• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Protecting Ashkenazi Jewish Magic: Preservation Through Storytelling & History

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Preserving the olg Follore and using the beliefs in fiction.

Protecting Ashkenazi Jewish Magic: Preservation Through Storytelling and History
Gavriel Savit
Tue Mar 2, 2021 12:00pm

... I, however, am more concerned with the things that didn’t make the crossing.

There were many—all the secret recipes, all the art and artifacts. An entire architectural style was lost: the wooden synagogue, often highly figured and beautifully adorned. Perhaps a handful of examples remain in the world, and most of them are replicas.

If it was Jewish and it could burn, then they burned it.

I mourn the loss of the synagogues, of course, of the artifacts and recipes, but in the end, I am not an architect, or a chef. I’m a writer of fantasies.

What keeps me up at night is the loss of Jewish magic. And I mean this literally.

It’s sometimes hard to communicate to non-Jews the degree to which Jewishness is not just a religious identity. Founded as a nation roughly three thousand years ago, before the concepts of ethnicity, worship, and nationality were tidily separable, we are a people—a civilization more than anything else. The most traditionally observant Jews will persist in identifying people born to Jewish mothers as Jews even as they practice other religions and renounce the Jewish God. There are even Jewish atheists—a lot of them.

Our religion is submerged, then, in a thick broth of associate culture, and that’s why, despite the fact that the Hebrew Bible clearly prohibits the practice, we can still discuss Jewish magic just as easily as we can discuss Jewish atheism: it’s very clearly there.

From the ancient Near Eastern making of incantation bowls to the still-ongoing practice of leaving petitionary notes at the graves of sages, Jews have been practicing magic as long as we’ve been around. In some times and places, Jewish magic has been codified, elevated into theology and philosophy. Traces of this tendency exist in the Talmud, and notably in the various phases of Kabbalistic development throughout our diasporic history.

But these are the kinds of Jewish magic that haven’t been lost; anyone with a library card or an internet connection can find out about them. What I mourn is the loss of folk magic—the stuff too quotidian, too obscure, perhaps even too heterodox to have been recorded. We know it was there. We see traces of it in rabbinic responsa as well as secular literature: the way our grandmothers used to tie red thread to our bassinets in order to keep the thieving demons away; the way our grandfathers used to appeal to the local scribe for a protective amulet of angels’ names scratched out on a spare roll of parchment. ...

https://www.tor.com/2021/03/02/preservation-through-storytelling-and-history/

A misleading article.
Magic is strongly prohibited in Judaism, because it places power and belief outside of G-D.

There are practices such as amulets, reciting mantras, performing certain rituals...but they are not magic.
They are petitions to G-D to act to help rectify a person undergoing a tricky circumstance, petitions in the merit of the good deeds of those afflicted, or of someone wishing them well.
They are not widely used, and I cannot think of any instance when they would be used instead of prayer or an improvement in moral conduct, as a means for trying to change one's circumstance.

A misleading article.
Magic is strongly prohibited in Judaism, because it places power and belief outside of G-D.

There are practices such as amulets, reciting mantras, performing certain rituals...but they are not magic.
They are petitions to G-D to act to help rectify a person undergoing a tricky circumstance, petitions in the merit of the good deeds of those afflicted, or of someone wishing them well.
They are not widely used, and I cannot think of any instance when they would be used instead of prayer or an improvement in moral conduct, as a means for trying to change one's circumstance.

Well the Jewish author seems to disagree with you to some extent. Have you read the article in full to get the context?

there is the "Practical Kabbalah". A lot of this is using the secret names of G-d for various theurgic effects. Of course the alphabet itself was magical and fundamental to the creation of the universe, as seen in the Sefer Yetzirah. So, basically a lot of apotropaic magic involving written amulets, quotations from the Torah, magical squares, meditations on the permutations of the divine names for personal illumination and prophetic powers, blessings.. The whole thing went on steroids with later grimoires like the Key of Solomon, etc.

Check this out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsa_diNura#Etymology
You'd want:
https://www.amazon.com/Nightside-Ed...4908053&sprefix=mighstide+of+e,aps,294&sr=8-3
51yhuBw3BpL._SX294_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:
Well the Jewish author seems to disagree with you to some extent. Have you read the article in full to get the context?
Yes.
I am Jewish and he has got it wrong, simple as. It is not magic, and it is wrong to label it as such.

Magic draws power from the side of spiritual impurity.

Jewish ritual...whether Kabbalistic or not, is done as a petition to G-D.
It is not magic.

Last edited:
Yes.
I am Jewish and he has got it wrong, simple as. It is not magic, and it is wrong to label it as such.

It is not magic.

I think it's more a case of two Jews disagreeing on a point of Faith.

He would likely say you have it wrong.

Yes.

It is not magic.
I have to agree, the article originally posted is way overdramatized. Every culture has some folk-beliefs, often shared with other cultures, superstitions that are not related to specific spiritual beliefs. And every religion also has a mystical belief structure that will appeal to some members. The folk beliefs have waned as people became more educated, moved to cities, immigrated into a different culture. It's like saying how awful, we don't all live like the people in Fiddler on the Roof any more (dirt-poor, short-lived, uneducated...) This is just as true of people in say the north of England as it is for Ashkenasi. I'm sure that some people who study the Kabbalah practice some rituals that have as a goal a non-logical outcome. There is an entire (dwindling) branch of zen Buddhism that does the same. And I'm sure that as generations pass, the form of these rituals change. So I don't understand the point.

I have to agree, the article originally posted is way overdramatized. Every culture has some folk-beliefs, often shared with other cultures, superstitions that are not related to specific spiritual beliefs. And every religion also has a mystical belief structure that will appeal to some members. The folk beliefs have waned as people became more educated, moved to cities, immigrated into a different culture. It's like saying how awful, we don't all live like the people in Fiddler on the Roof any more (dirt-poor, short-lived, uneducated...) This is just as true of people in say the north of England as it is for Ashkenasi. I'm sure that some people who study the Kabbalah practice some rituals that have as a goal a non-logical outcome. There is an entire (dwindling) branch of zen Buddhism that does the same. And I'm sure that as generations pass, the form of these rituals change. So I don't understand the point.

It's perhaps overdramatised because the author is now preserving such folk magic beliefs in the fiction he writes.

He specifically makes the point that the folk magic he is talking about was much more in use in the Old Countries and has effectively died out.

Priests, Rabbis, Imams etc disapprove but folk magic and old spiritual beliefs are attached to the new religions in some areas. Less so at the present moment.

It's perhaps overdramatised because the author is now preserving such folk magic beliefs in the fiction he writes.

He specifically makes the point that the folk magic he is talking about was much more in use in the Old Countries and has effectively died out.

Priests, Rabbis, Imams etc disapprove but folk magic and old spiritual beliefs are attached to the new religions in some areas. Less so at the present moment.
Absolutely, people always search for control of the random.

I think it's more a case of two Jews disagreeing on a point of Faith.

He would likely say you have it wrong.

There is room for different approaches within Judaism i.e. the upcoming festival of Passover forbids eating leavened bread and related products during the festival.
But Ashkenazi Jews take it further and don't eat rice, whereas Sephardi and Mizrahi Jews can eat rice.

But the practice of magic, and calling it as such, it not only prohibited, but fundamentally opposed to Judaism.
There is no grey area.
The rituals/amulets/meditations still exist within Judaism, are practiced on occasion, but are not magic.

There is room for different approaches within Judaism i.e. the upcoming festival of Passover forbids eating leavened bread and related products during the festival.
But Ashkenazi Jews take it further and don't eat rice, whereas Sephardi and Mizrahi Jews can eat rice.

But the practice of magic, and calling it as such, it not only prohibited, but fundamentally opposed to Judaism.
There is no grey area.
The rituals/amulets/meditations still exist within Judaism, are practiced on occasion, but are not magic.

Perhaps you should take that up with the author of the article. You may comment on it at https://www.tor.com/2021/03/02/preservation-through-storytelling-and-history/

An interesting comment there already:
Interesting description of folk magic, reminds me a lot of Islamic folk magic, with the names on paper for healing, the threads to protect babies against demons. I’ll have to take a look at your book.

I don't know that the original article (no I didn't read the whole article) is really talking about Judaism as just religion? @Victory, excuse me for my ignorance, but it it possible to have a cultural practice that is Judaic and a religious practice that is Judiac? Many people (cultures) do have folk lore or folk practices that may not be strictly outlined in the religious practice. I often view the word "ritual" in either a religious connotation or a "magical" one, depending on the person using the word. My confusion with this is that most religions are just that and not a culture. Judaism is both.

I do recognize the word "magical" as a word that some people, who do not believe in one being who determines all, use for spiritual ritual. Damn computer connection...I had this better worded and my computer lost it. So that is how I am reading the article. I may be reading it wrong.

My question to anyone is, what is Ashkenazi Jewish? Is it a sect?

Last edited:
Season 4, episode 15 of the X-Files called “ Kaddish “, the program was about a Jewish woman who takes the dirt from her husband’s grave and makes a “ Golem “ that Scully and Mulder must stop.

Worried producers did not know if this was going to disrespect Jews, but this program received good reviews.

A Golem is based on Jewish mysticism.

My opinion is that all religions have some form of mysticism.

I can not think of any religion that does not.

... My question to anyone is, what is Ashkenazi Jewish? Is it a sect?

No, I'd say it's not exactly a sect in the sense that term is typically applied ...

During the Middle Ages, due to increasing migration and resettlement, Jews divided into distinct regional groups which today are generally addressed according to two primary geographical groupings: the Ashkenazi of Northern and Eastern Europe, and the Sephardic Jews of Iberia (Spain and Portugal), North Africa and the Middle East. These groups have parallel histories sharing many cultural similarities ... Although the two branches comprise many unique ethno-cultural practices and have links to their local host populations (such as Central Europeans for the Ashkenazim and Hispanics and Arabs for the Sephardim), their shared religion and ancestry, as well as their continuous communication and population transfers, has been responsible for a unified sense of cultural and religious Jewish identity between Sephardim and Ashkenazim from the late Roman period to the present.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_diaspora

For more details see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkenazi_Jews

... My opinion is that all religions have some form of mysticism.
I can not think of any religion that does not.

It is true that most, if not all, major religions have served as the starting point for development of mystical or esoteric groups and beliefs. For example, Gnosticism (in multiple forms) emerged from early Christianity and Sufism emerged from Islam. It is not the case that the mainstream or core elements of these religions always or necessarily embraced or approved of these mystical (etc.) spin-offs. At one time or another these derivative belief systems have suffered ostracism and suppression from the mainstream or traditional religious establishments.

I don't know that the original article (no I didn't read the whole article) is really talking about Judaism as just religion? @Victory, excuse me for my ignorance, but it it possible to have a cultural practice that is Judaic and a religious practice that is Judiac?

If you have ever eaten a Bagel, then you have taken part in a Jewish cultural practice!

[/QUOTE]

My question to anyone is, what is Ashkenazi Jewish? Is it a sect?

Not a sect.

@ramonmercado posted the Wikipedia link, but in a nutshell Jews are from many ethnicities.

In terms of Jewish demographics, and of religious thought and literature, the largest and most influential groups are

Ashkenazi (decent from Western, Northern, Central and Eastern European Jews from roughly 1000 years ago)

Sephardi (descent from the Jews who lived Spain and Portugal up to the expulsion in the middle ages, then mainly moved to Greece and Turkey and to an extent Italy)

Mizrahi (historically North African and Middle Eastern Jews who lived in Arab countries, with the exception of Yemeni Jews who have their own customs)

Each of these groups has it's own customs and interpretations of religious laws, and style of synagogue service, which are minor differences.

There are many other ethnicities within Judaism, most high profile being Yemeni, Uzbeki (Bukharian), Iranian and Ethiopian.

Back