• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Prismatic Stickers / Wallpaper / Art Paper?

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
{I'm ...} reminded of something I wondered about trying quite some years ago.

I might actually experiment with this now. What I have been looking for and having difficulty with finding is the material which is designed to reflect light, similar to a prism.

I don't know what it's called - it came to prominence in the 1970s (?) and as an extremely thin plastic would be found on badges and trinkets. Is it something like, 'laser etched' - opaque, reflective and maybe known as having a kaleidoscope-like effect?

Did I possibly see it now being available as wrapping paper?

What I am essentially wondering is if it also available as wallpaper.

Any advice greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what it's called - it came to prominence in the 1970s (?) and as an extremely thin plastic would be found on badges and trinkets. Is it something like, 'laser etched' - opaque, reflective and maybe known as having a kaleidoscope-like effect?
Dichroic plastic?

This sort of stuff?
il_fullxfull.268932631.jpg

Thank you and although not same, I am currently in the process of buying some 'more grown up' art materials - Daler Rowney acrylic paints, Tombow pens, etc. for my granddaughter and your suggestion duly added to list! Never heard of this previously and looks fascinating. :)
You can get dichroic glass, which is even more beautiful. It's made for stained glass and glass fusing purposes.

That... I believe is the very business... :eek:

Trying to work out how many rolls I would need.

It's less expensive than expected and how could a room entirely wallpapered in this not be awesome!

Thank you for taking the time and also your suggestion about a strobe light, which I hadn't thought of. :twothumbs::badge::hyper:

Update...Tesco gift bag @ 75p!

Bought three and time for some fun experiments. What happens if...

Although initially joking about your mention of no strobes, maybe try something (vastly downscaled!), along those lines - it's far too tempting.

Thought occurs that I initially struggled to describe this 'material' and thereafter we had various fine efforts to identify it.

It was weird and not often we are all familiar with something, yet nobody knows what it's called! :crazy:

IMG_20200927_084237_resize_42.jpg

Experiment 01.

A triangle of three gift bags with a mobile phone flashlight app.

Although expectedly rough, shows promise for full scale room model.

...in 5 4 3...
Great shout, we'll have that full volume, linked to strobe, as well! :)

I'm adding the following link, because until now and a look-up reminiscence there, I would absolutely have sworn unconditionally - taken an oath - only lyrics were the title.

Just myself, or anyone surprised?

Experiment 02.

Three gift bags with candle in a glass placed on one of them....carefully.

When the flame moves, there is a resulting shimmer effect from reflective surfaces.

If this were to be followed up with strict safety...

Even at this basic level, it's really nice situated on a small table where you might place a lamp.

Further development merited. :nods:

IMG_20200927_224433_resize_4.jpg

Alternatively and if you bring the bag's attached gift tag dlscs into play...

I guess the point being I always wondered what wallpapering an entire room like this would be like.

Nothing's put me off yet, although may just settle for something simpler - even this mock up looks cool and easily improved on vastly.

Have I missed my vocation in life...sophisticated interior design on a budget?

Or is just pure rubbish and better off buying a cheap lava lamp from Argos...! :loopy:

IMG_20200928_000642_resize_75.jpg

Back