• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Protopterygotes / Sky Rods / Sky Fish

Quick query on this subject.

Does anyone recall a small article in FT about something similar. I'm familiar with Rods, though haven;t seen one myself, but reading this thread triggered a memory of something I read.

I remember the short, almost note like article, possibly in the postbag, from a woman saying that there are creatures all around us made entirely from air.

She said that humans would acknowledge their existance in the near future, and their discovery would be themost important one of it's kind.

She never mentions the word Rod, just that the creatures are made of air.

Does anyone recall this?

Yes, I remember the letter, it was weird, I had the impression of creatures like giant white blood cells flying around! Very mad indeed. A note from the editor beside it assured readers that it had been reproduced exactly as we saw it.

I think these rod-like objects/creatures could well exist on air etc. I know this sounds stupid but there are things in the ocean which basically live on things they shouldn't, worms that do not need oxygen, creatures living in boiling springs etc. These rods do seem to be everywhere and their actions are almost playful. One video shows a young girl skipping and one rod, which appears to be about a foot long is just whizzing around her as she is skipping. It really is insect-like and certainly many UFO photographs seem to show darker coloured rods. These things could live off vapur, gases or whatever, something could exist so strangely that it would be sensational, and almost unbelievable. Let's face it though, the ocean has to be explored because there are very, very bizarre things there, and the same could be said for the immediate sky around us. i think we are too concerned with conquering space instead of exploring our own world for answers.

They could maybe be living on some sort of air. But it would make more sense if it was photosyntesis I think.

As for playful, I haven't seen the videos. What do you mean. If you drop something into the water, all the fish will flee. But a little while later they will all come back and have look at what it was. Someone talked about how sky creatures might do the same.

So where can I find any videos of this?

The videos are on the roswell rods link.

I have to say, they look like something that is easier to draw than a flying saucer and I havent' seen any evidence that couldn't be whipped up in 20 minutes on photoshop.

has anyone ever considered the possibilitys of sky fish and fairy sightings being linked??? im sure if i saw one of these things in a forrest or something id be convinced i saw a fairy

FT155/8 reports that insect flight still baffles boffins. These rods do look insect-like, but could perhaps be technology that utilises insect-type wings. I see that most have two pairs of wings, but some have three.

But since we see insects, however fast they fly, why don't we see these thingies? Are they stealth surveillance machines?

This is very interesting. I've just looked at the website and watched the videos etc.

The objects shown in the videos look more like something based on an Archimedian screw than the thing shown in the animation.

The animation shows a creature equipped with vertical tail surfaces. This is strange because, as far as I know, no bat, bird or insect has vertical flying surfaces. The nearest thing to a vertical fin I know of is the head rudder of the prehistoric pteradons.

I do know of RPVs that have a wingspan of as little as 7" though....

Anyone got any more info?

If these rods are really solid entities that travel at incredibly high speed I'd imagine they'd do some serious damage if ever they struck anything.
The archimedian screw mentioned above got me thinking - was the video referred to taken from the space shuttle? I recall seeing an odd "worm-like" entity on film taken from orbit which was travelling very slowly.

I couldn't see any Archimedean Screw.

But if these rods have 4 (or 6) insect type wings, each wing separately controlled, no 'rudder' would be needed.

Nobody mentioned "rudder" except to say that the pteradons were equipped with a vertical fin on their heads that may or may not have been used as a rudder.

The point I was trying to make was that if these things were man made then they would very probably employ vertical tail surfaces as shown in the animation.

Stable, controlled flight for man made objects without vertical tail surfaces can be very difficult and the smaller you get the harder it becomes. Take a look around at man made aircraft and you'll find most have vertical fins, with one or two recent exceptions which I'm sure you'll sieze on. Nevertheless, stable flight without vertical fins is very difficult.

It's the degree of articulation and instantaneous control that birds and insects have that enables them to do away with any vertical tail surface. This is something that, thanks to computers, is filtering through to man made aircraft. Some modern military aircraft have such a rearward centre of gravity that control by the pilot alone is impossible. Without the computer making corrections moment on moment the thing would crash, whoever the pilot! The reason it is done, amongst others, is to gain a large increase in maneuverability.

I've looked at the video again and am bound to say that it's just like all the supposed UFO footage. It's impossible to tell anything concrete. And, provided you don't let the animations influence you, they still look like archimedian screws. Funny how a lot of the video footage shows them "flying" in a parabola, as though they were thrown in from out of screen perhaps.. They look like a length of swarf on a stick to me matey, being swung around on a bit of nylon monofilament on occasion! And as for the squid connection.. oh what's the point. There are plenty of other holes in all this but I'll be here all night if I start down that road, suffice it to say I think the whole thing is a crock off s**t.

Breakfast is probably right:

Breakfast said:
The videos are on the roswell rods link.

I have to say, they look like something that is easier to draw than a flying saucer and I havent' seen any evidence that couldn't be whipped up in 20 minutes on photoshop.

I sincerely hope I'm completely wrong and that these things are something new and wonderful in our world, but I have to say I doubt it. Shame when everything you hope and pray to be true turns out to be just a bit of a wheeze by someone...

Do these things appear to be globally dispersed or confined to certain habitats like most species, if they are not then why don't more of them show up in photographs, or maybe they do, maybe that's what 'orbs' are?

It is apparently possible to bend light using powerful electromagnets which is assumed to acheive an effect not unlike invisibility, maybe something could evolve a method like this as a species trait but its a long shot.

All the best,

Randall

I don't think you need invisibility. Just being able to change your colour should be enough. Have you seen what the squids can do? No chameleon comes close to that.

Rods programme

No not a programme about the bloke down the road! On Monday 10th June at 9pm Sky One will be showing a documentary about Rods if anyone's interested. I was tempted to put this in the Cryptozoology section as its my belief that Rods are a new species of insect. Should be an interesting show:)

Documentary on rods tonight

Sky One, tonight - an interesting looking doc on the "rod" phenomenon (lots of video footage of mysterious rods whizzing about the place at great speed). On at 9pm, I think. Remember seeing a couple of stills a little while ago (in FT?). Does anyone know anything else about them? Theories about what they are etc?

Foul Ole Ron started a thread on rods a week ago. They dont actually know what they
are, every time one would hit the ground it would hit with a splash, all they know is that
they are composed of salt water. They do have the ability to go in and out of the ocean,
and travel at high speeds. I've put up links to videos and pictures, if that helps at all???

Thanks for the links you posted in my original thread Tastyintestines (what an unusual and slightly disturbing name) :D I just watched the show and they seemed to favour the alien/ufo invasion theory. Personally I think it's more probable that they are some form of undiscovered insect. There was some amazing footage shown though.

No problem, they seem to be incredibly hard to catch, because of the speed they travel and
seem to be composed of liquid. Unless you can grab them somehow without making break
up into small particles and freeze them immediately. I believe some have been caught but
all they end up with is a puddle. I bet they are some kind of animal/insect or bacteria or
small intelligent particles have learned how to made a suitable body as a mode of transportation??
I have never seen one, but then again I dont look for them. A mysterious insect???

My bf's theory is that rods have been around 4 a very long time but only due to our technological advances in photography that have allowed us to now capture them as an image . He agrees that they are possibly a species of creature rather than a UFO phenomenon. He also thinks that they may be some type of interdimensional creature that due to speeds can slip between dimensions as another possibility. He has'nt quite made his mind up yet :rolleyes:

I was amazed by the vids of the rods, never saw anything like that before.

Wasn't there a weird letter in the FT a few years ago about invisible/translucent creatures which swim about in the atmosphere? Sounds like these things.

Flying rods

Did anyone see the program last night on Sky One, about flying rods? I was greatly intrigued by this, but fell asleep halfway through the program.
Does anybody have any more info or insights on this subject?

What an absolute crock that program was!!!!!

More ridiculousness I have not encountered in a long while.

Aliens, conspiracy, invaders from another world.

No real analysis, we saw a guy doing calculations and not much else. No investiogating into what it could be. No examination of wghat was available. There was an inference of it being an invertibrate but no real analysis of it being abything else. Nothing on the flight pattern, the physics involved.

It was just pure sensationalist tabloid b*ll*cks.

The only thing worse was the fact that the King Solomon's Mines docu on Ch4 was as equally crap.

This docu shed about as much light on the subject as lighting a fart, with less academic worth.

LD

I agree. It wasn't the most scientific or intelligent programme. Why they decided they were alien invaders I never worked out. However the footage was amazing! :)

didn't see the show myself but a guy in our office put me on to this...rods

Wasn't entirely sure which of the 3 threads on this topic to

Seems most relevant here, considering the subject matter of previously undetected flying insects/beasties.

Ladies and Gentlemen, May I present for your edification and amusement a story by that famed author and investigator of the unknown, Mr Arthur Conan Doyle:-

The Horror of the Heights
(WHICH INCLUDES THE MANUSCRIPT KNOWN AS THE JOYCE-ARMSTRONG FRAGMENT)
By Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1913)

I put a link to this story (rather than the entire text because it is somewhat lengthy and I didn't want to bog the thread down with items for people to wade through) because it seems a remarkable case of archetypal/mythic resonance. Check it out and see what you think! Had me giggling with mirth when I watched the conclusions drawn on the programme last night.

Draw your own conclusions.

Meanwhile, so as we do not merely leech bandwidth from the host of the site which published the story, please do look around the rest of the site if you have time. Contains other Victorian Science Fantasy texts (including Carnacki the Ghost hunter and the Professer Challenger stories) all of which have a decidedly fortean theme, as well as an RPG which is worth a look if you are into that sort of thing.

Back