• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Psychometry

Ulalume

tart of darkness
I noticed we didn't have a dedicated thread specifically about psychometry (or at least search didn't turn it up) so I've taken the liberty of creating one. (Psychometry is the alleged ability to sense the history of a object through touch, by the way)

I'll start with something that happened to me today, but feel free to add your own experiences, stories and comments.

Today my brother showed up with a crucifix and asked me to hold it and tell him if I sensed anything from it. After holding it a minute, I told him that it felt as if it had belonged to an elderly Episcopalian couple and that it felt rather peaceful and calm. He said he'd bought it at an estate sale, and while he could confirm it had belonged to an elderly couple, he didn't know what religion they were. Well, all right. Little did I know the freak was just warming up for what he really wanted to know.

Next thing he does, he drops a man's jacket in my lap and asks if I sense anything about this item. At first I assumed the jacket had come from the same sale, but seconds later I realize it hadn't. There was a heavy, negative feeling about the jacket. My chest began to feel constricted and achy, then my lungs and throat. It became hard to breathe. There was a sense of anxiety and abandonment. It felt as if the person who owned the jacket was beset by intense stress and worry. There was a hollow feeling in my heart and a pit of dread in my stomach.

This was disturbing, so I asked my brother if he knew the person who'd owned this jacket. He said he did. For a second (and this is really odd, now I think about it) I wondered if it had belonged to our dad, then I thought - no, our dad died from kidney failure, not strangulation or a breathing problem. I described all these things to my brother and told him whoever had owned the jacket was suffering intense anxiety, stress and sense of abandonment. Brother then revealed the jacket had belonged to an in-law of his, who'd died of suicide by hanging after being left by his wife and burdened by financial worries. Brother said my assessment of the person's mood had been accurate.

What's more, he said, various people in the victim's family had kept the jacket at one time or another, and they'd all had nothing but bad luck. The last person who'd kept it passed it off to my brother a couple of days before. He'd left it in his car, only to have his car break down, his battery go dead and a flat tire in the short time it had been there. He asked if I thought the jacket was bad luck. I said I didn't know but in my opinion it was a seriously negative object to have around.

And by the way, bro, thanks a lot for dropping an object you believe to be cursed right into my lap with no warning. :rolleyes: I had to take a bath afterwards to get rid of the bad vibes.

I don't consider myself to be "psychic" per se, but I do consider myself to be deeply empathetic. If psychometry is a real ability, I believe it might be empathy related - at least they feel the same to me.

Last edited:
There is an angle of possibility here that you're highlighting to me.

If one were to accept that some forms of parapsychological information flows were capable of existing (and that the prime affecting variables were: the extent to which the recipient was personally-sensitive to such effects; followed by, say, the physical 'reading context' (by which perhaps I might mean distractions, multiple influences and so on).

Any putative conduit effect seems (to me, again just in principle) capable of being amplified or assisted by the handling of intimate physical objects ( this subjective opinion is of course still far away from overall mechanism...it's more the concept of conductive immersion and access)

You will of course be aware of popular science attempts to prove/show whether or not humans can smell fear (cf TV programmes such as Mythbusters, and their purported 'terror teeshirt sweat-tests'). Do you subscribe to any primal level of physiological capability in this respect? Could you somehow smell his fear and despair, a pheromonal extended proprioception? Poor guy...

Could you have received other more prosaic clues or influences from the jacket? Dry cleaning fluid evaporate emitted from an undisturbed lining? Nicotinoid or cannabinoid particulate? If it'd been handed to you wrapped in a giant prophylactic, might you not have experienced the reaction you did?

Psychometry is a fascinating possibility. The 'stone tape' precept has always really gripped me as somehow being capable of being real, even if only at the most vestigial levels.

And of course you now have a problem. Because you're going to want to investigate this further, aren't you? Does your faculty support any strands of Koestler-style research? If not, might it?

That jacket sounds like bad news. What have you done with it? I'd have been inclined to burn it, on an outdoors bonfire.

I've never experienced any psychometric talent in myself, although I have witnessed Spiritualist mediums who seemed to produce interesting info about objects presented for a reading. Items such as clothing and jewelry, that had been regularly worn by someone, seemed to produce the best results.

That jacket sounds like bad news. What have you done with it? I'd have been inclined to burn it, on an outdoors bonfire.

I've never experienced any psychometric talent in myself, although I have witnessed Spiritualist mediums who seemed to produce interesting info about objects presented for a reading. Items such as clothing and jewelry, that had been regularly worn by someone, seemed to produce the best results.
I agree - give it a funeral!
A friend of mine has witnessed psychometry done to a high degree of accuracy. I have no idea how it is done.
I can handle antiques that have a LOT of history, and get nothing at all from it.

I have often wondered about this. Is it possible we leave some kind of vibrations?
I have always been able to tell if something belongs to me by the feel of it.
There was a cross I bought at a school fete and I could feel definite vibrations from it.
One of my friends was trying to work out who had owned some old jewellery her Mother had left and asked me to hold it and say what I felt.
I saw in my mind two different women but neither of us knew if I was accurate.
I think I wrote before about a carved wooden figure I bought at a garage sale that felt evil when I got it home so I put it outside and later wrapped it in birthday paper and left it by the side of the car at the shopping centre.

so I put it outside and later wrapped it in birthday paper and left it by the side of the car at the shopping centre.

wonderful!

I think I wrote before about a carved wooden figure I bought at a garage sale that felt evil when I got it home so I put it outside and later wrapped it in birthday paper and left it by the side of the car at the shopping centre.
I don't remember that story. Did somebody walk off with it?

Hi all,

Ermintrude - Actually, I honestly don't know if I would have been able to sense anything about the jacket had it been wrapped in anything (giant prophylactic or otherwise). I've never tried reading something that way that I can recall. This much I could consciously gather about the jacket: that it was a man's jacket, that it was well cared for and probably expensive. I didn't examine it further, because brother specifically said not to look at it but just tell him if I sensed anything. At first I'd thought he'd just bought the item, but when I noticed the interested way he was waiting for my assessment, I realized it must be Meaningful somehow.

That was what I consciously knew. As for unconscious...well, that's the problem with unconscious awareness, isn't it. :p I can't even begin to guess.

I'm not sure what you mean by "faculty" (unless you mean my nutty weirdness-magnet family) but please, by all means, do all the research you want. I'll even volunteer.

Rynner- the jacket is not in my possession currently. My Brother still has it. I suppose the man's family members had kept the jacket because no one wanted to destroy their loved one's favorite item of clothing (he apparently wore it often) so just passed it on when they couldn't stand it any more. If it were up to me, it would dispose of it somehow, but it's likely to be up to brothers wife to decide what to do with it - it was her relative to whom it belonged.

It has occurred to me that it's a symbol of grief to the family and that may be another reason it seems to bring bad luck.

Mytho- it's interesting that you get nothing at all from handling antiques. Maybe psychometry is not as easy as I thought - i don't even have to concentrate very much. It just shows up. Of course there are plenty of other psychic and paranormal skills that I have no success with at all.

Iris - thanks for sharing your experiences. Very clever way of getting rid of the carved figure, by the way! I suspect iit's a kind of vibration, too, or a sort of resonance that people have. I have the feeling that empathy might work this way too.

When I was doing the tarot readings here on the board - because it was at a distance - I had to tune into a sort of "signal" that belonged to the person I was reading for. Face-to-face this is so easy that it's really unconscious, but from a distance I had to work at it until I felt "tuned in" to that person (and some were easier to tune into than others). It may be the same vibration, signal, resonance (or whatever it is) at work, and maybe it works easiest hands-on?

I don't know, but it's something to think about.

I'm not sure what you mean by "faculty" (unless you mean my nutty weirdness-magnet family) but please, by all means, do all the research you want. I'll even volunteer..

I wrongly, then, had somehow thought, from a far-off comment, that you had some involvement with a community college?

Hopefully your magnet family stick together in a constructive way, and aren't in polar opposition. We all take too much hurt from those we love and live with, even when we can't see or feel it.

I wrongly, then, had somehow thought, from a far-off comment, that you had some involvement with a community college?

Oh, yes. That was a long time ago, alas, and far away. (Imagining that particular institution supporting any kind of paranormal reseach is kind of funny - it's conservative to an absurd degree. They considered folk tales to be too "progressive" for literature class. No joke.)

Hopefully your magnet family stick together in a constructive way, and aren't in polar opposition. We all take too much hurt from those we love and live with, even when we can't see or feel it.

We do our best. We try to focus on the good things. The tendency to have anomalous experiences has run in the family for many generations, and it's one of the things that binds the younger generation to the older. A sense of belonging to a family history, even if there is sometimes polar opposition. :)

Do any of you know about serious research done into psychometry?

When I was doing the tarot readings here on the board - because it was at a distance - I had to tune into a sort of "signal" that belonged to the person I was reading for. Face-to-face this is so easy that it's really unconscious, but from a distance I had to work at it until I felt "tuned in" to that person (and some were easier to tune into than others). It may be the same vibration, signal, resonance (or whatever it is) at work, and maybe it works easiest hands-on?

are you thinking of doing it again? xxxx

Back