• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Prince of Wales inn Research

titch

Justified & Ancient
In "500 British Ghosts and hauntings" by Sarah Hapgood,she writes "The prince of wales inn once played host to a new idea in psychic investigation" Then goes on on to say how after the inn keeper had heard ghostly voices and organ music, electrodes where connected to the walls at night and tape recorders left running.

On play back the tape recorders revealed voices talking in old welsh,organ music and a clock ticking although there was no clock in the room.

A quick Google suggests that the noises sounded more like farting elephants then organ music and clocks ticking, and if the results where so spectacular i am sure this case would be more prominent then it is,has anybody ever heard the recordings? has anybody ever heard a farting elephant? Was this avenue of research ever continued with?

The writer who compared the sounds to a farting elephant was Dr Paul Lee who posts on this Message Board from time to time.

Perhaps he will see this query or you could try a Private Message. :)

A wag might suggest that Old Welsh sounds like a farting elephant anyway.

Hi,
I saw a link to my webpage from my weblogs and did a check, and here I am!

When I wrote my article in early 1998, I relied on the mention in one of Janet and Colin Bord's books that the recorded sound included that of a ticking clock, voices and so on. I reported it as fact. In late 1999 I was interviewed by the BBC for an audio show called "Ghost in the Machine." I can't remember if they played extracts of the tape there and then, but I heard an extract when it was eventually broadcast a little while later. It did sound like a "farting elephant" - a deep, gurgling, burbling noise, nothing like the voices/clocks/etc we had been led to believe. I was actually very surprised to hear the tape, so I amended my article accordingly. I remember the final BBC radio broadcast included part of an interview with one of the scientists who recorded the sound and for some reason, I found his reply (when asked what he thought the sounds were) of "We don't know" in his Welsh accent quite endearing :)

The radio show also had a comment from BBC Radiophonic lady Delia Derbyshire saying that she thought the sounds were feedback from the transformer. I can't swear to this last point as I haven't heard the radio show since 1999 and my own copy had dematerialised.

Interestingly, an FT correspondent says that the Prince of Wales/talking wall story is a hoax. This was about 2006 and is mentioned in my article - http://www.paullee.com/ghosts/sns_new.html

The lesson I have learned is this: never believe anything you read in books! Or indeed, the FT. I made mention of EM field meter readings being corrupted by the static picked up by aircraft. I checked up on this last year, and it was confirmed by a pilot friend, that aircraft are equipped with brushes that dissipate the build up of static. I felt such a bloody fool when I learned this. Now I always check what I write about!

A wag might suggest that Old Welsh sounds like a farting elephant anyway.

So might a prat.

I remember this or something very similar being on the news when it happened. The thing is I'm almost sure that the scientists involved were Japanese. I do remember that the tape was broadcast on TV and that I heard it. I don't recall what it sounded like just that it impressed me at the time, I was very young though.

Thank you for your reply drpaul, but i wonder if probing rocks with probey things is maybe a good idea even if this one didn't work out? IF there is any truth in the "stone tape theory" wouldn't it be a good idea to stick things into rocks n jiggle them about to see what happened?

I have a book "Electronic Projects From The Next Dimension", which describes a technique with which you can listen to the "sounds of the earth". Might be interesting at stone circles...

The Prince of Wales pub was featured briefly in last week's edition of Time Team. Sadly they did not see any elephants, flatulent of otherwise, unless you count Phil Harding :D

Back