• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Prometheus

Neill Blomkamp currently stewing somewhere in Hollywood...

CinemaSins have a wonderful running gag about 'the Prometheus school of running away from things'

i.e. running away from anything in a straight line that could be avoided just by turning.

Whaaa...?
Noomi Rapace, who played “Dr. Elizabeth Shaw” in Prometheus, is officially not returning to reprise her role in Alien: Covenant, according to director Ridley Scott. This comes just a few months after Scott stated that Rapace would be coming back, although for a minor role. I guess they wrote that part out?

Rapace was the only human survivor from the 2012 sci-fi/thriller, alongside Michael Fassbender’s “David”, who is confirmed to return. Per Xposé, the direct also stated, “We’re still casting the main roles.”
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3378285/alien-covenant-loses-dr-elizabeth-shaw/

FOX PROVIDES A PROOF OF LIFE IMAGE FROM ALIEN: COVENANT

aliencovenantsuit.jpg

Last night, a Twentieth Century Fox employee took to the official Alien franchise Facebook page to close out Alien Day in the most appropriate way possible: with a sneak peek at the next installment in the series, the PROMETHEUS sequel/ALIEN prequel ALIEN: COVENANT, which is currently filming with original ALIEN director Ridley Scott at the helm.
http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/fox-provides-a-proof-of-life-image-from-alien-covenant-247
Written by Michael Green, Jack Paglen, and John Logan, ALIEN: COVENANT has the following synopsis:

Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world -- whose sole inhabitant is the "synthetic" David, survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

So the new plot is; arrive at a new planet which looks nice. Then Oh hell, it's the one we went to before and everybody died. Can't believe we forgot about that.

In fact the whole 'Alien universe' seems to involve the horridly insidious Wayland Yutami Company sending a series even of less appropriate missions to get hold of the increasingly less imaginatively portrayed Aliens. Presumably because throughout a succession of continuously more inane prequels and sequels, they've forgotten how badly it went the time before.

Why don't they just leave 'Alien', and what's left of Geiger's originally brilliant (but now tarnished by the banality of all the later productions) vision out of it. And just start from scratch with some new sets and creatures which match the quality of the scripts and stories.

images

Last edited:
The official prologue to Alien: Covenant introduces the crew of the mission as they gather for a final meal before entering cryosleep.

Set aboard the Covenant, a colonization ship on its way to a remote planet to form a new human settlement, the main crew (all couples) and their android, Walter, enjoy their final meal together before cryosleep.

Conceived by Ridley Scott and 3AM, directed by Luke Scott

I would have thought a 'no food or liquids to be consumed 12 hours prior to cryosleep' rule would be in place.

But surely they'd have to carb-up prior to hibernation? Pile in the pasta? Like bears.

Well, bears may not actually enjoy pasta, they'd probably prefer to chew on a nice slice of frozen spaceman before sleeping 'til spring. Unless they're Italian bears. Which is a scenario very-few people seriously consider.

Russian, Black, Brown, Grizzly or even polar. But never Italian....and that's why I'm on the big bucks sorry, in the big box

That cast has 2 comedians in it. Will it be a comedy horror?

worst fears confirmed ... franco and mcbride are always watchable ... not so scotts recent work

Crikey, mind blown: whatsername was only choking on a bit of her space dinner, not what you all thought.

What a completely unexpected twist :rolleyes: Good job there's a bit of dialogue following the slap on the back to make it absolutely clear what's just happened.

Nice photography, mind.

Edit: Actually, on second viewing in HD it's really just very competent. To my mind there's a distinct lack of atmosphere...nor is there any real sense of excitement or trepedation about the mission.

Cynicism and sarcasm may be unbecoming, but I've never forgiven Prometheus for hamfistedly sullying what to me was a thrilling and beautiful mystery; that is, the unknowable origins and unfathomable alieness of the 'space jockey' and his/her/its vessel.

Hmmph.

Last edited:
Yes, and that. :D

Although they kind of ripped the idea from Scooby Doo.

Certainly more sensible than Running Towards TBH.

She obviously was up for a challenge, like getting down the stairs before the toilet stops refilling.

She obviously was up for a challenge, like getting down the stairs before the toilet stops refilling.

Ha! Yes indeed. Very entertaining analysis of a very silly film...glad they picked up on the Scooby similarity too :)

Back