• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Protopterygotes / Sky Rods / Sky Fish

Dark rod-shaped masses moving at a speed so fast that they were apparently inperceptable to the people they were flying near to, with what appears to be some sort of long wing or fin along it's length.

Right, yeah, I know what you're talking about. I've certainly seen footage before. Literally only noticeable when the film is slowed right down, because the rod is passing that quickly.

Them's the buggers.
I remember watching the program and seeing some guy talking about how they were every where and how you can discover them by slowing down film footage from outside, they even found one by slowing down footage from another TV program (I think it was some period drama) that was filmed outside. It seemed pretty inevitable at the time that this would eventually be explained (someone said it might be a camera effect that you get when you get an insect flying in front of the camera) but I haven't heard a thing about it since.

Emperor said:
Threads merged - happy reading :)
Cheers. :yeay:

I say, how helpfull. You don't get this kid of service on the Bizarre boards, over there they tell you to "go screw yourself nOOb" and "go find it yourself". :rolleyes: :D

Quazi Washboard said:
I say, how helpfull. You don't get this kid of service on the Bizarre boards, over there they tell you to "go screw yourself nOOb" and "go find it yourself". :rolleyes: :D

If it'd make you feel more at home this can be arranged and as you are coming across from a sister site I think we can dort out a reduced rate too ;)

Emperor said:
If it'd make you feel more at home this can be arranged and as you are coming across from a sister site I think we can dort out a reduced rate too ;)
No no, quite alright, no need to go out of your way on my behalf!

Well, if you could just poke me with a sharp stick and call me s**thead occasionally, that would be nice! ;) :D

Any new information pro or con about "rods?"
From Minor Drag

I was watching that new Sky1 programme last week Proof Positive with Amanda Tapping (Carter from SG 1 in case anyone doesn't know who that is) and they had a piece on rods, now don't get me wrong i take anything that appears on Sky with a pinch of salt (any one see Uri in Venice will know exactly what i'm talking about) especially when its of a fortean bent but the piece they did on Rods all but explained them away as insects. The video evidence was scrutenized by various experts and from what i could see there is rods but they are merely insects flying through camera shot. I'm sure this programme will be repeated again it is sky 1 after all next time i see it advertised i'll post a msg.

Taken this morning on top of the Lecht (Highlands), from a moving car (~50 mph):

rod1rh.jpg

Hmmm....

Conditions: it was very sunny, clear, no rain at all, all day.
No, it wasn't a pole stuck in the ground. No, I didn't see it at the time.
Haven't really taken any interest in 'rods' until now.

Oh no! The rods have mutated - they are now bigger, faster, stronger - POLES!!!!

Yes. This was bound to happen sooner or later... The rods have landed!

But Taras, why did you take that picture? The scenery is not that interesting, surely?

The camera seems to be outside the car, so there's a risk of not only getting a piccie of an insect, but getting one splatted on the lens at 50 mph! :shock:
(And if your camera is like mine, it would not be easy to clean off.)

I thought that rods had been proven scientifically as the cameras inability to deal with fast moving objects ?

Not "proven" AFAIK - however, it's a strong contender as theories go.

taras said:
Taken this morning on top of the Lecht (Highlands), from a moving car (~50 mph):

It wasn't a single lane stretch, was it? :lol:

The little, diamond shaped, 'Passing Place' sign has been knocked off by a passing motorist, probably after having drink taken.

t150616.jpg

taras said:
Conditions: it was very sunny, clear, no rain at all, all day.
No, it wasn't a pole stuck in the ground. No, I didn't see it at the time.
Haven't really taken any interest in 'rods' until now.

Playing Devil's advocate for a moment, if you didn't see it at the time, why couldn't it be a simple, unexciting pole..?

PS: Good point, Androman. If I'd read your post earlier, I wouldn't have bothered with mine...

Nah it wasn't a single lane stretch... I was taking the picture because it was the highest point that the road got to (I guess I was a bit bored after 2 hours driving up and down hills!)

I have taken the precaution of boarding up my windows in case the poles try to get me.

edit: Plus, why would there be a passing place sign after a huge and obvious passing place? I think the poles might have something to do with it. Digging deeper, I found references to government documents which state clearly that President George W Bush has been in discussion with the Poles for approximaaaaaaaaargh NO !! NOOOOo!!!!

*clunk*

*silence*

taras said:
Nah it wasn't a single lane stretch... I was taking the picture because it was the highest point that the road got to (I guess I was a bit bored after 2 hours driving up and down hills!)

I was a bit worried by the white line at the side of the road. There's not usually enough room for one, on those little single lane roads, up there.

Still, you could probably still get it posted on Art Bell's Coast to Coast web site.

We won't tell! ;)

I can tell you this much about "flying rods", if you were to have a large plexiglass container full of flys and various bugs, and take a photograph or two, you would see a plentiful number of mysterious "rods". Not saying every rod photo can be explained away as an insect or bird, but I would say a good portion of them could.

Flying Rods

About 18 months ago there seemed to be a flurry of interest in the so-called flying rods which apparently travelled at speeds that rendered them invisible to the human eye. I don't remember the name of the programme, but there was video footage of the things zooming around some cave mouth in the middle of a jungle and some bloke was talking about them being as-yet undiscovered animals of some kind and suggested they may even be alien in origin. Does anyone know if all this was followed-up or any further discoveries made? :?:

Try looking here:

[Emp edit: Threads merged and link removed]

My husband got a flying rod on video while taping a service at the Lutheran church. He promises to upload the sequence. I'll let you know as soon as he does. (He and I agree with the theory that the rods are products of the digital camera's inability to track fast-moving objects--but fun nevertheless.)

Rods

I was just watching a documentary here about rods:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9967750938

Which are apparently not mentioned on this board.

I wasn't sure whether they belonged to the UFO or the cryptozoology threads, but the general consensus seems to mark them out as a new form of life. Does anyone know much more?

We haven't had a Post about 'rods' for about 3 years. :)

Unfortunately, the general consensus at the time was that it was down to shutter speed/pixel glitches in filming, with digital video.

Some of them little insects and birds turned digitally turned into 'rods,' looked quite convincing, too.

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3983&highlight=rods

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12940&highlight=rods

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1127&highlight=rods

Abendstern said:
Which are apparently not mentioned on this board.

Erm.. yeah we do :). Now merged.

I wasn't sure whether they belonged to the UFO or the cryptozoology threads, but the general consensus seems to mark them out as a new form of life. Does anyone know much more?

As to whether it's ufology or crypto is another matter: as they fly and are unidentified, we'll keep them in Ufology for the mo, but I agree they're seriously borderline.

Erk! Red face of the week on my end, I thought the FT search engine searched through the FTMB as well.Thanks for your help!

i read somewhere from a seemingly reliable source that it is proven they are insects who can flap their wings three times in the time the camera shutter is open.

Back