• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Prometheus

Just read a review of what Prometheus is all about and it's a bigger pile of bollox than the pile of bollox you've watched.
Apparently the reason........

spoiler....

Why the Space Jockeys went nuts was that they sent a represenative down in our earlier history and guess what?......

Movies.com: We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it." Guess what? They crucified him.

Yeah. The reason the Engineers don't like us any more is that they made us a Space Jesus, and we broke him. Reader, that's not me pulling wild ideas out of my arse. That's RIDLEY SCOTT.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

QED - Prometheus is bollox. I rest my case.

Maybe he was going to play a Shoggoth?

I don't think he's a pliable enough actor to carry it off. :lol:

Also, I am so glad I saved my money now on not going to see Prometheus... kept almost going but the cinema times here are odd and it's never on when I feel like it... sounds like a right pile of krud.

BlackRiverFalls said:
I don't think he's a pliable enough actor to carry it off. :lol:

Frowns, looks grumpy (look two of a choice of three), shows perfect teeth.
"Tekeli-li tekeli-li!"

Mmmm I see what you mean.

jimv1 said:
Just read a review of what Prometheus is all about and it's a bigger pile of bollox than the pile of bollox you've watched.

spoiler....

Why the Space Jockeys went nuts was that they sent a represenative down in our earlier history and guess what?......

Movies.com: We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it." Guess what? They crucified him.

Yeah. The reason the Engineers don't like us any more is that they made us a Space Jesus, and we broke him. Reader, that's not me pulling wild ideas out of my arse. That's RIDLEY SCOTT.

When it comes to Prometheus, Scott really is full of shit.

Hogarth999 said:
jimv1 said:
[SNIP]

When it comes to Prometheus, Scott really is full of shit.
But he said they considered that idea, and rejected it. So that isn't the reason, just an idea they thought about for a while, and decided against.

Bollux aside, it is a good film and one that is worth seeing on a big screen.

That's pretty much my take on it. I've seen many an intricately-plotted, intellectually-challenging film that I haven't enjoyed nearly as much. It's not a documentary for God's sake, it's a movie. Watch and enjoy for that.

Just seen this. A fun evening out that made me jump out of my seat at the right places, but a vast number of plot holes/unanswered questions:

- what the hell was going on with the space jockey in the opening sequence?
- why did David decide to murder Dr Shaw's parmour (sorry, can't rememeber his name)
- presumably the Christmas Day/2000 years references indicate that Christ was the reason that the space jockeys turned on us. Why? Was Christ a space jockey or where they just annoyed that we'd found something else to worship?
- the space jockeys were recognisably humanoid, but were clearly not human. Why would their DNA be identical to ours? I wondered whether the point was going to be that human beings were a blend of space jockey and Alien DNA, and the opening sequence hitned at this, but then drew back from it
- why do the "Aliens" have such diverse physiognomy?

Lots of stuff that seems unanswered and which will presumably be addressed in the sequel and/or director's cut. Also agreed re: Guy Pearce: I'd assumed he was meant to be aged 130+, and kept alive by his company's medical technology, but the "Weyland Industries" website would have him at around 90 years old at the time the film was set - not unusually old, given the ridiculously OTT make-up and, as others have said, why not hire an older actor.

Great special effects though, and one of the rare films it's worth seeing in 3-D.

6/10

If I listed the problems I had with the script, I'd be here all day.

Suffice to say that I now know that the most important duty of a ship's Captain when the crew have come out of hypersleep and you're approaching an alien planet is to ensure the Christmas tree is put up.

Quake42 said:

Well, they take on the DNA characteristics of the creature that has the egg laid in it (e.g. in one film, an egg is laid in a dog and the alien takes on the dog's characteristics).

Also, some are queens, some are soldiers, etc. just like ants.

Mythopoeika said:
Quake42 said:

Well, they take on the DNA characteristics of the creature that has the egg laid in it (e.g. in one film, an egg is laid in a dog and the alien takes on the dog's characteristics).

No they're not. In the original film and the book the alien lays/makes eggs out of it's victims.

All that insectile stuff only came about with Cameron.

oldrover said:
Mythopoeika said:
Quake42 said:

No they're not. In the original film and the book the alien lays/makes eggs out of it's victims.

How does what I wrote contradict what you wrote?

It doesn't, I'm contradicting what you say about some aliens being queens etc.

oldrover said:
It doesn't, I'm contradicting what you say about some aliens being queens etc.

Aha. But the queen aliens were featured in some of the films.
Are you just talking about the original Alien film?

Whereas I am talking about them all.

Ah, but they weren't real aliens.

And to qualify that unusual use of the word real. I mean they weren't the original vision of O'bannon and Shusset, who as the people who created the concept of Alien get to define the thing.

It's like someone making a film called Frankensteins and changing the concept so that the monsters come out of pods or something.

Ghastly stuff.

I just thought Aliens were the supreme adapters, like the Thing, in the Carpenter movie. Able to adapt and reproduce under a variety of conditions.

And the giant queen in Aliens looked so spiffy!

What lays all those eggs?

Pietro_Mercurios said:
I just thought Aliens were the supreme adapters, like the Thing, in the Carpenter movie. Able to adapt and reproduce under a variety of conditions.

Exactly. That's what I thought too.

One Theory That Finally Explains What’s Going on in Prometheus

However you feel about Prometheus, one thing's for sure: This movie has inspired more arguments than any film in the past few years. What's it all about? Does it actually mean anything at all? David J. Williams, author of The Mirrored Heavens, The Burning Sky and the Machinery of Light, has a few theories that might just explain everything. About this movie, anyway.

"They became farmers in the seeds of stars; they sowed, and sometimes they reaped. And sometimes, dispassionately, they had to weed."

—Arthur C. Clarke, 2001

"... we were merely the lab rat they fed the super-pill to and forgot in the basement."

—Opponent1, from the Prometheus discussion board

To hear some talk about Prometheus you would think that Ridley Scott went senile and proceeded to inflict on us a movie about as comprehensible as a Dada painting viewed on LSD.

I beg to differ...

http://io9.com/prometheus/

This clarified the birth process for me. I'm still confused as to who was in the oval spaceship at the start.

545045_10150860258613837_1132010169_n.jpg

Oh, that's confused it for me now.
I haven't seen the film yet.

What are the zombies, coffins and squid doing in there?

Mythopoeika said:
Oh, that's confused it for me now.
I haven't seen the film yet.

What are the zombies, coffins and squid doing in there?

Squid? I thought it was Admiral 'It's a trap!' Ackbar and the other alien was a musician from the Mos Eisley cantina! I thought it was linking all sci-fi universes together!

I enjoyed it far more than most modern sci-fi but had numerous beefs with it.

Without spoiling the ending for anyone who has not seen it... I thought there was a point within the closing scenes where everything was coming together neatly and setting up what we already knew from Alien, i.e. a Space Jockey in a big chair with its chest burst open, someone/thing sending a beacon out into space...

But then, as with all modern sci-fi films they had to go and give it the ..."And then this happened... and then kablammo and this happened... booom! CGI in your face! Waaaaahhh!..."

I can understand the 'this is a different planet not the same one as the Nostromo lands on argument to get around all that, but it just seems stupid that they would do that.

Also the character who rampages like the incredible hulk and takes out all the background non-important characters... what was that? How come he just became super-human? Seemed like a simple plot device to cut the numbers down to just those who needed to be alive for the final reel.

A good effort, but once again proof that just because you can do fancy stuff with computers you don't have to... good old fashioned story on sets you actually believe your characters can touch wins every day.

Oh, and the medi-pod... less said the better...

Not a bad movie, not amazing either, enjoyable enough.

Everything to do with the 'squid' grossed me out... that was scarier than the alien proper!

And it was it just me, or were there hints that David actually had an unsavoury character? I know he's just following orders, but was there something about the way that was carried off that was just a bit more unpleasant than it needed to be?

Quake42 said:
Just seen this. A fun evening out that made me jump out of my seat at the right places, but a vast number of plot holes/unanswered questions:

- why did David decide to murder Dr Shaw's parmour (sorry, can't rememeber his name)
I think David's Lawrence of Arabia fixation led him to believe that his victim was willing to sacrifice himself in the name of knowledge:

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts".

Back