• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Protective Amulets, Charms & Talismans

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm sure this has happened before:

Nigerian herbalist shot dead as anti-bullet charm fails

Wed Dec 17,11:55 AM ET Add Offbeat - AFP to My Yahoo!

LAGOS (AFP) - A traditional doctor in central Nigeria has been shot dead by a patient who was testing the potency of an anti-bullet charm the herbalist had prepared for him, police told AFP.

Ashi Terfa died when patient Umaa Akor fired a gun at his head two weeks ago in south-central Benue state, police spokesman Bode Fakeye said Wednesday.

"Akor went for an insurance against bullets and contacted Terfa to prepare it for him," he said.

"To confirm its efficacy, the herbalist tied the charm around his neck and insisted that Akor should fire a gun at him. The experiment proved fatal for the herbalist and his skull was shattered," he added. "He died immediately".

Fakeye said the suspect had appeared in court for culpable homicide, but had been release on bail.

"The motive to kill could not be established against the suspect since the herbalist asked him to shoot to test the charm," he added.

The belief in withcraft and charms is rife in Africa.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1517&e=15&u=/afp/nigeria_crime_offbeat

Amulets work

Science "accepts" amulets

01/12/2004 14:35
In the course of thousands of years, superstitious people have been carrying amulets and talismans with them in order to protect themselves from evil spirits.

Skeptics regard such objects as pure rubbish while true believers sincerely think that a tiny pebble or a piece of wood is really capable of protecting a person from evil spirits and bring luck. Recent scientific studies however proved the existence of amulet's power. The studies revealed that an amulet can really "work" in the hands of a true believer.

There exist myriad of spells, amulets, talismans and lucky charms in various cultures. Talismans are considered to be integral counterparts not only in Pagan cultures but in Christian cultures as well. Tattooed crosses, icons and parts of the Sacred Land are all talismans and amulets which are treasured with respect.

In Islam for instance, a picture of Fatima's hand (sister of the Prophet Muhammad) served as the protection charm. In Buddhism and Hinduism various objects tend to serve as amulets and talismans. In Judaism for instance, the famous David's cross (a six speared star) is the main talisman.

A group of scientists from the Hertfordshire University decided to test from a scientific stand point the overall effectiveness of various amulets. The research was conducted under the direction of psychology Professor Richard Weissman. As a result, scientists were able to conclude that talismans and amulets do in fact "work", but only in the hands of true believers.

100 people participated in the experiment. Each one of them was given a penny of Victorian embossing. It is believed that this coin brings luck and helps in multiplying one's fortune. In the course of one month, volunteers had been marking the level of day's luck. As it turned out, about 30% of all the participants gained self confidence and calmness. More so, those people discovered that they had been luckier at work with their talismans than without them. They claim that their luck doubled after they started carrying the lucky penny.

People susceptible to different sorts of superstitions have all acknowledged talisman's magnificent qualities. Some skeptics however participating in the same experiment remarked no substantial changes in their luck.

Nonetheless, 70% of the same group of volunteers expressed their strong desire in continuing to carry the lucky penny with them at all times, just in case!

http://english.pravda.ru/science/19/94/377/11760_amulet.html

Emps

Last edited by a moderator:
So, does this mean I can make a ring like the GREEN LANTERN's and in turn, I will gain his powers?

AWESOME!!!

WW

WonderWoman said:
So, does this mean I can make a ring like the GREEN LANTERN's and in turn, I will gain his powers?

AWESOME!!!

Yep but I would recommend you don't try:

1. Jumping off high places.

2. Taking on armed criminals.

3. Stopping speeding trains, falling aircraft.

4. Thwarting supervillians.

Until you have come to terms with the 'extent' of your new powers.

Emps

Well ok then, but I see no point in having that ring if I can't use it to my advantage.

lol

WW

Emperor said:
Yep but I would recommend you don't try:

1. Jumping off high places.

2. Taking on armed criminals.

3. Stopping speeding trains, falling aircraft.

4. Thwarting supervillians.

Until you have come to terms with the 'extent' of your new powers.

Emps
lol, it's Normal Man to the rescue. All the powers of your average middle aged male but he wears a strange, multi-colored, rubber suit!

WonderWoman said:
and his sidekick- THE AVERAGE AVENGER!!!

WW-lol
lol, yes, they join forces to fight the evil deeds of Mediocre Menace!

The dud duo leap into action against the dreaded Wheelclamper and his bodyguards the Community Police!

Makes me think of the old joke -

Man walks into a bar and tries to sell an amulet.
Customer: What's it do then?
Man: Protects you against crocodile attacks!
Customer: But there's no crocodiles around here.
Man: See? It's that damn good!

A humiliating experience I had was when I met a girl who was wearing a protective charm pouch I had made and sold at a craft fayre the previous year. I recognised it, but didn't tell her that I had made it (it contained all sorts of herbs and shit). I was bloody glad I never said anything too - she began to tell me that in the last year she'd been run over, her kidney had all but given up and that several people she knew had been killed or died.

If it had been me I'd have taken the charm of doom off and stamped on the bleedin thing.

Don't know how I kept my face straight.....

This is an odd (and rather difficult to read) article:

The powerful 'Utol' Jess

Posted: 11:31 PM (Manila Time) | Apr. 26, 2004
Inquirer News Service

MEMBERS of Haring Bakal (King Iron) in Lipa, Batangas hold Jess Verallo in high esteem. I learned that among amulet aficionados, there is a hierarchy of the powers that people possess, and Jess' occupies one of the highest ranks.

Before the blessing, we listened to members' stories about the powers of their amulets. Jess related how, on one occasion, he was threatened by a group of armed men. Alone and armed only with a bolo (machete), he said an oracion or secret prayer, and the men suddenly scampered away.

I asked why, and he said they might have seen something. He did not elaborate. I suspect he was referring to the powerful spirit guides he could call in times of danger.

On another occasion, an anting-anting (amulet) owner showed him his mutya (talisman), boasting it was very powerful. Jess put the object into his mouth and bit it. The mutya crumbled like powder. When told about it, the owner said, "Maybe it's your teeth that got broken."

Jess handed the broken amulet to him and the man shouted, "Oh, it's a fake!" He invited Jess to his house and asked for the oracion used to break the mutya.

Temple of God

Jess said he used no oracion or power word. "My amulet is in my very person, because my body is the temple of God," he explained.

Jess' reputation as a possessor of unusual powers was sealed when he revived his niece who drowned while swimming in a lake. She drowned at 7 a.m. and the lifeless body was recovered at 11 p.m. Jess summoned the girl's spirit to return to her body and she revived. Until now, the girl is still alive. This story has been told and retold in the village and beyond.

Another incredible story was told to us by a member of Verallo's group. "One day," he said, "a jeep's brakes [failed while the vehicle was going down a] steep road leading to the house of Jun Verallo. Jess was driving a jeep going up the same hill. The driver kept shouting, 'I have no brakes! I have no brakes.' " Before the vehicle could hit Verallo's jeep, so the story goes, it stopped and remained motionless until Jess could swerve to the side to avoid a collision. The jeep then continued to go down hill and crashed.

"My dream," Utol Jess said, "is to put on the right path all who ask help from me. I do not want even one of them to be taken advantage of or be in danger."

Jess now has followers throughout Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao.

History of Haring Bakal

Very little is known about the history and background of Haring Bakal. According to Jess Verallo, it began in Mindanao in the late 1800s. It was founded by Dodong Aquilino Lagari Gulang.

The organization aims to protect the weak and those whose lives are threatened by dangerous elements, to fight evil and help the government. To be protected, one has to join the brotherhood. A member has to be blessed. The blessing includes being hacked with a very sharp bolo or a sword several times in different parts of the body.

The number of times one gets hacked determines his ranking or status in the brotherhood. Initially one gets six strikes, later 21, then 36 and finally, 57, for a total of 120. The 36 strikes include the nape and the 57 strikes include the two sides of the neck as well as the head.

Once a person has been properly blessed by an authorized "blessor," he becomes a member of Haring Bakal. He will then receive a prayer to be said every day and has to wear a special red T-shirt on which are written sacred words or oracion of protection. This becomes the member's only anting-anting or amulet. Members of Haring Bakal, unlike other amulet believers, do not carry medallions or other metallic or wooden amulets in their body. They believe the oracions, which are taken from the Holy Book and come directly from God, protect them from knives and bullets, and even sorcery and accidents.

Every new member recites the Oath of Allegiance that says, among other things, he will "love God and obey His commandments, instill the spirit of Christianism and to serve and defend my country without mental reservations."

When founder Dodong Lagari died, no one was appointed to replace him as overall head. It remains vacant and members still consider him the head of the organization. The others are called chapter heads or presidents but a head "blessor" is higher than a president.

Clearances

Before one is initiated into the organization, he must submit clearances from the police, National Bureau of Investigation and barangay (village or neighborhood). He should also have a drug clearance.

News of Haring Bakal members' ability to ward off bullets and knives has led to a significant increase in membership. Especially eager to join are military and police personnel whose lives are always in danger. Today, estimates of Haring Bakal membership throughout the Philippines range from 300,000 to one million.

Members strictly adhere to a code of ethics requiring them to protect, not to harm, people. Violators are expelled. Some of those expelled later formed their own organizations and adopted some of the rituals and practices of Haring Bakal. Thus, it is not easy to determine overall membership.

http://www.inq7.net/lif/2004/apr/27/lif_22-1.htm

I'd still recommend bullet proof vests or they could end up like the various people mentioned here who used anti-bullet chamrs that haven't worked although it might just be an excuse to kick a policeman I suppose.

Cops get a kick from monk's tattoos

From correspondents in Bangkok
September 13, 2004

BUDDHIST Thai soldiers and police are flocking to a temple in the kingdom's restive south seeking special tattoos to protect them from the violence that has rocked the region this year, media reported.

The head monk of Pattani's Sathit Chonlantan temple has been so overwhelmed by requests for the religious tattoos that he has had to abandon the traditional hand-tapping method and buy a tattoo machine, according to the Bangkok Post.

"Every day since January there are people asking for tattoos," Abbot Phra Chaiya Opaso was quoted as saying, adding he estimated the number of uniformed clients who had received the free service to be in the thousands.

The tattoos, which often include Buddha images, are believed to have supernatural powers protecting the wearer from physical harm, and do not start to function until the head monk has given the recipient a firm kick with his right leg, the daily reported.

Those who did not want to go under the needle could also reportedly use a special bullet shell filled with 108 herbs and blessed by the monk.

A Muslim insurgency raged in the south until the 1980s, but attacks had dropped off until January when a raid on an army weapons depot killed four soldiers and heralded a new wave of violence.

A policeman gunned down in Pattani province Saturday became latest victim of the rising unrest, which has claimed nearly 300 lives this year.

-----------------------
Agence France-Presse

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,10750411%5E13762,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is being established to contain diverse posts relating to charms, talismans and / or other icons or objects believed to protect someone.

An ancient amulet designed to protect against the evil eye was discovered in Israel 40 years ago, and it's now been turned over to Israeli archaeological authorities.

EvilEyeAmulet-Israel-2106.jpg
Ancient 'magical' amulet used to ward off the 'evil eye' rediscovered after 40 years

A bronze amulet inscribed with the name of God and magical symbols for protection against demons and the curse of the "evil eye" has been turned over to authorities after being unearthed in northern Israel 40 years ago.

The amulet, which would have once been worn on a necklace, is thought to date to about 1,500 years ago during the Byzantine period, according to the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) . ...

This type of amulet was relatively common at the time in the Galilee region and what is now Lebanon; they are sometimes known as a form of the "Seal of Solomon," named after the legendary Israelite king. One side shows a figure of a rider on a galloping horse whose head is encircled with a halo, thrusting a spear downward onto a female figure lying on her back. A Greek inscription engraved above the rider's head reads, "The One God Who Conquers Evil," and the name of God in Greek letters — I A W Θ — is inscribed beneath the horse's legs.

The other side depicts an eye pierced by arrows and a forked object. The eye appears to be threatened by the figures of two lions, a snake, a scorpion and a bird below it, and an abbreviation in Greek letters meaning "One God" is inscribed above it. ...

The amulet was found at the site of the ancient Jewish settlement of Arbel around 40 years ago by a founding member of a nearby moshav, a type of cooperative farming community established by Israeli pioneers in the 1920s.

A family member of the finder, now deceased, recently handed over the amulet to the Israel Antiquities Authority, and Klein encouraged people with similar treasures to do the same. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/evil-eye-amulet-rediscovered-israel.html

A Roman-era silver phallic pendant discovered in Kent is representative of amulets used to ward off evil and misfortune.

Metal detectorist in UK finds ancient Roman penis pendant

A metal detectorist recently discovered a silver, penis-shaped pendant in Kent, England that was likely worn around the neck to protect a person from misfortune around 1,800 years ago.

Ancient Roman writers such as Marcus Terentius Varro (lived 116 B.C. to 27 B.C.) and Pliny the Elder (A.D. 23 to 79) mention how the phallus and representations of it are thought to have had the power to protect a person from evil. Many depictions of the phallus have been found throughout the Roman Empire and scholars often believe that they were created to avoid bad luck.

The pendant (also called an amulet) is about 1.2 inches (3.1 centimeters) long, with a tiny ring at the top for a string (necklace) to go through. It dates back to a time when the Romans controlled England, between A.D. 42 and 410.

While such amulets in the shape of a penis were frequently seen throughout Roman Britain, they are typically made of copper-alloy rather than silver like the one from Kent, Lori Rogerson ... wrote in a report ... on the artifact. ...

"Being a higher-quality metal than copper-alloy, silver may have been thought to strengthen the phallus' protective abilities" ... "We know that children were protected by these apotropaic [having the power to stop evil] devices, and the archaeological evidence suggests their use in Britain was very popular within the Roman army." ...

Roman men, women, children and even animals wore pendants like this, in an effort to ward off the so-called evil eye, said Cyril Dumas, a scholar at Musée Yves Brayer who has researched and written about these artifacts. "This amulet is against the effects of 'the evil eye,' a personification of bad luck,"
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/roman-penis-pendant-found-uk

PAS (Portable Antiquities Scheme) Report: https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/1035209

I've been give two allegedly protective items of 'jewellery' by close friends. One is a silver Libra pendant from a lady, the other is a somewhat curious cross from a bloke. I don't quite know where the pendant is, although I kept it around for a long time. I do know where the cross is.

But I guess they don't work unless you actually wear them.

I've been give two allegedly protective items of 'jewellery' by close friends. One is a silver Libra pendant from a lady, the other is a somewhat curious cross from a bloke. I don't quite know where the pendant is, although I kept it around for a long time. I do know where the cross is.

But I guess they don't work unless you actually wear them.

ooooh! can you show us the cross? And a :twothumbs: for Libra! The only non-animate sign in the zodiac....

Back