• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Protopterygotes / Sky Rods / Sky Fish

I've been a birder for 40 years and see nothing in that video to indicate fright; if a small passerine bird was scared, it would take flight...

Yup. If a slight puffing up of the feathers indicates fright then there's an avian War of the Worlds going on in my front garden right now.

Yup. If a slight puffing up of the feathers indicates fright then there's an avian War of the Worlds going on in my front garden right now.
Or, and it's just a wild guess, it's a bit nippy out.

Not to worry... I'll fix that with the super spectate playback feature...
ie.
The video will start at a point... 10.030 ( ten seconds plus 3/100)
Then play for 1/20 of a second pausing for 1/1000 second
Then resume video at 10.031
play for another 1/20 of a second pausing for 1/1000 second
on and on
for the special segment where the tobacco leaf sky creature is.
I'll get my camcorder close to the screen and video that playback.
Post it to youtube ....
Then even those who don't really look can see.

dbp0057.JPG

These creatures have been following for a long time...

What is that strange strange artifact?

dbp0057.JPG

These creatures have been following for a long time...

What is that strange strange artifact?
It just looks like damage on the negative resulting in an artifact on the print; why would you think it's some kind of creature?

Super slow with rapid repeat and you'll see...

I'll do the other ones in the demo85_pict7 video and the evidence will be overwhelming.
You scientists just can't stand us dummies discovering anything before you.
Yup your nose is out of joint.

I recently set up a camera which takes a photo of the sky about once every 20 seconds during daylight hours. To my surprise, each day it captures maybe 1-2 'rods'! Here are some examples:

rods.jpg

They're all the same length (though the trails vary) so perhaps it is just the one 'rod' darting about.

I think in the last one you can see the points in the contrail where the pulse detonation engine kicked in :crazy:

I recently set up a camera which takes a photo of the sky about once every 20 seconds during daylight hours. To my surprise, each day it captures maybe 1-2 'rods'! Here are some examples:

View attachment 26845

They're all the same length (though the trails vary) so perhaps it is just the one 'rod' darting about.

I think in the last one you can see the points in the contrail where the pulse detonation engine kicked in :crazy:
What is the pink trail, I wonder?
Also... they do seem to be precisely parallel to the Earth's surface - i.e. very level. Are there any at different angles?

I recently set up a camera which takes a photo of the sky about once every 20 seconds during daylight hours. ...

Can you provide some specifics about the camera setup you're using? I especially want to know whether the (apparently digital) camera is connected to a computer for acquiring and storing its photos.

Don't the rod thingies have a kind of rippling arrangement along their side, a bit like some eels ?

View attachment 26845

Is this always horizontal in the image?

Can you provide some specifics about the camera setup you're using? I especially want to know whether the (apparently digital) camera is connected to a computer for acquiring and storing its photos.

Yes, it's a Raspberry Pi Zero W with the official camera module attached.

Is this always horizontal in the image?
What is the pink trail, I wonder?
Also... they do seem to be precisely parallel to the Earth's surface - i.e. very level. Are there any at different angles?

They're all horizontal like that, and distinct from birds (so almost certainly something to do with the way the camera is processing what it sees).

They're all horizontal like that, and distinct from birds (so almost certainly something to do with the way the camera is processing what it sees).
Odd.

Thanks for the additional data.

Appearances can be deceiving, but ... I don't think those horizontal lines are "in" the image so much as they are "about" the image (capture; processing).

At face value they look like progress bars illustrating a how much of a task or transaction is completed. In other words, they look like a transient inadvertent capture of something that's cueing the user something is taking a while to complete.

I've just seen your additional photos ...

OK - the newer photos don't look so much like progress bars.

However ... They all appear at the same relative location within frame - i.e., centered. That's more of a coincidence than I can casually attribute to the scene. I therefore think it's an artifact resulting from some sort of glitch in the camera or image file processing.

I've just seen your additional photos ...

OK - the newer photos don't look so much like progress bars.

However ... They all appear at the same relative location within frame - i.e., centered. That's more of a coincidence than I can casually attribute to the scene. I therefore think it's an artifact resulting from some sort of glitch in the camera or image file processing.

Oh, they're not centered - I'm cropping them out of a larger 2000 x 1200 photo. I agree it's something to do with the software though.

Oh, they're not centered - I'm cropping them out of a larger 2000 x 1200 photo. I agree it's something to do with the software though.

Oh, OK ... Thanks for the additional info ... It had occurred to me I needed to ask whether the images you posted were cropped from larger ones. Still ...

Do the horizontal bars always appear in the center of the larger / original image? Or do they appear most anywhere within these images?

Do the horizontal bars always appear in the center of the larger / original image? Or do they appear most anywhere within these images?

Well, they always appear in the 'sky' portion of the image...

image01482.jpg

Well, they always appear in the 'sky' portion of the image ...

But not necessarily in the same relative location within the image (center; top left; etc.)?

Don't the rod thingies have a kind of rippling arrangement along their side, a bit like some eels ?
Allegedly...
2020-06-04 10.07.19.png

YouTube AcrobatTV of 'sky rods' in Arabia

These seem to present a 'multihumped screw thread'....a reductionist explanation would favour an image artefact resulting from a large winged insect flypast being deceptively-captured by inadvertant interpolation between the biomechanical wing flapping periodicity and digital videocamera shutter-speeds/sampling rates. This is sometimes referred to in imaging technology as aliasing...

I would much prefer an inter-dimensional paraphotonic sprite, but I'm not holding my breath....

Yes, it's a Raspberry Pi Zero W with the official camera module attached.
That's absolutely excellent (and your technical perspicacity is genuinely-impressive) but surely you'd hardly describe such a developmental / experimental conglom to be a conventional image capture device?

And before I or anyone else thinks that such a synthesis might usefully be more optically-perceptive than a....camera, surely a Pi Zero is one of these incredibly-decluttered minimalist IoT SBCs-the-size-of-a-matchbox? I'm going to guess (and, as you know, I'm not cheating by checking) that this single board computer may not exactly be awash with lots of RAM (ie if it glitches during any proper processing process....expectedly) resulting, quite possibly, in flawed outputs, well....kind of quite-like these pictures.

But: you're sort-of alluding to the fact you've thought of that already.

Coincidently: I've seen over the last few days for the first time in my life a natural phenomenon which *in some ways* is reminiscent of the sky-rod effect (albeit in miniature)...and I do mean, subjectively, tiny very-horizontal rods just visible not too far above the ground. That's a big clue to what it was I actually seeing (I'm not yet going to say what it was that I was seeing....you can all have a guess, and I will tell my story later).

Back