to express his apology directly to them and to express his further regret with regard to all that the Perrys have suffered since the revelation of these tragic events last year," according to the church's statement. It also noted that the archdiocese "has issued a Code of Ministerial Behavior which prohibits such relationships in the strongest possible language."

Under the settlement, James Perry will serve on a planned archdiocese advisory board, which will reach out to victims of clergy sexual abuse. "There is no closure to the wounds that have been caused and we intend to do everything we can in the future to ensure that these types of relationships never occur within the Church again and are never ignored by Church officials," read the family's statement.

For three decades, the Perry children thought their mother died alone of a drug overdose in 1973 as then 3-year-old Emily was asleep upstairs. They were also unaware that their mother had a relationship with Foley. She had originally sought counseling from the priest in the late 1950s and met up with him again following her lobotomy in the 1960s.

But in December 2002, the family had a startling revelation when James Perry saw a story on television about a priest who had an affair with a Needham woman who died in 1973.

Eventually, they obtained church records that showed Foley disclosed the affair and the fatal overdose in 1993 to Law and the Rev. John B. McCormack, now the New Hampshire bishop. But Law never told the Perry family. Instead, church leaders sent Foley for counseling. Law returned him to ministry in 1995, and he was removed in 2002.

In January 2003, Foley met with Perry's children and, according to them, described his version of what happened the night their mother died. Foley told them Rita Perry, who was 41, invited him to spend the night. Only Emily, who was 3, was home, and she was asleep upstairs. After midnight, Foley told them, Rita Perry became hysterical and questioned his love for her after he refused to spend the next day with her.

Minutes later, she emerged from the bathroom with a bottle of pills and asked Foley to help her get the top off. Foley said he took the bottle away from her and threw it under a sofa. He said that when she became sick shortly after that, and fainted, he realized that she had taken some pills while she was in the bathroom.

Foley acknowledged that he panicked after Rita collapsed and that he was unable to revive her. He fled after making an anonymous call to Needham police.

In a telephone interview yesterday, James Perry said the revelations have made the past year extremely painful for the family.

"It's been so tumultuous," he said. "It has deeply affected all of us. It's been an ongoing process of discovery of a lot of horrible information."

boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/01/30/children_fathered_by_priest_settle_suit/
Link is dead. No archived version of this particular article available.

Grim :(

Emps

Last edited by a moderator:
Very grim....

is there an obligation to tell the family about it? Obviously they get money from it and The Truth but....

I don't know. If their mum and dad didn't tell them....... ?

just thinking aloud, I don't know what i think. Except that it is indeed grim....

Kath

She had a relationship and brought up kids after being lobotomised?

I didn't think that people could do anything much after being lobotomised?

That surprised me too. Brains are funny complicated things though, you never really know what a particular injury will do to one. Lobotomy is a pretty severe brain injury though.

As for whether or not its better for them to know, I think if it was me I'd want to know the truth. Does sound pretty messed up though.

She had a relationship and brought up kids after being lobotomised?
I didn't think that people could do anything much after being lobotomised?

The results from a lobotomy varied widely. A small (circa 5% as of the 1940's) percentage of patients died during, or as a result of, the procedure itself. At the other extreme, another minority managed to live relatively normal and independent lives with residual limitations. Most, however, were left with detached and passive personalities.

In relation to the focal story, it's worth pointing out that inhibition and initiative were two of the traits most likely to be negatively affected by a lobotomy. It's also worth noting this woman's procedure occurred circa 1960 - relatively late, by which time the procedure was performed with more care (in limiting overall neural damage) than had been exercised earlier.

See, for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobotomy

lobotomies are one of the reasons for my suspicion of 'experts' in the soft science subjects.

Anyone who ever thought cutting out parts of people's brain was a good idea may have been clever, but was also entirely without common sense or normal societal limits.

Here is this complex organ we know virtually nothing about (back then) so lets hack chunks off it and see what happens.

Here is this complex organ we know virtually nothing about (back then) so lets hack chunks off it and see what happens.

agree.

But.... the procedure was carried out on a great aunt of mine. She had always been subject to fits of depression which would pass but gradually got worse and worse. After her third child what we would probably now call postnatal depression didn't lift. several years down the line and she was attempting suicide, having to be restrained, unable to do even minimal self care, begging her family to do something to Make It Stop. A lobotomy was suggested and her husband did his best to get informed consent from her, according to family legend she wanted the procedure in the hope she would die.

Mirabile dictu! the planets were aligned, the stars were favourable, the geese flew low over the lake etc etc etc and she survived and there was a measurable decrease in her symptoms and and increase in her happiness. She mothered her children, had another, was a gracious hostess and so on - which was all that was actually required in her role. When she revistited her family in England in the 1950s her sister, my grandmother, said it was like having the Thirza of about 1910 back again in terms of temperament, not in terms of intelligence.

One case doesn't make good law and I agree it shouldn't have happened. The exception I would make is like having access to experimental treatments for cancer after a certain point. Having little/nothing to lose and possible all to gain.

agree.

But.... the procedure was carried out on a great aunt of mine. She had always been subject to fits of depression which would pass but gradually got worse and worse. After her third child what we would probably now call postnatal depression didn't lift. several years down the line and she was attempting suicide, having to be restrained, unable to do even minimal self care, begging her family to do something to Make It Stop. A lobotomy was suggested and her husband did his best to get informed consent from her, according to family legend she wanted the procedure in the hope she would die.

Mirabile dictu! the planets were aligned, the stars were favourable, the geese flew low over the lake etc etc etc and she survived and there was a measurable decrease in her symptoms and and increase in her happiness. She mothered her children, had another, was a gracious hostess and so on - which was all that was actually required in her role. When she revistited her family in England in the 1950s her sister, my grandmother, said it was like having the Thirza of about 1910 back again in terms of temperament, not in terms of intelligence.

One case doesn't make good law and I agree it shouldn't have happened. The exception I would make is like having access to experimental treatments for cancer after a certain point. Having little/nothing to lose and possible all to gain.

I quite agree about experimental treatments for those who have nothing to lose. And I do know that in a few cases lobotomies were successful. But the failure rate surely was unacceptable, especially since it would appear some at least were carried out without the patient's consent.

Sounds like The Stepford Wives...

Thirza is such an unusual name, by the way. Where is it from?

Lincolnshire. The three sisters were Agnes, Thirza and Irene. :)

My paternal grandma's name was Thirza. And she had a sister named Matilda. I have always thought that they were interesting names.

I read a book last year, "Patient H.M." by Luke Dittrich. It was about Henry Molaison who had a bilateral medial temporal lobotomy in the desperate hope that it would cure his epilepsy. He was not able to form new memories after and was used in many scientific studies regarding memory. Fascinating read, but very sad story.

But the book is also a history of the lobotomy procedure. During its period of popularity, surgeons would use people in asylums to practice their styles of the procedure. The doctors had pretty much free reign as to whom they would lobotomize.

Her family background was from Ireland, but her family moved to Canada. I think she was born in Canada as she was youngest of 11. She was born in the 1890's.

When I 'd first seen her name, I asked if it was spelled wrong. Apparently it was a version of Teresa.

Do you say it with a hard t (tur-za) or a th sound (thur-za)? Mine is the second.

Back