• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Prisencolinensinainciusol

mikfez

Generally Bewildered
What language is this chap singing in?
The song is intended to sound to its Italian audience as if it is sung in English spoken with an American accent, vaguely reminiscent of Bob Dylan; however, the lyrics are deliberately unintelligible gibberish with the exception of the words "all right". Celentano's intention with the song was not to create a humorous novelty song but to explore communication barriers.
Link to Wikipedia Article

Like they mentioned on YouTube it is kinda catchy and i to like the dancing, if you didn't really listen for the words you wouldn't know that it was gibberish, there is the odd real word in there tho

It's English words, but the lyrics are completely nonseniscal. I saw an article a couple of days, I think it's this about this chap, who put the song together to show that Italian youth would like any pop song that was (apparently) in English...

I must be hard of hearing cause i honestly only made out one English word lol

I don't think it's even English words, it's how English sounded to this Italian without being able to speak it. If you're interested, comedian Mike Reid did a rockin' cover version of it later.

Yes, it is a famous song where the singer wanted to make a song which sounded as if it was in American English...or at least what American English sounded like to him
And Mike Reid's cover is great!

I don't think it's even English words, it's how English sounded to this Italian without being able to speak it. If you're interested, comedian Mike Reid did a rockin' cover version of it later.
Yep i would love to hear it, i will try and find it, any idea what it was called? X Tried, i canna find it

Last edited:
This song/video was popular on Twitter two days ago. I lost about an hour of my life learning about it.
https://www.npr.org/2012/11/04/164206468/its-gibberish-but-italian-pop-song-still-means-something

The song, called "Prisencolinensinainciusol," was written to mimic the way English sounds to non-English speakers.

Celentano, now 74 years old, says that he wanted to break down language barriers and inspire people to communicate more.

"Ever since I started singing, I was very influenced by American music and everything Americans did," he tells Guy Raz, host of weekends on All Things Considered, through interpreter Sim Smiley.

"So at a certain point, because I like American slang — which, for a singer, is much easier to sing than Italian — I thought that I would write a song which would only have as its theme the inability to communicate," he says. "And to do this, I had to write a song where the lyrics didn't mean anything."

:dpoo::ddance::hapdan:
Catchy.

Well I have now watched several versions and I don't have a favorite. The original was brilliant and the video to that one is very good. I love the video posted in the OP.

Being an old fart, I'm reminded of several things so I will annoy you all with a couple of fun videos that have little or nothing to do with the topic here.

Here's a video from a Japanese kids show, with a James Brown cameo at 2:00. I've never seen it in good resolution, but it's fun and slightly less freaky than the Teletubbies.

Back