• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Project Stargate vs. Stargate the movie

DaveTiger

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Just asking a question that has bothered me for a while, maybe someone can provide a sensible answer. I hope I've picked the right place to post this topic. Mods, feel free to move if need be.

Project Stargate, the remote viewing gov't program, supposedly lasted several years and ended in 1995, according to things online like wiki and others. The movie Stargate was released in 1994. Project Stargate was supposedly revealed to the public a while after the project ended. So where did the term "Stargate" come from?

Is it possible that the government used the term from the movie title, only naming it after it had been released? If so, why? It seems a bit obvious that if they named it after the fact then wouldn't the information they provided somehow be suspect?

Or is the reverse true? That somehow someone learned of the gov't program named Stargate and used that for the title of the film?

In 1981, apparently there was a video game named Stargate. Is that the answer?

Why did they name the Project Stargate if most activities were limited to the Earth locations? Am I being too picky about this?

Thanks, and best to all.

TD

Just coincidence, I think.
'Stargate' sounds catchy, that's all.

In the movie Stargate it's about an actual gate through the stars, a method of travel, nothing to do with remote viewing. Probably coincidence and the originators of Project Stargate were a pretentious bunch.

According to the Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction, the term Stargate was used by Andre Norton in the 1958 book of that name, and has been used many times since by multiple authors, including Arthur Clarke in 2001 (in 1968) and even by OA. So it seems to be a term which has been in common use for a long time.

eburacum said:
According to the Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction, the term Stargate was used by Andre Norton in the 1958 book of that name, ...
I'm pretty sure I read that one, when I was a kid. But, I don't remember much about it and I keep getting it mixed up with, 'Tunnel in the Sky' (1955), by Robert Heinlein. Star Gate, or Stargate, sounds a bit more exciting than the 'Ramsbotham Jump', though.

I may well have read that Andre Norton book too.

Back