• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Protopterygotes / Sky Rods / Sky Fish

I read that if you don't close your windows on New Year's Eve....the rods will get in.

:shock:

ElishevaBarsabe said:
My husband got a flying rod on video while taping a service at the Lutheran church. He promises to upload the sequence. I'll let you know as soon as he does. (He and I agree with the theory that the rods are products of the digital camera's inability to track fast-moving objects--but fun nevertheless.)
Any update on this, elishiva?

ttaarraass said:
I read that if you don't close your windows on New Year's Eve....the rods will get in.

:shock:

*nods*
I'm not superstitious but I still close all the windows on New Year's Eve. You never know.
Also, I never look in a mirror with only one sock on. You see a rod then.

escargot1 said:

I looked in a full length mirror last night wearing two socks and nothing else and distinctly saw a rod, so the number of socks seems to be immaterial.

Was the window open?
(The curtains were.)

Heckler20 said:
escargot1 said:
I looked in a full length mirror last night wearing two socks and nothing else and distinctly saw a rod, so the number of socks seems to be immaterial.
Which way was it pointing, though? That makes a huge difference. Well, a small difference, anyway.

escargot1 said:
Was the window open?
(The curtains were.)
Hence the restraining order brought by his neighbours.

escargot1 said:

If men look in the mirror with one sock on, you can't really see their r..

*ahem*

Sorry, I've gome and done it again haven't I?

"As far as alien creatures in a ship, I don't know about that," Mowry said. "But there is a lot of stuff out there that we don't know about, and this is one of those things."
No it isn't - it's an insect caught on video camera. This is an explained phenomenon- why is that photographer insisting it is extraordinary?

eburacum said:
"As far as alien creatures in a ship, I don't know about that," Mowry said. "But there is a lot of stuff out there that we don't know about, and this is one of those things."
No it isn't - it's an insect caught on video camera. This is an explained phenomenon- why is that photographer insisting it is extraordinary?

In the narrative of the fillum , it is said that they believe the "object" flew past the plane and went behind a cloud.
If they believe that, then the "object" would have to have been much larger and faster than an insect.
As to why they believe this, I cannot say, it could have been something small that simply dissapeared from view at a short distance due to its size,
and happened to vanish at the clouds edge(from their viewpoint, a few yards to either side and it would have looked totally diferent.)

'Sky rods'!

Hi there,

Just wondering if there are any posts on here about so called 'sky rods' or 'roswell rods' as they seem to be called?

Apparently they are a fish/Serpent like creature that lives in the skys? But they are naked to the Human eye because they move at great speed and they have only recently (1994) been detected thanks to high speed vidio camera's.

Some say they are just insects, such as Moths filmed at super speeds, but as they are invisible to the naked eye, I don't quite get this theory?

Others say they are simply a newly discovered species, some think they are linked to ufo's and Spheres, and even the Tibeten and the Maya!

..and one guy claims to have knocked one out of the sky as a kid and held one!

As I've only recently heard of them, I would be interested to find out any more info on them? Or other theories on them that people might have?

Best wishes, Firefly52

I find the 'rods' phenomenon to be very interesting as well. Have you seen the video of the parachutists as they dive into a collapsed cave in Central America? Several odd looking things are captured on the film. All very strange!

TheCavynaut said:
I find the 'rods' phenomenon to be very interesting as well. Have you seen the video of the parachutists as they dive into a collapsed cave in Central America? Several odd looking things are captured on the film. All very strange!

No, I havn't seen that! I've just checked on google and u tube, and seen a whole range of variations of these so called 'sky rods'!

Will see if I come across the one you refer to!

They're quite fun to watch whatever they are! Better that the 'Red Arrows'! Ha.

Firefly52

Flying rods are nothing more than insects captured by the scanning mechanism of certain types of video camera. You don't notice the insects that cause the rods because- well, in general, people just don't notice insects.
It's as simple as that.

surely they must be unknown insects as they clearly are rod shaped and have a kind of "helix" like wing structure. Or is this due to the cameras [i.e an artefact due to pixellation]?

There was a History Channel show that managed to film one on a bog-standard video camera and a high-speed camera at the same time. On video it was a rod, on the high speed camera it was a moth. It's clearly down to your average camera's inability to film insects flying at speed.

Funny innit?
These things, like orbs, start appearing alongside the tech of the digital cameras when countless movies have been made over the last century with millions of miles of footage shot at different shutter speeds.

Take a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

....for the lowdown on the professional view on orbishness and the 'circle of confusion'.

I'm sure that rods are a similar glitch in the tech probably caused by attempting to interpolate the fleeting movement of insects with a software recognition system that tries to make sense of bluriness.

I've used a video camera to film plenty of stuff outside, seen plenty of things on the resulting film that are insects, but none of them look like rods. How does that work then?

I work with digital camera technology every day. There are a few things you'll need to know when dealing with "rods":

Is the camera using a CCD or CMOS for image aquisition? CMOS cameras are cheaper and lower quality. They are "noisier". This can cause blobs and orbs - especially if the camera is hot.

Is the chip interlaced or progressive? Interlaced chips have a pattern of, well, interlaced circuitry - it reads one set of lines and then the other set of lines and places them in the appropriate places in the image. Since the time between the aquisition from the first tap and the aquisition from the second tap are different artifacts can be created in the image from fast movement. Get something moving fast and close to the lens and you've got yourself a picture of a "rod".

Hi cavynaught , As previous poster implied, you need to be using a camera that is recording interlaced video to get the classic rod. i.e. the ones with the spiral going around. Doesnt always appear, depends on the speed and distance from the camera of the insect or bird. The fact you havent seen any suggests you have a camera which captures progressive frames, please tell us the model?

Other rods that sometimes crop up are pictures of solar balloons, these are party items that consist of a long tube of black plastic, you fill it with air , tie a knot at one end, and leave it in the sun and the black plastic will absorb the heat and transfer to the air inside. it will eventually float away never to be seen again, except in UFO photos.

The other type of rod is the rod captured by a progressive device. It will produce a boring straight line or usually a blur, a blurfo

One thing to remember about all this is that there are not too many eyewitness reports of rod like UFOs, I cant immediately think of any. It is a classic, 'i dint see anything at the time, but then i looked at my film and there it was' scenario.

basically, the vast majority of rod pictures and videos are not aliens, again I cant think of any interesting ones of the top of my head.

o and just a quick one on orbs, as in the classic in the graveyard or in the haunted house jobs, they're not aliens either, its out of focus dust and water droplets. Although some, such as the Hessdalen lights and other reports of balls of light are more interesting.

Re: 'Sky rods'!

firefly52 said:
..and one guy claims to have knocked one out of the sky as a kid and held one!

Now that's a story I'd care to read! Have you got a link or a reference, or is it just one of those things you read somewhere and it lodged in your head? (Don't feel bad if so; happens to all of us. I can't reference half the things I'm sure are true, even now that I write down every book I read as soon as I finish it.)

[deleted by rynner - post now superfluous.]

It'll be merged in time. For the moment though, this thread is doing OK for itself - besides, some do get put off reading relatively long threads, made longer by a premature merge.

tony_carson said:
rynner, why are you linking to the thread you're actually on :lol:
Because I wasn't on this thread when I first posted - a bit of surreptitious mergerisation has taken place since! 8)

(I'll delete my earlier post now, to reduce the confusion!)

rynner said:
tony_carson said:
rynner, why are you linking to the thread you're actually on :lol:
Because I wasn't on this thread when I first posted - a bit of surreptitious mergerisation has taken place since! 8)

(I'll delete my earlier post now, to reduce the confusion!)

Myabe you should delete Mr Carsons Message too, as this is confusing not to find the messsage you posted which gave the link to this thread, with which Mr Carsons message was relating to. Now we have a qoute in Mr Carsons message which no longer relates to any message in this thread, And while your at it your previous message is no longer of any use, now that the deed is done, and when you've done that you can delete this message too, because like the previous three posts, one of which no longer exists, it's of no value to this thread what so ever.

...Unless of course I use the term Rod, and hense it now mentions within it's textual borders, at least one reference to the Threads initial subject.

Back