• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Prophecies Of St Malachy

DerekH16

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Apparently, St Malachy, an 11th-12th century Irish priest, came up with a list of Popes, with a short description of each.

Googling throws up many links (that almost appear to be copies of each other) about his prophecies and list of popes, along with 'explanations' for some of the cryptic descriptions.

However:
John Paul II's successor will be 'the glory of the olive' - peaceful? Benedictine? (aka Olivetan, apparently)

And then comes Petrus Romanus, during whose reign 'the seven-hilled city will be destroyed'.

And he's the last.....

There is much debate over the meaning of these prophesies, with each succesive Pope's description being open to interpretation, and easier to tailor to that description in HINDSIGHT, once they have been in office.

Hence the current Pope (as of 12/11/02) is portrayed as 'doing the work of the sun' as some think he has, or perhaps as 'toiling in the sun' in his younger days in Poland.

The next pope will be The Glory of the Olives, but that can be intrepreted in such a miasma of ways, that it will not become clear until that person is in office.

Some think he will be a bringer of peace, others that he will be a monster.

Not long to find out though, by the look of it.

RK Opteryx said:
The next pope will be The Glory of the Olives, but that can be intrepreted in such a miasma of ways, that it will not become clear until that person is in office.

Some think he will be a bringer of peace, others that he will be a monster.

Not long to find out though, by the look of it.

Don't be too sure about that last sentence. In Sept 97(!) FT ran an article about who-will-be-the-next-Pope, assuming it was just about to happen. Maybe the 3rd secret of Fatima is how to live to be a 150 years old.

BTW, it was a terrific issue, with a bunch of articles on the RC church, including a sidebar piece by Sieveking about St. Malachy. Also interesting looks at UFO photos and lake monster
theories. Dunno if it's available anywhere, though.

End of the World?

According to the predictions of St.Malachy there will only be two Popes after the current one.The next one will have some link with the Benedictine order.Is their any cardinal wih an olive as part of the coat of arms or has/had connections with the aforementioned order?
Given that the time is nigh for the current incumbent this must be of great concern to all of us mortals.

Interesting that the last prediction refers to the pope as Petrus Romanus and that he will have to walk over the dead bodies of priests as he leaves the vatican.Is it the case that the predictions,very accurate up to now in fairness,relate to the death of the formalised church rather than the end of civilisation as we know it?

[Edited by Moderator]

I think it probably relates more to the death of the Roman Catholic Church, than the end of the world, or the death of Christianity in general.

Assuming that Malachy was right (and, as is pointed out above, he has been disturbingly accurate so far), then the Papacy has only one or two generations to go. The RC Church is suffering from declining "membership", a loss of faith in the priesthood, and declining numbers of people wanting to become priests. Does this mean that Roman Catholicism will finally collapse. I doubt it.

Even if the Vatican were subsumed in a turmoil of fire tomorrow, the Catholic Church would probably survive. One of RC's strengths is that while it conquered the New World, it was forced to adapt to the New World in order to survive. The fact that it did is what makes it the dominant faith in South and Central America.

So my take on Malachy is that, unless the RC Church adapts to the changing attitudes of the world, the Papacy is in for a rough time. If the papacy falls, then the RC Church will still survive, but it will be forced to change, and may not look like the RC Church of today (in the same way that the RC Church of today does not look like the RC Church of the 13th Century).

Of course, I'm no expert: I'm an Anglican.

I think the start of the end for the Catholic church was the infamous *death* of Pope John Paul!

But it's nothing to do with prophesies or other-worldly influences, it's due to the Mafia and their cohorts infiltrating the Vatican.

are you guys

talking about the third secret of fatima?? didnt they release that recently and didnt alot of researchers "interested in that fatima prophecy stuff think it was "really not the true 3rd secret" huh?:confused:

i always thought it was so arrogant of the RC Church to declare their apocolypse as the apocolypse for everyone else, including non-Christians and Atheists.

ah they just need a new branding just like any successful business. a new take to con the poor people into parting with their money (your soul saved, money back guarantee!).

still if they are facing spiritual bankruptcy then maybe there is a god after all ....

i think the church will half-revert back to it's some-what former self. i hope it's the end of the world for a regime-like relgious hierarchy for the old RCC.

Re: are you guys

ruffready said:
talking about the third secret of fatima?? didnt they release that recently and didnt alot of researchers "interested in that fatima prophecy stuff think it was "really not the true 3rd secret" huh?:confused:

Whats that all about? I've heard odd bits but never been able to read up on the whole story....anyone got any linkage to a site where I can get a full picture?

http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp

Prophecy of St Malachy
When I read The Year of Three Popes by Peter Hebblethwaite (about the events of 1978 which saw the death of Paul VI, the election and death of John Paul I, and then the election of John Paul II) he mentions the spate of editorials in the Osservatore Romano and the spate of letters to the editor in the Times of London at the time of the conclaves about what the mottos attributed to the dead pope or the next pope by St Malachy in his prophecies. Enthralled, I went to the library and looked through the microfilm of the Times to read the letters myself. And then I tried to track down a copy of the prophecies. I have them reproduced below, as well as an explanation of them from the Catholic Encyclopedia. The prevailing view today is that they are elaborate forgeries, probably perpretrated by a school of Jesuits in the 1600s. This is based on the clear relation of the mottos to the various popes until that period, and the need to find oblique references (such as the motto of the Pope's home diocese) to make the particular motto fit the particular pope. The inclusion of anti-popes would also appear to militate against the authenticity of the prophecies. Nevetheless, as each new conclave comes and goes, people start to become a bit jittery about them. I think they are a bit of fun, and the semantic exercise of trying to fit the motto to the Pope that goes on in letters to the editor around the world is great reading!

According to the prophecy, the next Pope will be the second last Pope Gloria Olivae ("Glory of the Olives"). Will we see the return of an Italian to Vatican Hill? Or will it be a Frenchman or a Spaniard? Someone from Latin America, perhaps, the Glory of the Spanish New World?

(From the Catholic Encyclopedia 1913 edition)
The most famous and best known prophecies about the popes are those attributed to St. Malachy. In 1139 he went to Rome to give an account of the affairs of his diocese to the pope, Innocent II, who promised him two palliums for the metropolitan Sees of Armagh and Cashel. While at Rome, he received (according to the Abbé Cucherat) the strange vision of the future wherein was unfolded before his mind the long list of illustrious pontiffs who were to rule the Church until the end of time. The same author tells us that St. Malachy gave his manuscript to Innocent II to console him in the midst of his tribulations, and that the document remained unknown in the Roman Archives until its discovery in 1590 (Cucherat, "Proph. de la succession des papes", ch. xv). They were first published by Arnold de Wyon, and ever since there has been much discussion as to whether they are genuine predictions of St. Malachy or forgeries. The silence of 400 years on the part of so many learned authors who had written about the popes, and the silence of St. Bernard especially, who wrote the "Life of St. Malachy", is a strong argument against their authenticity, but it is not conclusive if we adopt Cucherat's theory that they were hidden in the Archives during those 400 years.

These short prophetical announcements, in number 112, indicate some noticeable trait of all future popes from Celestine II, who was elected in the year 1130, until the end of the world. They are enunciated under mystical titles. Those who have undertaken to interpret and explain these symbolical prophecies have succeeded in discovering some trait, allusion, point, or similitude in their application to the individual popes, either as to their country, their name, their coat of arms or insignia, their birth-place, their talent or learning, the title of their cardinalate, the dignities which they held etc. For example, the prophecy concerning Urban VIII is Lilium et Rosa (the lily and the rose); he was a native of Florence and on the arms of Florence figured a fleur-de-lis; he had three bees emblazoned on his escutcheon, and the bees gather honey from the lilies and roses. Again, the name accords often with some remarkable and rare circumstance in the pope's career; thus Peregrinus apostolicus (pilgrim pope), which designates Pius VI, appears to be verified by his journey when pope into Germany, by his long career as pope, and by his expatriation from Rome at the end of his pontificate. Those who have lived and followed the course of events in an intelligent manner during the pontificates of Pius IX, Leo XIII, and Pius X cannot fail to be impressed with the titles given to each by the prophecies of St. Malachy and their wonderful appropriateness: Crux de Cruce (Cross from a Cross) Pius IX; Lumen in caelo (Light in the Sky) Leo XIII; Ignis ardens (Burning Fire) Pius X. There is something more than coincidence in the designations given to these three popes so many hundred years before their time. We need not have recourse either to the family names, armorial bearings or cardinalatial titles, to see the fitness of their designations as given in the prophecies. The afflictions and crosses of Pius IX were more than fell to the lot of his predecessors; and the more aggravating of these crosses were brought on by the House of Savoy whose emblem was a cross. Leo XIII was a veritable luminary of the papacy. The present pope is truly a burning fire of zeal for the restoration of all things to Christ.

The last of these prophecies concerns the end of the world and is as follows: "In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Peter the Roman, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations, after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people. The End." It has been noticed concerning Petrus Romanus, who according to St. Malachy's list is to be the last pope, that the prophecy does not say that no popes will intervene between him and his predecessor designated Gloria olivoe. It merely says that he is to be the last, so that we may suppose as many popes as we please before "Peter the Roman". Cornelius a Lapide refers to this prophecy in his commentary "On the Gospel of St. John" (C. xvi) and "On the Apocalypse" (cc. xvii-xx), and he endeavours to calculate according to it the remaining years of time.

An update on the prophecies.

Review of "The Last Pope": A Fear-Mongering Appeal to Christian Viewers

To recognize that The Last Pope, a two-hour exercise in Christian hysteria, is nothing but fact-free fear-mongering exploitation is easy. To understand what exactly went wrong with the pseudo-documentary about the supposed prophecy of the popes produced by St. Malachy (sometimes spelled Malichy) requires much more effort. To write this review, I read documents in four languages: the original published version of the prophecies in Latin, the nineteenth-century book that created their modern legend in French, modern academic research into their origins in Italian, and various English-language resources. As is evident from the thin veneer of scholarship papering over the slapdash production of The Last Pope, which at times comes across as little more than a narrator reading conspiratorial blog posts at the audience, my research was (a) overkill, (b) more than anyone involved in the show’s production ever did, and (c) both more interesting than and a direct contradiction to the narrative presented on-screen.

But what worries me more is that the amateur internet sleuths who stand in for actual historians in the making of travesties like The Last Pope either really believe that they are doing actual historical research, or they and the History Channel which broadcasted it, don’t care. I’m not sure which is more frightening.

The Last Pope is the latest in a long line of History Channel pseudo-documentaries designed to generate fear among Christian viewers that the End Times are upon us. Past specials on Nostradamus, Fatima, nuclear war, disease, and other standard apocalyptic fears come along at regular intervals, and few are interesting enough to warrant much notice. They are repetitive and often quite dull, using the End Times fear-mongering as an emotional substitute for research and analysis, substituting cheap scares for the harder work of intellectual argumentation. This particular special is noteworthy for folding in Nostradamus and Fatima into a documentary that was supposed to focus on a prophecy of the end of the papacy, even though neither of the other supposed prophecies was about the end of the papacy. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/r...-a-fear-mongering-appeal-to-christian-viewers

Back