• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Protopterygotes / Sky Rods / Sky Fish

But not necessarily in the same relative location within the image (center; top left; etc.)?

No, all over the place, but always seemingly in the sky part.

And before I or anyone else thinks that such a synthesis might usefully be more optically-perceptive than a....camera, surely a Pi Zero is one of these incredibly-decluttered minimalist IoT SBCs-the-size-of-a-matchbox? I'm going to guess (and, as you know, I'm not cheating by checking) that this single board computer may not exactly be awash with lots of RAM (ie if it glitches during any proper processing process....expectedly) resulting, quite possibly, in flawed outputs, well....kind of quite-like these pictures.

Indeed - it's hobbyist hardware that's so underpowered that it takes it about eight seconds to take a high-res photo. And I have it taking one every 20 seconds, so glitches are to be expected. It's fun that said glitches are always 'flying' through the sky though.

What's the file format, @taras ? I'm not an expert but I guess most picture file formats save as an array of numbers representing pixels, reading from left to right, with breaks at the width of the photo. So if it's taking a long time to save, maybe some corrupt numbers are getting through while writing to 'disk' (I guess an SD card?) and are showing as horizontal lines because of the file format. Do you ever get lines going across breaks like this?

........****

I would much prefer an inter-dimensional paraphotonic sprite, but I'm not holding my breath....

'Green 'ghosts' seen above sprites'

I know, no connection.(it's from Spaceweather) but I thought I'd throw it out anyway.

As for pictures of moving objects, My Pentax and a flash is pretty useful.

I'd go with 'glitch' on this. Close up, it looks pretty sharply defined with no anti-aliasing.
The cameras on those boards are a bit 'bottom dollar'. Try it with a different camera.

I would also have said an error in the digitisation.

No sign of the 'wings' that are often shown.

Aren't there some pictures from a deep hole-in-the-ground somewhere in a jungle that shows some better pictures ?

One of my 'guilty pleasures' - or at least it would be if I wasn't immune to feeling guilt - is watching "Paranormal : Caught on Camera" on the Blaze TV channel. Always fun - but the latest edition I saw (on Saturday 26th June) had a selection of cctv captures featuring a phenomenon they referred to as 'Sky Fish'.

I have never heard the term before. IIRC they showed at least 4 examples, and there was a definite similarity between them. One of them was notably different to the others, seeming to show what they described as looking like an illuminated rod-like 'entity' (a bit like a fluorescent strip light but without the glass tube) which behaved like it might have had some sentience, and which hovered around and moved erratically in front of someone's security camera. It stayed vertical-ish but at a slight slant as it moved around, seemingly without any visible means of support.

The other examples shown were faster moving, flashing across the screen like some sort of brightly illuminated projectile. One seemed to pass very close to - or maybe even THROUGH - a passer-by. The images were blurry, of course, but some of them looked like they might have had a sort of corkscrew-like structure.

So... I was wondering if anyone else has heard of these things? Tbh they didn't really come across as necessarily alive. More like possibly random flashes of some sort of energy. The speculation on the programme was along the lines of perhaps they might be indications of 'trans-dimensional' beings that briefly intrude into our reality. Of all the things they've presented on that show, these were among the less startling, but I was particularly intrigued by a phenomenon that was new to me that seems to have been captured a few times by different camera sources.

One of my 'guilty pleasures' - or at least it would be if I wasn't immune to feeling guilt - is watching "Paranormal : Caught on Camera" on the Blaze TV channel. Always fun - but the latest edition I saw (on Saturday 26th June) had a selection of cctv captures featuring a phenomenon they referred to as 'Sky Fish'.

I have never heard the term before. IIRC they showed at least 4 examples, and there was a definite similarity between them. One of them was notably different to the others, seeming to show what they described as looking like an illuminated rod-like 'entity' (a bit like a fluorescent strip light but without the glass tube) which behaved like it might have had some sentience, and which hovered around and moved erratically in front of someone's security camera. It stayed vertical-ish but at a slight slant as it moved around, seemingly without any visible means of support.

The other examples shown were faster moving, flashing across the screen like some sort of brightly illuminated projectile. One seemed to pass very close to - or maybe even THROUGH - a passer-by. The images were blurry, of course, but some of them looked like they might have had a sort of corkscrew-like structure.

So... I was wondering if anyone else has heard of these things? Tbh they didn't really come across as necessarily alive. More like possibly random flashes of some sort of energy. The speculation on the programme was along the lines of perhaps they might be indications of 'trans-dimensional' beings that briefly intrude into our reality. Of all the things they've presented on that show, these were among the less startling, but I was particularly intrigued by a phenomenon that was new to me that seems to have been captured a few times by different camera sources.
Sounds a lot like 'rods', which have their own thread.

This most recent discussion has now been merged into the existing thread on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mytho. Yes, that does look like the same kind of thing. Definitely the 'corkscrewy' looking ones, anyway. The last thing posted on that thread (on 5th June 2020) is a video of some deranged people jumping into huge holes in Mexico and it shows very similar things that appear to be some kind of insect - but quite an odd-looking one - zipping around in air. I suppose an entomologist might be able to shed light on what they are.

However, the thing they featured on "P:COC" that looked like a fluorescent strip light is quite dissimilar to those corkscrew ones though - it isn't zipping around but hovering quite steadily and jerking around in a rather un-insect-like manner - but tbh that one was probably some kind of weird reflected light effect (he said, half-heartedly summoning up his deeply-buried inner sceptic).

That description does sound a lot like the "Roswell Rods" which sadly was a red herring, and not the flying kind.

Back